Visiting Wdw On 9/11/02 - Events

CWIPPERMAN

<font color=FF99FF>You don't have to be clever and
NOTE: I have done an extesive search using the Forum's "search" feature and couldn't find a specific topic dedicated to events planned for 9/11/02. Since I will be there then, and wanted to plan ahead, I decided to call WDW and ask what's going on. I figured I'd post my finding on the board. I'm not sure if this is the forum, but maybe one of the moderators could move this to the appropriate forum, and even make this topic "sticky", because I'm sure a lot of other folks are interested in what's going on!

------------------------------------------

After talking to the WDW CM on the phone this is what we learned:

As of today's date (7/26/02) there are NO events scheduled to commemerate the events of 9/11/02.

The CM stated that events schedules are usually released a month or so before the date, and he recommended that we check the DISNEY website in about a week. He stated that any events should be announced on the site.

-----------------------------------------

This was all of the information he was able to provide us. Does anyone have any more information about any special events on 9/11/02?

As "visitors" to the park on that date, sould we as a whole decide to commemorate this event in our own way? What if everyone decided to bring a rose or something for an "impromptu" memorial?

What do you think?

We are planning to attend the flag retreat at MK that day. We saw it on 9/16, and it was very moving. Seeing the flad go from half-mast, up to full, and then taken down, then taps played by a trumpet quartet. We are also planning on wearing our patriotic mickey pins and patriotic attire. I hope WDW is planning something special in honor of the event and those lost.

We will be in at the MK on Sept 11th. As a Canadian it will be interesting to see the mood on that day. It will be our honeymoon and my DF FIRST TIME EVER on Disney property. I don't want him to be sad. I want us to be able to enjoy the day and our honeymoon. I hope that what ever they plan is patriotic, special but low key.

I hope Disney will do something. Anything. If they want low key, like flag in half mast, that will be very appropriate. While I understand guests should not be forced to be reminded of the tragedy while in WDW, it is a fact that all of us will have 9-11 in our mind. Afterall it's only the first anniversary. To pretend nothing has happened will not be good, right?

How about wearing your American Flag Mickey pin that day?

We were at WDW last on 9/11 and had no idea what was going on until the parks were evacuated. Disney did such a great job in keeping everyone calm, they should be able to do a great job in doing something honorable. We are going again this year (Sept 8-14) and will try to remember the day in our own way. My mom is a little fearful of us flying that week, we just try to stay positive.

We are arriving on 9/11 and we plan on making the American pavillion at Epcot our first stop to see the flag that was recovered from the WTC. We originally planned to go that evening late after my husband got off work and just check in the hotel and start our vacation the next day, but since I found out the flag was there we will be going up that morning.

I think it will be crowed that day and the mood will be somber around the exhibit, but I also think it's a good opportunity to go as a family and remember the victims before we get started on our vacation. I hope they do something special but low key.

My wife and I will be making our first trip down from Sept. 7-14, and we are hoping for the exact opposite. The reason we decided to go that week is that we want to escape from the "real world" on that day. We believe that the wall-to-wall coverage of the anniversary is guaranteed to be in bad taste, drenched in pathos, and lacking in perspective because we are still so involved in the aftermath of the attacks. Anything WDW does is likely to be more low-key and dignified, but we'll still want to steer clear.

Any advice on how to do so? I'm thinking that might be a good day to be at MGM.

we will also be there from sep 9-15. we have decided to go to MK that day and see the flag retreat. we will also be wearing a patriotic mickey shirt that my FH designed...

I'm sure A LOT of people will be wearing red/white/blue that day... and international visitors will be wondering if they came at the wrong holiday...

I'm sure Disney will do something to recognize the first anniversary.

I'm also arriving Sept. 11th, but later that night. Our first stop will either be the MK for the night, or Downtown Disney. I believe I'm staying for six days.

We planned the trip for this time because last year we were scheduled to leave two days after Sept. 11th. Obviously we were unable to go, I live in New York. Air traffic was down.

Personally, I hope they do SOMETHING to remember the day, but after that, I'm hoping for a happy, upbeat week. I want to escape reality, to have a normal Disney vacation. I wouldn't mind a day or two long dedication of some sort though.

Sept. 8-13th, and will probably do Epcot, then maybe hop over to the Magic Kingdom. We really havent decided, but my 2 girls will be wearing red, white, and blue that day. If Disney doesn't do anything special, just remember those people in your hearts, and hold your family a little tighter that day. Just remember to live life to it's fullest!!!!:p

After being at WDW last year during 9-11, I hope they do not decide to close anything this year, in memorial or otherwise. September has been an unlucky month for us and WDW. The only other time we went, other than 8-15, 2001 was in Sept 1999 when the parks all closed 1 AND 1/2 DAYS for hurrican floyd! Well, the day after, the only park that was open was AK after 12 noon for resort guests. We did not join the other 10k or more people in AK. It really didn't qualify to me as even a 1/2 day. It was out of their control, but it was my first trip ever to WDW and we only had 5 days. (3 of which we could actually spent in the park) We left WDW in a really bad mood. In our resort room, we wrote a catchy disney-style song called "Mickey's got your money". We sang it on the way to checkout.

We are not superstitious but if any parks close this time, I for one am going to quit going to WDW. I have lost quite a bit of money already to Disney because we bought length of stay passes and stayed on grounds both times. :mad:

By the way, I talked with a nice lady from England in the front of the resort on 9-11-01. She was told by her airline that the planes were grounded and they were going to be stranded for at least a week. Disney put her family of four up for the week and gave them all length of stay passes for free. At least, that is what she told me they were going to do.

shinji

btw, for anyone who is superstitious, we will be at WDW from Sept 8-14, 2002. :jester:

*bump* Leaving tomorrow...... anyone heard anything yet about September 11th events or additional security?

I just found this on Debs site...

September 11th
Remembrance Events in Central Florida

Magic Kingdom - An Enhanced Flag Retreat at 5:30pm in Town Square

Security and Magic Kingdom Cast Color Guard
Magic Kingdom Philharmonic
Voices of Liberty sing National Anthem
Magic Kingdom Philharmonic, Voices of Liberty, and
Guests sing "God Bless America"

A moment of silence will be observed at 12:00 noon in outdoor areas at:

o Magic Kingdom®
o Epcot®
o Disney-MGM Studios
o Disney's Animal Kingdom®
o Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
o Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
o DOWNTOWN DISNEY®
o Disney's Wide World of SportsTM

Attractions which will pause operations to support the observance of the moment of silence

Magic Kingdom Park
Walt Disney World Railroad
Main Street Vehicles
Horse-drawn Trolleys
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Jungle Cruise
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Frontierland Shooting Arcade
Cinderella's Golden Carousel
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Scary Adventure
Tomorrowland Speedway
Astro Orbiter
Tomorrowland Transit Authority
The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm
Liberty Square Riverboat
The Hall of Presidents
Tom Sawyer Island
"The Diamond Horseshoe"
"Storytime with Belle at Fairytale Garden"
"The Sword in the Stone"
Frontierland Hoedown
Casey's Corner Pianist
Dapper Dans
Atmosphere Entertainment

Epcot

Test Track

Disney-MGM Studios

Shuttles on the Backlot Tour
Tower of Terror doors

Animal Kingdom
All attractions will pause operations with the exception of: Dinosaur, It's Tough To Be A Bug, and Kilomanjaro Safari

Religious Services

Judaism (Synagogue/Temple)
Celebration Jewish Congregation
607 Celebration Ave.
(407) 596-5397
9/11/02 -- Holding a Memorial Service from 7:00 - 7:30p.m.
Directions: Take I-4 West to exit 25A which will take
you to 192 (heading towards Kissimmee). Two traffic
lights down, make a right onto Celebration Ave. Follow
Celebration Ave into town.

Islam (Muslim Mosque)
Islamic Center of Orlando
11543 Ruby Lake Rd.
(407) 238-2700
9/11/02 -- 8:46 a.m. - Moment of Silence at the Mosque
1:15 p.m. - Mid-Day Prayer Service
Directions: Take I-4 East to Lake Buena Vista exit.
Turn left on to S.R. 535. Continue on S.R. 535 and Mosque will be on the right hand side of the road (approximately 2 miles from I-4 exit).

Catholicism
Mary, Queen of the Universe Catholic Shrine
8300 Vineland Avenue
(407) 239-6600
9/11/02 -- Services at 8:00 a.m., 12:00 noon and 6:00 p.m.
Directions: The shrine is located 2 1/2 miles northeast of Lake Buena Vista on the I-4 frontage road. Traveling south on SR 535 from Hotel Plaza
Boulevard/Crossroads, drive to second traffic signal, turn left (Vineland Avenue) and continue approximately 1 mile.

Christianity (Inter-Denominational -- Includes all Christian Denominations)
Community Presbyterian Church
635 Celebration Avenue
(407) 566-2200
9/11/02 -- 7:00 p.m. Service
Directions: Take I-4 West to exit 25A which will take you to 192 (heading towards Kissimmee). Two traffic lights down, make a right turn onto Celebration Avenue. Follow Celebration Avenue into town and the church is located one quarter mile down the road on the right hand side.

Community Remembrance - Lake Eola event

The City of Orlando will host "Orlando Remembers" at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando at 6:30 p.m. on September 11. A symbolic, silent procession will take place around Lake Eola with local officials, police officers, and firefighters. Following the procession, candles will be distributed and the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra will perform the Mozart Requiem.

Everyone is encouraged to bring flowers or signs for the tribute to the Heroes. Following the solemn procession, candles will be distributed and the
Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra will perform the Mozart Requiem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter