Vero Beach eating?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
For people who've stayed at Vero Beach, where did you eat? Did you always eat at the one restaurant on property? My understanding is that the resort is sort of off on its own, so going out isn't as easy as at Hilton Head. When there, it seems to us as "so many restaurant choices, so little time". Do you make some of your meals in your villa? Several days of eating in the same restaurant kind of concerns me. What do you do for meals?

We have bought food at Publix and cooked in the villa. We also have traveled to local restaurants like Squid Lips and Captain Hiram’s, and others. We have eaten on property.

There is Orchid Island pizza just across the street.

We often leave the resort, for instance to go to the gardens in Vero Beach, McKee Gardens, or something to do with Nature or boat rides.

For sure, good restaurant eating out is more a focus for us in Hilton Head. I do not have a favorite go to place like Sea Shack (which I can eat in every day at Hilton Head).

I live by the ocean in NJ, and eat seafood a lot. Florida seafood is just less appealing for me. In Hilton Head it’s low country cooking that I really enjoy.

We have bought food at Publix and cooked in the villa. We also have traveled to local restaurants like Squid Lips and Captain Hiram’s, and others. We have eaten on property.

We often leave the resort, for instance to go to the gardens in Vero Beach, McKee Gardens, or something to do with Nature or boat rides.

For sure, good restaurant eating out is more a focus for us in Hilton Head. I do not have a favorite go to place like Sea Shack (which I can eat in every day at Hilton Head).

I live by the ocean in NJ, and eat seafood a lot. Florida seafood is just different for me.

Thanks Bobbi! Recently our son and his GF went there and took pictures, at our request (we've never been and were thinking of trying it). They commented on it being kind of far from things. But then, they live in New York City so maybe they're used to lots of close things!

DH & I go for a week every May. We do as the previous poster said. We shop at Publix and prepare meals in our room or grill out. We also order from Orchid Island pizza at least once during our stay. We went to Squid Lips for the first time last year and enjoyed our meal. We have dined at the resort, as well.

The market counter service at the resort has two full meals each day as well. Downtown Vero with lots of food choices is about 20 minutes away as is Sebastian.

The Ocean Grill, which is about 15 min away, has terrific views, fab Bloody Mary and great fried oysters. People start lining up before 5, when they open, to get window seating. When at VB we never eat in, go to the VB restaurant once and out the rest of the time. Another restaurant we like is Waldo’s.

Thanks Bobbi! Recently our son and his GF went there and took pictures, at our request (we've never been and were thinking of trying it). They commented on it being kind of far from things. But then, they live in New York City so maybe they're used to lots of close things!

It is kind of far from things. That is part of the charm and part of the curse. There are plenty of restaurants within a 15-20 minute drive.

The beachy part of Vero Beach is about 15 minutes south and there is a cluster of stores and restaurants right at the beach. Then you can go west into mainland Vero Beach and there are other restaurants. It is not a foodie place - restaurants are acceptable, not "write home about".

We like the new marketplace eatery at Vero. The food was good. We always go off property as there are a lot of restaurants. In Sebastian Crabby Bills is great but they are not open for dinner only lunch. Great shrimp and fresh fish. The Pelican is a great place for breakfast, very reasonable and good food. The last trip we found a pizza place called Davila's in Publix plaza on Indian river blvd near I think 53rd street. Really good pizza and meatball subs. Also Mo Bay in Sebastian is a really great restaurant. Have a good time.

We went there for four nights. Ate twice at their regular restaurant, what is it called?, Shutters??? And ate off property at a place called Fishack. It was very good. Was about 15 minutes away. Then we also ate pub grub in the resort bar called Green Cabin Room.

Loved green cabin room and a restaurant called Riverside cafe about 15 min away. Not fancy but good food fun atmosphere

We visited Vero last August for the first time and didn't eat once at the main restaurant. While we really enjoyed Vero (and are going again this year), it doesn't feel like WDW where you HAVE to eat there to experience the magic. We had a car and went off-site every night. I wish I could remember the places that we went to, nothing really far, not more than 15 minutes. There are some chains, and local places as well, one was on the water. Totally pleasant and fun. We've not been to Hilton Head so can't compare though!

The Ocean Grill, which is about 15 min away, has terrific views, fab Bloody Mary and great fried oysters. People start lining up before 5, when they open, to get window seating. When at VB we never eat in, go to the VB restaurant once and out the rest of the time. Another restaurant we like is Waldo’s.
love waldos as well as ninos

At HHI there are tons of places to eat within walking distance. Vero is about 12+ minutes drive to everything. Except a pizza place near the resort...id it's still there.

Last edited:
We were at Vero a few weeks ago, and tried an Italian place called Trattoria Dario. VERY good food. When we go back (hopefully next year), we will definitely visit this restaurant again.

We tend to drive to the Sebastian area. We enjoy Squid Lips, Captain Hiram’s and Mulligans. We also enjoy the Ocean Grill in Vero.

I live by the ocean in NJ, and eat seafood a lot. Florida seafood is just less appealing for me. In Hilton Head it’s low country cooking that I really enjoy.

Yes! We have a place on the Maryland shore and I know not to ever order a crab cake south of Virginia!

Just back from a short stay at Vero and enjoyed both breakfast and dinner at the on site restaurant. For breakfast I enjoyed the carnitas Benedict and at dinner the shrimp and grits. Also did counter service for lunch one afternoon. Drove in for dinner at Southern Social and had a great meal, and did a breakfast at Baci Trattoria, had cannoli pancakes and a corned beef hash Benedict, it was so good we couldn’t stop eating even though we were totally stuffed. The ride in was maybe 20-30 minutes.

I’m taking the family to Vero Beach this Labor Day weekend. Below are the restaurants we frequent when we go. Thanks for all the recommendations. We’re looking for new spots to try. Let us know if you think of any others.

• AY Jalisco - Mexican Restaurant
  • Orchid Island Pizzeria
  • Captain Hiram's
  • Country Ham and Eggs
  • Pig and whitle
  • Driftwood Inn.
  • Bobby's
  • Tootsies Tu
  • Mulligans
  • Ocean Grill Restaurant

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. We're going this weekend. I couldn't find "the new marketplace eatery" and "The Pelican" on Google. Do you have any other info? Thanks again.

We like the new marketplace eatery at Vero .... The Pelican is a great place for breakfast, very reasonable and good food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter