Verandah Question

BippityBoppity

Mouseketeer
First time Disney cruisers and I am looking at the different verandah's. Just discovered the extended verandah. Which would you choose and why? Extended or regular verandah. Not interested in the navigators verandah.

Thank you

My vote would be for the extended. The last two times on the Dream (rooms 5540 & 5542) we had the extended balcony and love the extra room and chairs. We also spend alot of time on the balcony though.

Love the extended verandah. We have had one on our last two cruises. Not sure any regular balcony will ever measure up.

Booked extended Verandah too this time..... not been assigned room thou yet. Quite like idea of private sunbed area

I’m sorry to hijack, OP. I am a first time cruiser and also interested in an extended verandah. However, I noticed that online it would say “guaranteed stateroom” with some of the rooms. What does that mean?

I’m sorry to hijack, OP. I am a first time cruiser and also interested in an extended verandah. However, I noticed that online it would say “guaranteed stateroom” with some of the rooms. What does that mean?

If you book a category in GTY status, you do not select your stateroom at the time of booking. The cruise line will assign you a stateroom in that category or higher - but you have zero say in where it is.

We loved the extended verandah too. We had 7690 on the dream and have a GTY booked for next March but the room now shows 8684 which we are happy to have.

Yeah I’d like to know that too. Problem is now a lot of us that read this forum will want that room.
There is a handful of aft extended verandah rooms on Dream/Fantasy class, on decks 6-7-8-9-10, and they are very clearly visible on deck plans. They fall into category 5E, which is rather popular and tends to get booked up quickly during opening days, so it ends up being offered only as GTY. And with GTY, there is always a possibility of an upgrade to a different category, which may land you in a stateroom with a standard verandah. Another factor is, the largest corner verandahs are designated as accessible rooms, and therefore go into a separate pool. If no one claims these, they go to the folks with 5E GTY, which makes 5E GTY such a unique gamble.

Last edited:
We are in 5552 on the Dream which is a 4E. It has the biggest non concierge verandah on the ship. It is also the biggest non concierge cabin since it is wheelchair accessible. I highly recommend.

We are in 5552 on the Dream which is a 4E. It has the biggest non concierge verandah on the ship. It is also the biggest non concierge cabin since it is wheelchair accessible. I highly recommend.
Yes, 5552 is a very unique room in the line of extended verandah 4E which may become available to 4E GTY - but that one usually gets picked up by someone with accessibility requirements early on.

Personally I see 4E category as a bit of a trade-off, because if I'm paying a family verandah rate, I would rather have a proper family room (e.g. larger room and split bath) than a verandah which partially sticks out for all upper decks to look at. To me they are roughly the same value as the rest of 5E's, which is what these 4E's were prior to reclassification.

Aren't all the extended verandahs in the aft?

I am not speaking from experience, but I understand some people say they can smell the engines. Also I know the vibrations can be more intense.

Personally we prefer the bow more than we care about the verandah .

Aren't all the extended verandahs in the aft?
On Dream and Fantasy, deck 5 is wider than the rest of the superstructure above it, so mid-ship verandahs "stick out". Those are classified as category 4E. Aft verandahs are longer as well, and those rooms usually get some complaints about vibration / smell / noise / soot from the ship's exhaust.

We stayed in cabin 10658 on the Fantasy which is an aft corner room. We had no issue with vibration (with the exception of a slight one when pulling into or out of port) and no issue with soot or smell. The room is under a stairwell so we didn't get bothered by the moving of tables and chairs in Cabanas outdoor section but I was outside on the veranda most mornings and I could here it some out there. We loved the room and would book it again in a heartbeat. It was not available when we booked our cruise for next year so we are going to try cabin 8188 which is a center aft extended.

We sailed in Fantasy 9674 last fall and loved it. We are hooked on 5E rooms now. The extended space outside was really nice for us and we weren't bothered by motion. Our first cruise was an oceanview 9510 and we had more discomfort and creaking in that room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter