Visual Disability question

I have had had the GAC card = my cornea transplant has yet to take :headache:

I NEVER had any problem, the cast always was there to help, and I need to sit towards the middle, but on the far left(see out of right eye). Disney will be helpful. :grouphug:

I even got assistance getting into boats as my peripheral is not as good on that side. Never a problem, only smiles.

So, it's getting clear to me that I'm probably going to have to get an ID cane before my next trip in order for CM's to recognize that I do have special needs and take them seriously without a GAC. It seems like others have been luckier, but maybe I just have one of those faces.

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical, since I'm always the first one to tell people, "It doesn't matter if you only need a wheelchair part of the time and people see you get up out of it and walk; who cares what they think?" But the general public understands the idea of an ID cane FAR LESS than they understand the idea of part-time need for a wheelchair. I think it will be far more shocking to see someone take out a white cane before approaching an attraction and then put it away after exiting than it is to see someone get tired, get in a wheelchair for a while, and then get up and walk for a while later. I finally understand the fear of public condemnation, and I'm wondering if anyone else here has had any encouraging experiences. I don't have any trips planned for the near future; I'm just hoping to get a clearer picture of what a future trip might be like.

So, it's getting clear to me that I'm probably going to have to get an ID cane before my next trip in order for CM's to recognize that I do have special needs and take them seriously without a GAC. It seems like others have been luckier, but maybe I just have one of those faces.

I'm feeling a bit hypocritical, since I'm always the first one to tell people, "It doesn't matter if you only need a wheelchair part of the time and people see you get up out of it and walk; who cares what they think?" But the general public understands the idea of an ID cane FAR LESS than they understand the idea of part-time need for a wheelchair. I think it will be far more shocking to see someone take out a white cane before approaching an attraction and then put it away after exiting than it is to see someone get tired, get in a wheelchair for a while, and then get up and walk for a while later. I finally understand the fear of public condemnation, and I'm wondering if anyone else here has had any encouraging experiences. I don't have any trips planned for the near future; I'm just hoping to get a clearer picture of what a future trip might be like.

Our group was 2 blind and 2 sighted people. The canes weren't really used much when we were walking, because the two sighted people were guiding, plus people kept tripping over them. They basically kept them mostly vertical so they could tell if there was a step in front of them (it was my first time guiding, and while I tried to remember, sometimes I either forgot to warn them or was in the middle of talking) and to alert the CMs that we would need additional assistance. The CMs were really quick to help when needed. For example, at Toy Story Midway Mania there is a long staircase that leads to the loading platform. Instead of walking up it (if it had been just 3 or 4 steps we would have been OK) we took the elevator that's used for wheelchairs. This took us to the side loading platform, where the wheelchair accessible cart scooted off the main track for us to load onto. It was fantastic, because we could take as much time as we needed to get on and not be holding up the rest of the line.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel you need it. And if a CM asks if they can help you, by all means tell them if they can, and what specifically would be helpful. They're the experts on the attractions, but you're the expert on *YOU* :)

Our group was 2 blind and 2 sighted people. The canes weren't really used much when we were walking, because the two sighted people were guiding, plus people kept tripping over them. They basically kept them mostly vertical so they could tell if there was a step in front of them (it was my first time guiding, and while I tried to remember, sometimes I either forgot to warn them or was in the middle of talking) and to alert the CMs that we would need additional assistance. The CMs were really quick to help when needed. For example, at Toy Story Midway Mania there is a long staircase that leads to the loading platform. Instead of walking up it (if it had been just 3 or 4 steps we would have been OK) we took the elevator that's used for wheelchairs. This took us to the side loading platform, where the wheelchair accessible cart scooted off the main track for us to load onto. It was fantastic, because we could take as much time as we needed to get on and not be holding up the rest of the line.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel you need it. And if a CM asks if they can help you, by all means tell them if they can, and what specifically would be helpful. They're the experts on the attractions, but you're the expert on *YOU* :)

I am a noticing kind of person (especially in long queue), but I can't recall ever seeing an elevator at Toy Story Mania. I remember the big staircase and the split for the wheelchair accessible loading area, but where is the elevator?

I wouldn't worry about guests confronting you. If they do, call them on it - politely but loudly. My wife is legally blind, so we have a handicapped tag on the car. If anyone were to ever question why two apparently able-bodied people were parked, we'd explain - at the same level of politeness they showed us. :-)

As for the CMs, don't worry about it. They're supposed to be trained and know what to do. We went about a month after the changes last year. It was clear that no one had been trained, despite claims to the contrary. Despite that, the problems we faced were easily overcome. At Fantasmic, we were moved forward from person to person until someone knew what to do; it was the same at Finding Nemo. For FOTLK, the person at the entrance didn't want to let us in without a card, but a polite smile convinced her to let the next person handle it. That's the great thing about Disney, at any given conflict point they defer to customer satisfaction and move you along to the next person.

The only difficulty we had was handicapped seating for the parades. The CM kept telling my wife she had to move because she didn't have a wheelchair. She finally had to get a supervisor to explain to CM that not all handicaps come with wheels. After that, we were fine.

I am a noticing kind of person (especially in long queue), but I can't recall ever seeing an elevator at Toy Story Mania. I remember the big staircase and the split for the wheelchair accessible loading area, but where is the elevator?

I've only been in there once, so I'm not terribly familiar with the layout of the queue. I remember going through the FP line, and and employee stopping us and asking if we were able to climb the stairs. I asked how many there were, and she pointed down a hallway to a bunch, if it had been 3 or 4 or something it would have been OK, but D isn't very comfortable with stairs so I said the elevator would be better, and they pulled us out of the queue and down a hallway into an elevator. It let us out right at the load/unload platform for the accessible car, and then we just walked out the regular exit when we were done.

every time I had a fast pass for TSM, or was in line, it broke. I took that as an omen. I am hoping to try again come sept. THANK you for the stairs warning.
I smashed into a wall at Roger Rabbit in DL this past year, and then again at HM. I carry a flashlight at all times now.

I can tell you that at that attraction in Epcot that housed the Michael Jackson attraction that the hydraulic floor is uneven and poorly marked. Yep= flew onto the seats at that one. A supervisor came with wheelchair and brought me to first aid to make sure I was okay. (goodness was I bruised!) they offered a ride back to hotel, but I said walking it off and some coffee would help. (it did)
:goodvibes

I've only been in there once, so I'm not terribly familiar with the layout of the queue. I remember going through the FP line, and and employee stopping us and asking if we were able to climb the stairs. I asked how many there were, and she pointed down a hallway to a bunch, if it had been 3 or 4 or something it would have been OK, but D isn't very comfortable with stairs so I said the elevator would be better, and they pulled us out of the queue and down a hallway into an elevator. It let us out right at the load/unload platform for the accessible car, and then we just walked out the regular exit when we were done.

Are you talking about TSM at WDW? I know we did not take an elevator to get to the accessible cars. When we got to the split, instead of going up and then down the stairs the directed us to the right. The little hallway leads right to the load area, no elevator needed. If you use the stairs, the go up and then back down to load so there is no need for an elevator to be on the same level to load.

As for the CMs, don't worry about it. They're supposed to be trained and know what to do... Despite that, the problems we faced were easily overcome... ...a polite smile convinced her to let the next person handle it. That's the great thing about Disney, at any given conflict point they defer to customer satisfaction and move you along to the next person.

That hasn't been my experience, which is why I'm considering the ID cane in the first place.

Are you talking about TSM at WDW? I know we did not take an elevator to get to the accessible cars. When we got to the split, instead of going up and then down the stairs the directed us to the right. The little hallway leads right to the load area, no elevator needed. If you use the stairs, the go up and then back down to load so there is no need for an elevator to be on the same level to load.

Yes, it's the one at WDW. I completely forgot there's one at DL and didn't specify which one I was talking about, sorry. :)

Yes, it's the one at WDW. I completely forgot there's one at DL and didn't specify which one I was talking about, sorry. :)

Weird. Like the PPs, I don't don't remember seeing an elevator and we definitely didn't take one (though we did use the accessible cars - as a PP said, we just went to the right and bypassed the stairs). Where did you take the elevator too? The cars load on the same level as most of the line (the stairs go up and down - basically a bridge). I'm having trouble picturing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter