• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

My goodness - I didn't think that being away from Disney for two years would mean so many changes - some good and some not so good - from what we're reading here! We did a 7 day Disney cruise last year - but never made it to the world. We've missed it, and are looking forward to the trip - but with a bit of trepidation over all that seems to have gone on since we last visited. Please tell me the Lodge (even with the all the building and changes) - is still as welcoming as it always was in the past! Roaring Fork not good anymore...so sad......

Not to fear, the lodge and villas are still as relaxing and beautiful as ever. I'm not a fan of the new pool. I miss the bubbles and the feel of privacy and shade that the trees created. Bubbles aren't coming back, and if they are I suggest you swim away from the source. ;) The trees may grow and add some shade, but it will never be the same.

the changes do look lovely, even the cabins. WL has become, at once, a bit more upscale looking and a bit less intimate. I'm still conflicted by all the changes. Still, when we walk into the lobby and around the grounds, we still feel as though we're home. . .a renovated, updated home not always to my liking, but still home. I don't think you'll find that is missing at all. On the other hand, RF simply doesn't have a lot of good vibes going for it. The new outside seating area is very nicely done--the food at RF? Not so much.

All that is needed is a new menu, or should I say, a restored menu. The new chef in charge has been trying to put some classy fingerprints on the take out areas. Unfortunately, this one didn't need any changes. The outdoor seating area feels like it was there all along. Excellent job done.

My goodness - I didn't think that being away from Disney for two years would mean so many changes - some good and some not so good - from what we're reading here! We did a 7 day Disney cruise last year - but never made it to the world. We've missed it, and are looking forward to the trip - but with a bit of trepidation over all that seems to have gone on since we last visited. Please tell me the Lodge (even with the all the building and changes) - is still as welcoming as it always was in the past! Roaring Fork not good anymore...so sad......
Some parts of the Resort have certainly underwent a big change in the last 2 years. Personally, I think the cabins are a nice edition not only because we can stay in them but they fit in with the Resort. The walkways to the cabins are really nice. The Geyser Point Grill is also a great edition.

Happydinks said:

First of all, let me join the chorus in welcoming the return of our friend Happydinks! :yay:

I am in the same camp as Sleepy and others...the grounds of the Wilderness Lodge campus are definitely different. But the lobby, the covered walkways, and the general vibe is still the same as always. I don't think that anyone without an emotional investment would say that the changes are a bad thing. I think overall the changes have elevated the entire resort area in the minds of most people and I am seeing posts from many who are now considering a first stay at WL/CCV/VWL.

I'll agree that Roaring Fork seems to have taken a downward turn with the menu, but the sandwiches and salads we liked best are still available and they will make them fresh for you if you don't want to buy them out of the refrigerated section. And the outside seating area (now covered) at Roaring Fork is a big improvement over the old wrought iron tables and chairs.

They have planted a lot of trees and bushes and I think that in 5-10 years VWL will regain much of its woodsy feel. Some people will lament that, while others will be happy with it. In the mean time, it is still our beloved Lodge and our favorite resort.

...8 more sleeps until we head to Kidani with DD and DSIL :goodvibes

We hope to head over to the Lodge after our brunch at Fort Wilderness. We've not seen the new Roaring Fork and know nothing about the menu changes. DDad didn't like the grill offerings much before. The sandwiches and Wilderness Salad have always been a staple for me....and the chili...and the house-made chips. Does anyone know if the Magic Bar is still available?

...8 more sleeps until we head to Kidani with DD and DSIL :goodvibes

We hope to head over to the Lodge after our brunch at Fort Wilderness. We've not seen the new Roaring Fork and know nothing about the menu changes. DDad didn't like the grill offerings much before. The sandwiches and Wilderness Salad have always been a staple for me....and the chili...and the house-made chips. Does anyone know if the Magic Bar is still available?
Love Kidani and AKL, in general. It also has two of our fave places to dine: Sanaa and Jiko. Will be interested to hear your report about RF. Based on their listed menu, there are a couple of sandwiches still there and I've read that the Wilderness salad can be had at the to-go area. However, I see nothing about chili or chips.

Thanks for all reassurance that the essence of the Lodge and the Villas (they'll always be the Villas to us!) is still intact. We've been members since 2001 - and what made us buy at the Lodge was the "remote feeling" and peace of the place. On another topic (which I'm sure is somewhere in the 600+ pages of the thread!) any of the new restaurants in Disney Springs that anyone would recommend - or recommend to avoid?
Disney Di and Dad - have a great trip!

:daisy:Happy Birthday @twokats!!!:daisy:

:flower:Happy Birthday @claire_ont!!!:flower:

View attachment 297797

Wishing you both a wonderful day!!!
Hopefully with cake only on your plate!
I second this wonderful post!

Thanks for all reassurance that the essence of the Lodge and the Villas (they'll always be the Villas to us!) is still intact. We've been members since 2001 - and what made us buy at the Lodge was the "remote feeling" and peace of the place. On another topic (which I'm sure is somewhere in the 600+ pages of the thread!) any of the new restaurants in Disney Springs that anyone would recommend - or recommend to avoid?
Not sure either of these qualify as new to you, but. . .

1. Boathouse: Lovely atmosphere; good food (especially like their beef carpaccio); and you can even sit outside if the weather is good.
2. Morimoto Asia: Modern Asian-fusion feel and some quality dishes. We especially enjoy the buri bop only available at dinner.

HappyDinks
We really like Morimoto Asia, especially the spare ribs!! I don't tend to order ribs out as they can be more like work than eating if not cooked well. But MA cooks them to fall off the bone, and the taste is superb

Avoid Frontera Cocina. Slow service and food is just so so

:daisy:Happy Birthday @twokats!!!:daisy:

:flower:Happy Birthday @claire_ont!!!:flower:

:bday: :bday:

I second this wonderful post!

Not sure either of these qualify as new to you, but. . .

1. Boathouse: Lovely atmosphere; good food (especially like their beef carpaccio); and you can even sit outside if the weather is good.
2. Morimoto Asia: Modern Asian-fusion feel and some quality dishes. We especially enjoy the buri bop only available at dinner.

Love the filet mignon sliders at Boathouse. A bargain at $14.00.

HappyDinks
We really like Morimoto Asia, especially the spare ribs!! I don't tend to order ribs out as they can be more like work than eating if not cooked well. But MA cooks them to fall off the bone, and the taste is superb

OMG yes! I actually took a picture of my ribs. I'll dig it out & post it. Those ribs may be the best ribs I've ever had.

I'll also add Homecomin' to the list of must do DS restaurants. The deviled eggs & fried chicken are to die for. I haven't been to D'Luxe Burger yet (on the list for next trip) but I've heard the burgers are quite good. I personally cannot wait for Wine Bar George to open. :D

@sleepydog25 any movement on your VGC wait list? It's looking more & more that my one night wait list for a studio on 2/24 at AKV is not coming through. I thought I had a good shot at AKV. Wait listed at both Jambo & Kidani. I've been checking every day. No studios anywhere. I know that is the end of school vacation week for Northeast schools but I wasn't expecting to not find anything anywhere. I had little hope of my VGC wait lists coming through & those 2 did, but not one night at WDW. Weird. :confused3 Looks like I'll be at the Dolphin for that night. Maybe it's just as well. I've used up all my points for 2018 already & would need to borrow. It's only Jan. & all my points are gone. :crazy2:

@sleepydog25 any movement on your VGC wait list? It's looking more & more that my one night wait list for a studio on 2/24 at AKV is not coming through. I thought I had a good shot at AKV. Wait listed at both Jambo & Kidani. I've been checking every day. No studios anywhere. I know that is the end of school vacation week for Northeast schools but I wasn't expecting to not find anything anywhere. I had little hope of my VGC wait lists coming through & those 2 did, but not one night at WDW. Weird. :confused3 Looks like I'll be at the Dolphin for that night. Maybe it's just as well. I've used up all my points for 2018 already & would need to borrow. It's only Jan. & all my points are gone. :crazy2:
No luck for our one day, either. We keep checking, but it's looking more and more like we won't get that one single day sandwiched between two days on either side. Sigh. We've a time to go yet, but as it creeps up on us, we're not getting good vibes. That "walking" aspect bit us in the behind since we could see those days disappearing a day at a time. Guess we should have jumped on the bandwagon, but I'm just not a fan of that method. . .

I had little hope of my VGC wait lists coming through & those 2 did, but not one night at WDW. Weird. :confused3 Looks like I'll be at the Dolphin for that night. Maybe it's just as well. I've used up all my points for 2018 already & would need to borrow. It's only Jan. & all my points are gone. :crazy2:

I can feel thru the internet that I'm thought to be crazy when I tell people to waitlist VGC and that they have a good chance of it filling! :laughing: As an owner there I know I book just in case but often end up changing. And I think S Cal locals are even more likely to do that.

Sleepy - that's a VGC waitlist? There's a fair amount of movement around 30 days but even in the week before - often the night before! Of course you need a room someplace a little before you arrive I wouldn't give up hope yet. 2 years ago my cousin and I went to DL over New Years. I called at the airport to see about switching a night from the 1BR I had added when we decided to adjust our days as we were otherwise in a studio. They had it and made the switch!

I can feel thru the internet that I'm thought to be crazy when I tell people to waitlist VGC and that they have a good chance of it filling! :laughing: As an owner there I know I book just in case but often end up changing. And I think S Cal locals are even more likely to do that.

Sleepy - that's a VGC waitlist? There's a fair amount of movement around 30 days but even in the week before - often the night before! Of course you need a room someplace a little before you arrive I wouldn't give up hope yet. 2 years ago my cousin and I went to DL over New Years. I called at the airport to see about switching a night from the 1BR I had added when we decided to adjust our days as we were otherwise in a studio. They had it and made the switch!
We will continue to hold out hope to the end! :jester: We definitely have alternate accommodations for the one night at the classic DLH. In fact, Luv said she would be a bit verklempt if we do get the wait listed room. As I remind her each time she says that, $400+ would go a long way to making this a less expensive trip! BTW, that's $400+ WITH my military discount.

We will continue to hold out hope to the end! :jester: We definitely have alternate accommodations for the one night at the classic DLH. In fact, Luv said she would be a bit verklempt if we do get the wait listed room. As I remind her each time she says that, $400+ would go a long way to making this a less expensive trip! BTW, that's $400+ WITH my military discount.

The Disney hotels have gotten just crazy with prices! I can understand Luv though - it is kind of fun to stay at the DLH. After all, where else can you get a headboard that has a castle and fireworks of twinkling lights?!

This teacher has a few extra days at home to catch up on posts since I apparently have the flu!:crazy2: I really don't feel like I have the flu, no coughing, aching, sneezing, or anything of the sort. My right lung hurts when I take a deep breath. Doc says that Flu A has settled in my lung??? I've never had anything like this before. So no school for a few days for me. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Took my first dose of Tamiflu a few hours ago. Fun times...
Glad to see the recommendations for the Disney springs food. I may be over that way in a few weeks to visit my daughter in St. Augustine. Thought we may slip over to Disney Springs for lunch. I think we may try the boathouse. Do they take reservations?
Since DD is sort of local now, how do fastpasses work for someone that has an AP, but isn't staying on Disney property. I read a little, but the whole 7 days of reservations comments confuse me. Is there a limit to how many fastpasses she could use in a year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter