Vistana Village/HIFS/Hotelkingdom

baileybrad

and Casey, too!
I listed 3 items in my subject because I have multiple questions and several areas of information that I am researching. We are Disney Vacation Club members who haven't any points left for the near term. We are trying to work in a 3rd trip on our APs in late January '02.

I made reservations at HIFS for 7 nights using the $139 a night with 3 nights free. I received the 7th night for $110 a night with a government rate. I received a "Kidsuite". The total with tax looks to be about $585.00.

We will be trying to get an AP rate at DXL (PO Riverside) when and if any become available. I have not stayed there in a couple years but the last time I got an AP rate of about $89 before tax. So with tax around $691.00 that is if the rate hasn't risen or unless one can't be had. Obviously, this is for 4 wall hotel room on property vs. a "Kidsuite" or 1 bedroom condo off-site. We will be driving down and be entitled to "complimentary" parking at the parks with our AP.

I am curious about a rate that I saw for Vistana Village for around $100 a night for a 1 bedroom on the hotelkingdom website. If there are not any other fees other than tax that would make VV about $777 for the week. I have a general idea where this resort is and it doesn't appear that the commute would be that bad. We have stayed up in Kissimmee at what was formerly Hampton Vacation Resort a couple times in the past and the commute from VV appears to be better than that one was.

I know that the HIFS includes the "free" breakfast and is "kid" friendly. My fear is that the size of the place may make it a bit of a rat race. Our little ones are 4 and 18 month so the theming of the rooms would not be huge, in my opinion. The size of the units worries me some, also.

I would think that the VV would be a more relaxing atomsphere. Hopefully, with our family's size a 1 bdrm would be fine. The washer and dryer are great perks. It is hard to stay off-site when you are used to staying on-site. But we have done it in the past and managed....although we would miss the convenience of the quality transportation found throughout WDW.

My questions are:

1st) A very general one, anybody got any input as to positives and negatives of one scenerio over the other. We are not rich but with driving down and having our park admissions already "paid for" money is not the big driver in our decision. I do have a problem with paying more than a $100 a night for a room, I suppose that I am just cheap.

2nd) Is the Vistana Village a secure property, in other words, is it gated with entry by card key only? Do the units have safes? Are there any additional fees involved other than room tax, around 11%? How many units are completed and can you see any of the construction? How are the grounds?

3rd) Just what is the atomsphere like at the HIFS? With it being off-season and cooler, we will be spending more time at the "resort" and just don't want to feel that the place is crawling with people. I suppose what I am asking is, Disney, even with the size of say PO Riverside is able to surround you with landscaping, etc. in such a way that it doesn't seem packed.

4th) Is it basically true that if for some reason that with hotelkingdom a cancellation only "costs" you $10.90 if you have to cancel for some reason? And, for those that have used them, how did things work out?

I know this is a bit of a ramble but any comments would be greatly appreciated. It may appear that we are leaning one way over the other but we are not. I did a search on HIFS and Vistana Village on the boards and got alot of good information. But as anyone who visits these great boards knows, the more information, the better, be it good or bad.

Hi baileybrad,

I can help you with question #4. We booked V.V. through hotelkingdom.com in April for the first week December 2001. In July we found what we thought was a better deal through SWA vacations still staying at V.V. plus R/T airfare for our family. When I contacted hotelkingdom.com to canel there were no requests for reasons and I was assured it would be taken care of. However, 2 month later my credit card still was not credited the amount of my deposit less the $10.90. They did rectify the situation within 3 days of my follow-up asking what the status of my cancellation was. So all in all I would recommend the service and would probably try them again next time. They surely do seem to have the best rates around.

roxanne

I am aware of the hotelkingdom website that has discounted prices for rooms. Does anyone know of any others that offer rooms in the Orlando area. I am interested in Vistana and Vistana Village but would love to get a offer to stay there from Starwood that offers a reduced rate. I suppose that you just have to be lucky to "receive" an offer through the mail.

You can try www.quikbook.com I got a 2 bedroom at the Residence Inn LBV North for $105 at night in January. The RI also has 1 bedroom and kidsuites that I think were going for around $89 a night. They offer free breakfast and also have a managers snack hour in the evenings.

goldenbear,

If I am not mistaken, on the hotelkingdom.com webpage there is an option to recieve a $100.00 rebate if you take a time-share tour at these resorts. If not, then you could try calling the resorts directly and telling them you are interested in taking the sales tour and how much would the rates be then. Worth a phone call.

roxanne

I am currently evaluating HIFS vs, Vistana for a visit 12/21/ to 12/29, with 4 kids ages 7. We did 8 nights at HIFS last Christmas for our once in a lifetime trip and now are planning to do it again. HIFS was alot of fun, no crowded or over whelming atmosphere, but I think with only 2 children you have plenty of options - the kid suite is bunks, so a 4 and 1.5 year old may not be ideal for bunks, they have other suites which may fit a crib and another single bed, like a resodential suite. The breakfast, bingo, pools, hot tubs and free (buy one get one) lunches and dinners were excellent deals. Every one we met was friendly and nice to chat with. The biggest plus to HIFS - our kids loved it.

Vistana looks very good, same general location which I find a major perk since both are very accessible to parks, shopping, church. Vistana looks like $79. on hotelkingdom, and the 2 bedroom goes $105. and sounds big. Laundry is a big plus. Good luck,

John H

I had resv. at Vistana Villages for 3 nights. Made them with the vistana resvervations department. The rate for a 2 bedroom was 159.00 per night, not including 11% tax. They did not require a timeshare tour OR a deposit .My credit card was only used for a guarantee. I cancelled this with no questions or problems.

I am going to spend 10 nights there, 11-2 to 11-12. ( I got a great deal trading our time shares) I'll make sure I do a detailed report about the resort when I return. I have driven by it and it looks very nice, we'll see if it meets my stringent standards! : )

Melynny,

You are so lucky you only have one week from this Friday. We are leaving 5 weeks from this Saturday for our 7 night stay at Vistana Villages. I can't wait to hear what your impression of this resort is. Please let us know is there is a preferable building and/or floor. We will also be staying in a 2 bedroom. Have a wonderful trip!!

roxanne

Well, I am usually an onsite only person.. so we will see how it is... We just got back 9-9 from a 10 day trip and we stayed at OKW and FW cabin. I got my credit card bill and I had to find a way to save some money since this trip was supposed to be a quick, cheap one.. just DH and me... I had on site resv. at AKL and PORiverside that totaled over 1000.00! Trading our extra branson timeshare weeks for Vistana Villages was the prefect way to do it.

I'll be sure to post here all of my observations.. I know I will be super critical, of our resort and Disney in general! I would guess it will be on the trip report board... feel free to email me for more info...

hi, we booked vv through hotel kingdom last summer 2 bed. for 119.00 a night! We loved it! it is a very nice place, the kids thought it was the nicest place we ever stayed at! Beautiful rooms, pool, the location was great, only took us 10- 15 min. tops to get to any of the parks we felt like we were living rich! the property is gated, and we didn't see any contruction going on near us. No hidden fees, I have used hotelkingdom in the past and have gotten very good service from them:D also ,it seems to be in a better area, and you don't run into bad roads or constuction on the roads I don't think you would be dissappointed in Vistana Village, goofy4mickey

The Vistana Villages are beautiful. I just got back yesterday and would recommend the resort without hesitation. It is a gated community with a manned guard booth at all times. There are safes in the units. We had a two bedroom for four of us and my husband will never get a regular hotel room again. We did not see or hear any construction either on the resort or the nearby roads. The pool is lovely, people friendly and NO pressure for timeshare presentation. My only disappointment was they did not have lifevests for the kids. If you wanted one you had to purchase one for $40. I made due with water wings for $4.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

ljsmom,

Welcome back - hope you had a wonderful trip. We will be at Vistana Villages the week of Dec 1 - 8 and I have a few questions.

- Do they have hair dryers in both bathrooms and how are they?

- Did you have daily maid service? If yes, did the maid service do the dishes?

- Was there anything not in the unit that you would have expected and would recommend I bring?

- Did they have/offer daily newspaper delivery?

- Can you recommend any nearby restaurants?

- We are arriving around 11:00am and know that check-in isn't until 4:00. Do you know if they will store luggage while we tour parks/shop?

- Did they buildings have elevators? Would you recommend a certain location/building #/floor?

- Would you put average driving time at 10-15 minute range or 20-30 minute range to the Disney parks?

- Are the beds comfortable?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

roxanne

Thanks jtryan, we had a great time. To think we were so close to cancelling...

Anyhow, I will try to answer as many of your questions as possible.

There are hairdryers in both bathrooms. I packed my own and never took it out of the suitcase.

We did not have daily maid service because I rented from an owner. It is most likely different if you reseve directly through VV or HotelKingdom. The one time during the week housekeeping did come in they changed the sheets, left new towels, and ran the dishwasher.

If you plan to cook at all try and bring things like salt and pepper, spices (in a small plastic bag), sugar ect. We did not and wound up going to a supermarket where it is nearly impossible to buy in small quantities. I purchased some ziploc bags and was able to bring much of it home. Also, you might want to bring a small thing of detergent/bounce.

We did not receive a newspaper at all, and I'm not sure if it was available. There is a very small convenience store that might have carried the paper.

The only off site restaurant we ate at was a Denny's very close by. It was breakfast and was ok.

Not sure if they offer early check in.

The buildings do have elevators, and I would suggest asking for a room that is not too close to it. At night you can hear people waiting at the elevators talking ect. We were on the first floor and our kids were in the front bedroom so I was sensitive to it. If you have small children you might want to bring a night light for them. We were in building #4 and I thought it was great. I would ask for a building on the pool side- one through four (if you don't get it you just have to cross a bridge to get to the pool, convenience store, ect.).

THe average driving time is no more than 15 minutes. It is not bad at all, and it is a direct route.

The beds were comfortable.

If you think of anything else, let me know. You will have a great time!

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter