Visiting Disney World Again But Never Been to Universal Studios

My family loves both Disney and Universal. My boys are 14, 12, and 9 and, as they have gotten older, they look forward to the Universal part of the trips more. They love the on site hotels (all three) and being able to ride their favorites with very little wait, over and over.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, along with Harry Potter and the Simpsons, Universal has a lot of other properties that are very appealing to most 10-year-old boys. They have a Marvel area, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, Despicable Me, Shrek, E.T., and an awesome Dr. Suess land.

I personally like Universal more than Disney. The rides are just more fun. I think this time around with my kids being 7, 9 and 13 years old, they'll agree. Last time we went was 4 years ago and my daughter couldn't go on a lot of stuff so it wasn't as much fun for her.

US isn't full of coasters (especially with the Hulk now out of commission) but they have more "real coasters" than Disney. Overall, I'd say definitely give Universal a go with your 3 day trip.

I love both Disney and Universal as well as the other parks in the area(Sea World and Busch Gardens)but Universal has just been so dominating over the last 5+ years and from all the attractions they're opening in the next 5 years they appear to continue that dominance,even with Disney's Avatarland and Toy Story and Star Wars areas.I mean when you list all the new things going in it leaves you speechless how many attractions are getting built.

1.New Volcano Bay water park
2.New Hulk coaster,literally new since the old one was scrapped
3.Skull Island Reign of Kong
4.Jimmy Fallon Soarin style ride over New York
5.Fast and Furious ride
6.Kidzone revamp with possible Nintendo theming
7.Sapphire Falls resort
8.New Cabana Bay tower
9.Secret life of Pets dark ride (rumored)
10.Rumored expansion to Potter areas
11.New theme park rumor

About days - I would not plan to only do one day there. There is so much! Ideally, 3 days should do it - though we did 6 in the parks on our last trip and will do 6 on our next trip. We like to repeat rides though. At a minimum, I'd do two days, but three makes it easier not to rush.

As for express pass, it really depends on when you go. We've done it both staying at a hotel that has it and staying off-site. Since we go in the off season, we've barely used express pass even when we've had it! It would be very important going during a busy time though. Right now, we have one trip planned that's a split stay - some on-site with express and some off. We're in the process of planning another trip and will be staying at Cabana Bay - which is onsite but doesn't get express. However, they do get the morning extra hour. Due to how little we've needed express in the past, I expect we'll be fine, especially since we'll have the early hour.

we like both Disney and Universal (and we're not into Harry Potter). Give Universal a try, there's less rollercoasters at Universal Studios than Islands of Adventure (even at Islands of Adventure there's a lot else to do)

OP I was going to move this to Universal Forum, but as you have asked for WDW fan's perspective have moved this to TPAS Community :)

We have annual passes to all the central FL theme parks and definitely spend more time at WDW then any other theme park. My son is 11 and not a thrill ride seeker. We find Disney more suited to our interests.

There ARE rides and shows for a non-thrill seekers at Universal and IOA though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter