• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virtual Family Kingdom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first glimpse at VFK live and in action thanks to a kind soul who let me log on as their character, and I have to say the game is exactly what I would expect it to be--a cheap ripoff imitation of VMK.

This game is such a clear violation of Disney's patented, copyrighted, and trademarked intellectual property that I have to believe that Disney will do something to shut this game down, especially now that they are taking money for the game. Disney has filed oppositions and sent cease and desist letters for a lot less than this. My guess is that Disney has either sent a cease and desist letter, and VFK has chosen to ignore it, or they are preparing to file and opposition, but are waiting until they have enough of a leg to stand on.

Until Disney does something about this, I will just remind people of this saying:

Let the buyer beware.

If and when Disney does all they can to shut VFK down, you may have no recourse to get back any money you spend on this game.

Remember, this is a company that registered a Domain Name for Virtual Family Kingdom the day after VMK announced it would be closing. They used graphics that were stolen from VMK in their initial announcement, and now they have games out that are cheap imitations of the games that VMK. This is a company with very shady business practices who has tried to prey on people when the game they loved closed.

I personally, can not and will not support a company that is trying to take advantage of people like VFK is. If others want to, that's their business, but if you're on the fence about paying for membership, just use caution.

they also registered vmkv2.com the day after :thumbsup2

Folks, sorry, but wouldn't you have done ANYTHING to play your fireworks game again? But we are being so critical of VFK we can't appreciate when they are filling our wishes. I for one can't wait until space pirates come out, because I love pirates! I can never get VMK back, and I haved moved on, and I completely welcome anything that is like it.

*cough* VFKG has 5 layouts, I loved making the VMK one *cough* :goodvibes ;)

I couldn't get past level 1, the moment I noticed the timing was almost the same, the way that you move is exactly the same, and the feeling of the game is dead on VMK...I just lost it. I spent my entire (almost entire) VMK life in that lobby, as many of you can attest. This is just a slap in the face and breaks my heart.
Feels just like the last time we all played fireworks together, Geggy, Days, Alias, Wonder, Jedi...all of us...except the magic is gone and never will return.

Hugs to you Night. I have such mixed feelings toward playing this fireworks game, nevermind that I have only been playing remixed for more than the past year! I played the entire 1st level, twice. I exited after the end of the 1st level. Besides not having a clue as to which game I'm supposed to be "following," I have such memories coming back to me of VMK's fireworks, that I just don't have the desire yet to really play and figure this game out.

The graphics are really bad in my opinion. And as far as the exit button is concerned..they could at least put up a window telling you "Are you sure you want to quit? I don't think so! Get back there and finish the game and you'll see how cute it is!". No?:rotfl:

ROFL. I kept getting pulled back in as well, and had to click on the map and walk to actually get out of it.

You know what, I get your message LOUD AND CLEAR. You hate the game. Lots of you do. It's almost as if you purposely sign into VFK to find all the negative things and then come running back here to post your disgust. Well, that does nothing for our DIS community, NOTHING.

My main purpose of signing onto VFK is to visit with friends who enjoy the game. I have very mixed feelings about all that is the same -- but I basically feel that there will never be another VMK, no matter what anyone does. That's probably the reason why I've been spending time in and enjoying other games more these days.

Hugs to you Pink. :hug: :hug:

I try to look at the good things in the game, and yesterday, I finally found so many friends that I haven't found previously - A definite plus!

It was great to find you in VFK last night, Sugar! I too try and sign on just a few times a week -- it's so wonderful to catch up with friends, no matter which game I log into.

Hugs everyone. :hug:

My life is falling apart, and I came on here tonight to seek out a respite, to find a place among friends, and I don't know... this thread just hit me where it hurts. I'm sitting here in tears over the fighting amongst friends. Arg, today was not the day to open this thread - my fault! :) And I apologize for my emotional outburts... well, because I AM emotional today, but that's beside the point)

Sorry things are going so poorly right now for you, Pink :( I hope everything you're going through now passes quickly pixiedust:

I've been following this thread since page one and only occassionally dropping in to post a comment. I've seen floods of positives followed by floods of negatives followed by more positives. I just want to say that nothing said on here strikes me as actual "fighting" so much as a civilized discussion. There has been no yelling, no name-calling, nothing found in what is typically called a "fight". I just really hope you don't look at this as your friends fighting any longer and look at it as them discussing the pros and cons of a game.

Giant hugs all around :grouphug:
Of the people criticizing vfk, I haven't seen even one of us criticizing the people who like vfk. I understand that you are enjoying it, please understand that I have serious concerns about the integrity of the company running it.

Copyright is serious. Whether a company is currently using copyrighted materials or not doesn't matter. It belongs to them and to copy it is to break the law. VMK being closed does not give VFK the right to steal.

Child safety is extremely serious. From what I've seen I wouldn't allow my children to play this game for anything. I can just see a predator joining up with the kids on the message boards complaining about their mean parents not paying for them, then offering to let them join his family when he "talks his parents into letting him sign up". Kids who want something don't always do what their told and many would disobey their parents and send their log in info to a "nice kid who is just like them". I just hope it hasn't already happened. Remember parents have been told this is a child safe game and I would bet most are not watching closely.

If VFK shuts down and any kids hearts are broken it won't be the fault of those who criticize it, it will be the fault of VFK for their poor business practices.

Let the buyer beware.

Woot! Caveat emptor! :cool1:

if you're on the fence about paying for membership, just use caution.

I would never pay for membership in a new company like this :). But I guess if Disney will sue, there went the money they made from people who paid anyway... gasp! ;)

- Sugar :)

It was great to find you in VFK last night, Sugar! I too try and sign on just a few times a week -- it's so wonderful to catch up with friends, no matter which game I log into.

Aww thanks! That's the same idea I have, though I would like to go onto only one and find all of my friends... I knew that would be the main problem when VMK closed

- Sugar :)

Giant hugs all around :grouphug:
Of the people criticizing vfk, I haven't seen even one of us criticizing the people who like vfk. I understand that you are enjoying it, please understand that I have serious concerns about the integrity of the company running it.

Copyright is serious. Whether a company is currently using copyrighted materials or not doesn't matter. It belongs to them and to copy it is to break the law. VMK being closed does not give VFK the right to steal.

Child safety is extremely serious. From what I've seen I wouldn't allow my children to play this game for anything. I can just see a predator joining up with the kids on the message boards complaining about their mean parents not paying for them, then offering to let them join his family when he "talks his parents into letting him sign up". Kids who want something don't always do what their told and many would disobey their parents and send their log in info to a "nice kid who is just like them". I just hope it hasn't already happened. Remember parents have been told this is a child safe game and I would bet most are not watching closely.

If VFK shuts down and any kids hearts are broken it won't be the fault of those who criticize it, it will be the fault of VFK for their poor business practices.

It's sad but true, there will always be predators especially on these free browser games. The forums are similar in a way to VMK's forums but I guess I would point fingers at VFK for being a bad role model and asking for our personal info.

It's sad but true, there will always be predators especially on these free browser games. The forums are similar in a way to VMK's forums but I guess I would point fingers at VFK for being a bad role model and asking for our personal info.

I missed the whole subscription deal that happened last week I guess... What info did they ask for??:sad2:

That's the same idea I have, though I would like to go onto only one and find all of my friends... I knew that would be the main problem when VMK closed

Yes, that would certainly make things easier. As of now, I am visiting friends in at least 3 games. :)

I personally, can not and will not support a company that is trying to take advantage of people like VFK is. If others want to, that's their business, but if you're on the fence about paying for membership, just use caution.

Guys, let me make this clear for you:

~Look at one side of the fence. It is lush, green, and filled with woodland creatures and pretty flowers. This is the side of the non-subscriber.

~Look at the fence. The fence is pointy, sharp, and covered in paint remover. You do not want to be on that fence.

~Look at the other side of the fence. It is filled with smog, cease and desist orders, lawsuits, and reruns of Friends. This is the side of the subscriber.

Which side do you want to be on? :rolleyes1

~Look at one side of the fence. It is lush, green, and filled with woodland creatures and pretty flowers. This is the side of the non-subscriber.

~Look at the fence. The fence is pointy, sharp, and covered in paint remover. You do not want to be on that fence.

~Look at the other side of the fence. It is filled with smog, cease and desist orders, lawsuits, and reruns of Friends. This is the side of the subscriber.

The fence sounds like fun!

I missed the whole subscription deal that happened last week I guess... What info did they ask for??:sad2:

Problem is they are offering a family plan that can include up to 20 people that requires the purchaser of the plan to have the user ids and passwords of anybody they add to their family. I forsee "families" being created on message boards and people getting kids usernames and passwords who should not have them. At best, scammers, at worst, predators.

Its an OK game. When im bored, I log in.

Even though they are trying to copy VMK, I like the game.

I missed fireworks very much on VMK, and when they brought the game back on VFK I was happy.

You guys are forgetting something. VFK developers opened the game very early. They could have waited awhile to open, but they didn't.

I actually see many people who payed, and are happy.

If you hate the game, dont play it, and dont talk about it.

If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all.

You can say they are copying VMK all you want, and you can say they are doing a terrible job, but they are trying their best.

Its an OK game. When im bored, I log in.

Even though they are trying to copy VMK, I like the game.

I missed fireworks very much on VMK, and when they brought the game back on VFK I was happy.

You guys are forgetting something. VFK developers opened the game very early. They could have waited awhile to open, but they didn't.

I actually see many people who payed, and are happy.

If you hate the game, dont play it, and dont talk about it.

If you have nothing nice to say, dont say it at all.

You can say they are copying VMK all you want, and you can say they are doing a terrible job, but they are trying their best.

It doesn't matter what their "best" happens to be, stealing is breaking the law, and no amount of effort on their part will change it. I haven't seen anyone say anything that isn't "nice" just to use caution. Telling us not to state our opinion is a bit out of line, I haven't seen any posts implying they "hate" the game, this is only a discussion of our opinions based on what we have witnessed.

If the only way they could open the game was by stealing ideas from VMK, perhaps they should have waited and opened at a later date.

But I like Friends reruns.:love:

I really do try my best to leave this thread alone, but I see so many misguided kids that I can't stay away.
I've been told I was negative in my posts and a 'naysayer', however my concern then is the same as it is now, protecting the kids. I don't play vfk, I refuse to for many reasons, not the least of which is the lack of safety of personal information. VFK has done it again, with this new "Founders" package that promises unique items to "families" of up to 20 members. Simple enough, in theory, but in practice, kids are FAR too trusting and will give other players their personal login info for that pretty silver hat that won't be available to anyone who isn't a "founding member" and may some day actually be "rare". I cannot, in good conscience, let this slide. It's just wrong in SO many ways. I don't care about what games they have copied from vmk or which former vmk staff are working for vfk, let vfk handle the legal issues and let the moderators live with their own personal choices for employment in a poor economy. I am only concerned for the children who WILL give out their passwords for the sake of a token virtual prize. Call me whatever name you wish, I stand by my decision to keep a look out for the kids' safety. I do not now, nor will I in the future, play vfk. I do the quests, when I can, for the sole purpose of gifting those items later to anyone who wasn't able to log on for the quests. End of story.
I am saddened by vfk's lack of direction. When they first announced their new game, I was ecstatic! A new idea! History! What happened to that? They have no plan, no clear direction and that only means failure. Any business without a sound plan is destined to fail. I won't sit around and wait for that, I've already moved on to Wizard101 and I'm having a great time! It's original, it's fun and I've met some awesome former vmk players there. I'm happy in my new virtual 'home'. Yes, there is room for improvement, but all-in-all it is a quality game and safe for children.

Pink: I'm sorry things aren't going well in your world. I hope things improve for you. I know I've used the magic of vmk to get me through some tough emotional times, and I truly hope you find that same comfort with your friends and family. ~hugs~

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter