VERO BEACH 2016 Information & Adoration Thread

I am thinking of trying vero this April with my 5 and 7 year old. I am wondering if an inn ocean view room with suffice or do I need to splurge on the 1 bedroom? We usually do a one bedroom in WDW but I am looking to save some points and I like the appeal of 2 beds and an ocean view? Thoughts? Also do the no see ums strike in April? What months are they mostly apparent? Anyone know? Do the bike rentals have training wheels? Lol Do you think I should consider a split stay between vero and say maybe the Polynesian? Fyi this is over the Passover break I have no choice. Lol helpppppp!!!!!

We just stayed in an inn room ocean view with two girls 10 and 5. It was great. I loved the ocean view from the balcony which you wont necessarily get in a 1 br. Plus the location in the inn was very convenient. Morning coffee is downstairs as is the store, lobby activities and food. There was plenty of space for us. Unless you want to cook in the kitchen, its a great room. We ordered a pizza from the green cabin room and had dinner in our room one night.

The new Disney Files magazine is reporting the new name of Shutter's is to be Wind and Wave Grill. Sonya's will change to Wind and Wave Market, sounds like what Artists Pallet is at Saratoga Springs Resort and the outside bar will be called Wind and Wave Bar

Anyone know when The Wind and the Waves (formerly known as Shutters) will be opening? Disney Dining only says not currently taking reservations and VBR front desk says they don't know when it'll open.
Looking forward to Thanksgiving #7 and now not sure where we'll eat.

Last edited:

Thank you SO much for telling me about this! We're arriving this Wed. I called several weeks ago and asked about the turtle walk/tour but they said the hatching season was over so the tours had ended for the year. I'm so happy to hear you got to see some baby turtles; I hope we're as lucky! Did you just ask the front desk about this? I've booked a river boat tour to see dolphins and manatees. Does anyone know anything else to do to see wildlife? Thanks so much! April
Just seen your question. It was noted in the times guide. We went to the beach at 7 and she was there. Look like plenty of nest that hadn't hatch. Hope you get lucky. Enjoy. We also loved the trivia game in Green Cabin

Does anyone have a recent Activity Times Guide to share? I am making some plans off site and cant decide if we should be gone in the morning or afternoon!

Do the 1 bedroom units have ice makers or trays to make ice in the freezer? If not-are there ice machines in the Villas buildings or only the main building?

Thanks!

Just booked out first trip to Vero June 1-7. 2017. We have 3 teenagers so I booked a 2bdrm villa. I read in a previous thread that to have a chance at a ocean view that you'd need to request a lock-off? Does that mean a Studio and 1bdrm connected and that you'd lose the kitchen/dining/family room? Also wanted to know how quiet the villas are? We stayed at Hilton Head and you could easily hear footsteps overhead. I really appreciate any tips you can provide!

Just booked out first trip to Vero June 1-7. 2017. We have 3 teenagers so I booked a 2bdrm villa. I read in a previous thread that to have a chance at a ocean view that you'd need to request a lock-off? Does that mean a Studio and 1bdrm connected and that you'd lose the kitchen/dining/family room? Also wanted to know how quiet the villas are? We stayed at Hilton Head and you could easily hear footsteps overhead. I really appreciate any tips you can provide!
You wouldn't lose the kitchen/dining/family room. That would still be part of the one bedroom villa. The lockoff would be like the second bedroom except that instead of two queen beds there would be one bed and a pull out sofa and an additional little mini kitchen with small sink, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and mini fridge. There would be an adjoining double doorway connecting this to the living area of the one bedroom villa. There would also be an additional exterior door.

Having booked straight through Disney, I'm now wondering if it would have been cheaper to rent points? I don't have a clue how renting points works but I hear it mentioned on these boards. Is it a better deal?

Having booked straight through Disney, I'm now wondering if it would have been cheaper to rent points? I don't have a clue how renting points works but I hear it mentioned on these boards. Is it a better deal?
Yes, it is possible to save a lot by renting points. There is a DVC rent/trade forum here on Disboards. There is also an ad for David's Rentals at the top of that forum page. If you click on the ad you will get lots of information and even an opportunity to live chat with a David's customer service rep.

Just back from 3 night weekend stay at Vero Beach.
We had a corner inn room on the 2nd floor. The space was nice. The room smelled horribly musty though. They were late in getting the room to us also. They gave us a $40 credit because of the delay. We used it to eat at Shutters. The food there was good and the waitress was very friendly.

On Saturday, we had a great time playing on the beach. The surf was really rough. My SO loved it! I swam in that surf for a bit then, went and sat on the beach and enjoyed the atmosphere.
Saturday evening, we grilled a bunch of food we had brought with us. We were trying to keep the cost for the weekend getaway low, so decided to bring a bunch of food from home and cook on the grills and use the microwave in the room. We ate well.

On Sunday, we spent a lazy morning hanging around the room and then went to the beach. The surf was much calmer, so I spent more time in the water. Its a lot easier when the waves aren't constantly knocking you over.

Other than the musty smell in the room, the only downside was me getting bit by sand fleas or something at the beach on Sunday. When I went out in the evenings, I rubbed down with bug spray (Mosquitoes love me) but for the beach, I just put sun screen on. I sat playing in the sand working on a sand sculpture for an hour or so on Sunday afternoon. On Sunday night I noticed that my legs were covered with small bites. :( The itch made it hard to sleep.

I took some pictures of the room, grill area and beach. http://imgur.com/a/NFOz8
HwpjVRC.jpg

Enjoy!

Does anyone know if the no see ums are specific to a specific time of year? There has been many threads on the no see ums(sand fleas) referring to lotions, etc. I did reach a thread saying that they are particularly bothersome in early morning and late afternoon/early evening? :confused3
Very curious because we were at Vero end of May and we did not have one bite. Understandably, we did rent the chaise lounge chairs at the beach with a cabana, were not sitting in the sand. Seem VERY BOTHERSOME:scratchin to many.:scared1::eek: TIA! :wave2:

Does anyone know if the no see ums are specific to a specific time of year? There has been many threads on the no see ums(sand fleas) referring to lotions, etc. I did reach a thread saying that they are particularly bothersome in early morning and late afternoon/early evening? :confused3
Very curious because we were at Vero end of May and we did not have one bite. Understandably, we did rent the chaise lounge chairs at the beach with a cabana, were not sitting in the sand. Seem VERY BOTHERSOME:scratchin to many.:scared1::eek: TIA! :wave2:

This is what DVBR publishes in the resort guide:

Did You Know?

WHAT IS A "NO-SEE-UM"? When you're out on the veranda, enjoying the ocean breeze, you might start to notice little bite-like sensations, but - lo and behold - you can't see what's biting you! Most likely it is the infamous "No-See-Ums" - the appropriate nickname for the extremely small Biting Midge. No-See-Ums are approximately 0.42cm (0.16in).They do not fly in temperatures less than 70 degrees so that's why you might notice them more in the summer months. They are a close relative to the mosquito, and they won't harm you, but their bites can be extremely annoying. They are most active at sunrise and sunset so it is best to keep your patio doors closed during these times and be sure to use insect repellent if you notice the pesky creatures biting you! Common screens, which stop mosquitoes, will not stop No-See-Ums.This is why native Floridians claim there is no worse pest in the state!

Avoid or cover-up at dusk and dawn and hope for a stiff breeze

Just back from a wonderful weekend in Vero Beach and wanted to give some updates.

Shutters - I was really hesitant about this because its in the Seagrape room, but we absolutely loved it. Best meal of the trip. The atmosphere was upscale and quiet. It was about $60 for 2.

The Green Cabin Room Breakfast - Disappointing. It was $12 each plus soda if you didn't want the included drinks. Just not a wide enough selection for me as I really prefer a carb heavy breakfast (pancakes) rather than bacon & eggs.

Bleachers - Now being held in the gazebo. You order there and they bring out your food (to the gazebo- there are tables). Awesome and tasty. They sold the Crush cups as well, so we picked one of those up.

Bugs - We bought the 75% DEET at CVS before we arrived and used it on our legs and had no issues with the noseeums. We spent time by the pool, minigolf, etc, but we did not spend any time in the sand on the beach.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Thank you everyone for all the updates. We will be there three nights Oct. 8 - 11. It has been about 5/6 years since we stayed at Vero Beach. Looking forward to it.

Just back from a wonderful weekend in Vero Beach and wanted to give some updates.

Shutters - I was really hesitant about this because its in the Seagrape room, but we absolutely loved it. Best meal of the trip. The atmosphere was upscale and quiet. It was about $60 for 2.

The Green Cabin Room Breakfast - Disappointing. It was $12 each plus soda if you didn't want the included drinks. Just not a wide enough selection for me as I really prefer a carb heavy breakfast (pancakes) rather than bacon & eggs.

Bleachers - Now being held in the gazebo. You order there and they bring out your food (to the gazebo- there are tables). Awesome and tasty. They sold the Crush cups as well, so we picked one of those up.

Bugs - We bought the 75% DEET at CVS before we arrived and used it on our legs and had no issues with the noseeums. We spent time by the pool, minigolf, etc, but we did not spend any time in the sand on the beach.

Do you happen to have a photo of the activities guide?

Was there any news when the restaurants will be opening after construction? The CM's keep hinting to me that an additional character meal will be available when the restaurant construction is complete!!

Sounds like a great vaca! Good news on the no see ums, seems like a good product!:goodvibes

We are going to be at VBR Oct. 29 - Nov. 5. It's been a few years since we visited. Our favorite breakfast place is out of business (Two Southern Sisters) :( Can folks recommend some decent off-site places for breakfast. We'll have a 1 bedroom so plan to breakfast most mornings in our room. However, as a treat, we like to eat breakfast out a couple times while we are there.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter