Visa accepted at St. Maarten & St. Thomas?

Yes. I've used my VISA card in both of these ports.

I would suggest that you call your credit card company and let them know that you will be traveling to the Caribbean, so that they don't shut your card off. Some banks will do this as a "courtesy" if they detect an unusual spending pattern. I always call the week before I'm going and let them know where I'll be and for how long so that they can note it in the account record. I've never had a problem with this, but have heard horror stories from people who have. Apparently, it's quite a production to get your card re-activated from overseas.

The islands tend to frown on American Express I guess the fees are more. We were told directly at Diamonds International we could have a better rate if we used Mastercard and an even better deal if we paid part cash for my ring. So we paid about four hundred in cash and the rest on the M.C. I had called our bank before leaving but they still wanted to speak to myself or DH before they would let the 500.00 charge go through. They said it is a courtesy when you are spending over 500.00 in Mexico. They asked my mothers maiden name and a few other security questions and it was fine. They apologized for the inconvience but it didn't bother me- I was glad they were on top of things.

It's going to depend on the store, not so much the country.

On St. Maarten some of the little t-shirt shops did not take credit cards. So if you are planning on buying some cheap stuff to take home you may want to bring some cash. I bought those 3/10 dollar swim suit sarong thingys to bring home to my kids teachers.
:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter