Venice advice

Carol

Living the DREAM
My husband and I are taking the Alpine Magic tour in June. We are spending 3 pre tour days in Venice and then taking the train to Stresa Italy to meet up with our ABD group. Can you give any advice on things to do while we are there. I've looked at the Viva Italia tour and saw what is done during their Venice days. We are staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky (using HH points) on Giudecca. With no additional hotel cost and 3 days to recover from jet lag, we are excited about the extra "adventure".

My husband and I are taking the Alpine Magic tour in June. We are spending 3 pre tour days in Venice and then taking the train to Stresa Italy to meet up with our ABD group. Can you give any advice on things to do while we are there. I've looked at the Viva Italia tour and saw what is done during their Venice days. We are staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky (using HH points) on Giudecca. With no additional hotel cost and 3 days to recover from jet lag, we are excited about the extra "adventure".

I'm in Dr. Phillips and am going on Viva Italia on June 10th. Can't wait for that adventure! Have a great time...Venice should be awesome!

There is so much to do in Venice but the best thing of all is do just stroll the streets and enjoy. It is such a wonderful "walking about" city.

Of course if you are into history don't miss the Dodge's palace and St Mark's Cathedral. The best thing for me in Venice is to go into the neighborhoods instead of Piazza San Marco. Of course you have to go and see if you have never been but get out of that area and discover other parts of it. The best time in Piazza San Marco is at dusk and in the evening. Such a different feel then during the day when it is wall to wall people.

I would suggest reading the Frommers guidebook online about Venice where it shows what there is do to and see so that you can choose some of the places that appeal to you.

Enjoy I ADORE Venice.

Oh one more thing. If you want to really learn about Venice check out the trip advisor forums -loads of tips, ideas, etc.

We had an extra day in Venice. The tour did San Marco Plaza and the Cathedral so on our extra day we walked back and investigated the Doge's Palace (the Bridge of Sighs) on our own. Some took a water taxi over to the Murano Glass Factory.
I agree with ga9497 about the neighborhoods. Just amble and you'll be fascinated with everything. In the early morning I loved the open air markets with all sorts of fresh seafood critters offered for the Venetians dinner. The doorways intrigued me too because I just knew they would open up to a flowered courtyard that we couldn't see. You can see the older women hanging their laundry out on clothes lines from window to window.

PICT0188.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

PICT0161.jpg

PICT0198.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

St. Mark's, a gondola ride, Doge's Palace and Bridge of Sighs, Rialto Bridge...you can actually do all of that fairly quickly. If you have time, I'd take the water taxi to Murano and Burano. Murano is famous for glass, of course, and Burano for lace. Beautiful stuff. Just sitting in a cafe in Venice is great. You'll have fun no matter what you choose to do.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. ga9497, I have read a few posts on Trip Advisor and now will look at Frommers. Can always count on the DIS.

Just wander around. Like our guides told us don't be afraid of the alleys, Venice is completely safe and since it is an island you can't get too lost. Definitely see St. Mark's Square and Basilica. If you want to do shopping avoid the shops in the Square, they are a little pricier than if you shop outside the square.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter