Volcano National Park

Old Man Goofy Runner

Earning My Ears
Starting to plan a trip for May 2024. We definitely want to spend a day at Volcano National Park, which is over on the big island. What options for getting over there exist? Does Disney do any tours that cover that? Like I said just starting our planning, but this is a must do.

We did a day trip over there during our trip in June/July. We just flew to Hilo early in the morning and rented a car and took the last evening flight back to HNL. Easy peasy to do on your own. We also did the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and hit Wilson's by the Bay in Hilo for Shave Ice.

We did a day trip over there during our trip in June/July. We just flew to Hilo early in the morning and rented a car and took the last evening flight back to HNL. Easy peasy to do on your own. We also did the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and hit Wilson's by the Bay in Hilo for Shave Ice.
Thanks, so is Hilo the better option over Kona airport?

Note that IF there is an ongoing eruption at that time, which is very hard to.predict, you won't be able to see lava glow on a day trip. Lava glow requires nightfall, which puts you outside of return flight schedule from either Kona (much longer drive anyway) or Hilo.

I don't think Aulani offers tours to the Big Island, but plenty of people do the day trip by booking their own flights.

VNP can sometimes be CLOSED during an eruption. It is hard to predict in advance.

During the last eruption, VNP was closed. After a few days of closure, a group Vulcanologist went on a special expedition to check on the facilities. All seemed well until they were leaving and somebody spotted a large rock in the parking lot that was not there when they arrived. They left as fast as possible! Rocks falling out of the sky is the reason it remained closed.

At the moment the park is open, but there are specific closed areas. Check the website for daily status.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

-Paul

We're planning a day on the big island during our spring trip. We're planning to fly Southwest to/from as it's cheaper (half the price of Hawaiian airlines) then rent a car at Hilo (roughly $75/day). A bucket list item for our daughter is to see a black sand beach. We're also planning on hitting VNP, assuming it's open. We are scheduling our return flight for late, incase we could possibly get a view from the plane. Does anyone know which side of the plane we should try to get return wise?

Aldo just wanted to say, if there is active lava, it’s still plenty cool in my opinion to watch red hot molten rock just squirting up out of the ground! I’m sure the glow would be cool too, but lava is pretty cool—well, HOT—however you see it! If you have time before your flight back from Hilo, you can also swing by Rainbow Falls—nice waterfall with super quick access on a paved path. It’s just like a little city park—quick stop for a nice view IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter