Virtual Family Kingdom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to Hurricane about this issue yesterday. He said that they are working on getting it resolved. In the meantime, my son isn't logging on...he will be able to as soon as it's fixed.

WOW. Well, that's the last time I'm entering this game until they make some serious changes. Someone- still with the guest title- was digging for information from a young person. Unfortunately, I couldn't see either person, but I'm guessing the recipient of this act was a girl. You know, I asked a moderator yesterday what the deal was with the help feature, but she said just to come and find a staff member for now. This is sick.

There is a lot of information flying around this game right now- for some reason we're allowed to talk about VMK and fansites, where is that line exactly? And rules don't really matter if there's no way to enforce them. I really doubt there are any chat logs, and since it's nearly impossible to enter the same room again after leaving, I'm scared for what could happen. Sure, the game is new and they're still working out some bugs, but how can they explain starting a family game without this ability??? If you can't do the coding necessary in flash, set up a chat box on the side window that puts you in contact with a moderator. Trickery is one thing, but the having moderators who really can't do much to stop behaviors? That's another.

Anyway, I told them about the situation in the 'contact us' link, but we'll see- sounds like not many people have gotten responses lately. I just hope that this is the next thing on the list for them. This is a critical time for building a positive community, and if people realize they can get away with anything here, it's over.

I asked VFK_Groovy about talking about VMK and was told that it is ok to Talk about it because it is closed. They are even going to add "VMK" to the dictionary. The reason?? To help us all get re-aquainted with our VMK friends and to let us talk about our feeling about the game closing...it seems they are just trying to help us out, which is admirable if you ask me. I too have to agree though that we need a report button ASAP!:rolleyes1

This "family" game shouldn't even be open without a proper way to moderate it. "We are working on it" isn't enough in my opinion.
I find it very disturbing that they are risking the safety of our children just to ride on the coattails of VMK closing. :worried:

This "family" game shouldn't even be open without a proper way to moderate it. "We are working on it" isn't enough in my opinion.
I find it very disturbing that they are risking the safety of our children just to ride on the coattails of VMK closing. :worried:

I completely agree.

I can understand that point of view, certainly. But as a parent, it's no one's job to protect my son but my own. I was aware when I signed up to be a tester that things would be imperfect at this stage in the game, including safety features, and I realized that with my child fully in mind.

Still, again, it has been less than a week. Even after 3 years, VMK didn't come CLOSE to having that wrapped up. Sure, they had a report button, but what did it really do besides send a canned "ignore them and they will go away" kind of response? I never saw it do anything meaningful whatsoever. People were even afraid to report things for fear of getting banned themselves, and for good reason. What kind of safety system is that? There are so many things my son was not allowed to do in VMK, entirely because of these issues, that it wasn't even funny. So where is the difference, really, and why was no one up in arms over it then?

Chat just started working a day or two ago. I don't see how they could possibly have had a fully operational report/safety system in place without it, and I'm watching to see how fast they rectify this and how well it works after they do. In the meantime, my son is not logging on. This is the kind of issue parents need to think about when they allow their child to be part of an online community that is still in the very early testing phases.

Now, if they open VFK to the public without a working report and safety system in place, then yes...that's an entirely different thing. But right now, I see both sides of the coin, I am willing to reserve judgment, and I am doing my job and protecting my child.

I can understand that point of view, certainly. But as a parent, it's no one's job to protect my son but my own. I was aware when I signed up to be a tester that things would be imperfect at this stage in the game, including safety features, and I realized that with my child fully in mind.

Still, again, it has been less than a week. Even after 3 years, VMK didn't come CLOSE to having that wrapped up. Sure, they had a report button, but what did it really do besides send a canned "ignore them and they will go away" kind of response? I never saw it do anything meaningful whatsoever. People were even afraid to report things for fear of getting banned themselves, and for good reason. What kind of safety system is that? There are so many things my son was not allowed to do in VMK, entirely because of these issues, that it wasn't even funny. So where is the difference, really, and why was no one up in arms over it then?

Chat just started working a day or two ago. I don't see how they could possibly have had a fully operational report/safety system in place without it, and I'm watching to see how fast they rectify this and how well it works after they do. In the meantime, my son is not logging on. This is the kind of issue parents need to think about when they allow their child to be part of an online community that is still in the very early testing phases.

Now, if they open VFK to the public without a working report and safety system in place, then yes...that's an entirely different thing. But right now, I see both sides of the coin, I am willing to reserve judgment, and I am doing my job and protecting my child.

Very well said. I totally agree!

But as a parent, it's no one's job to protect my son but my own.
But many parents see the claim on the site that this is a moderated safe site and they trust it, who is watching those kids?

Sure, they had a report button, but what did it really do besides send a canned "ignore them and they will go away" kind of response? I never saw it do anything meaningful whatsoever.
The 'ignore' reply was to let you know that your report was received and a suggestion of what you could do to avoid the offending person while it was being taken care of. We didn't see it happen, but things were handled correctly behind the scenes.

Chat just started working a day or two ago. I don't see how they could possibly have had a fully operational report/safety system in place without it
Exactly, and children should not be allowed on this site in this stage of development. Safety has to be first when children are involved.

:hippie: Mamacita

Chat just started working a day or two ago. I don't see how they could possibly have had a fully operational report/safety system in place without it,

Exactly my point. Why not wait to release it..even its beta form, until that is at least in place? I'll give you one guess...

It appears to me, from reading throughout this thread, that there are a few if none moderators yet. All I have read about is the mention of in-game hosts.

I haven't seen anyone write about getting a response from contact us (correct me if I am wrong on this one) and the absence of the report button might as well have to do with the absence of people dealing with the safety issues that may come up!

Yes, one could argue that the game is still in beta testing but in my opinion safety is of vital importance in a family game, a game which many kids will play. So the report button should have been top priority, even if the beta testers were just parents/adults. After all, the testers check for flaws. They should have it up from the moment the chat was allowed to see how it works and whether there are any problems with its function and in that way to fix them as soon as possible.

Just my two cents.

WOW. Well, that's the last time I'm entering this game until they make some serious changes. Someone- still with the guest title- was digging for information from a young person. Unfortunately, I couldn't see either person, but I'm guessing the recipient of this act was a girl. You know, I asked a moderator yesterday what the deal was with the help feature, but she said just to come and find a staff member for now. This is sick.

There is a lot of information flying around this game right now- for some reason we're allowed to talk about VMK and fansites, where is that line exactly? And rules don't really matter if there's no way to enforce them. I really doubt there are any chat logs, and since it's nearly impossible to enter the same room again after leaving, I'm scared for what could happen. Sure, the game is new and they're still working out some bugs, but how can they explain starting a family game without this ability??? If you can't do the coding necessary in flash, set up a chat box on the side window that puts you in contact with a moderator. Trickery is one thing, but the having moderators who really can't do much to stop behaviors? That's another.

Anyway, I told them about the situation in the 'contact us' link, but we'll see- sounds like not many people have gotten responses lately. I just hope that this is the next thing on the list for them. This is a critical time for building a positive community, and if people realize they can get away with anything here, it's over.

Tiki I share your concern. I have been nothing but supportive of this new site and very excited to be a part of all of it and watching it grow.... but yesterday I saw some very foul language and, with no way to report it, am concerned that they *must* nip it in the bud before it grows out of control.

I spoke to Hurricane about this issue yesterday. He said that they are working on getting it resolved. In the meantime, my son isn't logging on...he will be able to as soon as it's fixed.

They have yet to hold to any of their stated policies. They PROMISED a safe environment for families. It's written in their "Constitution". We don't know anything about this company. Nothing at all. WHY are people so trusting about this lame Alpha phase not-even-chat website? I simply don't understand.

Redshoe? As a parent, you are keeping ONE child safe. Do you know how many children are trusting COMPLETE strangers on VFK? Guest# blah, blah, blah means nothing. Anyone can be anyone they wish. The filtering is mediocre, at best. No way to report anyone in-game or without, it seems. Yet you are their biggest advocate for giving them a chance.

As an adult, I have always reported anyone giving out personal info on vmk. Always, if it continued after I warned them first. I have never feared being banned for that. The canned responses meant nothing, true, but the report was made and filed. If anything bad were to occur, that report would be there so the chat logs could be pulled. What system does vfk have in place? I think as adults and parents, we need to contact the developers and request closing vfk until they have a monitoring system in place. Of course, I doubt most people here would agree with me.

I'm getting worried this is too similar to VMK, I hope disney doesn't shut it down.

Fourth of July Game - May be like Fireworks
Space Pirates - May be like Pirates
Wild West Ghost Town - May be like Haunted Mansion
Checkers - May be like VMK checkers.
Charms - May be like VMK Magic
Toolbar - Similar to VMK toolbar
Staff - Similar similar way they are named, some staff are the same
Adventures - May be similar to VMK Quests
Theme months - may be similar to VMK's theme months
(I got the mini game info off of the features section of the homepage)
So I hope they make these features different from VMK and not too similar.

And I REALLY want that help button to come out today or tomorrow as well.
I see spammers, door blockers, people talking other people into personal
info, stuff like that.

They have yet to hold to any of their stated policies. They PROMISED a safe environment for families. It's written in their "Constitution". We don't know anything about this company. Nothing at all. WHY are people so trusting about this lame Alpha phase not-even-chat website? I simply don't understand.

Redshoe? As a parent, you are keeping ONE child safe. Do you know how many children are trusting COMPLETE strangers on VFK? Guest# blah, blah, blah means nothing. Anyone can be anyone they wish. The filtering is mediocre, at best. No way to report anyone in-game or without, it seems. Yet you are their biggest advocate for giving them a chance.

As an adult, I have always reported anyone giving out personal info on vmk. Always, if it continued after I warned them first. I have never feared being banned for that. The canned responses meant nothing, true, but the report was made and filed. If anything bad were to occur, that report would be there so the chat logs could be pulled. What system does vfk have in place? I think as adults and parents, we need to contact the developers and request closing vfk until they have a monitoring system in place. Of course, I doubt most people here would agree with me.

I agree. Instead of closing altogether, they could just take out the chat option until they properly filter it and create a dictionary of allowed words, just like vmk.

I think as adults and parents, we need to contact the developers and request closing vfk until they have a monitoring system in place. Of course, I doubt most people here would agree with me.

I completely agree and will be writing to them today.

Staff.jpg

map.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter