Visual Disabilities

DisneyEJT

Earning My Ears
I have a question about guests with 2 kids that have low vision. They need to be seated near the front for shows to see everything, but don't need any other accommodations. How does that work with the new system? Do they still go to guest services? Thank you!

I have a question about guests with 2 kids that have low vision. They need to be seated near the front for shows to see everything, but don't need any other accommodations. How does that work with the new system? Do they still go to guest services? Thank you!

No. Those sorts of accommodations are now handled at each attraction. (They do not need to go to Guest Services.) They should approach the "greeter" at each attraction and tell that cast member what their needs are. The cast member will give them directions from there.

I don't know how the new system would actually work for blind, since I have not tried it yet, I will next month. If what you are saying is only front row than you do not need a DAC. And forgive me but I find a lot of people over the years say low vision/blind don't need a GAC or now DAC and that is not true, so I want to clarify that since your children are so young you may not have thought of, for me it is an individual ride experience that may need a DAC card. But I am an adult. But so others looking on the board for answers may get the information also. I tried to read the new DAC card info, 111 pages for a blind person makes it hard and I never really found info for blind.

So past experience, when you have a cane and walk into a CM and tell them you need front row seating they would say sit in w/c section in the back or they would guide me there. Over the years it has been a little better but it could be I used the GAC with a stamp front row seating, but that stamp was only good at shows IMHO, for rides it was still never giving to me, I was almost always put in the back of rides like the great movie ride, roller coasters, back lot. People are going to ask me what is the difference, unobstructive view and able to hear the driver better from the front seat. Even if I asked for a cast member to give me front row it was a very objective thing, the person I first meet may, but the person they hand me off to may not. And that was my experience just 10 months ago.

You state you do not need any other service, but for blind/low vision there are services a DAC can provide other than front row. Most but not all visually impaired could benefit from besides asking for front row seating. And it may depend on your travel needs, cane, guide dog, human guide.

My sight, I can tell you who looks ridiculous walking in high heels at the park, and how cute those sandals are, I can not tell you what anything looks like above knee level, so I can not tell you what a face, eye color or anything looks like, and that is on a good day. I can not see in sun light and it takes my eyes time to adjust. Due to this I have dark sun glasses and usually walk around outside with my eyes closed. I can see almost perfect in complete darkness, and laser shows look like kelidoscopes.

So if I have a cane it is extremely difficult for me to use queue lines that turn and turn and turn, especially if they are turning with chains because my cane can not feel the turns.

If I am using a guide dog it is difficult for my dogs to be told right, left, right, left so fast. Her job is to stop me before I hit an obstacles, but they are so close together and there are already so many other distractions that is is almost impossible.

A human guide is difficult one for me and I go by who is traveling with me, and it maybe my family who all have different disabilities, but I think this would be the same for others. My dd1 has cp, she is fine and can go thru lines,, but she is off balance for me and causes a problem, dd2 has something call it ADHD, aspergers, bipolar, I don't know but her attention span is like 2 seconds most of the time, and she will leave me behind and have 40 people go around me and we can never catch up. Grand dd is only 8 I don't want to take the excitement away from her. In the past, and not that many years ago, Disney use to tell me that's what my family is for and would refuse me a GAC card, but things have changed, my DD's don't need one but I do.

It is also not a great thing to skip queues, most people think that is what "we" want, no it is not. There are many lines that I never skip because of the tactile information I get IJ and RR at DL are the biggest. Never use an alternative to those lines if you want tactile information they are the best.

Then there are lines that work better for each low vision, I do not have any problem with HM but most people do, especially in MK, I have been to both.

So do you need a DAC, or just tell the CM? I think you need to think larger on your child's needs.

1) mobility device, human, cane or nothing. I assume no dog at that age.
2) light and dark, time to adjust
3) ability to continue to change direction and maintain awareness of where you are. (I took a compass into a line and counted once how many times I changed direction 137 times, for a sighted person no problem, for a LV major headaches and massive problems)
4)does it make a difference where you sit on the ride

Lastly be prepared to fight the opposite of what the norm is, or what someone told the CM the norm is. I literally fight the CM on IJ and RR every time, they tell me the dog can not go thru the line. I tell them we will switch off at ride but the dog stays with me. They insist I have to use the w/c enterance. I then tell them that these are the best two rides Disney has ever made for the blind the tactile info is so great, please don't let me miss the experience. They laugh that I am the only one to fight to go thru an hour wait line when I could walk on now by using the exit.

I hope that helps blind/LV, I will write after my trip next month. I feel they may have missed the needs of blind with this system, but we will see. :rotfl2:

Please do update us when you get back! This is one of the main things about the system change I'm interested in.

I'm also visually impaired but not blind, need to sit in the front to see shows properly, and have had occasions in the past where the GAC with the vision stamp was the absolute only thing that convinced CM's to let me sit where I needed to.

So, naturally, I'm a bit nervous that "relying on the kindness of strangers," as the saying goes, has become the official policy, and I'm anxious to hear as many stories as I can of how it works out for different guests.

I'm worried too. I am visually impaired and have a muscle wasting disease (myasthenia gravis) and a pacemaker, in the UK theme parks I get a wristband and can get a return time to rides, when I went to WDW 2 years ago I got an alternate entrance stamp and a front row stamp too. The card was really good but the system of going back to rides is good for me too. In the UK you need to provide proof of your disability for the concessions but I can't produce this in Disney so what do i do? Stand in a crowded room of strangers and try to explain 3 conditions only to be told that I can use a wheelchair?

Hopefully it won't come to this. Maybe I'll write the cast member a letter but will they read it or understand it?

count me in, too, as somene who is interested to hear how it goes. as gilemt stated, the constant direction changing in the queues can be a major problem.
I have heard rumors that they are not giving out the DAS for visual impairment. we have no problem communicating with the CM at shows (in order to sit in the front).
but the manuevering of the queues is a problem (some that come to mind are the Great Movie Ride, Nemo, Splash mt., many more.) we have no objection to waiting for our turn the same amount of time as the standby line. we don't want to "cut in line" . we just want to use an alternative entrance when we do board the ride.

My wife is legally blind and we went in November, soon after the switch to the DAS Card.

They no longer give any sort of card for visual disabilities. When you arrive at the show, tell a CM what your need is and they will help you.

Actually, that won't always be true. The first few CMs you talk with may ask if you have a DAS card. You'll then need to explain their policy to them, then they'll send you down the line to another CM where you will have the same conversation. Eventually, someone will let you sit where you need to. Just go into every conversation with a happy attitude and things will work out.

The great thing about Disney is they default to making the customer happy when presented with reasonable requests.

The only two issues we had were with the Disney Junior show and the handicapped area for parade viewing. For Disney Junior we got there after the doors were open and the CM was a bit rude telling us we'd just have to wait for the next show. For the parade, one CM didn't understand that there were people with disabilities who didn't have wheelchairs and kept telling us to move. After a few times, a supervisor heard and explained that the handicapped reserved area was for all handicaps, not just wheelchairs.

thanks for the update Objectivity.

To the others, please do report back as I'm also one who's very curious as my son also has low vision.

I am just wondering, if you told them at the line for DAS about anything but blindness. Just like telling a CM you have autism, or have a heart condition, that means nothing. Things I will tell the DAS CM next month when I am there is, I get disoriented with all the turns in line, I get frightened and almost panic when I am crowded and people start pushing (great movie ride), I need a few minutes once inside to adjust to the light change. If that does not work, I will tell them that I get confused and disoriented when others who are not family and are not CM try to direct me, sometimes telling me go right, when it is left and I walk into a wall, or when they say two more feet when it is 5 more feet. I also need a few more minutes to find the seat belt, or to find the seat. I know that front row seating is good but that is not all I need. I won't assume that all blind people get afraid when they are in a crowd of lines and start getting pushed, or yelled at to move forward, or to sit down, but I know I do and I believe that gives me just as much right to a DAS pass as autism or emotional disabilities. I will also tell them the truth, my dog has been trained to stop me from walking forwards into a tree limb, or from walking out into the street, but my dog has not been trained to stop me in the dark halls of some of these rides, not to hit a change that he can not see, or what direction I should go when and if he does stop me from that chain.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has told them anything other than I am blind and Disney just says ask the CM in the line. I remember when GAC came out and Disney's response to me when I asked for one for the first two years, was my family could help me. My response to them that never got me anywhere was, the autistic have family why aren't they told that, or the w/c person has family why aren't they told that. Don't get me wrong, I am not seeking front of the line passes, or extra fast passes I guess they would call them now. Actually I like going thru many lines and will do so even with a DAS, but there are some in both parks that are just to encombersome for a blind individual. The great movie ride for one, haunted mansion, although for me that one is fine but most blind have trouble with it. Jungle cruise to me is very difficult, it goes up and down and up and down and up, I can't change direction that many times, my dog can not seem to see the chain, it must be at the wrong height for her. Then there are a few with stairs, splash mountain is DL and I think MK both have stairs, my dog can not do them with that many people, she won't allow me to go up them.

Which leads me to one more thing, I asked in another thread and no one said anything yet, are there kennels for all rides yet, if Disney wants me to do lines without my dog, and only my cane then they need to make lines not just w/c accessible but white cane accessible, meaning that no more just chains or sticks to tell the line where to go, but RF beepers on my cane that tell me not to go further and to turn and what way to turn. My dog can not see chains, but my cane can not feel them either because they are waist high, and it think Disney would get mad at me, if I started to swing my cane around waist high in lines just so I could feel where the chains are, if there is no kennels for my dog at the end of the lines and I need to leave him outside the ride with another person.

Just some thoughts, and I am laughing inside swinging the cane, maybe that would wake up Disney to our actual needs if we tried it.

Gilesmt: I haven't seen anything specific, but here is what I'm thinking:

Since the DAS really only offers one accommodation, which is the ability to wait for a ride outside the mainstream queue line, what the CM need to know is why the mainstream queue is a problem and how waiting outside of that queue makes the park accessible to you.

I think that if you start your spiel off with "I cannot be in the regular queue line because...." where you state the specific reasons that you are unable to be in the regular queue (I get pushed, I have a hard time navigating the turns, my dog cannot see the chains etc) and end with "and a DAS would work for me because ....." where you list the specific reasons why being outside the line makes the park accessible to you. for instance "I will be able to sit in a safe location while waiting for my ride"

While it might seem like the same things, you're really saying "this is my need, and this is how the accommodations Disney offers work for that need.

I don't think you'll have luck if you bring up other people with other diseases who get the DAS and how you deserve one just as much as them. Forget about them. Focus on your specific need and how a DAS accommodates that need.

buffetgirl. I understand what you're saying. it seems like a lot of the complaints have been thus: you either are "on the spectrum" and get a DAS, OR you have mobility issues ie, wheelchair, ECV, and the Cm will see that and send you thru that line.

\I SO TOTALLY agree with Gilesmt!!!!! esp with the great movie ride! it is never left right left right. it always changes.
nemo too. jungle cruise. my poor hubby is tired of people stepping on his heels cause he doesn't walk fast enough,. I am leading. the lines aren't wide enough for us to walk side by side.
how can a cane distinguish all the different poles and chains? and NO! a visually impaired person has a hard enough time trying to be as "normal" as possible, without someone telling them they now have to rent a wheelchair when they have no prolem with walking or mobility... just the goofy line configuration.

if the standby wait is 1 hour, we will be more than happy to wait that hour. and then come back to an alternative entrance where he can safely walk, without bumping into things, killing his shins, etc and not having rude teens pushing into his back, and him tripping over chains that I didn't "catch" in time.
and possibly slow the ride down, if possible, like haunted mansion.
you want to talk about ANXIETY? sometimes, by the time my husband and I get ON a ride, his anxiety level is so high neither one of us enjoy the actual ride.

My own vision issues, thanks to demyelinated nerves that work better in cold weather than in hot weather, means I might have decent vision at the start of the day and impaired vision halfway through the day. I have optic neuritis in the left eye and pars planitis (which is not as bad) in the right eye so I see and feel better if I am able to sit on the left side of any show. It is frustrating to have such individual needs. At this point, I don't try to get help from CMs, I try to maneuver myself to where I need to be and if I fail to achieve that, then oh well that sucks. It's lousy to have to try so hard and sometimes fail.

buffetgirl. I understand what you're saying. it seems like a lot of the complaints have been thus: you either are "on the spectrum" and get a DAS, OR you have mobility issues ie, wheelchair, ECV, and the Cm will see that and send you thru that line.

\I SO TOTALLY agree with Gilesmt!!!!! esp with the great movie ride! it is never left right left right. it always changes.
nemo too. jungle cruise. my poor hubby is tired of people stepping on his heels cause he doesn't walk fast enough,. I am leading. the lines aren't wide enough for us to walk side by side.
how can a cane distinguish all the different poles and chains? and NO! a visually impaired person has a hard enough time trying to be as "normal" as possible, without someone telling them they now have to rent a wheelchair when they have no prolem with walking or mobility... just the goofy line configuration.

if the standby wait is 1 hour, we will be more than happy to wait that hour. and then come back to an alternative entrance where he can safely walk, without bumping into things, killing his shins, etc and not having rude teens pushing into his back, and him tripping over chains that I didn't "catch" in time.
and possibly slow the ride down, if possible, like haunted mansion.
you want to talk about ANXIETY? sometimes, by the time my husband and I get ON a ride, his anxiety level is so high neither one of us enjoy the actual ride.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I disagree, at all. I've just been mulling over the situation in my own head, trying to determine if my son will need a DAS or if we'll be able to manage in lines. So I've been working out for myself what his needs are, and what the DAS might be able to do for him. But I guess my point was, it's better for us all to focus on THAT aspect rather than what we're hearing about other people with other conditions. I have a feeling that we only hear from one subset of individuals, with very specific wants which Disney seems to no longer be accommodating. But for others, like those of us who have vision issues, or travel with someone with vision issues, we aren't hearing from many, because there aren't many of us. (does that make sense???) So, I'm not disagreeing with the assessment that our needs (or our child's needs) might warrant the need for a DAS. I'm just saying we need to focus on that, not others. :)

My own vision issues, thanks to demyelinated nerves that work better in cold weather than in hot weather, means I might have decent vision at the start of the day and impaired vision halfway through the day. I have optic neuritis in the left eye and pars planitis (which is not as bad) in the right eye so I see and feel better if I am able to sit on the left side of any show. It is frustrating to have such individual needs. At this point, I don't try to get help from CMs, I try to maneuver myself to where I need to be and if I fail to achieve that, then oh well that sucks. It's lousy to have to try so hard and sometimes fail.
My son has bilateral optic atrophy and we absolutely notice a change with the weather. the ridiculous part (for us) is that out in the snow in the cold he can't see at all because his pupils are extremely slow to react, so its' always too bright outside. Once he gets inside, it's always too dark. We've simply had luck so far just using the flashlight app on our phone, but the older he gets, the more conscious he gets that he feels like he's holding up people in any line.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I disagree, at all. I've just been mulling over the situation in my own head, trying to determine if my son will need a DAS or if we'll be able to manage in lines. So I've been working out for myself what his needs are, and what the DAS might be able to do for him. But I guess my point was, it's better for us all to focus on THAT aspect rather than what we're hearing about other people with other conditions. I have a feeling that we only hear from one subset of individuals, with very specific wants which Disney seems to no longer be accommodating. But for others, like those of us who have vision issues, or travel with someone with vision issues, we aren't hearing from many, because there aren't many of us. (does that make sense???) So, I'm not disagreeing with the assessment that our needs (or our child's needs) might warrant the need for a DAS. I'm just saying we need to focus on that, not others. :)

I guess what you hear from me is total frustration, not just on Disney's part but on ADA as a whole, it is like visual impairment is non workable. Let's see, blind where the first to have service dogs, but we still after 75 years get asked to remove them from a business at least once a month, (I said asked, I did not say with knowledge I have ever been told I had to). For 60 years, guide dogs who came first where trained to work a certain way, then ADA came in, and out with guide dogs, no consideration for them because w/c's need ramps, guide dogs every where had to be retrained. I just moved from a city to a smaller city and more rural neighborhood, my guide dog once again needs to be retrained, because there are no bumps on the down slopes of curbs here so she is not stopping in time. Elevators, why the hell can they not demand they be universal, the up/down button on the right, or left, or whatever, no sometimes they are on the right, sometimes on the left and sometimes not at all.can you remember back in the 90's when it became a law for elevators to be installed, for w/c people, why did no one ask a blind person where the button should be, and now that they are not universal, why don't we have another law thats tells them to pay another million dollars to put the buttons in a universal place so a blind person is not standing there feeling the walls for hours.

Yesterday I was on the phone with Disney for an hour before I hung up in total frustration. When I made my ressies, I made these request, guide dog in room, please bottom floor parking lot few would be okay, (guide dogs are trained to go on cement), a room with a straight path to the bus and to get a drink. That was all I requested.

I found a number to special medical room request and thought I would try it out. They found ressies, no request where on the ressies. They proceeded to give me a room, she was so proud of herself, she said the room would be all visual stimulated, I said excuse me what does that mean. Oh the room will have red lights for fire alarm and the phone will blink colors when it rings. I said what good will that do me, I am blind not deaf, she said it will help a lot, I said mame I can't see so how would flashing lights help me rather than an alarm, I won't be able to see the lights. She said, well fine if you don't want what we have to offer that's fine I can't help you.

I took time to calm down and said mame I will tell you what I need. And I repeated me request. She says dogs are not allowed in the room. I said he is a guide dog for service, she said there is a kennel for the dog on property. I said, mame is this the office for medical room accommodations, she said yes. I said has anyone every told you what a guide dog is, she said no guard dogs are allowed on property not even in the kennel.

I moved on, obviously this lady was in left field and I was in right field. I asked for a boots floor room , close to a bus stop and in line with a place to get a drink. In my mind I did not want to mention a specific room or building because they say not to narrow it down to far. She in return says if you want a preferred room you needed to book it. I said no I do not want a preferred room, my DD say a preferred room is worst at CSR because the convention is between then, and also I would have to manuver between all the front building to get to the bus stop. I did not tell her this way since she seemed not to understand, so I said, I need a room that I can walk out of, get to the main path and turn left and go straight to the bus or right and straight to the drink station. She says you are never going to find that, you need to change this ressie to a preferred room.

I tried again and then she said let me call resort for you to find out. She goes and comes back 15 minutes later and says although it is almost impossible to say they will the resort says they have golf carts and will try to be available to you if you want but they suggest you get a w/c. And if you do that I can get you into a w/c room.

This is when I hung up. Disney now has rooms for w/c persons and rooms for hearing persons. Has it crossed disneys mind to set aside a room or two in each hotel that can give straight access to a bus or to a drink fountain for refills. She at one point said don't you have family, that is besides the point.

I am so frustrated with Disney and ADA as a whole, because no one ask the blind person, Disney does a great job for w/c and for spectrum disorders, why have they never thought to ask blind what they need. I offered Disney, I was the first to own a trekker, and it used it on a blind solo trip, I gave them lots of information, yet they still have not done anything for trekker. I now use google maps and can find most things within a foot or two, I have told Disney, there CM at the rides need to know about google maps and when they see a blind person alone help them by saying you made it. Sometimes I get to the ride but the queue is off a bit from google maps, if the cast member would just realize what I am doing it would be easy for them to give a verbal cue, or Disney needs to put in a radio frequency that works with google maps so I know I am there.

Okay that's my rant. Sorry I am just totally frustrated, I think we visually impaired should just say we have a spectrum disorder at least they will understand, we get disoriented, overstimulated by crowds, over heated , panicked, and frustrated. But the frustration is due to stupidity, I am not saying one disorder is better or worse, or that I wish anyone a disability. I am saying that the law does not see one differently either, ADA was to make it equal for all, but companies and Disney for one has not made it equal for blind, they have left one group behind and has over compensated for another group. Equal, means equal. I don't need a w/c room, or a hearing room. But how about a room with access to a straight path walk. Or a room with Braille on the shampoo bottles, or a room with instructions in Braille for the blind, but since most blind do not read Braille, how about a room with digital access and instructions. How about a room with tactile stimulation to tell me what side of faucet is hot, or what side of the room the chair is on. How about a room that has a dog bed for my guide dog. Or how about a raised map of the room in the lobby. Why has Disney never ask a blind person for assistance in what we need.

Sorry done with ranting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter