Victoria's 10th Birthday Solo trip with Dapper Day and Club 33

whoever

DIS Veteran
Here we are. After 37 months of not being at the DLR, I'm finally going back (Amy had gone twice this summer with 2 out of the 3 Girl Scout Troops as she's troop leader for all 3 of our girl's troops). Victoria had not been to Disneyland 56 months!!!! This was also a milestone trip for her as each child for their 10th birthday gets a trip to Disneyland sans siblings and a meal at Club 33 to celebrate them being Disney Adults. We would also be going for Dapper Day weekend, so more fun there as well.

This trip had a shadow cast over it, but we were going to make the best of things. After 26 years of not a single day of unemployment (not even when switching jobs, end one on a Friday, start the new one the following Monday), I had been downsized shortly before our trip. Everything was already planned much in advance and we had thankfully paid for the hotel and tickets on Disney Visa Points, but it was still a bit stressful not to think about $ now going out and zero coming in as I've been the sole wage earner for the past 16+ years.

Friday, November 4th found me up at 4am. I was hoping for a 5-5:30am departure. I was ready to go, however when traveling with women, it's never gonna be a timely departure. Somehow we apparently needed 15 bags for 3 people for 4 days..... I'm not joking... 15. I had 3, my suitcase, my laptop bag, and my camera bag.

IMG_8007%20(Large).jpg

Thankfully the Axiom is a full-length vehicle as most the luggage fit aft of the 3rd row.

IMG_8008%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8010%20(Large).jpg

With Victoria settled in and snacks/beverages within arm's distance of the front seat, it was time to hit the road at......... 6:41am! Well past my hoped departure time.

IMG_8004%20(Large).jpg

With such a late departure, traffic was quite heavy and given that we are in the literal center of Phoenix, getting out to the West was a bit of an aggravating experience. Fast forward a bit, we found ourselves rolling in to the fuel exit immediately before crossing the Colorado River, the Flying J in Ehrenberg. The fuel fill up took a good 6 minutes and a few more while I waited for the girls to finish their potty break and breakfast getting and we were back on the road. Once Amy finished her Cinnamon Donut holes, it was time for her to start sewing. Yes.... she hadn't finished Victoria's scratch-made dress completely, and would spend the next 2.5 hours or so sewing while I drove.

Cruising past the wind farms a little past 10am.

IMG_8014%20(Large).jpg

We made great time until we got off at Ball Rd. Man, that last couple of miles felt like it could have been faster on foot.

Finally our Turn!!!

IMG_8019%20(Large).jpg

At 11:42, we were pulling into our home away from home. 5 hours 1 minute total travel time. Not my best time (4hrs, 57 minutes), but it was a good run especially with all the construction slowing things down.

IMG_8023%20(Large).jpg

IMG_4695%20(Large).jpg

Quick check-in, unload, toss the keys, and we were informed that our room was ready, but hadn't been inspected yet. We would get a text later when it was ready, so in to the parks we went at noon on the dot.

I'm always slow going through bag check as I had 5 lenses and my camera body with me, and there's a million zippers on my bag. They usually give up and wave me through after the first couple of them. Amy and Vic had gotten quite far ahead of me though so I had to hustle to catch up.

DSC_4458%20(Large).jpg

Took about 10 minutes to get through DTD, the surprisingly long lines at the gates, and the obligatory take your picture to link to your ticket routine, but we had perfect timing as just as we passed through the railroad underpass, the Disneyland band was rounding the entrance to the square so we got a front-row show.

DSC_4470%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4476%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4480%20(Large).jpg

And finally, the long vista.... never gets old. LOVE seeing this every single time.

DSC_4490%20(Large).jpg

Vic was in need of some sustenance, so her first of probably 20 churros was procured...

DSC_4494%20(Large).jpg

While we would normally head straight to Pirates, Vic was in Charge, so Teacups it was...

DSC_4549%20(Large).jpg

The Churro not being enough, we grabbed her a Chicken nugget and Fry from Red Rose Tavern. Amy and I ate most of the fries as Vic was not a fan.

DSC_4553%20(Large).jpg

We ended up LLing Pirates as everything was down across the park and crowds were REDICULOUS!! Not having shot extensively in over 3 years, I was still learning my camera again.. Not my best, but pretty passable.

DSC_4579%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4594%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4619%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4619_Crop%20(Large).jpg

There USED to be a lightsaber stuck in this barrel of weapons.

DSC_4622%20(Large).jpg

This used to be a noose as a warning to pirates. Not sure why they moved to change it, but I suspect fragile egos were hurt...

DSC_4649%20(Large).jpg

That Clock looks heavy and very familiar.

DSC_4653%20(Large).jpg

Red... Meh... I didn't and don't like the re-theme. Give me my childhood back.

DSC_4662%20(Large).jpg

At least the auctioneer is still present.

DSC_4669%20(Large).jpg

These guys are having a great time... Oh wait... party foul!!

DSC_4678%20(Large).jpg

I've never really noticed this guy's map. I swear I've seen it before.

DSC_4681%20(Large).jpg

Let's take a closer look..

DSC_4681_Crop%20(Large).jpg

I was once stuck in boat in this show scene. After 20 minutes trying to successfully grap a pic of the cat with a fish bone in its mouth on the barrel to the right of the boat, yo ho yo ho was getting old.

DSC_4683%20(Large).jpg

I still have this guy's cat-like balance..

DSC_4688%20(Large).jpg

Unless I have too much rum. Then I may have these fellows balance...

DSC_4689%20(Large).jpg

Can I just say, BRING BACK THE DIRTY FOOT... I remember lookup up and seeing a filthy foot on this guy.

DSC_4692%20(Large).jpg

Ah, the elusive Hidden Mickey. I've never got it this crisp before.

DSC_4705%20(Large).jpg

Get this guy some glasses. He can't hit ANYTING.

DSC_4711%20(Large).jpg

A quick bite to eat after Pirates from Bengal BBQ, and the adults were refueled as well. Vic got the chicken skewer sans sauce, Amy and I split the Pork belly and Beef Combo. The beef was absolutely devoid of flavor and had veins in it. The pork belly was scrumptious, but it's hard to mess up pork belly.

IMG_8027%20(Large).jpg

Now, onto LL for Alice (again, EVERYTHING IN THE PARK IS DOWN). The LL entrance was much appreciated over the 60 minute posted wait... for Alice...

DSC_4719%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4727%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4732%20(Large).jpg

I do love the rocking horse fly...

DSC_4743%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4758%20(Large).jpg

Anybody who's been together for 3 decades knows it can quickly go from this...

DSC_4775%20(Large).jpg

To this in a heartbeat...

DSC_4783%20(Large).jpg

I've NEVER truly seen many of the details I can see in your pictures!! I love your report so far, Matt!

I've NEVER truly seen many of the details I can see in your pictures!! I love your report so far, Matt!
What separates DL or any Disney park for that matter is the DETAILS for me. Everything done with purpose and a story behind it. It's what I love.

Great report so far! I'm sorry about the layoff, that is terrible. I work in law enforcement so always hope there is job security but you just never know. I didn't realize Alice had Lightning Lane, that is good to know.

Great report so far! I'm sorry about the layoff, that is terrible. I work in law enforcement so always hope there is job security but you just never know. I didn't realize Alice had Lightning Lane, that is good to know.
They take you through the exit and then put in you in the queue where it does the switchbacks immeditely before boarding

I just checked and neither Alice or Pirates is on the Lightning Lane list on the Disneyland website. We were there towards the latter half of October and I remember we couldn't get one for Pirates and had to do standby.

I believe DAS goes at the exit, maybe they expanded lightning lane after our trip. The capability is there because of DAS, it would make sense to add additional rides to the LL list for rides in Fantasyland and Pirates.

I just checked and neither Alice or Pirates is on the Lightning Lane list on the Disneyland website. We were there towards the latter half of October and I remember we couldn't get one for Pirates and had to do standby.

I believe DAS goes at the exit, maybe they expanded lightning lane after our trip. The capability is there because of DAS, it would make sense to add additional rides to the LL list for rides in Fantasyland and Pirates.
Don't get me started on LL currently. When the ENTIRE park is down save 6 attractions, they open them. I'm wholy convinced they just shut stuff down to drive saless

As most E-D ticket attractions were currently 101 (CRAZY), we elected to do the Storyland Canal boats next.

Into the gaping jaws of Monstro we go!

DSC_4818%20(Large).jpg

Next up, a little King Arthur's Carousel fun.

A little bit of elevation makes for a great back of the Castle shot.

DSC_4846%20(Large).jpg

Due to a full rider list, we weren't able to snag Jingles.

DSC_4849%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4866%20(Large).jpg

Toad Manor... Didn't get to experience the attraction this trip, but my Dapper Day outfit was themed after it. Was sad to see the car removed from the front of the queue.

DSC_4871%20(Large).jpg

Most attractions still being 101, time for a Sleeping Beauty Walk Through.

DSC_4877%20(Large).jpg

How I would feel well before park close..

DSC_4879%20(Large).jpg

I really love the dioramas they've done with both practical and projected effects. Great work on the part of the imagineers.

DSC_4880%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4883%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4885%20(Large).jpg

Maleficent playing Peek a boo

DSC_4886%20(Large).jpg

Fantastic pictures!
The toad car was there a couple of weeks ago when I was there. Hopefully, its just temporary!

At 2:42pm, I got the text that our room was ready. 2027 in the Fantasy Tower. Ugh... We've only ever stayed in the Adventure Tower at the DLH, so this was gonna be a downer room-wise. And it was a North-facing room with a beautiful shot of the parking... oh well. Dapper Day Rates I guess...

Space Mountain had FINALLY reopened so our previous LL that had converted to an anytime pass was going to finally get used.

DSC_4891%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8240%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8241%20(Large).jpg

This was to be the first of MANY tries for Space during our trip. It was tied with Incredicoaster for Vic's favorite attractions.

Once off, we hopped on the Monorail to head back closer to the hotel as we'd been ping-ponging over the park due to attractions being down and whatever we could get with LL. Queue lengths were crazy with everything down, so LL was the only chance at getting on much of anything.

DSC_4900%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4903%20(Large).jpg

The Evolution of Mickey wrap on the Monorail was pretty amazing..

DSC_4909%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4915%20(Large).jpg

DSC_4925%20(Large).jpg

A brief ride back, gave me a shot at some of the signage you only really get to see from the Monorail when passing through DCA.

DSC_4939%20(Large).jpg

We arrived to our room at 4:22pm and while I knew this was coming as a friend of mine had pulled some strings and had some pixie dust sprinkled on us for Vic's Birthday.

Oh... what might that be? Happy Birthday!!

DSC_4953%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8035%20(Large).jpg

Yep, a Birthday bag. Everything embroidered and personalized for her. And Balloons...

DSC_4966%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8034%20(Large).jpg

IMG_4752%20(Large).jpg

My beautiful view.... thankfully we would spend precious little time in the room this trip. This was a whirlwind trip with open to close park going mostly. A much different experience than our normal leisurely vacations where we spend a fair amount of time using the hotel's amenities.

IMG_8038%20(Large).jpg

While I left the girls to unpack, my friend Bill was at Sam's, so I hustled my way over there, conned my way past the hostess with no reservation simply that I had friends in the bar already waiting for me. Bill and I had a few drinks (they went down much quicker than our wonderful bartender could keep up). I grabbed a pair of the elusive green Gargoyles to round out my complete collection of TS mugs and enjoyed a brief respite from the park going before heading back to the room 6-ish.

IMG_8037%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8040%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
Always love your trip reports! I hope your daughter had a great birthday. Love the surprise and glad you got to hit Trader Sam's. It's one of our faves.

Always love your trip reports! I hope your daughter had a great birthday. Love the surprise and glad you got to hit Trader Sam's. It's one of our faves.
She absolutely loved it despite a ton of tears when things were 101. We hit sams a few times but none other with my local friends.

She absolutely loved it despite a ton of tears when things were 101. We hit sams a few times but none other with my local friends.
Oh no on the tears!! Poor thing. I don't blame her. So glad that she had a great time overall. It's pretty special being with just mom and dad, even when Disneyland isn't being agreeable!

Matt, your reports are THE BEST!! I can never get over your photos. I'm really sorry that the ride experiences were so poor during your trip, but glad you still managed to grab some magic. Are you thinking about going to DD this spring? I hope I can make it.

Matt, your reports are THE BEST!! I can never get over your photos. I'm really sorry that the ride experiences were so poor during your trip, but glad you still managed to grab some magic. Are you thinking about going to DD this spring? I hope I can make it.
I'm hopeful, but I'm more concerned with paying mortgages come February right now. BAD time of the year to be job hunting. If I could put together a PROPER DLR trip, I'd be down. My trip expercience vs. this is going to be a possible deal breaker though based upon how I prefer to roll.

Last edited:
Newbie jumping on board! Wow your pictures are fantastic! Can't wait to read more and I bet I will be reading through some of your older ones!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter