• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virgin Sale before next July?!!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,
So we have left everything a little late and are trying to book flights for July 2014 but Virgin's prices are so high because of school hols. Is there any chance between now and then that they will have a sale?!!! I'm thinking maybe in January?! Perhaps just wishful thinking!
Debsx:rolleyes:

It depends on capacity of flights now. In the past there has been a sale xmas time so check cmas eve xmas day. Has it got to be VA?

Virgin had a sale last Jan which is when I booked our flights. But we go in November time so not sure if the sale included school hols times.:)

I would call virgin and see how full the flights are. We were looking for flights for the last two weeks of August 2014. We watched the prices and they never came down. We called Virgin and found the flights for next August are largely already heavily booked. To get a price we were happy to pay we have had to book flights to Miami ( instead of MCO) and use air miles. Not seen many sales with dates within school holidays. Keep checking you may get lucky.

We've generally booked our VA flights in January for the summer holidays. Not sure if they actually have a sale then, that's just when we'd saved up enough money.

We booked with BA in mid September as they were having a sale - flights were originally £4,100 for 2 adults and 2 children, and we got them for £3,600.

Only downside is that I got an email from BA at the beginning of the week to say they flight time had changed and we were no longer taking off at 11:30, but at 1:40 instead :sad1: Hoping it moves to an earlier slot before we go... :confused3

Thanks for your help guys.....I will keep checking the website religiously and hope for a sale! It doesn't have to be Virgin, just that it is convenient for us to fly with them from Manchester. However, open to options as the price is super crazy for Premium Economy.....my fault for leaving it so late I know!!!!
Anyone flown with Thomson?!
Debspixiedust:

Anyone flown with Thomson?!
Debspixiedust:
I haven't, personally, but a friend of mine from work did, the same time as us in 2011 (we flew with VA). At the time she was quite pleased as there was a point where the VA pilots were threatening to go on strike in the August (luckily they didn't, and it was fine for us).

I don't recall her having issues with Thomson.

We've generally booked our VA flights in January for the summer holidays. Not sure if they actually have a sale then, that's just when we'd saved up enough money.

We booked with BA in mid September as they were having a sale - flights were originally £4,100 for 2 adults and 2 children, and we got them for £3,600.

Only downside is that I got an email from BA at the beginning of the week to say they flight time had changed and we were no longer taking off at 11:30, but at 1:40 instead :sad1: Hoping it moves to an earlier slot before we go... :confused3

A few people have been moved to the later flight recently - it's very odd!

A few people have been moved to the later flight recently - it's very odd!
They said they were only scheduling one flight on that day (not sure if sales have been slow - but I'm sure they'll pick up in the new year) - but I'm sure there were 2 flights listed when I booked, the 11:20 and the 1:30. But I was also told that if they do lay on another flight, we will go out on the first one of the day. So hoping they'll have another 11ish flight as I was planning on being at our resort at a reasonable time for the kids to eat dinner.

They said they were only scheduling one flight on that day (not sure if sales have been slow - but I'm sure they'll pick up in the new year) - but I'm sure there were 2 flights listed when I booked, the 11:20 and the 1:30. But I was also told that if they do lay on another flight, we will go out on the first one of the day. So hoping they'll have another 11ish flight as I was planning on being at our resort at a reasonable time for the kids to eat dinner.

A few of us have had this issue - have a look at my thread from a few days ago:
GRRR -BA Rant

I assume you are flying on a Thursday - if so don't bank on them adding the flight back in.

Hi Debs, I just looked at my old emails and VA have had seat sales mid Jan early Feb and mid April. The sales were for five days and I got the email '*** I'm signed up to their frequent flyer club. So if you're not already a member it is worth signing up.

I haven't flown with Thompson but a friend just booked for June on the new plane - Dreamliner I think and she said she got a really good rate for Premium Economy compared to Virgin.

We are, yes. Oh, that's disappointing!! :rolleyes2

I recommend keeping an eye on all your flights until you actually travel. Reports over the last week or so on a couple of non Disney forums had people seeing their return flights changed, not only to a different time, but to the day before. Logged into my BA manage my booking last night and it told me my booking has been canceled and I do not currently have a reservation with them. I've emailed them and asked them to call me. I can't be doing with this on a Monday :rotfl:

To the OP, set a budget, book when you are happy and stop looking. Even booking on a sale you run the risk of having a better price appear later on; but you equally run the risk of being priced out. I dont' think there is an easy way to get good flights except for continuously trawling the flight sites

That is not good that they're cancelling flights and changing them. There must be a decrease in demand. I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Debs. I'm watching the Virgin prices too, but for August. I don't know if you've checked lately but I've noticed that it is the outbound leg that is most expensive for our dates. So we're thinking of doing Economy out and Premium Economy back. It's always the flight back where we need the peace and the extra room the most. It might work out better for you if you can't get a decent deal.

That is not good that they're cancelling flights and changing them. There must be a decrease in demand. I hope you manage to get it sorted. Debs. I'm watching the Virgin prices too, but for August. I don't know if you've checked lately but I've noticed that it is the outbound leg that is most expensive for our dates. So we're thinking of doing Economy out and Premium Economy back. It's always the flight back where we need the peace and the extra room the most. It might work out better for you if you can't get a decent deal.
What we found this year for mid august is they were flying out in a330s and back in 777s so they have a lot less seats on the outward leg and this the prices climb quicker. It is worse in PE because it is a very small PE cabin

Fair enough if flight times change, or are delayed, but to bring someone's flight forward a day is appalling! What reason (and right) do they have for doing that? Is it BA or another airline?

Fair enough if flight times change, or are delayed, but to bring someone's flight forward a day is appalling! What reason (and right) do they have for doing that? Is it BA or another airline?

My post was referring specifically to BA. I don't know if this has happened with other airlines and I'm sure it has, but the recent reports I found referred to BA flights.

What we found this year for mid august is they were fling out in a330s and back in 777s so they have a lot less seats on the outward leg and this the prices climb quicker. It is worse in PE because it is a very small PE cabin

I didn't realize that A330's have fewer seats. Do they still have premium economy in the bubble on those or is it a different set up?

I didn't realize that A330's have fewer seats. Do they still have premium economy in the bubble on those or is it a different set up?

The A330 is a single deck aircraft and the hold around 300 passengers compared to 450 on the 747.

VS are not going to be using the A330 as standard on the MCO routes next year as they are going to be refitted from their current 2 class config to a 3 class config and serve the Caribbean :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter