Vons/Safeway grocery delivery -ordering from Canada?

waltdisneymama

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I know that there was a recent thread that mentioned this, but I can't find it now (sorry!) I was planning to order groceries in the summer from Vons, using my Anaheim hotel address as the delivery address, but I read here that there is a problem using a Canadian credit card to order?? Has anyone been successful with this? When we went to WDW in 2008, I ordered groceries from home with my Canadian credit card, and there was no problem. I won't have a car at DL, so was hoping for grocery delivery. If the original poster on this topic reads this, I'm curious as to whether you tried phoning Vons to inquire about this? Thanks for any information!!

Hello,
I know that there was a recent thread that mentioned this, but I can't find it now (sorry!) I was planning to order groceries in the summer from Vons, using my Anaheim hotel address as the delivery address, but I read here that there is a problem using a Canadian credit card to order?? Has anyone been successful with this? When we went to WDW in 2008, I ordered groceries from home with my Canadian credit card, and there was no problem. I won't have a car at DL, so was hoping for grocery delivery. If the original poster on this topic reads this, I'm curious as to whether you tried phoning Vons to inquire about this? Thanks for any information!!

I am going to DL next week and was planning on doing the same thing. I Registered with Von's using my hotel address, but apparently you have to phone your credit card company and get your address changed on there otherwise they will not accept your credit card. It must be a zipcode not a postal code. Seems like too much work for me, hoping that the CC company doesn't screw up etc. so I am just going to take a bunch of snak items from Costco in my luggage. Then once we have arrived I will take the ART to Target and get the rest. I was very excited about getting the delivery of groceries but Von's really doesn't want to deal with Canadians I guess.

We are headed out next week, and this is the 2nd time I've used their delivery service. I had this issue in Portland when my daughters cheer group went for a competition. Vons said use the hotel address for your address, and type "Guest checking in on XXXX" But yet on my way there, I got a call the morning of from Vons saying my card was declined (but I had NOTHING on it!)

SO,gave her another Visa (my Disney Visa actually) and it went through. Got ahold of the credit card I initially put down, and they said it was rejected because the fraud department noticed it was not in my home area, because the zips didn't match.

Called them last week and told them I was travelling and here's the dates. And specifically, I'm going to have a charge come through for Von's for this dollar range. The nice woman on the phone said she'll note it down. We'll see how it works this time.

I guess I'll have to post it when I get back. We have a pretty big order too....

Shawn in AK

So, then, plutorules, when do you want us over for dinner, or breakfast, or lunch? I haven't made any ADR's, so we are totally available. :goodvibes

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a few questions.

1) when do you have your groceries delivered? The day you arrive? Prior to your arrival or at time after you arrive? Does the bellman except the groceries or does Vons deliver them to your room?

2) What do you order from Vons? Looking for ideas?

Thanks

We have been successful with Vons by trying a couple of different credit cards during the online checkout process - I would say that something like a Canadian Bank card would generally not be accepted, (say, such as TD Canada Trust) whereas a different bank credit card, like one that is both in the USA and Canada, might be accepted. :) We have used the HOJO's address in the billing address portion. If the card is going to be accepted, it will be accepted online automatically, and if not, it will show that it will not work. Also, always phone your credit card companies to let them know when you will be away, a few days before you leave.

Remember, you can pick your delivery times 3 weeks earlier, so go ahead, place your order then, and pick your best delivery time slot. One week prior to your trip, or a few days before your trip when the new sales come up (check their flyer dates, etc.) you can edit your order. You can change items and add new ones, t be sure you got the best deals, but you will not be able to apply a coupon to an order once you submitted it the first time such as an online Safeway coupon for free bread with purchase of blah blah blah.

Remember to use the free delivery code for first time clients, I think it is EASY7 not sure.

Vons is perfect - same quality products as Safeway in Canada, and the brands and products will be familiar to those of you who already shop at Safeway.

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to your success with placing the order!!

Edited to add: We arrange for our groceries to arrive an hour or two after we arrive, and works great, Hojo's has always been great about helping to bring up the groceries, etc. :) The Bellman at Hojos has always accepted our order for us. You may tip the Hojo's staff, we like to do that, but Von's has a no tipping policy.

We purchase items such as bottled water, clear Capri juice paks, (better than ones with added dyes), trail mix, microwave popcorn, cheese strings, yogurt, milk, large box of captain crunch (with the berries, since you can't get that in Canada!) We buy hot chip flavors you can't buy in Canada. We buy treats such as Boston Baked Beans for only 25 cents a package, they are candy coated peanuts and are great to take along for a quick snack! We buy crackers with cheese inside , individually packed, small cheeto packages, small packages of individually packed cheese, cherry diet 7-up, plastic cups, bowls, spoons. We have also bought soup in the styrofoam cups (noodles) and microwavable ravioli. I sometimes bought liquid egg, small margarine, cheese slices, and english muffins to make an ''egg mcmuffin'' in the hotel microwave. Hot chocolate is good, too. Fruit, apples, oranges, bananas. Chex snack mix.

So, then, plutorules, when do you want us over for dinner, or breakfast, or lunch? I haven't made any ADR's, so we are totally available. :goodvibes

Ha ha! You made me chuckle! Being we're headed out on a cruise afterwards, my order is something like 4 cases of water, Diet cokes out the wazoo, and like 2 cases of Gatorade for the kids. We'll be at DLR for 8 days, and then the cruise for a week. My inlaws are coming on the cruise, so they want water and diet cokes from us too. We're going to be lugging those drinks onboard, quite literally.

And by the time we added breakfast foods, a box of Tide, the bathroom items like shampoo and toothpaste, the bill is easily over $200.

You can come, but we don't have much in the way of food.... breakfast though? We have plenty of breakfast foods coming in that order. Isn't that sad? $200 and we couldn't do a meal out of it besides breakfast.

Shawn in AK

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a few questions.

1) when do you have your groceries delivered? The day you arrive? Prior to your arrival or at time after you arrive? Does the bellman except the groceries or does Vons deliver them to your room?

2) What do you order from Vons? Looking for ideas?

Thanks

From what I understand, bell services will accept your order if you aren't there. If you order alcohol, they will not accept it for you and you have to be there. They give you a window of time for delivery-- 2 hours or 4 hours. We have ours scheduled for 10-12 the day we get there. We're staying at a hotel right by LAX because we get in late the night before. Then we'll head to DL after we get up the next morning. Not sure if they come to the room or not.... But in Portland, the guy did come up to our room with our stuff.

What did I order? Well, we're also pairing this vacation with a 7 day cruise on Carnival. So I went WAY heavy on drinks. And we're staying 8 days. So I ordered drinks (water, gatorade, diet cokes), breakfast items for the room (we have a 1 bedroom villa with a kitchen at the Villas) so that was eggs, bacon, loaf of bread, cereal, milk, oj,bagels, cream cheese...

Then I went to snacks-- small bags of chips, fruit snacks, microwave popcorn, and fruit-- which was apples, cuties, grapes, bananas. And gum for sure :-)

And being we're travelling for 15 days, I ordered full size soap/shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste. And the smallest box of tide they carry to wash our clothes since we'll have a washer/dryer combo in our room. I did have sunblock on there, but our local store had bottles of the spray on stuff for $4, so I stocked up. That stuff is expensive!

That all was a little over $200 before the delivery fee.

Hope this helps!
Shawn in AK

I'm placing my order tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes. We did it for a trip in 2008 also - worked like a charm, but perhaps security checks on accurate billing addresses have changed in 2 years!:confused3 I plan to do it exactly the way I did it last time, and we'll see - keep your fingers crossed!:upsidedow

I'm placing my order tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes. We did it for a trip in 2008 also - worked like a charm, but perhaps security checks on accurate billing addresses have changed in 2 years!:confused3 I plan to do it exactly the way I did it last time, and we'll see - keep your fingers crossed!:upsidedow

Yes, please let me know how it goes as we leave next week and I would love to do this if possible!

I will watch to see your report on how it all goes! Thank you very much!!

Nope - didn't work. Tried RBC visa and Amex - neither worked. So it looks like us Canadians are SOL when it comes to ordering groceries.

Strange that they would not accept Canadian credit cards but accept credit cards from Australia :confused3 As I used an Australian credit card to place my order, it was a Visa.

Bell service do accept your order, we had ours delivered at GCH a few hours after we planned on arriving at the hotel thinking we would have to be there to receive it, but no, Bell Service accepted it and delivered it to our room, although we could have gone down to pick the groceries up.

Does anyone know if you can also use Albertson's grocery store to have groceries sent to your hotel?
When we stayed at Residence Inn Maingate in 2007 they advertised a grocery delivery service, which we used, and I noticed the groceries were from Albertson's.
I briefly checked out the online shopping page of both Von's and Albertson's, using the Disneyland Hotel zip code, and it looked like Albertson's had a larger selection.

Thanks for any input!

Found this trick on another site, and have used it several times. Works with VONS and at Gas Stations. When they ask for your 5 digit zip, (which is aligned with your credit card) use only the digits from your postal code and then add two zeros at the end. i.e. V6E-3H8 becomes 63800.

Nope - didn't work. Tried RBC visa and Amex - neither worked. So it looks like us Canadians are SOL when it comes to ordering groceries.

In the billing part, did you enter the zip code of the hotel you are staying at instead of your postal code? I have to do this when I charge up my US AT&T cell phone - it's the only thing that works. It's also what I do when I order groceries delivered to the hotel (through Von's).

Found this trick on another site, and have used it several times. Works with VONS and at Gas Stations. When they ask for your 5 digit zip, (which is aligned with your credit card) use only the digits from your postal code and then add two zeros at the end. i.e. V6E-3H8 becomes 63800.

Thanks for the tip!! My Von's order went through using my TD Visa and your numeric conversion. My delivery should be arriving shortly after we do.

Thanks to everyone for sharing all your great experiences ordering from Vons.

That is going to be one heck of a commute for Safe way, all the way to Canada. ;)

Oh... well there goes my joke then. ;) I did not know that Safe Way's are located there too. Good to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter