visiting colleges

We are on our first kid looking at colleges, so I maybe I am confused but, I thought you could only apply to 1 school for early admission. :confused3

There is a difference between Early Action/Early Admission (which are generally non-binding) and Early Decision, which typically is binding (with outs allowed general depending on financial aid packages).

ibcnu - we're in NJ as well but my DD doesn't like any of the NJ schools but we've asked her to look at a couple and she's agreed to see look at Montclair and Rider (oh, yeah!). My youngest DD wants a southern school which is fine with me since I went to school in Alabama!

lam0037 - Roll Tide! What are you studying at Auburn?....my youngest wants Veterinary so I actually want her to look at Auburn!

ibcnu - we're in NJ as well but my DD doesn't like any of the NJ schools but we've asked her to look at a couple and she's agreed to see look at Montclair and Rider (oh, yeah!). My youngest DD wants a southern school which is fine with me since I went to school in Alabama! lam0037 - Roll Tide! What are you studying at Auburn?....my youngest wants Veterinary so I actually want her to look at Auburn!

I'm in NJ too. I don't like most of the NJ schools either, but I'm looking at MSU as well because it's affordable and has a good Musical Theatre program. I hear the campus is really pretty, too.

My daughter is a senior, and we started looking in the fall of her junior year. We were on vacation and took her and her best friend to visit a school in the area we were visiting. She had actually been on campus of two of the larger schools in our state for school functions prior to that, staying overnight in a dorm at one of them, which was what made her absolutely sure that she did not want to go to a large college. She likes to have interaction and personal relationships with her teachers, so we focused on small schools. She does not get any time out of school for college visits so we have visited on school breaks and gone to open houses/preview days on weekends. If I am counting correctly we've visited a total of 9 campuses. We visited the last one when she was out of school last week for election day-it was one that had somehow escaped her radar earlier. Of the 9, she has applied to 4, including the one we visited last week, and plans to apply to at least one more. She has already been accepted at 2, but honestly, the school we visited last week has become her favorite, so I'm glad we didn't stop looking after the visits last year. She knows what we can afford, and for the most part, all of the schools she applied to will probably be in our range if she is offered enough merit aid. One school is private but she qualifies for aid there, and the other is out of state but she may possibly qualify for in-state tuition there. Once she knows what they are offering, she'll make a decision.

I did not go to college myself, and my husband only applied to the one he attended, so I wanted to give her all the options I could and told her from the beginning that we would let her visit any school she was interested in within reason. Most of her friends who are also seniors have barely visited any schools at this point and only a few have applied to any, while she has already visited all the ones she was interested in and applied to all but one. I am glad we started early and she did say that she was very appreciative that we have given her the opportunity to see what she liked about different schools before she applied.

Colleges call it different things.

I was here last weekend for a tour. They call it "Saturday Showcase Visits".
http://www.truman.edu/admission-cost/visit-truman/showcases/

Look up the visit schedules of the colleges with the majors your dd is interested in.

Just had to shout out to my alma mater! I did my undergrad there when it was NMSU. Back then it was a "Value-Added" education :) I hope you enjoyed your campus visit :goodvibes

I was a Pershing scholar, which really simplified my choices. We just did our first campus visit with DS, who is a junior. We plan to do more visits in spring and this summer. I'm hoping to convince him to do early decision, but he will probably insist on keeping his options open...

Maria :upsidedow

DD is just a junior - but I have seen some of her friends already visiting (even a sophomore friend).

I know we get 2 days off of school to visit as a jr. Just not sure if it's time. maybe I'm in denial. :rotfl2:

I just figure they don't want to talk to us until her senior year.

I also don't have a clue what to expect....since she's my 1st.

With both girls, we started sophomore year. We did the local places that year, and then in junior year, the girls went with their college prep teachers out of town. If they had wanted to go any place that they didn't go with the teachers, we would have taken them during junior year.

DD2 chose to not go onto to college immediately after high school, but is looking at starting in the next year. DD1 finished her bachelors in business a year ago, and is working on her masters (she did 2 years at community college to get the base courses out of the way, and was planning on nursing school. She switched majors after a year, and was only going part time for the next 2 years.)

We are on our first kid looking at colleges, so I maybe I am confused but, I thought you could only apply to 1 school for early admission. :confused3

There is Early Action and Early Decision (which is binding). There are only a few schools that restrict your ability to apply Early Action, asking that you only apply to them but non-binding (ivy league type) . Some schools even have Early Action II.

If you aren't sure of finances, you really can't apply Early Decision. On the other hand, if you want to get an idea of what schools may give decent merit, early action is a good thing. There are two of the EA schools DD applied to that, in the case of full ride, she will significantly shorten her RD list.

As far as how much a family can afford, have a number or range. I decided on a number when the whole process started. I know what I am willing to forego and how much I'm willing to change my lifestyle. for now, I purchased a 2001 Jeep and will be turning in my 2012 Crosstour lease when it ends this summer, saving me $4500/year on top of what I think I can save monthly. My daughter can estimate how much she can contribute each year as well, so between us with have THAT number. Unfortunately, we don't have bio dad's number and he'll be the loose cannon in all of this.

My daughter started 10th grade this year and so far we have visited/toured 3 colleges, Dartmouth, Columbia and NYU. We are driving cross country in July so I told her to figure out what other places she wanted to see and we would stop at them on our road trip. Her heart is really set on NYU but they have a low acceptance rate so she has to have some fall backs- Columbia is even less, I think they said 13%. She didn't care for Dartmouth.

NYU has an acceptance rate of about 33%, so that is much better than Columbia's, which is like 7 or 8% these days....And NYU isn't known for giving much aid....Be sure to add some match schools and safety schools in the mix....

I'm an undergraduate academic advisor and I meet with high school juniors interested in our program all the time. If the college doesn't want to talk to her now, I'd consider that a sign of things to come and find someone more welcoming!

Just had to shout out to my alma mater! I did my undergrad there when it was NMSU. Back then it was a "Value-Added" education :) I hope you enjoyed your campus visit :goodvibes

I was a Pershing scholar, which really simplified my choices. We just did our first campus visit with DS, who is a junior. We plan to do more visits in spring and this summer. I'm hoping to convince him to do early decision, but he will probably insist on keeping his options open...

Maria :upsidedow

DD is more than likely going to choose Truman. She can get 7,000 walking in the door for starters, just for her grades and ACT test.

She did the scholar academy there (JBA) and knows the professor in the English Dept.

There are only 6,000 students, so the ratio is fantastic with 25-30/per class.

We are going to visit MSU (Missouri State U) next. That is in Springfield MO. Oldest dd went there for a yr so we are familiar with the campus.

I have to agree that the first step (or at least a very early one) needs to be a very open and honest conversation about finances. Make sure she knows what you can afford and what things she can do get some aid (you got some great advice above on how to do that).

We can't afford any of it. :crazy2:

Then, she needs to know that! (it'S daunting, isn't it? To say the least)
And have a frank discussion about loans and realistic starting salary expectations. Make sure she knows that scholarship money is more readily available to her in places where she is still one of the better applicants. If SHE is going to be on the hook for her full education cost, she needs to know what that means and how to look for better deals for herself.

There was a news article that I saw this morning that reminded me of this thread:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/10-things-kids-applying-college/story?id=26897509

Dd won't get any scholarship $. She's just an average student. :rolleyes1

Define "average". If she is a C student, no, she probably won't get any scholarships. If she is a better student than that, don't count out scholarships.

As for the "preview days" vs the tours--preview days are generally a day or weekend where a lot of people are on campus learning about the school. Tours in large groups are given as well as sitting in an auditorium learning how the campus has blue lights for safety. Personally I liked the individual visits much better but attend some of both to start and see what you like.

DD is more than likely going to choose Truman. She can get 7,000 walking in the door for starters, just for her grades and ACT test.

She did the scholar academy there (JBA) and knows the professor in the English Dept.

There are only 6,000 students, so the ratio is fantastic with 25-30/per class.

We are going to visit MSU (Missouri State U) next. That is in Springfield MO. Oldest dd went there for a yr so we are familiar with the campus.

Truman is a hidden gem of a school!!

luvmyfam444--look at the Truman website--the used to have a chart (not sure if they still do) showing that for x GPA and y ACT/SAT score you get $zzz to attend. There are many such schools out there that do that.

Junior year is a perfect time to start visits. Senior year is really too late because there are only so many free days to visit before application deadlines in November.

Great article!

Don't say you can't afford anything, think about what you CAN afford!

Start with the first year.

It's not too late if it's junior year. Can your child work the next two summers and save most of it for school? That's probably $4000.

Can you save $100 a month over the next two years? $2400

Can they live at home with you continuing to cover their room and board? That's HUGE. If they can't live at home, could you give them $200 a month to help cover their food since they won't be eating at home? That's $2000 over 10 months.

Can your child work during the year while in college? 10 hours a week could bring in almost $400 a month - so $4000 over 10 months.

Already, with very little sacrifice on the part of you and your child, you are at over $12000 for that first year.

What is your tax load? We save roughly $2000 a year on our taxes because of educational expenses. So add that in for helping the next year.

I have two kids in college right now. Yes, it's challenging. However, if you stop thinking about what you can't afford and what you CAN do to cover it, it's doable with a lot less loans for your child than you think.

In our case, we lived on one income so my part time job enabled some college savings and going full time when they hit college enabled more out of pocket so we've avoided avoided loans that way. We also paid off our mortgage right before our oldest hit school (15 year mortgage) so it freed up that money to help pay as well. That said, we've spent less of that money than we thought just by what the kids have helped with through their jobs, scholarships, etc.

Freshman year, my brainiac older son got some local scholarships. He applied through school, DHs work, church, community organizations, etc. Sophmore year was tougher because his school didn't do merit aide. Junior and senior year he got departmental scholarships. My younger son was less of a brain in high school but still had good grades and was eligible for more help because we had two in college and he looked very needy, opening up more scholarship opportunities for him. He got money from his school, which he now continues to get by maintaining his GPA.

We talk regularly with both kids about money. They pay all their own pocket money expenses and books. We pay tuition/room/board with the understanding they have to get as much financial aide/scholarship as possible. Our older son had a paid internship so took on a little more of his own room/board expenses because his savings account was getting too healthy compared to ours! Both boys see ALL of the numbers each Fall, Winter Break and Spring Break when we sit down to pay the bills. We do it when they are home on vacation. I can tell you (and I always tell them) what we have given them to the penny. We don't make a big deal out of it, it just is our quarterly routine. The boys seem to appreciate it - they tell me many of their friends don't even seem to know what school costs. They're also very happy not to have loans - I think seeing the numbers helps them appreciate. It was very eye opening, especially to our oldest who started school before I went back to work full time, to see what percentage of our annual income was going to his school!

My point if you've made it this far, is that you can probably help your kids more than you think. Just encourage them to make careful choices and COMMUNICATE about all the ins and outs of where the money is coming from.

We flat out told our kids what dollar amount we could afford and that they would get NONE of it if they took out more than the subsidized federal loans. That plus any scholarships they earned told them the exact number they had to fall within.

I'm an undergraduate academic advisor and I meet with high school juniors interested in our program all the time. If the college doesn't want to talk to her now, I'd consider that a sign of things to come and find someone more welcoming!

:thumbsup2

Actually the tour of campus and meeting Professors in your planned major is very important in certain majors

My "brilliant" (he really is) Nephew had one safe school but REALLY wanted MIT all thru HS, but also looked at 2 others on their week long tour up east-summer between jr & Sr year

His tour, speaking with profs and the fact that Carnegie Mellon allowed hands -on participation Freshman Year in his interests(artificial intelligence, and computer robotics) and MIT didn't completely changed his mind
He got accepted in Dec Sr year to Carnegie Mellon and was over the Moon!:thumbsup2

If that's truly the case (you're in very good company for sure) community college might well be a good place for your daughter to start out. Saves you significant bucks on tuition. And room and board for a freshman at a state school is likely gonna run you $7-10k a year so living at home is a huge financial plus.

College can be a real academic adjustment, whether you got A's or C's in high school. And if you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, your first year classes may in the end not be useful or count towards your eventual major. That's a lot easier to take if you paying CC prices.

I would say if your child is not expected to get much scholarship-wise (average or just above average student) is not being recruited for athletics or musical/acting ability, or some other talent, then waiting till Spring or summer before senior year is fine.

If your child stands a chance at some scholarship money or sports/music scholarships, you would want to start earlier narrowing down your schools.

I rather disagree with this. If the high schooler is at the top of his or her class and/or has high test scores, then more than likely, many college application fees will be waived. My advice has always been that if you receive an application fee waiver for a school, apply - you have absolutely nothing to lose. Also, if the school has sought out the student to award a waiver, that is a good indication that there is potential scholarship money.

So I would argue that the students at the top of the class should actually be applying to more schools because they will not have to spend as much money on applications.

I would think that the average student would actually have a more difficult time narrowing down schools because there are so many community colleges and small private schools... where do they even begin?

I rather disagree with this. If the high schooler is at the top of his or her class and/or has high test scores, then more than likely, many college application fees will be waived. My advice has always been that if you receive an application fee waiver for a school, apply - you have absolutely nothing to lose. Also, if the school has sought out the student to award a waiver, that is a good indication that there is potential scholarship money.

So I would argue that the students at the top of the class should actually be applying to more schools because they will not have to spend as much money on applications.

I would think that the average student would actually have a more difficult time narrowing down schools because there are so many community colleges and small private schools... where do they even begin?

That's a big reason my "desirable" student isn't applying to all the schools that seek her out and waive the fee. She gets overwhelmed and stressed out by too many things to consider---and she feels terribly guilty turning down a better financial offer to a school that she really doesn't want to go to. So, she made the choice (with my full support) to only apply to schools that have a full program in her desired major (some places she can major in special ed, but it is not really a focus) and are not in urban settings (she finds big cities stressful) to avoid that. (knowing we can swing the cost of the schools she is looking at, even at the bare minimum gty scholarships--though it will help immensely if she can get more).

There is Early Action and Early Decision (which is binding). There are only a few schools that restrict your ability to apply Early Action, asking that you only apply to them but non-binding (ivy league type) . Some schools even have Early Action II.

If you aren't sure of finances, you really can't apply Early Decision. On the other hand, if you want to get an idea of what schools may give decent merit, early action is a good thing. There are two of the EA schools DD applied to that, in the case of full ride, she will significantly shorten her RD list.

You can always ask the financial aid office about the package you are eligible for. My dd wanted to apply Early Decision to Muhlenberg but I was unsure if we could afford it - turns out the financial aide office will do an early read and let you know how much you would be getting. We did this...it was in our financial range (although we are giving up alot so she can go to her dream college)...she applied early decision, was accepted and when they sent us the package deal it was actually a little more than they estimated. Maybe the schools you are looking at will provide this service. On a side note, over 80% of the freshman accepted were early decision and the biggest financial aid packages went to them. The college wants kids to truly want to go there, and not pick the school based on who gives the best package. Good luck!

DD is a college freshman. We did college visits Spring of Junior year. She started the Applications in August before Senior year started. She was accepted to her first choice in October and began additional scholarship apps then.

I would not have wanted to just be starting the process Senior year. The only visit we made Senior year was a return trip to her top choice to look at dorms so that she was ready to make her dorm choice when that window opened last January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter