Very Disappointed in Poly Club Level

This goes back many years and I am not sure if it is still true, If you wanted to transfer to another union covered job.

Example
Cast member one, great Disney person can tell you everything you want to know,best personality for the job, record card clean (no discipline) working for Disney for 5 years.

Cast member two, Okay Disney person can tell you some things about Disney, Okay personality for the job, record card clean (no discipline) working for Disney 10 years.

Job goes to cast member number two.

This was suppose to prevent favoritism to fill popular jobs over who has more seniority and a better record card.

Once again not sure if this is true it was what I was told many years ago, thing may have changed and I could be wrong.

Every time a new contract is negotiated between Disney and the unions I would think anything can change.

Exactly how most union contracts I know of work. And lots of places that aren’t unionized have the same system. My husband was a manager at 2 different major food manufacturers. Neither were unionized. Jobs were posted with the list of qualifications needed to get the job. Employees had to bid or apply for them. If applicants met the qualifications & were otherwise equal, the job would go to the most senior employee. It’s pretty standard.

This goes back many years and I am not sure if it is still true, If you wanted to transfer to another union covered job.

Example
Cast member one, great Disney person can tell you everything you want to know,best personality for the job, record card clean (no discipline) working for Disney for 5 years.

Cast member two, Okay Disney person can tell you some things about Disney, Okay personality for the job, record card clean (no discipline) working for Disney 10 years.

Job goes to cast member number two.

This was suppose to prevent favoritism to fill popular jobs over who has more seniority and a better record card.

Once again not sure if this is true it was what I was told many years ago, thing may have changed and I could be wrong.

Every time a new contract is negotiated between Disney and the unions I would think anything can change.

I understand that protocol for when there is a job opening.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about lateral switches.

Cast Member A: food service as a busboy. 1 year of experience. Doing amazing. Completely knows everything about Disney and engages amazingly well with guests on occasion.

Cast Member B: Ride attendant. 3 years on the job. "Socially awkward". Brusque and harsh with guests. Numerous complaints about attitude. Would prefer to work more behind the scenes away from direct guest interactions.

Switch them.

I'm talking about shuffling CMs around to different types of roles to find the best fit. Perhaps what WDW needs is something like what medical students do with rotations. Try different roles for a set period of time, let's say 2 weeks per role over 3 months, 6 months, whatever. Then get slotted into a role that is best suited to their skills and personality.

I understand that protocol for when there is a job opening.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about lateral switches.

Cast Member A: food service as a busboy. 1 year of experience. Doing amazing. Completely knows everything about Disney and engages amazingly well with guests on occasion.

Cast Member B: Ride attendant. 3 years on the job. "Socially awkward". Brusque and harsh with guests. Numerous complaints about attitude. Would prefer to work more behind the scenes away from direct guest interactions.

Switch them.

I'm talking about shuffling CMs around to different types of roles to find the best fit. Perhaps what WDW needs is something like what medical students do with rotations. Try different roles for a set period of time, let's say 2 weeks per role over 3 months, 6 months, whatever. Then get slotted into a role that is best suited to their skills and personality.

Food service & Ride attendant absolutely are different job categories. They wouldn’t even have the same management team. Again, in union environments there is no option for “lateral switches” as you’re referring to them. Every job that is vacant is posted with criteria & rules for being filled. What you’re suggesting might work in a small private company, but not a large unionized company.

In your scenario, CM B must watch for job openings & apply according to company policies & the negotiated contracts. Medical students are just that… students in an educational environment, not employees. They’re not bound by negotiated contracts. Totally different situations. And, BTW, medical students apply for & must be accepted for their specialties. They’re not just assigned.

Last edited:
Food service & Ride attendant absolutely are different job categories. They wouldn’t even have the same management team. Again, in union environments there is no option for “lateral switches” as you’re referring to them. Every job that is vacant is posted with criteria & rules for being filled. What you’re suggesting might work in a small private company, but not a large unionized company.

In your scenario, CM B must watch for job openings & apply according to company policies & the negotiated contracts. Medical students are just that… students in an educational environment, not employees. They’re not bound by negotiated contracts. Totally different situations. And, BTW, medical students apply for & must be accepted for their specialties. They’re not just assigned.

Medical students ALL do a rotation before they choose a specialty.

That is what I'm suggesting Disney do when are hiring en masse for several different roles, as they usually are.

Medical students ALL do a rotation before they choose a specialty.

That is what I'm suggesting Disney do when are hiring en masse for several different roles, as they usually are.

I didn’t say they don’t. But doesn’t matter. Union jobs don’t work that way. So what you’re suggesting is not gonna happen at WDW.

I would think CL positions would need the best the they got? Maybe not?
When I worked for Walt Disney World my first job was covered by a union contract. I was placed in that job after an interview with casting, it was not the job I applied for.

When I interviewed the first thing I did was a phone interview right in the casting building. I do not remember the questions but I do remember it being almost like a placement interview.
After that I talked with the Disney interviewer in person and was offered the job I ended up in.

Once placed in a union covered job if you wanted to move to another job unless it was a promotion or a higher paying job you had to meet the contract requirements. That's what I was told many years ago however things may have changed.

After about a year with Disney I found a job I wanted. It was not covered by the union or a contract. If my memory is correct it was called a non contractual position. For this job I had to do an interview., it was actually two separate interviews then I had to wait for an offer.

I was offered the job and took it, it was a higher pay by three dollars an hour.
The next job I took with Disney was a little easier to move to because it was within the division of the company I was currently in, still non contractual.

It was interesting because in the entire division I was working in we did have one union covered job, it was a food and beverage position.

With all that said the only way a CL level cast member could be picked by management was if it was a non union job.
My guess, they fall under food and beverage and as far as I know that is a union position.

This also goes back many many years things could have changed, I could be completely wrong.

Also people have to remember it is what ever the union and Disney agree on in the most recent contract being enforced.

There is a nationwide shortage of staff due to the Pandemic. You can't just make people, well I guess they could use robots.
The pandemic is over. It is absolutely not the reason for bad CL service. Bad resort management is. This happens on both coasts. A decade ago at DLR, it was the same thing with service at DLH (which at the time was amazing) versus service at GCH (which stank.) Immediately before the pandemic, CMs at POR and POFQ were very obviously (as in, publicly) disgruntled over bad management and cost cutting at those resorts, while CMs at CSR and CBR were not. Poly clearly has issues right now, but workforce shortages are not the reason. A CM rudely dismissing a resort guest, especially at club level, only happens when they know they can get away with it without repercussions from above.

The pandemic is over. It is absolutely not the reason for bad CL service. Bad resort management is. This happens on both coasts. A decade ago at DLR, it was the same thing with service at DLH (which at the time was amazing) versus service at GCH (which stank.) Immediately before the pandemic, CMs at POR and POFQ were very obviously (as in, publicly) disgruntled over bad management and cost cutting at those resorts, while CMs at CSR and CBR were not. Poly clearly has issues right now, but workforce shortages are not the reason. A CM rudely dismissing a resort guest, especially at club level, only happens when they know they can get away with it without repercussions from above.
The Pandemic doesn't excuse rude behavior, but it does explain staffing shortages. Facts are facts and there is a shortage.

It is not a luxury experience by any means.
And it’s gone way downhill. It’s laughable what they charge for a Club level room at Poly really.
It's laughable what they charge for any room at the Poly. Using DVC points is great, but I don't think it's worth the cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter