Very Merrytime Trip Report: December 3-7

Julia M

DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi
This trip was planned super spontaneously. I received an email from DCL on October 8, offering discounted verandah rooms for sailing out of San Diego. I decided to book a long weekend cruise, but the dates didn’t work. There was no way I was flying to FL for a 3 or 4 night cruise (for us, it’s a full day of travel each way and there are no nonstop flights anymore), so I was about to say “oh well” when I noticed a cruise date out of Galveston. I quickly checked and saw I could get a non stop flight to Houston. After checking with my dh, the next thing I knew I was booking the 4 night Very Merrytime Western Caribbean Cruise, leaving from Galveston on December 3. It was a little sneaky of me….dh might have said “no” to a cruise, but he loves Disney. Our stateroom is GTY, so we will be assigned a room a day or so before we cruise. Our cruise fare was $792 plus about $79 for taxes, etc. I normally like to choose a room, but for these savings a short cruise, I’m okay.

My dh and I have been on one previous Disney cruise…..in October 2019, a two night Halloween on the High Seas cruise. We tried twice for a weeklong Mexican Riviera cruise with our kids and my mom, booking April 2020 and April 2021. Both were canceled (obviously). I really wanted to reschedule another cruise with my kids, but they are all young adults starting out their careers, and it’s almost impossible to find a full week we could do something. And they don’t really want to go on a Disney cruise anymore, although they like Disneyland and WDW. They want to go to Atlantis or Costa Rica or some other such place.

I also offered to take my mom, but she is having many back problems and doesn’t feel she can travel right now until that is resolved. It turns out she is having a procedure about 10 days after we get home, so hopefully will be better able to travel in the future. So, it’s just me and dh.

I’ve been on multiple other cruises, going back to 1983, on HAL, Carnival, Princess, RCCL and NCL, in addition to my one Disney cruise. Many of my cruises took place before I got married and on my honeymoon. Then with three kids, school tuition and activities, dh and I didn't cruise again until a few years ago. Before Covid, I took my mom and sister on 2 cruises and then dh and I went on two: Alaska and our Halloween Disney cruise. We actually had three other cruises canceled during Covid (in addition to our Disney cruise cancellations), so we are trying to make up for lost time!

Our plans included flying to Houston on Thursday December 2 and spending the night near Hobby airport. If we had no issues, our flight was expected to land at 3pm. This was a source of anxiety for me. I convinced dh to travel with just carry on luggage, in case we had an issue with our travel. This wasn’t an unfounded fear in my opinion. I have booked about 14 flights for travel since July and every flight was changed, sometimes multiple times and every flight but two were delayed or canceled on the date of departure. So while I may sound like I am a little over concerned, it’s not for lack of real experiences.

I booked two tastings on the ships: a wine tasting and champagne tasting. I really wanted to try mixology or the martini tasting, but these were both booked before we even booked our cruise. In fact, within a week or so after we booked, the wine and champagne tastings were sold out.

I was debating what to do (if anything) in Cozumel, so I kept researching. We have been to Nachi Cocum, but couldn’t decide to go back there or try something new. We are leaning towards Paradise Beach.

With a departure on Thursday December 3, we received our GTY room about a week and a half prior (Monday November 22). We were assigned a deluxe family ocean view stateroom with verandah (category 4). It's especially nice since I just became a travel agent and it gives me the chance to experience a room I would never book (since I would just be booking for dh and I). I don't really have status with Disney (only my second Disney cruise), so I am guessing the ship maybe isn't too crowded. Maybe because we used a Disney VISA card? Otherwise, I have no idea why we'd get such a good room. We are located in the front of the ship, deck 8, with the spa and adult pool above us and rooms below us. I think we hit the jackpot!

Sunday November 28 we received an email stating our online check in was complete. So about 5 days before we sailed. I had heard that some people weren’t getting “complete” notifications until right before they sailed, so this seemed early to me. (I add all these dates because I know people often want to know these details).

Thursday December 2
Our flight to Houston was uneventful, in the best possible way. We left maybe 15 minutes late and arrived with the same delay. I called the hotel and their shuttle came quite quickly.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites near Hobby airport. We chose this Marriott because it had a free airport shuttle. It was quite a nice hotel and even better, had a free shuttle service within 5 miles. We took the shuttle to Ninfa’s and had a wonderful dinner. Because we were there early we got happy hour drinks and the margaritas were excellent. I had one with amaretto and one with a sangria swirl. Their mole sauce was interesting, less sweet and more savory.

Sangria Swirl:
LOZaq4wNFdba0XW27gK0tCjSNEq3qWcBNcPEMhSITtRuDR2Z7URAKdr5la30Yz9zeQKo9l1Fv5VKEsw87v6M4gncdWtmPZL9DWQ0sbFzDnyRjlmt0QxAkWmdUj3RSwTtwTxjzT7K

Chicken Mole:
pRiNryRXlY6DueWsogtasc4Jp9EvsTbIzfv_TdCTR-5XhVV4ZJ08Kcrm8HZl6gBzXehp6N-11TKpIMFD5rUEcXLSp0xx0OYVdE7XH_bHJsFeoHlEslW0kEIp0bCfaPboRURisbVY

Thanks for this trip report. Look forward to hearing more about your experience sailing out of Galveston.

Friday December 3

Very early Friday morning we received an email from Disney telling us to do our online health screening. This was one screening for both dh and myself. Dh filled it out.

We booked our transportation to Galveston through Galveston Saltwater Moms. They were prompt in responding and Lori (our driver) was great. The cost was $60 for the two of us (one way) and I tipped an extra $15.

We arrived at the port at about 10:20. I was let in to use the bathroom and then we were directed to the 10:30 port arrival line (we had been mistakenly put in the 10:45 line).

The wait for out Covid test result was less than 20 minutes (we took it at 10:50 and had the result just before 11:10) and our reservation number was on the board. We then checked in by about 11:15 (they had to retake photos of our passports) and we were sent to wait for our boarding group 2.

Concierge boarding began about 11:55 with the announcement of the first family to board. Boarding group 1 was announced at 12:02. Our boarding group 2 was called at about 12:08

I should add, at this point, I will be doing a few “kid check ins”. Meaning, how are kids impacting our trip (for our adult only trip). My previous history (a 2 night cruise and trip to Aulani) has been good. I have felt the kids we saw around the ship or resort were well behaved and we enjoyed seeing them. So far in his boarding area I can say the same. We saw 2 kids on the far side in the room running back and forth (obviously to let off some steam) and kudos to the parents for choosing that location! Obviously, I understand we’re on a Disney cruise and we’ll see kids. This is more for anyone who is wondering about doing an adult only trip on DCL.

While we knew what to expect, the check in for the safety drill was a little disorganized. We were told the wrong place to go and when we found our spot, we were told we could get to our room, but the rope was still up. We decided to go to deck 9 and we ate at Daisys De-Lites. My husband had a panini and I had a bowl made with cumin couscous, cilantro, matchstick radishes, spinach, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and sliced almonds. It was yummy. Then I added sliced watermelon and grapes.

4V-TvPICBhBiUQbCjsdrGtAi8i9N1s0Rcqxge0SfcDjBsJyThHWXvWi8ZYK3Ip_TgaFfMNRH8Vdls_KqhLjgZLPI95CAtL5-jSCq47TbhzAfD3zHY6iUXRBMxWObSu02_a60H2uL

We were able to get into our room after lunch and met Nicky, our cabin hostess. She was very sweet and explained things about the room. We unpacked and went to guest services to ask about the app and then checked out the Cove cafe, to see our coffee options. We then got a drink at the cove bar and relaxed in chairs by a window. It was beautiful out; blue skies, sunny and warm.

We then headed over for the champagne tasting in the Cadillac Lounge. What an awesome way to start our cruise! I learned a lot and had a wonderful time! We tried 5 types of sparkling wine, including Prosecco, champagne and sparkling wine.

WqubfZsbMnV36ibsVOK9ri2OcDnaThi8ZVjXiwu6_ybI-ZzmJBXJrdgiKoHa5yzZvxhwsRnki9HxylFi-DaDM4oBIt6O8pnAfxGKdTPlRcytIHXg1Oq9szGJIdxSTo2LM6gEwtzP

uiZS91BUQfshZCo9XHDJVEG7SAbXLAnArovqnQBHBwXreBQAsRgAhme922Xc4Zph63T3xkiKiV0MMmws-kI1nLwZxOX6hfaINOWnPbYnyO7xgqDIbwqrfr2Yo_r9Pz0gTAmSXxRx

We headed back to our room for me to get a sweater and then headed to see Frozen. I decided the best thing was to try and see the show the first night and if we were unsuccessful, aim for tomorrow. However, we were third in line at 5:30 at got row 5.

5PD_HRk63skKvhJ65QAwZXuWTstsTowgZiA1zonRPLskUhdhLExjmbUdENOonaaufAa4CbgsiN7gVU7Zb_eKh1eaL_AveyQCUkhZGAb-EIP_F9_kpYOjer8LoX6WYrzOxpu3Hqs_

I previously saw this show on the Wonder and really enjoyed it. Of course, my kids are grown and I’ve never seen the movie! So I have not been overwhelmed with the music or movie. In fact, tonight I needed to ask who else is in it beside Elsa (yes, now I know it’s Anna).

We had an hour before dinner and headed to the Crown and Fin to play trivia. We were not that great, we got 15 out of 28, but we were probably about third. The ones above us got 22 and 25 points.

We meandered to dinner at Tiana's Place. This is the restaurant we really enjoyed on our previous cruise and once again, we really enjoyed the show. Just loved the music (When the saints go marching in, Hello Dolly and so on). I had the shrimp and grits (good), tomato soup (very different flavor but good) and artichoke ravioli (unexpectedly very good). Dh had the plain chicken, potato and veggies. The bread service with onion dip was fantastic! I had the bananas foster sundae which was quite good and dh had the beignets which were quite large and also good. However, I thought they were better without the dipping sauce. I really enjoyed the parade at the end with all of the kids.

We left dinner and went to the Crown and Fin and watched a little of the Pac12 championship and a Warriors game. The plan was to go to the 50’s/60’s music trivia at 10 but I was done. Not exhausted, not unhappy, just done. One advantage I’ve found with my age is that I no longer have the attitude of having to do it all.

So we headed back to the cabin and discovered our hostess cleaned up my mess of cords with Velcro ties……super nice! We also had a bunny towel and chocolates. My dh watched the end of the Warriors game while I read and we turned off the light about midnight (after putting our clocks ahead by an hour).

LSO7DnJkW5a6AAKffm8GVcZ8HdGhD3wwoCZUs8p8FhVfs7OoT50NSnEydfZ8kkWy0HqeVAzkRvFWbFx6KFwl3uSseaLHPe-UPyTuyxOm1y0JF_we9FPNpvItdSX9CjSlj8JZq2Li

My end of the day kid report…..I honestly barely realized we had kids on the cruise……the kids at dinner were so well behaved and I really enjoyed seeing some of them dance by the tables to the music….so cute.

Last edited:

Saturday December 4

This morning I was shocked that I slept soundly until 9:30! I often have sleep issues, so the combination of Bonine and the roll of the ocean was great for me, obviously. (Bonine can cause drowsiness, so I take it each night I’m on a cruise, rather than in the morning). I quickly got up and showered and joined my husband in the cove cafe, where he had ordered me a gingerbread latte. I am generally not a fan of sweetened coffee, but have a love for these! I had forgotten to tell dh last night to reduce the syrup (I find Starbucks puts in way too much syrup-I usually have to request 2 less pumps) and was a little worried, but it was perfect.

We headed down to check out the two shops on deck 4. There was some Christmas merchandise but nothing that I HAD to have. There was a zip up sweatshirt I planned look at later (I don’t wear pullovers) and maybe a Tervis cup. Overall, I wasn’t impressed. We headed back to the Cadillac Lounge for wine tasting at 11. Perhaps because of the time change, two groups came in late and there were two more empty spots. Because they were pouring whites just before we began (the reds had been in glasses, to open up, but the whites were being chilled until the last minute), it meant the tasting started and then had to be interrupted for 5-10 minutes. Then someone came in even later. I could hear their explanation, that they forgot about the time change plus their daughter wouldn’t go to the kids club. I thought the sommelier was truly kind and said he would switch their tasting to the one on Monday.

We then headed out to find lunch. I tried out the buffet and got the shrimp, caprese salad and a twice baked potato. I liked the fact the twice baked potatoes weren’t russet, they were more like a small white potato.

VtyljXMVy797ODHW2BC7742RjONBdRTUv33Q9FBhG4JRMisZeGPhNPJrWqCsY90dfET0MLT41QXmZ0sltyV_FQ2e9a6zZStLKvioMMbRWmbSIWmgWRmo6Lb3JZls2L38FRVFXF8G

I headed down to the room to put on my swim suit and headed to the cove pool. Dh alternated between reading on a lounger near the pool and watching college football at the bar. I enjoyed talking with people I met in the pool, about politics, Disney vacations and cruising. About 4ish I headed back to the room and dh joined me not long after. The warm sun made me tired, so we napped about an hour. Yes, I know I also slept in, but I couldn’t help myself. We got ready to leave the room and I left a note for our room hostess (for a blanket). We ended up seeing her right outside the room, so I asked her then for the blanket. I explained it wasn't about being cold, but rather, I sleep better when I have weight on me (I typically use a weighted blanket at home). Then we came downstairs to the Crown and Fin for more college football. We were rooting for Cincinnati over Houston and Georgia over Alabama.

We then headed to the Cadillac Lounge and enjoyed a performer singing Patsy Cline.

Then dh wanted to go back to the Crown and Fin and check on football. He was frustrated because it seems the TV’s are “stuck” on one station and can’t be changed. I hadn’t left the lounge yet when he returned. So we closed out our tab and tried again to see if we could get an update. We couldn’t, so went to the French Quarter Bar and sat a few minutes before dinner.

Dinner tonight was in Tritons. This is my least favorite dining room, because the theming is just okay..

The bread service wasn’t that great tonight. Very crusty rolls (not my favorite). The bread service last night at Tianas was SO good because the bread was amazing (a brioche, I believe) and so was the onion dip. So this pales by comparison.
I had the breaded Brie for an appetizer. It was better than I expected. The breading wasn’t thick and the brie was nice and runny and the cranberry relish sweet and a nice contrast to the cheese.

fnLROicGZmkgPZQDHo6eOhAvn8vB-58I40p1EJUwNQ07jwEeXkRF2SVWzTJT1op46jXNsrZ506dbybWJARpSe3U9OM6NF9xVjr8rGoX9jRByUSPlDTMIzhqkuF1WnTkEZnzPjmRq

I also had the French onion soup. It came to us very nice and hot, but I didn’t finish it…..I ate too much last night and wanted to pace myself more.

My main course was the chateaubriand, medium rare. Mine came medium rare but my dh’s was more medium, but he didn’t care because that’s actually what he prefers. It was quite tender, much better than I expected. The potatoes with it and green beans were also fine. The bearnaise sauce was also quite good.

Ff64kX82bsrOG3mF8ve-bsBqRMx1APwag2eCEc9H8Gl21NAU1U7qUjmEl0Yxn4eB4051AvzscSqNwwfgwsGg-OmFRg25eS0iIsGzwUdlxW6Z1FjxIgYfhAY31yFqKetQN2Vkzo5n

While we were eating, a parade with the Fab 5. It was cute and helped with the blandness of Tritons.

hzTBnRAkTxvNC6nXXoutOWpDIdcT_2x1zq77K3rIldka0YdVyKWhkw_51Z9tEsdg48rLFFW58TUY_SbsAPEYxUbv1sSdnK7dlXbGFvf2f2st6PC1b8Yx05DicgQO2x-S0jksjrFQ

crUNDgqRBwKqweU9Df8e-VdnC-_mzLxrubx9R-ZRh8o-6YsoJYM0p0fSoNR19r4dh2Q4msUT_rk1s7hA15t7ED4LBCYlDPCeNpYCcYIsFCWPkO9AaYN6co4qqPALO6IfDS7QjwMb

dJtdgRgUSwHXDQCKSrCQf8R24v31vG7EddDJoYCz699HOuy9xf3Cz2xi-j9UmJPq_d5yNLHrp_gexNFt-VF-hrSFkQvyG6LSvzeKiEpoJxhoRgK_nWjffLh_ZmEGOPoVfSkWNEsu

For dessert, my dh chose the strawberry shortcake sundae and I had the vanilla creme brûlée. Our server also brought us the Grand Marnier soufflé to try. I am not a chocolate person but I love vanilla. The souffle was surprisngly good, considering I’m not much of a soufflé person in general. I should add here, because I haven't mentioned them by name yet, that our servers were I Komang and Adam (assistant). They were lovely, I felt very spoiled and the service was excellent.

SQCX9dorxQlxggw51bpMWrWxvnokaB7vVW67PScL7iGu8GrKrpbuJS8f_M6PjOIQMYpS123r4zWY15krG2yGnDQOm3wjBhrlDjLkcA2f534TXEE43nUEZsu15YgK-QZtuc9GXpVU

DIOvUJbnkXBoOqKl566qo7_jAYeWeS9TYSuB3TAV_P4WjdBqQBB7nOtqseEzecb-p9iSIGWtFrho0qk0bfZg_yQM2BHuTkk_bonU0_zY2r_bgtV2eDv5rbYFyygqQTVPytix42iy

I am not that good in general in taking food pictures, but I did better tonight. Maybe because I wasn't as distracted by the show, as at Tiana's Place yesterday?

After dinner we returned to crown and fin to watch the Michigan Iowa game. I had a creme brûlée martini which was quite good. We left after half time when it seemed Michigan had things in hand.

We watched the game in our room a bit and turned off the lights by 11, as we wanted to be up early for tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter