Visiting the Grand Californian

lwanthony

Music Man
My wife and I are heading out on a cruise on the 5th of December. We have a couple days in the LA area ahead of our trip and we are thinking about heading over for a little Disney and spending a little time having a drink and soaking in the lobby of the Grand Californian.

We have stayed as guests many times but have never gone over just to visit the hotel, so we are not sure where to park, or if with Covid this is even something we should be thinking of doing. Anyone have any thoughts?

-Lane

I think it would be fun! It's so beautiful at Christmas time, and the atmosphere would make it a great pre-cruise experience to get you started. There may be carolers, you can enjoy the fireplace and fun drinks, stroll DTD, etc. I also like the balcony above that has some seating and a good view.

I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Depending on how long you what to stay it might be easier and less stressful to just park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure. There is separate parking for DTD but it is complicated and expensive.

You would need to park in the garage or DTD parking then walk in through the DTD entrance to the GCH. Only registered GCH guests and GCH Restaurant reservation holders are permitted to drive up to the hotel and/or enter the front doors off the street.

When we visit Hearthstone, we usually park in Simba lot. It's $10 for the first hour and with validation from a store in DTD ($20 purchase), you can park for 4 hours. We walk in through DTD but when we leave, we just go out the front of GCH.

You would need to park in the garage or DTD parking then walk in through the DTD entrance to the GCH. Only registered GCH guests and GCH Restaurant reservation holders are permitted to drive up to the hotel and/or enter the front doors off the street.

Is this because of covid? I was hoping to maybe get dropped there and go through to DTD to hit rope drop security from that side in the mornings...

Is this because of covid? I was hoping to maybe get dropped there and go through to DTD to hit rope drop security from that side in the mornings...

Nope. Been in place since they enveloped DTD into the security bubble. Since there are only 2 security screening stations in the breezeway from the GCH to DTD and GCH to DCA it prevents non GCH guests from doing exactly what you propose and using the lobby as a shortcut into the parks backing up those 2 security lines for actual GCH guests.

Nope. Been in place since they enveloped DTD into the security bubble. Since there are only 2 security screening stations in the breezeway from the GCH to DTD and GCH to DCA it prevents non GCH guests from doing exactly what you propose and using the lobby as a shortcut into the parks backing up those 2 security lines for actual GCH guests.
Oh the security is right at the hotel? Wow I haven't been in awhile! I thought the only security was right at the esplanade?

If you stay off property on that side of the park... and enter through DTD - where is the security? Like if you just walk in from that side, similar to how you walk in from harbor - where is the security entrance point?

Thanks!
Kim

Oh the security is right at the hotel? Wow I haven't been in awhile! I thought the only security was right at the esplanade?

If you stay off property on that side of the park... and enter through DTD - where is the security? Like if you just walk in from that side, similar to how you walk in from harbor - where is the security entrance point?

Thanks!
Kim

Similar question... I knew you can't go through GCH to DCA at rope drop unless a hotel guest.. but we have a lunch reservation at Craftsman Bar one afternoon - will we be able to use that entrance in and out to our reservation? Thanks!

Similar question... I knew you can't go through GCH to DCA at rope drop unless a hotel guest.. but we have a lunch reservation at Craftsman Bar one afternoon - will we be able to use that entrance in and out to our reservation? Thanks!

Yes, you can go in at out of that GCH entrance for lunch. The security entrance from the other side (pp question) is just on the other side of the DL hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter