• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Veterinary Technician - Yay or nay?

Thanks for all the positive advice. I've been looking up stuff today and it turns out I can volunteer to work in the clinic at the local humane society. So I think I'm going to start with that and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the positive advice. I've been looking up stuff today and it turns out I can volunteer to work in the clinic at the local humane society. So I think I'm going to start with that and see how it goes.

Good luck to you!

I've been a vet tech for a long time and I love my job! Well most days. :lmao: But I couldn't imagine doing any other kind of work. I had a 9-5 office job that paid better and I hated every minute of it. I went back into the veterinary field first chance I had. Sure the pay isn't amazing, but it's not minimum wage either. I make more than the national average and I don't live in an area with an inflated cost of living. I'm married, but many of my co-workers are single and some of them are parents too. They do OK on their salary.

College vs. on the job training has a lot to do with your state laws. You can go to your states VMA site and see what is required of a technician in your state. There are a few states where unregistered assistants (generally trained on the job) are legally allowed to perform nearly every duty a registered technician can and other states where their roles are very limited and you must be registered to perform them. That can help you decide if paying for education is right for you at this time.

There are online schools that are AMVA accredited and your education IS just as legitimate as a brick and mortar school. You will be required to have hands on experience in a clinic and in fact most recommend you are already an employee of a clinic or have a doctor or reg. tech willing to allow you in their clinic before starting school. It makes your education much easier. There is not one school that is accredited that doesn't include practical experience. Online degrees are not "frowned upon" where I live. In fact, one of the local B&M schools here is known for graduating technicians who sorely lack skills. The difference is online school will require more self discipline that some people are not ready for. Either way....research the school well and find out what the local feeling is on any school you are thinking of sending money to.

The job isn't all hugging cats and dogs all day. While most patients are fun....some bite, some scratch and some assault you with what we refer to as "biological warfare". It's a good day when I haven't been peed on before lunch. The emphasis on your training is patient care and diagnostics and you'll have little benefit if you want to transfer that into training. If you think that's the field you'd prefer than looking into a good certified dog training course might be better. Learning to train at OB classes and with lots of trainers taught me to train my dogs. Not being a vet tech. We have doctors who couldn't get a dog to sit. :rotfl:

regards

Order66, agree with you completely about the online training, plus hands on training at vet clinic. Can not understand all the PP that have said it was so expensive and the training online was no good. A good friend is doing just that and will soon have her certification and has been working for 3 years hands on while she was doing it. It definitely did not cost her an "arm and leg" to do it and she's happy and qualified. Did not take her 3 years for schooling, but she has worked at the clinic that long.

I am a licensed veterinary technician, have been for 13 years. I agree with Order66, that it's not hugging cats and dogs all day and it is a good day when you are not covered with animal secretions by lunch! :) here in NY state, you have to attend college and then take boarding exams, much like a nurse. I have to attend continuing education meetings and seminars/conferences. My education did cost alot compared to my annual salary, no doubt about it. I work as hard as some people in the human medical professions but not paid nearly as well. BUT, I love my job and I love how it makes me feel. I love that I can make a differece in someone life, everyday. This job, for me, is about how it makes me feel. I would never discourage anyone from this field but caution them is educate themselves as to what schooling they need, how much money they will make and if they are right for this job or not.
Here is a little poem that I love..it expresses my job so well.
I AM an anesthesiologist, an x-ray technician, a maid, a janitor, a surgery assistant, a loving hand, a pharmacist, a teacher, a mortician, a coroner, a shoulder to cry on, friend to cry wit......h, a sucker for a furry face, a face to lick, a labor & delivery nurse, a vet’s best friend, a pet’s best friend, a babysitter, a physical therapist, a mother, a playmate, a chew toy, a protector... I CAN make the pain go away, save a life, see what’s wrong, clean anything, ease a mind, fill a drug order, show the right way, end suffering, give kisses, get kisses, clean teeth, & bring someone to do the right thing. I HAVE a strong stomach, endured countless scars, scratches, and bites, cried with a stranger, cried into the fur of too many lifeless bodies, a big heart, a thoughtful mind, the strength to do the right thing even when it hurts, the ability to fall in love in 5 seconds, and the deepest love for all creatures

My DD is a junior in high school. She wants to become a vet. So this past summer she observed surgeries at our local veterianary practice. I wanted to make sure she could handle it. She did well and loved it! She is currently working at another vet in town a couple days a week cleaning. Hopefully this will lead to a better part-time job there and she can decide if this is what she really wants.

Going to vet school is so competitive and very expensive. She is considering vet tech as a backup career. I hope she makes it to vet school, but am nervous about it. She has four years of pre-vet first. Hope it all works out.

Another licensed tech here for over 15 years. I worked in a very busy practice for over 14 years. We had 6 full time Dr.'s, were AAHA certified, had a client base of over 200,000, and sometimes would see more emergencies in one day than the actual ER clinic did in a week. So please don't take this as being harsh, but just having a love for animals won't cut it in this field. As others have said it's not hugging puppies and kittens all day. Matter of fact you can get to the point where you no longer think puppies and kittens are cute. Most days I'd been peed on or worse by 9am. On a good day I got to leave work in the same scrubs I showed up in, and that was rare. You will see things you never thought possible. I know it's not the same in every area or every clinic but where I worked I have personally treated 5 different animals intentionally set on fire in the 14 years I was there. I have seen dogs and puppies beaten half to death, but we couldn't actually prove the owner did it so we had to fix them up and send them back home. I have had a chihuahua hanging from my bleeding finger while the owner actually laughed at what a tough little guy he was. Working with animals gives you the chance to really get a good look at what horrible things humans are capable of.

The actual degree is 2 full years and one summer internship, on top of the prereq. courses. The downside to training online and just having hands on in one clinic during the online training is the only real exposure you are getting is from that particular clinic. By actually going to school you are trained to do things the "correct" way , and can transfer that knowledge to any career you are eligible for. When you do your school online and just work at one clinic you are trained on what works for that particular clinic and not a general knowledge. In school you will have access to most of the latest equipment and you sure aren't going to find that in most vet clinics. In my area vet techs are those that have done the schooling and received the degree. Vet assistants are trained on the job and do not have the degree. It's really up to the vet's decision on who can do what, sure there's state laws but at the end of the day it's usually the vet in charge that says if you can or can't do something. At one clinic I worked at I was nothing more than a glorified receptionist and couldn't even place an IV cath. At another clinic the vet was willing to train me to do cat neuters. I politely declined of course because I could lose my license for performing surgery. The basic rule of thumb is as a tech you are not allowed to do surgery, write prescriptions and diagnose patients. Anything past that is up to the vet in charge.

As for the pay...In a small or rural practice you will be lucky to make that 30K. 24K would be more like it or around $10-$12 an hour to start. What is being neglected to be mentioned is you aren't only qualified to work in a vet clinic. With your degree you can choose to specialize as a tech in areas such as critical care, behavior, anestetic, and dental care. This doesn't mean your boss will pay you more but if you look for a career with a specialty practice at some point this extra training in a certain field can earn you more pay and better chances at getting that job. You can work in research. You will start out as a mouse counter but can quickly and easily work you way into upper management and earn a salary of around 60-70K a year or more. You can also work for human pharmacies as a lab tech or assistant because you will have a large amount of pharmacology training when you graduate as a tech. Other possibilities are available and pay better than your basic small animal vet. BTW the local zoo here has a tech internship during the summer, but the pay is awful.

Things to ask yourself are what do you want? If you want to explore areas of the vet tech degree besides working in a small animal practice I would suggest you find a program where you can actually attend classes and put your hands on their animals and equipment. You will be hands on trained not only on dogs and cats, but also horses, cows, pigs, goats, sheep, birds, lizards, rats, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs and a basic overview of primate work. You will have to have a strong basic knowledge of the physiology of each of these animals and the different breeds of each critter. The classwork is hard and difficult. Classes are limited to a certain number so not everyone that applies gets in. At least that's how it is at the program I went through. About 200 people apply each year and only 28 get in. By the end of the program there will only be around 20 in that class. Normally 5-8 students drop out before graduation. In my class of 28, 24 of us graduated. At our 10 year reunion only 6 of us were still working in the veterinary field. Most had burned out. It's a rough job that takes its toll on your mind and body and is not for everyone.

If this is what you really want to do I think shadowing not just one, but at least 2 different clinics would be a good idea. Make sure you ask to shadow a tech and not a Dr. There's often a big difference between what the techs and dr's. do. If you don't mind the way you smell by the time you leave for the day and you're still interested look into programs. More and more are showing up in this country, just make sure it's a accredited program or you might not be eligible to take your national and state boards.

Just as an FYI I lived and breathed being a vet tech for over 15 years. I had a great amount of pride in what I did and what I could do as a tech. I can put an IV cath in just about anything with a heartbeat, and I've also been known to put IV caths in several things without heartbeats to help bring them back. The job can totally absorb you at times and it can become a big part of who you are as a person. Most good techs I know really aren't right, there's something wrong with many of us, and there has to be in order to do what we do. pirate: You will meet some wonderful coworkers and have a strong bond with them. You honestly will shed blood, sweat and tears with your coworkers and that makes for an amazing work place at times.

I burned out this last July. It was due to being sold to a corporate company and not the work. I'm still a tech at heart and once I'm done taking my breather I'm sure I'll head right back into the trenches. :thumbsup2

My son is 20 years old. He has a seasonal job at the Bronx Zoo at the camel barn. He's worked there for 3 years now. Zoos generally hire from within he's now next in line for a zookeeper position in the camel barn. He has never been a student but loves animals. Up to now he's been attending community college working towards an AS in environmental science then hopefully a BSN but he will most likely switch to part-time at school if he gets this job. See he has the job he wants already but not the degree which would increase his salary but they are not so diploma driven. They want you to love the animals first and be willing to the yuck work.
He eventually wants to switch to the reptile department. He volunteers in their department so he learned that work and he's like 2 positions away there for a paid job. You do time and you get the prize.

I suggested vet tech to him but this job fell into his lap so he went the other way. He will never make millions but he LOVES what he does. True he is still living at home but he's saving. My suggestion try to go to the local zoo and its all about the connections. Start as seasonal., he did a 3wk summer camp when he was 15&16 at the zoo met the people at the barn and emailed them and when he was 17 hired over the phone. Zoo work and vet work are two different fields. See what you prefer. In a 2salary home it will be possible . Good luck. It's always better to wake up and be excited about where you are headed then to just be excited on payday. :).

Geez....negative much?
OP, if that is what is going to make you happy, do it. I just read a few days ago that the employment outlook is better than average for Vet Tech's. Do you have a community college nearby?

I don't think posting the truth is negative. It would be extremely difficult to support a family making $30,000 a year. And despite what some people think, even most vets don't have a very high income.

Personally I would pursue a higher paying career and get my "animal fix" through owning pets or volunteer work with animals.

BTW - this thread is from last January! Not sure why it was bumped.

I'm trying to determine what sort of training program will lead me to my eventual career goals :-) I haven't worked full time in ~7 years, just sporadic part time & online work while I stayed home with the kids. I have some animal related background but it's almost 15 years in the past. I really want to get back in the animal field, eventually leading to working for a zoo or dog training program such as Guide Dogs or Hearing Dogs (this would require a move to a city that has these programs and we're not quite ready to move yet). So I started thinking that a veterinary technician program would give me the flexibility to work anywhere plus it would give me the respectability of being a hard worker with current references since I don't have any. Is the employment outlook good for certified veterinary technicians?

It sounds like you already know that you enjoy working with animals and that is a great place to start. In my opinion you have to balance what you like to do with the availability of employment and the compensation. It is not an easy decision, but, if you can find that balance it will be worth the time and effort you put into it.

I don't think posting the truth is negative. It would be extremely difficult to support a family making $30,000 a year. And despite what some people think, even most vets don't have a very high income.

Personally I would pursue a higher paying career and get my "animal fix" through owning pets or volunteer work with animals.

But not everyone has the goal of being sole support of a family or earning a high income. Context and personal goals can make the difference between a particular path being ideal or disastrous.

The OP has been home for years with her children - it sounds like she's looking for something fulfilling that will complement her husband's role as primary wage-earner, not replace it or support the whole family on her own. Personally, I think that's a very fortunate position to be in - not many people can really think about doing what they love and trusting that the money will eventually follow. Absolutely return-on-investment regarding schooling dollars still has to come into play, but a lower starting wage is far more acceptable for a SAHM rejoining the workforce in a new field than it would be for a single mom looking to support her kids or a college student who needs to be self-supporting and doesn't yet know where life will lead in terms of career/family balance.

If that's accurate, then that's less than some call center drones' income.

But much more fulfilling work.

BLS statistics often skew to the low side, particularly in fields that use part-time employees because they include all workers in a given category regardless of full/part time status. And job outlook counts too - vet tech is expected to be a very fast-growing field. A higher average salary is no help if there aren't jobs available.

ETA: I'm in a similar position as the OP - back in school and thinking about "what I want to be when I grow up" in the context of my post-kids/post-SAHM career. One of my top choices was secondary education, which is a relatively well-compensated line of work when you factor in benefits. However, the job outlook for teachers in my area is so dismal that I can't even try to make a case for it being worth the cost of the schooling at this point in time. The cashier at our corner drug store is a licensed teacher who graduated with honors two years ago and hasn't been able to find more than substitute work in all that time. :( I'm now working towards a degree in a lower-paying field that offers better opportunity and more flexibility. I don't need to think about the pay relative to supporting my whole family, just the pay relative to the educational investment and the costs of working, so I'm free to consider personal fulfillment first and wage second. Even 30K would add quite a lot to our quality of life since we make ends meet with a few extras on DH's income alone.

I think volunteering at a shelter is a great idea. They need the help and you can get a feel for it to see if it's something you like BEFORE going to school and paying for it. Mostly in this area, they are hired and trained there of course the girl I know doing that only makes minimum wage. DD's friend is volunteering at a funeral home because she's interested in being an undertaker!

But not everyone has the goal of being sole support of a family or earning a high income. Context and personal goals can make the difference between a particular path being ideal or disastrous.

The OP has been home for years with her children - it sounds like she's looking for something fulfilling that will complement her husband's role as primary wage-earner, not replace it or support the whole family on her own. Personally, I think that's a very fortunate position to be in - not many people can really think about doing what they love and trusting that the money will eventually follow. Absolutely return-on-investment regarding schooling dollars still has to come into play, but a lower starting wage is far more acceptable for a SAHM rejoining the workforce in a new field than it would be for a single mom looking to support her kids or a college student who needs to be self-supporting and doesn't yet know where life will lead in terms of career/family balance.

Just because someone is currently married with a spouse providing the majority of support doesn't mean life will always continue as such. You never know what is going to happen.

BTW, this thread is more than 6 months old. OP has probably already made her decision ;)

Lots of additional schooling == $$$$
Programs unavailable where you're at, requiring a move == $$$$
Lots of competition for jobs == no $$$$

I would consider it a bad idea, but it's your choice to make.

Are you talking about being a vet or a vet tech? Becoming a full fledged vet does require a great deal of time, effort and money, but becoming a vet tech isn't nearly as much of an investment.

Well, since my old thread got bumped I better give an update. I've now been working as a vet assistant for 6 months and I'm in school to become a vet tech and I love it! I'm much happier now, so I would advise anyone making a big decision to just go for it :-)

daileyad said:
Well, since my old thread got bumped I better give an update. I've now been working as a vet assistant for 6 months and I'm in school to become a vet tech and I love it! I'm much happier now, so I would advise anyone making a big decision to just go for it :-)

Thanks for letting us know it worked out for you!!!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

...didn't notice this was an old thread recently updated. Congratulations to the OP! I'm glad it's working out for you.

Just because someone is currently married with a spouse providing the majority of support doesn't mean life will always continue as such. You never know what is going to happen.

BTW, this thread is more than 6 months old. OP has probably already made her decision ;)

One of these days I'll learn to look at the first-post date... :lmao:

I think we all make choices based on our current station in life and the future as we can reasonably foresee it. Someone who is inclined to prepare for the possibility of needing to be the sole support for her family likely wouldn't have made the SAHM decision in the first place. And the 'tone' of a SAHM looking for a fulfilling reentry into the workforce tends to be very different from the 'tone' of posts from soon-to-be or worried-they-might-become single moms scrambling for a good way to support their kids in case their fears come to fruition. It didn't sound like the OP was stressed or under pressure about the decision, just curious about a path she thought might suit her.

Glad to hear it is working out for you! :thumbsup2

I'm less than a year from launching my new career (and business) and still working on building confidence/silencing my inner critic, but for better or worse I'm going for it. I've gotten to a point in my life where I'd rather try to have it all and fail than settle for a sure thing and wonder if I could have done better. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter