Virginia Beach: 11 people killed in mass shooting, police say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sand Wedge

Registered
Eleven people were killed and six others injured in a mass shooting at a government building in the US state of Virginia, police said.

Police said the suspect, a long-term and current employee at Virginia Beach Municipal Center, where the shooting occurred, fired "indiscriminately".

The gunman, whose identity was not released, was killed when police responded to the incident.

Reports of the shooting started shortly after 16:00 (20:00 GMT) on Friday.

Police Chief James Cervera said the suspect returned fire on police officers after being engaged but was killed.

Megan Banton, an administrative assistant in the building, told local television news station WAVY that she "heard people yelling and screaming at people to get down".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48481814
😥

I live about 45 minutes away and been watching our local news.

Prayers going out to the families.

Both my 20 something kids are in Virginia Beach now for a weekend music festival. When I first saw the news, I panicked. After reading more, I realized my kids were no where near it. My heart goes out to all the families who lost loved ones today. It is so tragic.

If you know anyone visiting VB right now, take comfort to know that the municipal buildings and the courthouse are far away from the oceanfront and town center. Not too many reasons for tourists to be in that area.

Deleted because I misinterpreted what I read.

Last edited:

I didn't get that at all. I read it as PP wanted others to know that if they know people vacationing there to not panic.
This, thank you. The post right above mine was someone who has kids in VB right now. I felt for her as she was describing her reaction until she found out they are not near the place of the shooting. Since I live in VB, I thought I would let people know who may have loved ones visiting, and not know the geography, they are safe.

12 dead as one injured passed away.

News conference on now.
They said they will name shooter only once as now is the time for the victims.

He used a handgun with extended magazines. And a rifle.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, we are way past hope at this point. Don't worry ... the thoughts and prayers will fix it.

I know, but most of my points have come from these types of posts so I’m trying to behave myself. My unfiltered thoughts would send me on a round the world vacation.

I hate stuff like this and despte the mocking will pray for the people involved. Let me stand up for MY Country though, despite this terrible thing, The USA is still the only Country the world is trying to get in, even if they have to risk their life to sneak in

I hate stuff like this and despte the mocking will pray for the people involved. Let me stand up for MY Country though, despite this terrible thing, The USA is still the only Country the world is trying to get in, even if they have to risk their life to sneak in
It's not the only one but certainly the only one we hear about. Other nations are dealing with heavy immigration too.

I remember when a shooting like this was shocking. :(

The USA is still the only Country the world is trying to get in, even if they have to risk their life to sneak in

Speaking as someone whose nation is in the middle of an immigration crisis, I'd contest this. Economic migrants, refugees and everything in between stow away on lorries going through the Eurotunnel and now - the in thing - hunker down in small inflatable dinghies and brave the English Channel, often dying. The allure of the UK is the strong, to literally heavily risk their lives and the lives of their CHILDREN just to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter