• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Most definitely! I try to look at life from a fun perspective though it can be challenging at times. Life is hard enough without us making it tougher than it has to be. Why go through life down in the dumps all the time when there is so much out there on Gods green earth that was meant to be enjoyed I say:-)

yeahthat.gif

:thumbsup2

Lakegirl
We stayed in one of those 2 beds on the corner facing the pool once(I believe it was room #2519). It was our first experience ever in a 2 bed, and all other 2 beds since have been compared to that one. Ask for near elevator as 1st request, then its just a matter of whether you have a preference of floor level. Then as time approaches, 2 1/2 weeks out minimum, call MS and ask for a specific room # as your choice. I know this sounds like a wild chance in hades of happening, but a CM at MS told me when I was making room requests with just a matter of weeks to go(I understand they issue rooms about 2 weeks to go)at BWV, I could make a room # request. Lo and behold he was right!!
Thank you so much!!

Crash reading to catch up! Happy Birthday Blossomz! I love the work history info. My first job was in high school working for Marshall's clothing store. In college I worked the checkout and Christmas layaway at Walmart (that's a job that will teach to be humble and patient). My first job out of college was teaching 6th grade at a public middle school here in town. 3 years later, I quit to be a SAHM for 11 years. I did work some preschool jobs off and on during my time at home. When my youngest was 4 I went back to teaching at a private Christian school teaching 2nd grade. A few years later I moved to 3rd grade, and then at the 7 year mark, I moved to the middle school (all at the same school). I'm on year 11 teaching. I plan to teach a few more until DD 14 graduates, then I will decide what I want to do with my life when I grow up! :yay:

We moved DD21 to St. Augustine last weekend and got her all settled in. She started occupational therapy school this week. Gonna be a long 2 years I think. They told them that they needed to devote at least 3 hours of study for every credit hour they have each week. 17 hours x 3 = 51 hours of study per week! :crazy: I did send her off with an DVC AP in hand, so if she can find the time, she can at least go to the parks. I took Twinklebugs advice and called member services so that they have a magic file number on her, and she can validate the AP without us being there.

Last but not least, any groupies have any advice about what building to request for the Poly Villas? We have a standard view reserved.
Tokelau

Roaring fork.....all I keep hearing about is how bad it is....what should we avoid??? Are there French fries served?

I saw a Boulder Ridge listing in my email this morning for 175 points for $120/point. That seems quite ambitious considering it was a February use year with only 44 points coming for 2018. So, it got me to wondering — at what point would a groupie have to consider selling? I mean, that is $36/point more than I paid, and I have had 5 great trips with a 6th coming up. I don’t have plans to sell, but I have to admit this made my head turn. Makes me wonder, sell now and wait for the next crash to rebuy? Does anyone else have these thoughts occasionally?

I saw a Boulder Ridge listing in my email this morning for 175 points for $120/point. That seems quite ambitious considering it was a February use year with only 44 points coming for 2018. So, it got me to wondering — at what point would a groupie have to consider selling? I mean, that is $36/point more than I paid, and I have had 5 great trips with a 6th coming up. I don’t have plans to sell, but I have to admit this made my head turn. Makes me wonder, sell now and wait for the next crash to rebuy? Does anyone else have these thoughts occasionally?
The thought does cross my mind on occasion, especially when fees come due each January. We, too, could make a tidy little profit if we sold. . .but, then we'd be without DVC points until we could find another great deal which are becoming increasingly rare. Besides, we keep borrowing, so we'd have a really stripped contract. pirate: So, we'll hold pat and use the points to good use going forward.

Roaring fork.....all I keep hearing about is how bad it is....what should we avoid??? Are there French fries served?
To be fair, half of those critiques probably came from me. :rolleyes1 All I can say is the waffles are nowhere near as good as they used to be. And, now they pretty much force you to buy baskets whether it's breakfast or lunch/dinner. I can't say for certain, but I don't see fries offered at RF at all. I don't know they fry anything there. The kitchen is pretty much closed off and most things seem pre-prepared. Perhaps others know more. You can get waffle fries over at Geyser Point, but according to the menu, they come only with sandwiches and burgers. However, I suspect they would make them a separate order if you wished, and those were excellent both times we had them.

It baffles me that we paid $72 per pt back in 2001 and now, with less yrs left on the contract than previous yrs, and the things are selling for more!! I don't see us selling unless something tragic happens in our lives that force us to do so. DVC, like many of us will agree, has afforded us some wonderful vacation memories, and those are priceless. If the thought crosses my mind, and every so often it does, it passes quickly. Its nice to know we can rent the pts for a premium if we want too, but I find myself trying to max out the pts most times, so hard to justify considering renting.

You can get waffle fries over at Geyser Point, but according to the menu, they come only with sandwiches and burgers.
They are very tasty. Better than Chick Fil A's versions IMO

It baffles me that we paid $72 per pt back in 2001 and now, with less yrs left on the contract than previous yrs, and the things are selling for more!! I don't see us selling unless something tragic happens in our lives that force us to do so. DVC, like many of us will agree, has afforded us some wonderful vacation memories, and those are priceless. If the thought crosses my mind, and every so often it does, it passes quickly. Its nice to know we can rent the pos for a premium if we want too, but I find myself trying to max out the pos most times, so hard to justify considering renting. . . .

Think of it as similar to when you purchased your home. And 17 years later you are selling it for more money than you purchased it. The house still has the same limited number years of ownership before the price decreases. Lot of people purchasing now were too poor, young or didn't know about DVC in 2001.

Do not know about FF, but they still make a delicious IMO Wilderness salad.

We were there in December and our time coincided with decorating a cookie. That was a tasty, unexpected dessert.

I'm in the same boat as Jimmy...we bought at $75 and now have only 23 years of membership left. I can't say that I ever think about selling because the expiration date and my age line up pretty well. :) At some point, the selling price for VWL (and all 2042 resorts) will have to crash. Maybe when there are less than 20 years of membership? 15? At some point the economics completely fall apart. But no, we don't have plans or even thoughts to sell. As @jimmytammy pointed out, if we have a tight financial year we can always rent out the points.

Think of it as similar to when you purchased your home. And 17 years later you are selling it for more money than you purchased it. The house still has the same limited number years of ownership before the price decreases. Lot of people purchasing now were too poor, young or didn't know about DVC in 2001.
That is a good way to think of it, and honestly for me, I have not considered that. But most timeshares have a bad rep where economists and guys like Clarke Howard and Dave Ramsay are concerned. And DVC is no exception for them as they lump it right in there along with those other timeshares. I know Im glad I didn't wait until the price got out of my fair price range. Back then, it was steep IMO, but fortunately, I convinced Tammy we could make it financially.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have used DVC as an investment, re-selling for a profit. I would have separated the pts I wanted to use from those I wanted to rent until the time I would have sold those same contracts. But that would have been risky business. Who in their right mind would have seen it back then, but then again, 10 yrs into it, instead of $50 a pt, they were $72, so I guess if I had the money, would I have really done that:confused3

Roaring Fork used to be our go to for a good quick meal. Now we struggle to find something we want to eat there - and what we do want to eat there usually comes from one of the coolers (pre made sandwich or salad). The tater tots don'e bother me TOO much but I would prefer fries. We tried the gourmet grilled cheese and well the hubster wouldn't eat it. I traded my meal for his so he didn't go without. I didn't hate it, but I certainly did like love or even like it very much. The burger was just OK. I found the burger there and at Geyser Point window to be a bit on the greasy side.

Our family is very disappointed in the menu changes. It looks nice inside though.

Well, yes & no. I get the connection, but timeshares with expiring ownership in anywhere from 42 - 50 years are different than a home which is usually good for 100+ years as long as well maintained. For me it seems points are inflating at a higher than expected rate. But I do see the similarity.

What I think many discount because of other timeshare history is the location of most of the DVC resorts ie, the bubble it is in - and that trading in is not all that easy. If one wants to go to WDW regularly and wants the benefits of staying onsite and to stay at a Deluxe resort then the value of DVC won't fall and actually sees some increase right along with the onsite hotel prices. Disney resorts does the most IMO to support DVC with their continued, higher than inflation, price increases. So thank you Disney resorts! Now that thought does mean that eventually they will decline but barring any cataclysmic event and assuming that WDW is still attractive for people to visit it should be a gradual decline once it reaches it's peak comparison and retain some value pretty much up until the end. At least that's my thought.

We we were there in December they did not have french fries, instead they have tater tots which they call "something-barrels [forget what the "something" is, sorry), but they are tater tots.

SW

We we were there in December they did not have french fries, instead they have tater tots which they call "something-barrels [forget what the "something" is, sorry), but they are tater tots.

SW

As others have noted, the waffle fries at Geyser Pointe are very good.

SW

I think we paid around 67.50 for our points (our first contract)?? I think our add on was around $75. Bought both direct from Disney. Can't really remember. I'm sure we could do well to sell ours, but I have no intention of doing so. I still want to go to Disney fairly often and the sticker price of paying for a room is enough to make me keep my DVC points. I would love to have more points and even looked at buying a contract to just rent out until later when we actually could use the points, but I didn't see how I could swing it and make it pay for itself if I had to finance any of it. If we ever do buy more it will be resale. I can't see ever buying any more points from Disney directly. Right now, we have too much college to pay for, and that won't be going away for awhile now. I do know that over the years we have given our girls some incredible vacations and memories with those DVC points that we financed and have now paid off. I'm not a finance guru and I'm sure we probably shouldn't have bought when we did, but I have zero regrets. I sound like one of those MasterCard commercials "Priceless!":)

My goodness - I didn't think that being away from Disney for two years would mean so many changes - some good and some not so good - from what we're reading here! We did a 7 day Disney cruise last year - but never made it to the world. We've missed it, and are looking forward to the trip - but with a bit of trepidation over all that seems to have gone on since we last visited. Please tell me the Lodge (even with the all the building and changes) - is still as welcoming as it always was in the past! Roaring Fork not good anymore...so sad......

My goodness - I didn't think that being away from Disney for two years would mean so many changes - some good and some not so good - from what we're reading here! We did a 7 day Disney cruise last year - but never made it to the world. We've missed it, and are looking forward to the trip - but with a bit of trepidation over all that seems to have gone on since we last visited. Please tell me the Lodge (even with the all the building and changes) - is still as welcoming as it always was in the past! Roaring Fork not good anymore...so sad......
I was one of the more vocal Groupies against the changes coming to the Lodge. And, they did remove a lot of the "wilderness" aspect of it--so many trees taken down, the nature trail gone, the beach extinct, and the quiet serenity of Hidden Springs pool area is no more. That being said, the changes do look lovely, even the cabins. WL has become, at once, a bit more upscale looking and a bit less intimate. I'm still conflicted by all the changes. Still, when we walk into the lobby and around the grounds, we still feel as though we're home. . .a renovated, updated home not always to my liking, but still home. I don't think you'll find that is missing at all. On the other hand, RF simply doesn't have a lot of good vibes going for it. The new outside seating area is very nicely done--the food at RF? Not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter