Visiting TDR for the 2014 Holidays. Please help

greenkai3000

DIS Veteran
Plans to visit the resort in the Spring have fallen through. Now thinking about visiting during the 2014 Holidays.

How crowded are the parks during the month of December? Is there a week when they are not as busy as say the week of Xmas or NYE?

Maybe the week after Thanksgiving in the USA, or the month of November if the Xmas decorations are up by then? Is it crazy expensive? Do the Japanese go on Winter Break too? Will inclement weather like last year's snow shut down the parks?

All help and advise is welcome.

Thank you all :wave2:

It depends on when you go. I've been three times over Thanksgiving week and got burned the first time, because there is a 2-day public holiday and EVERYONE was in the parks. There was a 4-hour wait for Tower of Terror and Ride and Go Seek. Christmas is definitely in full swing by Thanksgiving week. I have loads of Christmas merchandise from my visits.

Here are a couple of English-language crowd calendars that can help you with planning.

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

http://tdr-tdl-tds.com/en/crowd_calendar/

Plans to visit the resort in the Spring have fallen through. Now thinking about visiting during the 2014 Holidays.

How crowded are the parks during the month of December? Is there a week when they are not as busy as say the week of Xmas or NYE?

Maybe the week after Thanksgiving in the USA, or the month of November if the Xmas decorations are up by then? Is it crazy expensive? Do the Japanese go on Winter Break too? Will inclement weather like last year's snow shut down the parks?

All help and advise is welcome.

Thank you all :wave2:

I actually wrote up an article talking exactly about this! The crowd calendar that was linked earlier is a great resource.

You want to avoid any weekends as they will be incredibly busy. Also public holidays will be insane. For November and December the holidays are Labour Thanksgiving Day and the Emperors Birthday. If the weather is bad such as cold, windy, and rainy, the parks won't be very busy. But for good reason, the humidity and cold wind make it very unpleasant. So if you're willing to tough it out you can enjoy some lower wait times.

Be aware that December 26th they will have taken down most of the Christmas decoration. If Christmas falls on a weekday it won't be very busy since it is just another day here.

The winter break starts just before New Years, so the parks will be crowded during that time.

As for how much everything is, since it's Disney just expect everything to be a little more expensive. A typical counter service meal will run you about $10-$12.

Hope this helps!

AWESOME. Thanks, y'all! :goodvibes

Are any attractions typically closed for refurbishments during the slow November/ December, low-crowd days ? I'd hate for Storm Rider, 20,000 Leagues, Tower of Terror, Aquatopia, Indy or Journey to the Center of the Earth to be closed then. Those are the rides I REALLY don't want to miss.

If you have a look at the official website you will see the Christmas event starts 7 November. I was there 18 November last year and the decorations were all out :) just keep an eye on the attractions refurb schedule as, when I first booked six months out there was nothing major planned, but by the two to three month mark they listed Sindbad was closing the day before I was due to arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter