Virginia Beach in March?

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
I've never been to Virginia Beach. DH has to head out there for a military school for a couple weeks in March.

Is there anything to do in March in Virginia Beach or is it pretty much closed up for winter? I read about the Boardwalk but I'm not sure if that'd be something that is lively in mid March or not.

Dh would have the weekend free. We like exploring new areas and we think of it as a cheap way to see someplace new. The rental car and hotel would already be paid for. So it's just my airfare. But even that plus the money we'd be spending on sightseeing and my food would probably turn Virginia Beach into a $800 weekend.

So your thoughts, is there stuff to do in mid March to warrant going out there?

DH will only be gone for 2 weeks so going out there would strictly be to tour Virginia Beach, not because I haven't seen DH in ages and would need to see him. As some might say if he's gone for a long time the cost would warranty seeing each other. But that's not something that needs to be considered.

Thanks!

I don't think there's a whole lot going on in March. If you all are runners, there's the Shamrock Marathon/8k. It will still be cold, and the oceanfront is usually very windy. The Boardwalk will be pretty quiet. You could definitely go to the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, and there are some historic houses in the area.

The actual oceanfront will most likely still be still be mostly closed up(the bars and restaurants will probably be open). But there's usually always something to do. The aquarium should be open. Thats pretty neat. We have a pretty good mall(Lynnhaven) if you want to do some shopping. There are some good restaurants all throughout the area. It's a year round city. Pretty much only the ocean front and Farm Bureau Live(the Amphitheater) are seasonal. And Busch Gardens(in Williamsburg) may be in their spring hours(open Fri, Sat, Sun) by then but I'm not sure about that it'd be best to check their website.

I did check Busch Gardens and they're closed when we'd be going.

I think based upon your two inputs and what I read online it's probably best not to go. Yes there are things to do but I don't feel like I would have visited Virginia Beach without going to the boardwalk in the middle of summer.

I don't even know why we call it a boardwalk, I've been on it and its not a boardwalk. Its either asphalt or concrete and you drive on it during the winter holidays to see the lights on it.

But yeah, March is not a great month to visit here if you want a ton of outdoor stuff. It could be great weather or wet weather. And most open things are indoors.

I don't even know why we call it a boardwalk, I've been on it and its not a boardwalk. Its either asphalt or concrete and you drive on it during the winter holidays to see the lights on it. But yeah, March is not a great month to visit here if you want a ton of outdoor stuff. It could be great weather or wet weather. And most open things are indoors.

Yeah, I grew up going to the Jersey shore where the boardwalks are awesome. Whatever that is in VA Beach is underwhelming.

VA Beach is the nearest beach to me. There's no reason I would ever go there. (I do love Busch Gardens though--it's too bad it won't be open because I've been a few times in march where the weather has been perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter