Vero Beach Bugs?

wbleek

Earning My Ears
We are going to Vero Beach next week and I was wondering if there is currently bug season? I heard that some week there are a lot of local bugs even at the pool area and I like to manage expectations with my family. Any advice is appreciated.

We typically stay at Vero Beach in July or September. Noseeums have been prevalent during all of our stays.

It can be pretty bad if you are not careful. You don't even notice the bites until it's too late, and you then realize you've been bitten dozens of times. And it itches for days after.

Bugs are our friends in Fl.
We have just excepted their presence.
They out numbers us, so we have no choice.
Bring bug spray.

Last edited:

We typically stay at Vero Beach in July or September. Noseeums have been prevalent during all of our stays.

It can be pretty bad if you are not careful. You don't even notice the bites until it's too late, and you then realize you've been bitten dozens of times. And it itches for days after.
Do you think they are there in March also? Any suggestions for counter measures?

Bugs are our friends in Fl.
We have just explained their presence.
They out numbers us do we have no choice.
Bring bug spray.
I am expecting mosquitos and the like. I heard about seasonal insects that are quite large (maybe red body or wings) and are all over the place (even the pool area) for some weeks during the year.

Do you think they are there in March also? Any suggestions for counter measures?
Consider the following map from Best Bee Brothers:

1677431174567.png

I have read elsewhere that they are pretty much year-round at Vero Beach. Quoting from that same website:

"The southeastern US and Gulf Coast, from Florida to West Texas, has no-see-um activity for much of the year (orange section of map). This is especially true of Florida, where the balmy, tropical weather in most of the state can inch into the high seventies even during the winter months. In fact, the University of Florida has documented 47 different no-see-um species that live year-round in the state."

We have never not gotten bitten at Vero Beach, at least half the time pretty badly despite being prepared.

We were there the first full week of Feb and the noseeums were out. They had bug repellent lotion sitting out for your use. I would recommend using it! It made a big difference for me.

I was there over Christmas Holliday. It was 70 degrees and sunny. We visited the beach and the pool every day. We did not have any problems except with mosquitos on our patio. My previous trip to Vero was in the dead of summer and it was a nightmare. I found two things that work: 1) full-on Deet. Yes, it changes your DNA but it works for all the bugs. 2) Burts Bees Herbal insect repellent. This second suggestion may just work for me as our other travel companions didn't like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter