• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Video Chat

It’s true unfortunately, they change it on a ton of people abruptly last night….

Truth! I was logged in for 7.5 hours yesterday then got the "sorry we are not taking any more chats today" and was bumped off. When I cycled back through to try again I saw it in bold print the November 1, 2021 date. Bummed as our last day there is 10/31/21. Hope this process gets better for everyone - so far I put in 14+ hours over 3 days waiting and then the date got changed? Heard from a friend today that they changed the whole system now and advance plans will not be honored until 11/1/21, not sure how that plays out with others who were able to get through already? Good luck to everybody. Don't know when we will be back so hopefully it will be more streamlined by then.

I‘m disappointed too. There were quite a few things that seemed like really ‘iffy’ choices to me.

1) Why roll it out now?
Apparently, they wanted to roll everything out with Genie. This particular piece was, I guess you could say ‘highly anticipated’, but everything I‘ve read sounds like people expected it later. I expected it later, maybe not even until after the first of the year.

2) Why was the extent of the ‘value’ of the 2 DAS Advance Selections encouraging pre-sign up not anticipated?
Many, if not most, people who used DAS in the past (before the parks closed) also used Fastpasses. Obviously, first time visitors and those whose only visits were after re-opening, had not used Fastpass.
But, those of us who had knew how helpful they could be. And, since DAS Advance Selections was highly ‘advertised‘ on the website DAS information, people were ‘primed’ to sign up as soon as the live link appeared.

3) Taking away of Fastpasses
Many people are worried or doubtful of the Genie/Genie+ roll out. Some people didn’t know about Fastpasses, but they were advertised as a free service on the Disney website in various places and also on the park maps. Plus, the buses had information.
IMHO, and in the view of many people posting on Disney forums and Facebook, DL’s paid Maxpass was/is looked at as porting WDW‘s free Fastpass service to DL (with a few added features). Genie+ is looked at as bringing paid Maxpass to WDW in place of the previous free service. People who used Maxpass at DL may not agree, but a large number of people on the internet do agree.

4) Why was the ‘viral’ aspect of the internet not anticipated?
They may have hoped for a ‘soft’ roll out and I can but once the link was out, it was out. I don’t know if a roll out was tried first for a small number; I don’t know how they could have, but maybe would be ways??

4) Why such a large timeframe for visits?
WDW has historical records of how many DAS are issued each day for each park, probably by day.
I don’t understand the reason for ‘pushing’ 28 days of DAS registration Into potentially all trying to contact Disney on the same day. I would have done a shorter timeframe - maybe 14 days or a week instead of 28, at least at first.

5) Why is it that timeframe?
2 days to 30 days before visit puts people who are frantically trying to get it done for a visit coming up soon with people coming much later. Adds to the stress.
I would start the timeframe farther from the visit - 2 days is a very short time to try to get it done. Maybe, it could be moved back to 2 days after it’s been rolled out for a while, but right now it’s adding to the problem.
I understood all days of the visit needed to be within the 30 day time frame, but many didn’t. I don’t know if they clarified it, but it should have been clear from the start.

6) Person registering for DAS must be present.
I understand this - not requiring it is an invitation to fraud. But, maybe some type of creative solution - like separate links for guests registering for themselves or for someone else. The ‘someone else’ link could include a screening message verifying the person is available and saying to contact again if the person is not available.
Some people have posted in various places that they found out after waiting many hours that they could not register for this reason.
I am on chat right now waiting. The Information about the person being available is on the website, but not called out when you click to join chat or when you get the «please stay close to your browser » message.

7) Call return
Many people have mentioned being disappointed this wasn’t available. From my family‘s experience, this is not available at all on the Disney website.
For a slow roll out, they could have sent unique links to those who previously had a DAS that have upcoming trips.

As for how to better handle this, they should have setup a system where you schedule a date and time and when you come back have maybe a 5 minute wait at most.

I wonder if announcing changes to DAS with the Genie+ announcement led to more awareness and unexpectedly high demand

I vote a very dumb move on their part .... in one breath we get -

Hey everybody we are NOT bringing back FP+ where you could book 3 FP+ each day in advance,

We are now offering a magical Genie+ where you can pay us for the chance at one at a time, getting up by 7 am each day to join the queue.

Oh yeah, and if you need a DAS you can now book in advance and we'll give you 2 LL times each day - in advance for free.

What did they expect? Current and LOTS OF NEW DAS users slamming the system. I'm not feeling confident that they haven't turned this into handing out like candy just like the GAC.

Truth! I was logged in for 7.5 hours yesterday then got the "sorry we are not taking any more chats today" and was bumped off. When I cycled back through to try again I saw it in bold print the November 1, 2021 date. Bummed as our last day there is 10/31/21. Hope this process gets better for everyone - so far I put in 14+ hours over 3 days waiting and then the date got changed? Heard from a friend today that they changed the whole system now and advance plans will not be honored until 11/1/21, not sure how that plays out with others who were able to get through already? Good luck to everybody. Don't know when we will be back so hopefully it will be more streamlined by then.

Oh my goodness, poor CMs if this plays out. If they are not going to honor they better delete them from MDE accounts.

So not only is everyone coming up guinea pigs for the Genie+ but these stuck in the middle DAS holders might have to deal with this. As if some of our trips aren't already hard enough to keep it on the magical end of the spectrum. :mad:

Last edited:
Grrr, after waiting over 3 hours to do the video chat, I got this message:

"Hello, and thank you for messaging Walt Disney World®. My name is Azelea. I will be happy to assist you with your question(s) today.
I see that you are back in the queue with out team instead of the video team allow me to transfer you."

Grrr, after waiting over 3 hours to do the video chat, I got this message:

"Hello, and thank you for messaging Walt Disney World®. My name is Azelea. I will be happy to assist you with your question(s) today.
I see that you are back in the queue with out team instead of the video team allow me to transfer you."
Oh, my goodness. I’m so sorry. :badpc:

For a slow roll out, they could have sent unique links to those who previously had a DAS that have upcoming trips.

As for how to better handle this, they should have setup a system where you schedule a date and time and when you come back have maybe a 5 minute wait at most.
I thought of sending links to people who previously used DAS and have an upcoming trip. I’m not sure if they have that information in a connected and retrievable way. I’m pretty sure the DAS information is on a database that is only available to Guest Services staff.
My daughter is the DAS user - she doesn’t have her own MDE account, she‘s on my husband’s as Friend and Family. Our reservations are on that account, so he’s probably retrievable for reservations, but she would only be as Family.

Not sure how the system would work for guests to make a time and call back. Possible, but the system to sign up for a call back time might end up in a mess too.

In terms of improving this system - they could have automated the sign up process. In MDE they should already know when you're going to be at the parks because of Park Passes. So what they could do is pre-check that you're qualified to sign up for DAS. Then schedule a time range that you're able to join the queue and limit that so your wait time is significantly reduced - it doesn't need to be zero, but it could be similar to Fastpass+ where your expected wait time could be down to roughly 15-30 minutes. If Disney can do it in their parks, they should be able to do something like that for a virtual queue to talk to someone.

Maybe an even more simple way to implement this would be an expected wait time and when it is almost your turn, they could call you and tell you that there is an email with a link to rejoin the chat queue.

However, a totally different way to implement this - if they really wanted to, they could even have done something simple - pre-register online for DAS, put in something like all of the information required to register for DAS, including (if it is legal, otherwise skip this part) a free text field to explain why you or someone in your party needs DAS. Using MDE you could pick the person who needs DAS. Then after you pre-register, assuming everything they can automatically check for like arrival dates and stuff is all within the range - they could let you choose your DAS Advance Selections. Then say that when you arrive in the park on your first day you and the person who needs DAS needs to talk to a CM in person and verify you qualify for DAS. If you qualify, then everything is approved and all of your DAS Advance Selections become active. If you don't qualify, then they delete everything. It would be better than making people wait so long to do a video chat - it isn't perfect because of course some people might sign up and not actually need DAS and then hold DAS Advance Selections that they don't ultimately use.

I dunno, not a perfect solution - but I do think that making people wait such a long time to talk to someone is also not correct either.

What is surprising - I called the Disability Services phone number, (407) 560-2547 and I got through to someone instantly - no wait at all.

I asked them if there was any way to make my pre-selections without having to stay on hold for the chat all over again - because I tried that method and have been waiting since 8:45am ... she put me on hold to see if there was a way she could help make the pre-selections for me on the phone, but was told right now the only way to do it is via the video chat :(

But the point is - I'm surprised I got through to a CM immediately with no wait for the Disability Services number - I would have expected that more people would currently be supporting the video chats.

I think I may have just come up with an alternative solution. Since we have to sign in before we join the queue, Disney knows who has tried and been unsuccessful. They also know how long we have been waiting. If those people end up going to GS at a park, and they qualify for DAS, allow them to make advance selections at that time.

Disney, are you listening to your customers??

In terms of improving this system - they could have automated the sign up process. In MDE they should already know when you're going to be at the parks because of Park Passes. So what they could do is pre-check that you're qualified to sign up for DAS. Then schedule a time range that you're able to join the queue and limit that so your wait time is significantly reduced - it doesn't need to be zero, but it could be similar to Fastpass+ where your expected wait time could be down to roughly 15-30 minutes. If Disney can do it in their parks, they should be able to do something like that for a virtual queue to talk to someone.
First of all, I think once this initial period is over, there will be much less problem and much shorter waits.
To do your suggestion, they would still need you to get to the point of registering, which there would still be a wait for. And, they would have to create a record for you to be able to reach you later.

A better way might be a series of yes and no questions before you even get to the point of the chat Link opening.
- Is your entire visit between XX/XX/2021 and XX/XX/2021?
- Do you have a MDE account?
- Are all members of your party linked as your Friends and Family in MDE?
- Does each member of your party have park tickets and park reservations for each day you intend to visit a park?
- Is the person registering for DAS present and ready to appear in chat? (not sure how to state)

The questions would be in that order and a yes answer to all would lead to a link to join chat right away, with an reminder to have their park reservation days and be ready to choose DAS Advance Selections before joining the link.
Any ‘no’ answer would lead to a message telling how to resolve the ‘no’ (i.e. call back when all dates are within 2 -30 days or whatever the number is ; how to get a MDE account and add people; link to purchase park tickets and make park reservations).
If the only ‘no’ answer was to the person registering for DAS not being available could lead to being able to make a reservation for when that person would be available.
I saw notes in other places where people waited inside chat and then found out when talking to the chatCM that they needed to have a MDE account, make park reservations, etc. That leads to callbacks and taking up the guest and the CM time twice for something that could have been resolved before even getting to the point of chat. And, some were otherwise ready didn’t know they would need to sign up for DAS Advance Selections, leading to longer calls or callbacksl
Maybe an even more simple way to implement this would be an expected wait time and when it is almost your turn, they could call you and tell you that there is an email with a link to rejoin the chat queue.
I know some businesses and clinics have systems like that, but that is dealing with smaller numbers of people (you are caller number x). I don’t know how that works for possibly hundreds or even thousands of calls coming in.
However, a totally different way to implement this - if they really wanted to, they could even have done something simple - pre-register online for DAS, put in something like all of the information required to register for DAS, including (if it is legal, otherwise skip this part) a free text field to explain why you or someone in your party needs DAS. Using MDE you could pick the person who needs DAS. Then after you pre-register, assuming everything they can automatically check for like arrival dates and stuff is all within the range - they could let you choose your DAS Advance Selections. Then say that when you arrive in the park on your first day you and the person who needs DAS needs to talk to a CM in person and verify you qualify for DAS. If you qualify, then everything is approved and all of your DAS Advance Selections become active. If you don't qualify, then they delete everything. It would be better than making people wait so long to do a video chat - it isn't perfect because of course some people might sign up and not actually need DAS and then hold DAS Advance Selections that they don't ultimately use.

I dunno, not a perfect solution - but I do think that making people wait such a long time to talk to someone is also not correct either.
IMHO, that would be asking for abuse.
No matter how it was stated that it was preliminary and needed to be verified, people would not take it that way. And, although some people can convincingly lie right to a person’s face, I think most people can’t (but could if filling out a form).
It would also lead to really nasty situations at Guest Relations if a CM turned anyone down - to avoid that happening, I think many CMs would just cave.
I have been waiting in Guest Relations when some nasty situations happened. More than once, someone who AGREED their only need was to use an ECV in line demanded GAC (Guest Assistance Card) or the newer DAS and got louder and nastier until the CM gave in.
I also saw the beginning of an argument where the person said « the CM on the phone said I qualified for DAS » (the DAS information specifically said guests could call for general information, but all decisions about DAS were made at Guest Relations at the parks.

I thought of sending links to people who previously used DAS and have an upcoming trip. I’m not sure if they have that information in a connected and retrievable way. I’m pretty sure the DAS information is on a database that is only available to Guest Services staff.
My daughter is the DAS user - she doesn’t have her own MDE account, she‘s on my husband’s as Friend and Family. Our reservations are on that account, so he’s probably retrievable for reservations, but she would only be as Family.

Not sure how the system would work for guests to make a time and call back. Possible, but the system to sign up for a call back time might end up in a mess too.
I know corporate can see if you have had a DAS or not, when I asked about something related, there were able to check that.

First of all, I think once this initial period is over, there will be much less problem and much shorter waits.
To do your suggestion, they would still need you to get to the point of registering, which there would still be a wait for. And, they would have to create a record for you to be able to reach you later.

A better way might be a series of yes and no questions before you even get to the point of the chat Link opening.
- Does each member of your party have park tickets and park reservations for each day you intend to visit a park?
- Is the person registering for DAS present and ready to appear in chat? (not sure how to state)

The questions would be in that order and a yes answer to all would lead to a link to join chat right away, with an reminder to have their park reservation days and be ready to choose DAS Advance Selections before joining the link.
Any ‘no’ answer would lead to a message telling how to resolve the ‘no’ (i.e. call back when all dates are within 2 -30 days or whatever the number is ; how to get a MDE account and add people; link to purchase park tickets and make park reservations).
If the only ‘no’ answer was to the person registering for DAS not being available could lead to being able to make a reservation for when that person would be available.
I saw notes in other places where people waited inside chat and then found out when talking to the chatCM that they needed to have a MDE account, make park reservations, etc. That leads to callbacks and taking up the guest and the CM time twice for something that could have been resolved before even getting to the point of chat. And, some were otherwise ready didn’t know they would need to sign up for DAS Advance Selections, leading to longer calls or callbacksl

I know some businesses and clinics have systems like that, but that is dealing with smaller numbers of people (you are caller number x). I don’t know how that works for possibly hundreds or even thousands of calls coming in.

No matter how it was stated that it was preliminary and needed to be verified, people would not take it that way. And, although some people can convincingly lie right to a person’s face, I think most people can’t (but could if filling out a form).
It would also lead to really nasty situations at Guest Relations if a CM turned anyone down - to avoid that happening, I think many CMs would just cave.
I have been waiting in Guest Relations when some nasty situations happened. More than once, someone who AGREED their only need was to use an ECV in line demanded GAC (Guest Assistance Card) or the newer DAS and got louder and nastier until the CM gave in.
I also saw the beginning of an argument where the person said « the CM on the phone said I qualified for DAS » (the DAS information specifically said guests could call for general information, but all decisions about DAS were made at Guest Relations at the parks.

I hope wait times come down - I've been waiting since 8:49am now - so over 12 hours, and so far I've chatted with 2 CMs but never gotten to the video chat part. I suspect I'm in a black hole now and will never talk to someone and will have to start over tomorrow.

What I don't understand is - this is only valid for park reservations between 11/1/21 and 11/15/21 right now. So how many people could be using DAS and also be traveling during that 2 weeks? The wait times shouldn't be that long... But considering how long they are now, wouldn't you expect that they would remain long once stays between 11/1/21 and 11/30/21 are valid? Unless they hire a lot more CMs to do the video chat.

I wouldn't even be suggesting alternatives if this current system worked well - it doesn't seem to be working well at all though.

Happy ending to a long day ... 14 hours, 15 minutes later I have the additional 2 days booked for my passes. Did not need to do a video chat but needed to talk to the right person. Morgan finally helped me starting at 10:48pm...

Not really sure if it was worth the wait, considering it would probably be shorter to have waited in the standby line for the 4 rides I got lol, but at least I'm all set for the trip now.

Well....that's 2 1/2 days of my life that I'll never get back! Just to find out that, though the bulk of our trip falls after Nov 1st, we are not eligible for the video chat or advance planning. Just go to the GS window when we get there. Yep. That's what I would have not anyway.... I just don't like the changing of the rules after the game is in play. It's a bad flashback to my sister and Monopoly. Oh well....that's mine to get over. See you all at the GS window!

Well....that's 2 1/2 days of my life that I'll never get back! Just to find out that, though the bulk of our trip falls after Nov 1st, we are not eligible for the video chat or advance planning. Just go to the GS window when we get there. Yep. That's what I would have not anyway.... I just don't like the changing of the rules after the game is in play. It's a bad flashback to my sister and Monopoly. Oh well....that's mine to get over. See you all at the GS window!
The exact same thing happened to us. Our first park day is Oct 31st so they could not help us. Thankfully, I wasn't on that long this morning. Something potentially interesting though. I chatted with Franklin and he seemed to imply that we could make selections when we got to GS. I guess we will see. Not overly happy with the way this was handled, but at least I don't have to get back in the queue for the next 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone still trying.

I agree with your last point. Heck, I've been at GR when people who DID qualify for DAS were being nasty to CMs.
That would just be a disaster

The exact same thing happened to us. Our first park day is Oct 31st so they could not help us. Thankfully, I wasn't on that long this morning. Something potentially interesting though. I chatted with Franklin and he seemed to imply that we could make selections when we got to GS. I guess we will see. Not overly happy with the way this was handled, but at least I don't have to get back in the queue for the next 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone still trying.
Good info. Thanks. Like you said, we'll see. Yep.... they weren't ready to roll this out...either. Yikes! Have a great trip though!!

When I was waiting on hold and talked to Azalea for the 2nd time yesterday she mentioned the same thing - that if I wanted, I could just show up and go to GS and pick out my DAS Advance Selections there. So maybe it is possible to do that during this transition period?

When I was waiting on hold and talked to Azalea for the 2nd time yesterday she mentioned the same thing - that if I wanted, I could just show up and go to GS and pick out my DAS Advance Selections there. So maybe it is possible to do that during this transition period?
I guess we’ll see.
They may do something during this transition period for people who were not able to get into the video chat.
But, they may have only offered the option to you because you were already registered for DAS thru video chat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter