VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

So - I would like to point out, with only a few exceptions - it really is only the first two weeks of December, and particular to studios that this is a problem. I suppose if that is the time you have to go - and I am guessing many people feel they have to go at this time since it is so popular - then yeah I would maybe recommend against it, but for 96% of the year there is really no problem getting your home at 11 months out. And for me personally, early December is extremely low on my priority list. We took one trip to Disney early December (2009) and while I enjoyed the holiday stuff, I found that (a) it was WAAYYY too crowded for my taste even back then - might still be the most crowded trip I've ever taken and (b) there's so much stuff that needs to get done to prepare for Christmas I found the weeks leading up to the trip and after the trip were absolutely miserable as we tried to decorate and get presents bought and wrapped and shipping..etc. I would prefer to go before Thanksgiving and see the decorations and then have Christmas season at home. That's just me, but the craze of early December DVC booking doesn't affect me at all.

I do agree I wish there was something that could be done about "walking" without really screwing up the DVC experience. I have done it myself out of necessity, but if they found a way to eliminate it I would be all for it. I've always perhaps thought they could limit the number of changes to a reservation. Perhaps you can change your reservation 3 times for free, but after that it's a $25 fee. While it wouldn't eliminate walking, it could cut it back. (Probably a debate for another thread.)
You're correct that the prime issue is during that couple of weeks; however, where it used to be a couple of weeks, I'm seeing more and more of similar issues during the whole gamut of the holiday season, as well as some during high profile events such as a road race or the onset of F&W and attempting to get in at the Epcot resorts, et.al. Admittedly, we've not had a lot of issues. Then again, we've not tried the holidays for a few years and generally stay at our home resort even during F&W, for example. I don't think there is an equable solution to the walking issue, though something along the lines you suggested might just work.

The DVCs are all becoming victims of their own success. We don't help the issue by promoting how wonderful the decor around the resorts is, but we can't lie. No one decorates better than Disney. Early December is hardly low season anymore, perhaps it's simply time for the seasons to be changed. Pull some points in from another time of year that doesn't fill up as quickly.

Regarding walkers: I would like to see the practice abolished all together. We all need to change our reservations by a day here or there to suit our schedules or flights, a few changes should be allowed. Obvious call after call after call to member services to walk the reservations need to be clamped down on and the caller told that they will be put to the back of the wait list for their entire stay after so a few such calls. Three changes rings as the magic number to me too.

Last edited:
One thing about DVC is that it is sold to be occupied 100% year round. Of course there aren't fixed weeks for most locations so the "year round" isn't really taken care of at the time of sale but in the availability when one goes to book. As certain times of the year have been promoted by Disney parks with increased events, decorations etc they have increased popularity over other times. Disney seems to be working on the slow times to build them up too so maybe we'll see an easing in what is currently so difficult. Or maybe there will have to be a reallocation to attempt to shift some demand. Overall I think people are just getting more on the ball about booking so it's filling up faster. A get shut out once at 9 months and you're going to be online at 10 months. Get shut out at 10 months you're going to be online at 11 months going forward type of thing.

I also feel and have said this elsewhere that the online booking tools have had an influence. Now you watch dates disappearing and get online as quick as possible to get your room. Before we were oblivious if a date was gone or not until you called in - and then if it was your date you might not know that the day before was all booked up. And it's just easier to book online. No calling in and waiting in a queue. More people can book at one time vs being based on how many CM's were working at the time so it also goes faster - ie, 8 am instead of 9:30 or 10 am.

I don't love it but will adjust. When I don't want to adjust I'll sell but am willing to deal with it now. And walkers don't bother me other than I think there is more walking than needed. We're able to shift travel times so are also lucky that way.

The DVCs are all becoming victims of their own success. We don't help the issue by promoting how wonderful the decor around the resorts is, but we can't lie. No one decorates better than Disney. Early December is hardly low season anymore, perhaps it's simply time for the seasons to be changed. Pull some points in from another time of year that doesn't fill up as quickly.

Well, some of it is just the numbers...WLV/BRV is very popular pre-christmas. There used to be say a million DVC members and 10% that want to stay there at Christmas. Now there are two million DVC members and it's still 10%, but that's twice as many people. It's why Beach Club is so brutal to get into at 7 months. A huge # of members vying for those slots.

However, I want to point out this also a victim of the nice flexible system that DVC has given us. Many timeshares require you to buy fixed weeks. DVCs points system makes it so these dates are at a premium.

One thing DVC could do - if they so chose to - is redistribute the points, so that the first two weeks of December (and most race weekends) are no longer low point total weeks. They could make those weeks higher point totals, and that would likely distribute a portion of members to other times of the year.

So it just became apparent why Cub's Den was not reopened as the announcement from Disney is that they are closing all the Kids clubs resort wide as of July 31st.

Just as we're starting to get a round of young ones back in the family! :rolleyes2

So it just became apparent why Cub's Den was not reopened as the announcement from Disney is that they are closing all the Kids clubs resort wide as of July 31st.

Just as we're starting to get a round of young ones back in the family! :rolleyes2

Very sad to hear this, my daughter has fond memories from doing this at Wilderness, Polynesian, & Beach Club. I recall it allowed for a nice adult dinner night out with adult beverages. I’m sad that others won’t have the same opportunity for a break.

Same here. Used the Cubs' Den a few times when heading over to AP. DD loved it there. Another cost-cutting move and one more step back in customer service.

To learn a bit more about ourselves, I thought it might be neat to share what jobs we hold currently and what past jobs we had. It may be eye opening for us all!!

So, other than going to work in the summers while in school for my Dads construction business(I think this was mainly to get me out of my moms hair:D and it seems I was pretty young, maybe 6-7), I drove a school bus 2 yrs(when they used to let the students still drive), was a bus boy for a very short time(owner told me if I broke a dish, he would break my head, so I decided before I broke one over his head, it was time to quit:duck:), was a cook at Pizza hut while in college(best thing that came out of that was learning to work for the public and Tammy was a waitress there, a match made in Pizza Heaven
:-)) and now a full time Partner/Carpenter in our construction business for over 30 yrs

• Early on my job was to be a child in the family
  • Later on I was a teenager, then college student; still being supported by family
  • Married to Main Squeeze at a tender 21
  • Supported by Main Squeeze until College Graduation
  • Started a family; DD & DS
  • Supported by Family Business until I moved on
  • Supported by Eng. Firm & travelled everywhere on the planet they told me to go
  • Still supported by Main Squeeze - 43 years
  • Planning retirement in two years
  • Planning more Disney trips

During all that above, in the family business, I started out early as a gardener, then machine shop labor, then control panel wireman, married my High School Sweetheart, College came and went, left the family business (very hard), joined an engineering firm, eventually became General Manager of Automation, then part owner, then old, and now looking for the reward. But in all that I have come to realize that my rewards have been the opportunities I was presented, the people I have met, and the life I have had with my main squeeze and children. And what a cool bonus to be involved with such wonderful Groupies. :goodvibes

Ok I'll play.

Growing up my first job was shoveling horse poop & I loved every minute of it! :laughing: Various retail jobs as a teenager to pay for my horse habit. My first job out of high school was working as a broker's assistant at Merrill Lynch. My boss wanted me to get my broker's license, but that would not have been the job for me. Worked as an office manager until that business went out of business. Assistant to a senior professor at Harvard Business School. He hired me for my organizational skills. His lack of organizational skills eventually got the best of me. :faint: Assistant to the director of marketing at Bay Bank which became BankBoston then Fleet & now Bank of America. :faint: Got married & was a full time mom for while until DS#2 was almost a year old. DH lost his job during the recession of Bush Sr. Went back to work at Fleet which was bought not long after I returned by Bank of America. I was a project analyst in the small business department. Had to quit that job when it became apparent DS#1's needs required a parent at home. When the kids were older I worked part time in a gourmet food & wine shop. That solidified my love of wine. Gave most of my paycheck back to them buying wine. :laughing: Needed rotator cuff surgery & had to take some time off. They wouldn't hold my job unfortunately & I needed something that would still allow me to be home for the kids so I worked as a crossing guard for a couple years. Kids were nice, but being outside in pouring rain, snow, sleet, dodging cars that didn't stop was not that fun. Started my own business after that & have been doing it every since. Love my job as a travel consultant. And there you have it. :goodvibes

First, and foremost, thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes! It made turning 39 all the easier. :rolleyes1 You're a great bunch of friends (and near family). It's hard to imagine in this age of social media ineptitude and poor social graces that our Groupies have survived by doing the smallest things: being polite, communicating plainly, not being argumentative, and actually caring about the others on this thread. It's a bit self-congratulatory, but we deserve credit for being the warmest, most welcoming place on the DIS. Thank you, Groupies, for enriching my life on an almost daily basis.

Great idea, JT, for getting to know each other better, and I might add, a classic example of why we continue to thrive on this thread. :thumbsup2
- Several grocery store-style jobs in high school and college
- Two summers as young college student: jack-of-all-trades at a church camp, from bushhogging to cafeteria work, to plumbing, to pool maintenance; found out there are hundreds of uses for epoxy
- Two summers in latter college years working as Nabisco salesman replacing vacationing full-timers
- Grad school for a year
- Air Force, 21 years
-- ICBM crew member/commander
-- Emergency War Order staff officer (we train crew members re: nukes)
-- XO to various generals throughout my career
-- Grad school on the Air Force dime
-- English professor at US Air Force Academy
-- Chief, Flightline Protocol Office @ Andrews AFB, Home of AF1. I might have met a few people. . .
-- Deputy J4, Alaskan Command, Elmendorf AFB, AK.
-- SAHD--most satisfying "job" of my life
-- Wine shop owner for 4 years--sold it to my business partner after downturn in 2008
-- Substitute teacher at local school district
-- Currently, secretary/bookkeeper for local middle school; middle school girls' tennis coach

It's been nice getting to know the varied backgrounds of our Groupie family. Here's my highlights:

- first jobs in fast food arena
- degree from the University of Virginia
- 30 years working for Anheuser-Busch in marketing their fine beers (until A-B bought by foreign company with ensuing massive layoffs)
- 1 year supermarket cashier
- 1 year marketing director for Build-A-Bear Workshop
- 4 years operations manager at small online retailer of movies, music and toys
- Currently retired, keeping busy with my church and non-profit endeavors

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter