Vistana Resort Review

jessiangel

Mouseketeer
Just got back from Vistana last night. I have to admit, I was really nervous after finding out we were in the Courts section of the resort. After staying there, I can honestly say, we found very little to complain about in the Courts section. Our unit was extremely clean and huge! We were directly across from the General Store and Cascades pool and a short walk from the super pool. The walk-in closets in both bedrooms are amazing. Wish I had that at home. There was activities every day for little ones, teens and adults. Unfortunately, we enjoyed it so much, we only used 2 days out of our 6 day park passes, so we feel we wasted money there. MK was about a 5-10 minute driving from parking lot to parking lot. We loved that. DD loved the teen night. She met some people and they hung out the whole week. She says she cannot wait to go back. The pools are great. Very clean and warm. The super pool was a bit chilly, but the Cascades pool was nice and warm. Those were the only pools we went to, as those were our favorites. They had one of the pools closed down...Courts maybe? They were rehabbing it. I highly recommend the Tropical Breeze drink at the Cascades pool. It was so good, I ended up having 2. Drinks were not too expensive. About $5-6 for mixed drinks. I know they have $2 beer night a few times a week. The karaoke was hilarious. The Cascades pool, I feel is geared more towards adults after dark and the super pool geared more towards families after dark.

I definately recommend this resort. It has great security. DD stepped on a frog and killed it one night and screamed and 2 security cars were there in seconds to make sure everything was ok. I myself was a bit embarrassed by the whole scene, but the security guys just laughed. They also put the resort on some sort of lock down on Wednesday, since there were two guys running around who shot two cops down the street at one of the resorts (can't remember which one, but it was all over the news). We had to show ID's whenever we left or came back to prove who we were. It made us feel really safe. The employees were very nice and any time I called, they specifically used our name to greet us, which was impressive. We did have an issue with the air conditioner one night. It froze up and stopped working. The engineer was there within 10 minutes working on it and got it up and working within a few hours. The hospitality lady was really upset about the air going out and ended up paging a second engineer so they could get it working faster.

Oh, and we got towel animals! They day we came, on each bed they made swans out of the pool towels. It was great. I wanted towel animals every time we stayed at Disney and never got them. It was a welcome surprise. Loved the ducks too. We had a bottom unit and they would come up to the patio every morning looking for food. One morning I left bread on the patio and when we came back from the park in the afternoon, there were 4 ducks on the patio eating the bread after ripping open the package. Little theives! :rotfl:

Our only real complaint was the people who checked in above us on Thursday. Their son (about 6-7), would run through the unit until about 2 a.m. and it sounded like the ceiling was caving in. Then he would get bored and start jumping off the bed with a loud bang. We didn't complain, as we were leaving early morning Saturday, but I did feel sorry for the next guests in our unit if they had to hear that all week. So all in all, we had a great time and are thinking of buying resale in Vistana. Only our next stay, I think we will do without the parks and just enjoy the resort. So I want to thank everyone for their advice prior to our stay, and as soon as I can scan our pics in, I will post them.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find a place to stay for our first trip to WDW with our triplets. How much was it a night? Was it a 2 bedroom with full kitchen? How was it staying off WDW property/driving to the parks and such? sorry for all the quesitons..thanks!

Karen:dance3:

Hi Blessed_wth_Triplets. We actually did not pay for the resort, but exchanged it through RCI. It took about 5-10 min. to get to the parks. We would take a right out of the resort and at the first light and just drive down a bit and you were at the parks. It was very convenient, and when we went, traffic wasn't bad at all. We never hit traffic jams down 535 or 536. It was a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen. The kitchen was stocked except for a pizza pan. They even gave us enough packets of coffee to last through most of the week. Also very convenient to the SuperWalmart and Walgreens. There's also an outlet mall right down the street. HTH.

Hi Jessie,
Thanks for reporting back. Do u happen to have any pics of the Courts villa ? Lots of people would be interested as so many have reservations about the olders sections.

I definately recommend this resort. It has great security. DD stepped on a frog and killed it one night and screamed and 2 security cars were there in seconds to make sure everything was ok.
There was a somewhat recent thread about Vistana where this one poster said she felt it wasn't safe at all and found fault with security. I always knew and felt security was top-notch there. I wonder how she would respond to this. I just didn't feel she was being fair or realistic. I honestly don't think we'd be going back year after year for the last 12 years if it was unsafe. Of course every resort has it's faults. Vistana's is some of their units are not as spiffy as others, and of course the annoying sales people. But I give credit where credit is due....the security has always been good.
Thanks again for the report. :thumbsup2 Glad u had a nice trip and you can always use those unused days on your MYW pass for the next trip (unless you got the expiry ones !)

I'd love to see picture of your room too if you have them, just in case we get an older unit next year. Frankly, I don't care what we get as it will be a HUGE room for my family of 5! And it has a full kitchen. Who cares what the decor looks like? I do admit I love the new stuff they're doing, but I'm not going to NOT go because my room is still stuck in the 90's! LOL! I'm happy to hear your report!

I am considering booking this resort. Would love to see some pictures in advance.

It's always so good to read about Vistana. makes me want to go back. On our "several year" plan we intend to buy at Vistana. We were going to do DVC but decided on Vistana. Way better price and our time won't ever expire.

We have found the same with security and the friendliness of the staff. We stayed at Liki Tiki this last trip (should have spent the extra $600 and stayed at Vistana for rack rate!!) and the difference in staff was astounding to us. The security gaurds acted like you were annoying them when they had to wave you through. So different from the Vistana staff who act like they are happy to see you and always give a friendly wave.

Maria,

Thanks for the great pictures. We will be returing to vistana in august thru rci exchange. Last time we rented thru a promotion and stayed in cascades. I will be hoping for the same again. We will probably arrive at the property very early in the am and I am hoping to put a request in. We are first staying at the hard rock. We just want to check in early to request cascades, we can wait all day to get our room in we have.

Sue

Hi Sue,
Wishing u a nice stay this August and hope u get the Cascades. We're checking out of Vistana on Aug 4.

And keep in mind that you are welcome to use the pools etc while you are waiting for your room. We had a nice picnic/pool day when we switched resorts. Have fun and good luck on your choice. Maria--you have a great trip too!!

We are staying there next month -- which building do you think would be best for us to stay in (closest to pools, food etc...) -- we have a child in a wheelchair. I would just call them to request it if possible. Thanks, love the pics!

We are staying there next month -- which building do you think would be best for us to stay in (closest to pools, food etc...) -- we have a child in a wheelchair. I would just call them to request it if possible.

Does Vistana know your child will be in a wheelchair ? Make sure you let them know, because if not, most sections/buildings do not have elevators. The Lakes is a great section because most of the buildings, if not all, are pretty close to the pool. This is a section with elevators.

The newest Cascades section, also has elevators, but it's a much larger section and more spread out. Only some buildings are close to the pool. Both the Lakes and Cascades pool have food nearby.

We were just at the Vistana June 24-July1.:goodvibes We did the diamond lane checking before we left, which worked out fabulous because there was no line when we got there! We did get the Cascades 2 bedroom, which I requested. I was a bit concerned at first because we were in the far back of the section, next to the highway side (CiCi's pizza and a mini golf course -with a volcano that sounded off every so often.) However, once inside the room, we could hear nothing. The place was wonderful, clean and very spacious! We could've walked to the pool, but we opted to drive instead...we always found a parking spot at each of the pools..we tried them all! The Cascades was, by far , the best, lots for the kids..(waterfalls, squirt area..). Also, however it was the most crowded. I actually liked the Fountains pool area (I think that was the one). We were there on Karaoke night and all you can eat barbecue night. It was a much more quieter feel, with many older families and kids. When we checked out on the 1st, we did Saratoga Springs-1 bdr-for the next four nights. You don't realize how much space you lose going from a 2bdr to a 1bdr :confused3...(The SSR was beautiful, also, and our balcony overlooked Downtown Disney-which was especially nice for the DD 4th of July fireworks!!!! ) The driving distance from both places to the parks seemed to be equal,-SSR is kinda out of the way, I thought. Even though SSR is in Disney,-it wasn't very convenient to any of the parks. I would definitely choose the Vistana again. The 2bdr at SSR is probably comparable in size to the Cascades, but I'm sure it's ALOT more $$$$$. JMHO. Enjoy your trip!:)

The driving distance from both places to the parks seemed to be equal,-SSR is kinda out of the way, I thought. Even though SSR is in Disney,-it wasn't very convenient to any of the parks.
SSR is probably only a little closer. You might have been happier in a 2 bedroom at SSR and that may have slanted you a little bit more towards Vistana. Glad u got the Cascades. I know exactly which building you were in. That one is close to the road (SR 535).

What's nice about SSR, is you are on wdw property and get the advantages of onsite perks like transportation, Extra Magic Hours, package delivery etc. Being able to walk or boat to DD from SSR is nice as well.

Not sure if being in the Cascades made you prefer Vistana over SSR ? I know alot of people's opinions are formed by which section they are placed in Vistana. Had you gotten one of the older sections, you might have been more akin to SSR ?

Glad the DL worked for you and glad u enjoyed the resort !

You might have been happier in a 2 bedroom at SSR and that may have slanted you a little bit more towards Vistana. What's nice about SSR, is you are on wdw property and get the advantages of onsite perks like transportation, Extra Magic Hours, package delivery etc. Being able to walk or boat to DD from SSR is nice as well.

Actually, you are probably right. :thumbsup2 We did walk to DD disney one afternoon, and had some items shipped to our room. Also, the free parking was great and we took advatange of EMH one morning at Blizzard Beach... I think the space of the 1 bdr compared to the 2 bdr is what made the difference. ( We bought points from a dis member on these boards and got a VERY good deal for the SSR.) I think if the roles were reversed and we did SSR first, I would have been dissapointed about losing all of the Disney perks. And between you and I -and the rest of the boards-it IS a different feeling when you actually stay inside Disney. We were only supposed to go to the Vistana for the week, but I convinced my DH that it's just not a Disney vacation unless we do at least one night in a Disney hotel. (we did 4 :yay: )
We had previously stayed at CR, WL, GF, and OKW. I think the SSR-compared to those locations(maybe not OKW)-is out of the way. Also the 1 bdr at OKW seemed a bit bigger, too. All in all, we had a fabulous time and I would do it all again in a heartbeat!!!!:love:

Also the 1 bdr at OKW seemed a bit bigger, too.
Oh it is disneysnob ! It's more than a bit bigger ;) :thumbsup2
We own at OKW. I've never stayed at SSR, but we did do an hour private tour there. Very nice resort, but we immediately noticed the size difference in the 1 bedrooms at the two resorts.

Well, I'm getting a bit off topic from Vistana. But since we're talking size, the Cascades 2 bedrooms are a bit smaller than the older sections 2 bedrooms. I toured the Cascades, and the smaller size is most notable in the living/dining room area. It's more narrow. But most people are "ok" with it and prefer the newness of it, to the larger size older units.

Thanks again for the report. And I know what you mean about staying onsite. We're splitting our trip this July between Vistana and the Wilderness Lodge. I just have to have some days onsite ! :thumbsup2

My husband, three kids and I just returned from the vistana resort (fountains section) and we found it disappointing. We plan on never returning or recommending it to others. The room was dirty (including bugs), the staff was rude, and the view of the highway was not ideal. After almost a year of planning our disney trip, we couldn't wait to leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter