VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Horselover, was this because it was over the holiday week that they wouldn't let you in? I'll be in Florida in a few weeks and would like to drive over and visit the lodge. Don't they usually allow this?

Home today because of winter weather in Alabama. Two snows in one year. Not sure that has ever happened here.
When I called MS the other day the CM recommended Tokelau for the poly request. She also mentioned it was the building that had the laundry (which we might need this trip). But looking at Tikiman's site I thought it read that it didn't have laundry in that building. Anyone have a clue. I figure Tikiman probably is in the know. Anyone have experience with laundry at the poly studios?

No laundry in Tokelau - it's ground floor in Moorea.

But then CM's have told people to book the GV's at Kidani because it had the pool table. (It doesn't - that's Jambo).

no idea but maybe go to the touringplans view ? We are also staying there in a studio in April, and requested first floor.... ENJOY!!!!

Looks like the rooms close to the elevators on the top floor have enclosed balconies. The ones further down do not. Right now our request is for "higher floor" with lake view. I was hoping to see EWP and/or fireworks. But now I am rethinking. With 4 kids 8 and under it might be nice to have the ground level room for easy entry and exit from the patio. What do you like about the first floor?

Found the app last night. Now I just need to buy my park tickets. :goodvibes I definitely plan to buy the MAX Pass. My dining window opens next week too. I was considering doing Napa Rose for my birthday dinner, but I read you can get the menu at the lounge so I'll probably just do that. Not sure I'll make any other reservations. It's just 2 nights & my only other must have is the Monte Cristo sandwich which a CA local friend told me you can get at one of the quick service places. I don't remember which one. Better look that up! :laughing:

39 days until I check into VWL. I've missed staying there so much. Can't wait to be home again. :goodvibes

Got an email yesterday about my 1 night stay at AKV. No more payments by cash now? That's odd & I hope it doesn't roll out to all resorts. I put down a credit card at check in but I rarely charge to the room. I use gift cards for dining, but for small purchases I still like to pay cash. They shouldn't force people to use credit cards or put down large cash deposits to cover anything charged to the room. Really wonder sometimes what upper management is thinking. :confused3

I'm not certain if you've got a place to get DL tickets Julie but the best price I've found is with Last Minute Travel Club. You have to be a "member" but there are codes out there for free memberships.

I've also heard the meals can be ordered in the lounge for Napa Rose. We ate there last week and had a great time. I unfortunately made a poor selection - Bison pot roast so if it's still on the menu I recommend skipping it. But everyone else was very happy and I've had great meals the other two times we've dined there. I'd also recommend Carthay Circle for a sit down or Rancho del Zocalo for QS in DL. The Monte Cristo sandwich - interested to hear what you think. It's iconic but way too sweet for me to be considered a sandwich.

According to the first page of this thread, it looks like most of the Groupies are skipping early December trips this year? Right now there is no one checking in after December 7 through December 17 (today's 11 month date). I know we'll have a good time regardless, but was wondering if everyone had reported their trips yet for December?
We may switch to mid-December from early December. Have to get a trip planned with my cousin to Norway in the fall and then will make the final date decision for WDW. :tigger:

Its snowing here in NC. Last week, it was going to be a trace. Sunday the weatherman said possible 1-3" Yesterday they mentioned, it could be 4", this am, they said up to 6", last forecast my daughter heard a bit ago, now up to 9", my DS just said update again, now up to 12".:scared1:

:scared: Good luck Jimmy! We finally are supposed to have our first big winter storm arrive tomorrow. DH was just getting the snowblower warmed up JIK. I'm hoping mostly rain but it may be some snow early Friday morning. We'll see!

Looks like the rooms close to the elevators on the top floor have enclosed balconies. The ones further down do not. Right now our request is for "higher floor" with lake view. I was hoping to see EWP and/or fireworks. But now I am rethinking. With 4 kids 8 and under it might be nice to have the ground level room for easy entry and exit from the patio. What do you like about the first floor?
we had walked around that area this past April and they just seemed nice. We have stayed so many times in studios and other disney resorts and always had upper floors with the regular baloconies that the first floor is something we want to try. Maybe carry back some food from GP and eat at our table? Just counting down to spring!!!

I'm not certain if you've got a place to get DL tickets Julie but the best price I've found is with Last Minute Travel Club. You have to be a "member" but there are codes out there for free memberships.

I've also heard the meals can be ordered in the lounge for Napa Rose. We ate there last week and had a great time. I unfortunately made a poor selection - Bison pot roast so if it's still on the menu I recommend skipping it. But everyone else was very happy and I've had great meals the other two times we've dined there. I'd also recommend Carthay Circle for a sit down or Rancho del Zocalo for QS in DL. The Monte Cristo sandwich - interested to hear what you think. It's iconic but way too sweet for me to be considered a sandwich.

Thanks for the ticket suggestion. I do appreciate it, but I couldn't join out of principle. Kind of goes against my industry.

I will not order the bison pot roast if I see it on the menu. ::yes:: I love Monte Cristo sandwiches so I'm hoping I like the DLR version. At least I can say I finally tried it.

Ron...I appreciate this recommendation. We are 90 days out from our first visit to DL in 22 years and I haven't planned anything other than I need to buy a MAX Pass when I get there. We won't have a car so we will be eating on property or anywhere within walking distance of the parks. I'm seeing so many conflicting reports about the dining options and I am happy to see someone give a thumbs up to a restaurant. :thanks:

We liked the Jazz Kitchen at DTD too...you are going to love the shorter walking, and yes you do have to do the Nemo Submarines just for nostalgia’s sake and think back to when it was 20,000 Leagues....

we had walked around that area this past April and they just seemed nice. We have stayed so many times in studios and other disney resorts and always had upper floors with the regular baloconies that the first floor is something we want to try. Maybe carry back some food from GP and eat at our table? Just counting down to spring!!!

That' a nice idea. Do you know if the 1st floor rooms have access to the walkway from the patio?

That' a nice idea. Do you know if the 1st floor rooms have access to the walkway from the patio?

Here's a view of the ground floor on the lake side of VWL. Yes, the 1st floor rooms have access to the walkway from the patio (at least until those bushes lining the walkway grow up!). But if you go out that way, there is no way to lock the sliding glass door. So it is only good if one person is looking to go to, for example, the counter service at Geyser Point. If everyone is leaving it doesn't help unless you are okay with leaving a ground floor room unlocked.

VWL Back2.jpg

Last edited:
Got an email yesterday about my 1 night stay at AKV. No more payments by cash now? That's odd & I hope it doesn't roll out to all resorts. I put down a credit card at check in but I rarely charge to the room. I use gift cards for dining, but for small purchases I still like to pay cash. They shouldn't force people to use credit cards or put down large cash deposits to cover anything charged to the room. Really wonder sometimes what upper management is thinking. :confused3

I doubt Disney will ever say no to cash. What this announcement says to me is that they expect all rooms to have a charge card down on it and they may take away the ability of small carts in and around the parks to deal in cash. Example: the balloon folk on main street may now only be able to scan a credit card or wristband. This is opposite to the way it used to always be which was cash only at those little vendors.

What they'll see is more people hitting up the front desk nightly to tally up the day's purchases and pay them off with cash before their charge cards are hit.

According to the first page of this thread, it looks like most of the Groupies are skipping early December trips this year? Right now there is no one checking in after December 7 through December 17 (today's 11 month date). I know we'll have a good time regardless, but was wondering if everyone had reported their trips yet for December?

We may switch to mid-December from early December. Have to get a trip planned with my cousin to Norway in the fall and then will make the final date decision for WDW. :tigger:

I'm piecing together a short stay in early-to-mid December but the walkers fragmented the availability for those of us who wanted the days. Right now I have 3 and 3 days with one day in between and on each end as unavailable. All I want is a 4 or 5 night stay without changing rooms.

Started to think about splurging on a concierge room at the GF (If I have to transfer for a night, make it something different), then looked up the prices for one night and passed out. :faint:

Last edited:
Ron...I appreciate this recommendation. We are 90 days out from our first visit to DL in 22 years and I haven't planned anything other than I need to buy a MAX Pass when I get there. We won't have a car so we will be eating on property or anywhere within walking distance of the parks. I'm seeing so many conflicting reports about the dining options and I am happy to see someone give a thumbs up to a restaurant. :thanks:
Although my experience is now a couple of years old, Luv and I can recommend the following: Carthay Circle (but don't let them seat you next to the big server station); Napa Rose; Rancho del Zocalo (hard to believe it's a QS); Redd Rockets (has very fresh, crispy salads); Tortilla Jo's in DD (they make excellent guacamole table side); Wine Country Trattoria; and the lounge in the GCH. Overall, the food at DL appeared fresher and had a higher quality. The only place we wouldn't recommend is Blue Bayou. Expensive and poorly executed--not Cajun-style at all. Service was mediocre, and unless you get seated very close to the water, the ambiance is meh.

Its snowing here in NC. Last week, it was going to be a trace. Sunday the weatherman said possible 1-3" Yesterday they mentioned, it could be 4", this am, they said up to 6", last forecast my daughter heard a bit ago, now up to 9", my DS just said update again, now up to 12".:scared1:
We were supposed to get "clipped" by the clipper system--a dusting to an inch+. We're sitting at 4-5" and still snowing, albeit lightly. I've lived in ND, CO, and AK--I've seen enough snow and cold weather to last the rest of my life. Bring on summer.

Good afternoon from snowy Richmond, VA! Yep, after a 6 year hiatus on the thread (where has the time gone!), we weren't even sure if it was still around - and Yea! you all are! It's nice to see some of the "old timers" are still here and (obviously) tons of new. Job changes/retirement (and then unretirement), family etc have kept us away for a long time. We have not been to the World in two years but have started our planning for November/December. :-) I must say - it's nice to read and "see" everyone again!
I don't believe we've met, but welcome back!! We live about 5 1/2 hours away over in the southwest part of VA, but I believe you guys might have gotten more snow than we did. We were only supposed to get a dusting to an inch, though!

They're convenient to step out momentarily or to get to a quick coffee or drink. However, as noted, you can't lock the sliding doors from the outside, so that limits the convenience. Further, everyone who walks by can look into your room, so you're pretty much stuck keeping the curtains closed if you want privacy. We've had ground floor rooms and liked them, but we prefer higher floors. We actually enjoyed the top floor rooms. Although the balcony is half enclosed, the ceilings are vaulted so the rooms feel roomier. The odds of you getting a room with the enclosed balconies aren't that high, anyway, since that's one floor among four (2, 3, 4, & 5).

Although my experience is now a couple of years old, Luv and I can recommend the following: Carthay Circle (but don't let them seat you next to the big server station); Napa Rose; Rancho del Zocalo (hard to believe it's a QS); Redd Rockets (has very fresh, crispy salads); Tortilla Jo's in DD (they make excellent guacamole table side); Wine Country Trattoria; and the lounge in the GCH. Overall, the food at DL appeared fresher and had a higher quality. The only place we wouldn't recommend is Blue Bayou. Expensive and poorly executed--not Cajun-style at all. Service was mediocre, and unless you get seated very close to the water, the ambiance is meh.

For me the experience is reversed with Wine Country Trattoria and Blue Bayou. It's been a few years since I've gone to Wine Country Trattoria but every meal was just average and service was mediocre or poor. Blue Bayou - has been good meals for us albeit over priced compared to restaurants outside of Disney - or even compared to other Disneyland prices - but it's always busy so they can. The check in people there have been great. The servers can provide interesting moments but we haven't had any major service snafus there. I recommend it for a Fantasmic dining package. I still shudder at eating at Wine Country again. ;)

Good afternoon from snowy Richmond, VA! Yep, after a 6 year hiatus on the thread (where has the time gone!), we weren't even sure if it was still around - and Yea! you all are! It's nice to see some of the "old timers" are still here and (obviously) tons of new. Job changes/retirement (and then unretirement), family etc have kept us away for a long time. We have not been to the World in two years but have started our planning for November/December. :-) I must say - it's nice to read and "see" everyone again!

Hi Happydinks! Definitely long time no see. Hope you're doing well and enjoying your planning!

No laundry in Tokelau - it's ground floor in Moorea.

But then CM's have told people to book the GV's at Kidani because it had the pool table. (It doesn't - that's Jambo).

The no laundry in Tokelau may be a deal breaker for me. I just don't want a parking lot view from Pago Pago. Hmmm, what to do???

Oh and still have ice in South Alabama. Just got the word that we will not have school again tomorrow. I need to find another project to get busy on.

For me the experience is reversed with Wine Country Trattoria and Blue Bayou. It's been a few years since I've gone to Wine Country Trattoria but every meal was just average and service was mediocre or poor. Blue Bayou - has been good meals for us albeit over priced compared to restaurants outside of Disney - or even compared to other Disneyland prices - but it's always busy so they can. The check in people there have been great. The servers can provide interesting moments but we haven't had any major service snafus there. I recommend it for a Fantasmic dining package. I still shudder at eating at Wine Country again. ;)

Is Blue Bayou the one next to the Pirates Ride at DL? It's been 16 years since our one and only DL trip. That's one of the only places I remember eating other than Goofy's Kitchen at the DL Hotel for Thanksgiving.

The no laundry in Tokelau may be a deal breaker for me. I just don't want a parking lot view from Pago Pago. Hmmm, what to do???

Oh and still have ice in South Alabama. Just got the word that we will not have school again tomorrow. I need to find another project to get busy on.

Tokelau would still be a request so if you want to be in the building with the laundry I'd request Moorea first then Tokelau. Even so, there are trees in front of Pago Pago so while I haven't been in the rooms I think it's few of them that would be straight on parking lot with nothing in between. It is the risk with standard view PVB though.

Is Blue Bayou the one next to the Pirates Ride at DL? It's been 16 years since our one and only DL trip. That's one of the only places I remember eating other than Goofy's Kitchen at the DL Hotel for Thanksgiving.

Yes, that's the one!

That's how dining experiences work, huh? What's good for one is not so much for the other. Our check-in was a long wait despite a reservation, and though I had mentioned it was Luv's birthday (a landmark one at that), after that long wait we were seated right next to the bathrooms and a service station. Not only was it loud, we were also overlooked by our server. Weird, huh, right next to a server station? The food was subpar. I had the gumbo (no longer on the menu) that was bland. Chris had fish that was overcooked and also bland. We looked at the menu recently, and not one dish actually screams Cajun or Creole. I liked Trattoria better than Luv, but the salad she had there and my light lunch were both done well. Service was average to be fair. But, being able to sit outdoors, watch a parade, and drink a glass of wine made it a winner in my book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter