Vehicle modifications

lsyorke

DIS Veteran
OK this isn't about Disney, but I have Googled until my head is about to explode and still can't find the information I need. So I turn to the Disboards keeper of all information.

Here's the situation. a friend on mine had one leg amputated(right) and is now doing well with the prosthesis and is looking to drive. Looks like it will only mean adapting the gas pedal to the left side. does anyone know if this adaptation will require new drivers testing/license??? I'm in New Jersey. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Laurie

I think your friend will probably use hand controls, they are not very expensive and there is no testing required.

If your friend will be using a left side accelerator, it's definitely something they'll have to get used to using, but I don't know if it will require testing or not. My DH learned how to drive using hand controls as part of his rehabilitation and didn't need to be tested specially for that. I'd suggest you call your local DMV office - they should know.

What about the conversion, who will be doing that? Check out www.clockconversions.com - they're based out of Michigan and do excellent work. I'm sure they could field many of your questions and maybe even point you in the direction of a conversion place close to your friend.

Oh, and I would think your friend's insurance would cover at least a portion of the conversion cost, if not all of it.

Thank you all for the responses! I told him to contact DMV and then go through his rehab doctor for the best modification for him.

Thanks again

Laurie

In Massachusetts my Driving instructor encouraged me to get retested with the handcontrols and my license is now coded for mechanical assistive driving. He said something about liability if I should have an accident and never been tested with the handcontrols a case might be made that I was not proficient. It did give me extra confidence. There is a question on the MA license renewal about change in physical ability or something like that . I guess if you answer yes then it would flag the renewal.
I got my driving instructions as well as the vehicle modifications through the Mass Rehab Commission, perhaps there is something like that for your friend.

I don't know if this will be useful or not, but here's a link to a pdf file about motor vehicle modifications whic lists names and addresses of different state coordinators:
www.driver-ed.org/files/public/STATE_VEHICLE_MODIFICATION_COORDINATORS_LISTING_2.DOC

(The whole 2 line thing is the adress. It was too long to fit in one line and the computer separated it).That was a good idea about the Rehab Council. Also try looking up Vacational Rehab. I know in a lot of states they have quite a bit to do with driving evaluations because that is one component that helps people get back to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter