• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegetarian quick service and kid meals

Momtomouselover

DIS Veteran
I really wish WDW would add some more vegetarian quick service options and more kid vegetarian dishes both at table service and quick service. I feel like my kid pretty much only has the option of pizza, Mac n' cheese, pb&j ala Smuckers, and occasionally a different pasta (spaghetti or ravioli). Wouldn't it be easy to add a veggie dog (Tofurkey has a good one) to Caseys corner or other locations? Some more veggie burgers, or hearty salads (just add some chick pease, kidney beans and nuts), or even Gardein products? A bean burrito with fixings? A pita sandwich (feta,chickpeas...) or falafel? Lots of options. Am I alone in this feeling?

Some previously overlooked options I have been happy to find include a sweet or regular baked potato in the MK in Liberty Square, the Lighthouse hummus sandwich at Columbia House, and eating from the kiosks (Mr. Kamals I believe) in AK. what and where are your favorites?

I wholeheartedly agree. Having done WDW with a deluxe dining plan with DS at 5.5, 7 and 8, I know he and I both got tired of the limited vegetarian options on the kids' menus pretty much everywhere.

On the dining plan, they're restricted to the kids' menu, and how many times -- two meals a day, for 10 days -- can a kid eat macaroni, pizza, PB&J and pasta? We were both bored with the limited options. Even at Signature restaurants, the kids' menus are nearly identical, with the same limited options. You'd think they'd come up with something more creative there!

I had a few restaurants where I basically said this to the server and was rewarded with a kid-sized version of an adult entree, still using the kid's meal allotment from the dining plan. I met some resistance with the idea when I tried it at the same restaurant the following year, but when I said they'd done it previously, they agreed.

This year, DS will be 10 when we go, so if we do the dining plan again (still on the fence on that one!), he'll be able to eat from the entire menu anyway, or if we don't do the dining plan, he can still eat whatever he wants. So, that part of the problem is resolved for us. However, even the adult menus need more vegetarian options than the one or two most restaurants have.

I agree. It was very difficult for my 2 youngest to find things to eat for kid's meals.

The Plaza offers an adult veggie burger, but not for kids. There's a vegetarian sandwich for adults, but not for kids. We were lucky enough to have the chef come out after I'd explained our dietary restrictions to help us find something for the girls. He ended up making a child-sized vegetarian sandwich for them.

I wish they'd offer adult choices in kid portions so it would be easier to dine for those with children that have dietary restrictions.

Studio Catering at HS has a grilled vegetarian sandwich and does offer a kid-sized version of the exact same. If they can do it there, it can be implemented in other places as well.

Very much in agreement! They have wonderful variety for adult vegetarians, but not so much kids. We sometimes end up ordering off the adult menu for her even though she won't eat it all. She likes hummus and pita bread, veggie burgers, etc...

Yes, exactly. As an adult I typically only have trouble finding appetizing quick service options while staying for a week. However, my child has very limited options everywhere if he chooses from the kids menu. On the last trip I ended up sharing an adult meal with him and then adding apps, a salad or dessert. However he is really at the age he needs his own meal. I have also asked about child sizes of adult meals and sometimes was told no and other times accommodated. Sometimes I have to ask for sauces or spices to be left off or put on the side as well.

I wonder if veg options are limited due to demand or lack of a vegetarian friendly consultant/chef. I can come up with all sorts of ideas. Veggie chili? You can make tacos out of that, burritos, in a bowl (cheddar or sour cream optional), on a potato. All from one thing. Veggie chicken strips (all sorts of premade or could make own) can go in a wrap, on a salad, as nuggets for a kid. Again, veggie hot dogs with or without toppings wherever regular dogs served. Barbecued seitan or tofu as a sandwich where barbecue is served. Even grilled cheese with option of peppers or avocado.

Studio Catering at HS has a grilled vegetarian sandwich and does offer a kid-sized version of the exact same. If they can do it there, it can be implemented in other places as well.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing! HS is especially hard IMO.

We are a family of vegetarians who go to WDW every few months, so we have tried it all! I have a few suggestions...

*Note - we do not do the dining plan and I just order off the regular menu for the kids a lot of the time because it's easier....

We love the veggie burger at Pecos Bill because they have the big fixins' bar with sautéed mushrooms and onions - it's amazing with some bbq sauce :) Plus, they'll put it on a gluten free bun for you (which I like)...

My son loves the nutella & fresh fruit waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow. I try to avoid gluten as much as possible, so I haven't had it. It looks great though :) His other "must-do" is the cream cheese filled hot pretzel at the Lunching Pad. Not healthy, but it's a treat.

I love the potato soup at Be Our Guest for lunch. I get it with a side of french fries actually and just get a double-potato lunch - lol.

The Japanese pavilion in Epcot is my favorite because I love the veggie sushi, tempura veggies, rice, etc. We've been known to get some "hold-the-beef" nachos in Mexico for lunch there too. And I always get fresh caramel corn in Germany, which to be honest, has been my lunch before....

This is a table service restaurant, but on our last trip, I went to Kona and got the veggie noodle bowl and adored it! We had some veggie sushi as an appetizer and it was good too. We got a press pot coffee for dessert and just sat there so happy...

Oh, and In Hollywood Studios, we love Sci Fi for the fried pickles, veggie burger and sweet potato fries. For counter service, I honestly think we had oatmeal raisin cookies and coffee from the Writers Stop - lol - but that was yummy :)

I would LOVE for Disney to keep adding more veggie dishes to the menu. I try something new every time and I do think they're improving. :)

While it is vacation and we can treat ourselves, I have to agree that childrens options could be a little more diverse. Though I do give Disney credit for starting to give more options but they still have a ways to go.

On our last trip my sister told me that my nephew is very picky and wouldn't eat a lot of what was available. Well we went to 'Ohana and Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner and he ate a bit of everything and loved it. It was amazing really. I didn't tell my sister that there was a childrens menu available at 'Ohana either :lmao:

As a child I ate pretty much anything. While I did enjoy pizza and chicken fingers if I was offered a turkey or tuna sandwich I would have chosen those more often. Give me a side of carrot or grapes and I was in heaven.

As more people are choosing a plant based diet there should be more options available. Even for those of us who would like additional options for something different.

Here's to hoping more options become available in the near future pixiedust:

I really wish WDW would add some more vegetarian quick service options and more kid vegetarian dishes both at table service and quick service. I feel like my kid pretty much only has the option of pizza, Mac n' cheese, pb&j ala Smuckers, and occasionally a different pasta (spaghetti or ravioli). Wouldn't it be easy to add a veggie dog (Tofurkey has a good one) to Caseys corner or other locations? Some more veggie burgers, or hearty salads (just add some chick pease, kidney beans and nuts), or even Gardein products? A bean burrito with fixings? A pita sandwich (feta,chickpeas...) or falafel? Lots of options. Am I alone in this feeling?

Some previously overlooked options I have been happy to find include a sweet or regular baked potato in the MK in Liberty Square, the Lighthouse hummus sandwich at Columbia House, and eating from the kiosks (Mr. Kamals I believe) in AK. what and where are your favorites?

Many moons ago, there was a CS restaurant in the Wonders of Life pavilion that served veggie burgers, vegetarian hot dogs, salads, as well as other healthy meat-based options. This was our go-to place when I was a teenager, because I was vegetarian & my mom was quite health conscious. Sadly, it went away with the pavilion. :(

I thought of another option to share but it is TS. We went to Kimonos at the Swan and my son had edamame, rice, and a cucumber roll. I had a couple veg rolls, rice and miso soup. I was going to share the edamame with him but he likes it so much I let him eat most of it!

I like Kona as well. Noodle bowl with tofu is great! My son likes it too but no child version so have to order adult or share. I added sushi rolls and shared. We then split dessert.

I haven't tried Japanese at Epcot. I do know the China pavilion options ALL have meat in them. I have had nachos sans meat from Mexico. Not bad but sure wish they would add black beans. Sunshine Seasons always has a few veg options and I like that but world showcase could add a couple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter