Vonage vs Local Phone Verizon

PrinceCharmingsMom

DIS Veteran
I have seend the commercials about Vonage and am looking for a way to cut costs...we currently pay over $70 a month for our landline...it does include voicemail, call waiting and caller id and unlimited long distance.

I am wondering about Vonage...does it have good sound quality...do you like it? Do you wish you hadn't switched? Let me know everyhing you know about it so I can make a good choice. TIA!

I've had vonage for the past 6-7 years & it's been great! No complaints!

We have used Vonage for about 4 years now. Since we live overseas, it is the only option for unlimited free calling. Sometimes the line does break up, but it doesn't happen often. I find the quality to be just fine. I have no complaints. Our son has Vonage in his apartment stateside and so does my mother. We all have no complaints. Your quality relies heavily on your internet connection. It can't have a lot of "noise" in the line.

I just switched to magic jack plus and I love it. You don't have to have a computer on all the time like the original magic jack. My dad had vonage and liked it but just switched to the magic jack plus because it works out cheaper. So far he likes it too.

No comment on Vonage, as we have never user it...

I will have to give :thumbsup2 to MagicJack, have used it for over 2 years with no issues. Its the cheapest way to go, $20 a year unlimited USA calling. We have several relatives living abroad and they take MagicJack with them and they use it constantly. Quality of call will be dependant on your internet connection/strength.

It was $40 for initial purchase ($20 for plug in device/$20 for first year of service).

They now have a version that is not computer dependant, havent that one.

We used to have Vonage, and was happy with the service, but when DW and I got smart phones, I bought a network extender from Verizon Wireless that let's us place cell phone calls over the Internet. I think the other carriers have similar devices. Anyway, with the Verizon one, you make a one time initiall purchase and then you never have to pay for the device again. I got a deal when I bought our's for $99. I'm not sure if Verizon still sells them or not, but they still support them. You can find them available on eBay as well.

We used to have Vonage, and we were happy with the service, but when DW and I got smart phones I bought a network extender from Verizon Wireless.

The Network Extender let's us place cell phone calls over the Internet. We have an older one that only works for voice. I think I paid $99 for ours. The newer ones also work for data, but they are $249. You can still find the older ones for sale on ebay. Once you buy the device, you no longer have to pay anything else for it.

I think the other carriers have similar devices, but I think some of them are subscription services.

The extender works great for us because we never use all of our cell minutes.

Been using Vonage for about four years. No problems. It's been especially convenient when moving homes. Was able to keep my number and did not have to rely on the phone company for "installation".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter