VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Granny - For nice, casual but elegant, late evening dining, try the Turf Club; just a short walk from the pool side Grandstand Villas.

Thanks, Granny! I'm glad rest has revived you! Reading your comments made me think of a recent vlog I watched about a woman who started out at BCV but was switched to YC due to a noise issue. She had plenty of video of both resorts. What we saw was a drab, almost colorless room at BCV. While she appreciated the "clean lines" of the room, it lacked character, warmth, and appeal. The furniture and trimmings were "okay" in her words, although the wood pieces didn't match. After switching to YC, the video showed gorgeous woodwork, themed curtains, lamps, headboards, and more. She loved it, and while she liked her view at BCV better, she was notably joyous and complimentary of the better outfitted room at YC. So, tell me again, DVC, why you can't still build or refurb lovingly themed rooms with deluxe touches anymore?

We went over to DHS yesterday...we had an ADR for Oga's Cantina in Star Wars land. No spoilers here, just wanted to say that we were impressed by the new land. Attention to detail should satisfy any Star Wars fanatic, and it is big enough to handle a pretty good sized crowd.

I was pleasantly surprised by Oga's. We got there at our ADR time and were asked to go to the rear of a pretty good sized line. As it turns out, it looked like a line but it was really just a waiting area. After a few minutes, one of the "villagers" came up to us and called us to go inside. Once there, we were assigned our standing location...90% of the bar is standing only. Basically they have long high top tables and you stand in your place at one of them. Right across from you on the same table are other customers. It was actually a fun way to spend 45 minutes and we enjoyed the drinks and the snack food we ordered. Part of the fun is the other customers that you can't help but spending time with as they are standing just a couple of feet in front of you!

The theming in the bar was perfect for Star Wars, and it was kind of noisy and boisterous as a good bar should be. The drinks were fun and the snack we ordered looked exotic but was actually just a tasty version of "chips" and kind of a salsa sauce.

Overall, we went in with somewhat low expectations and had much more fun that we expected. My caveat is that you will almost certainly be standing, and they do enforce the 45 minute maximum rule in a nice way (by bringing your tab). Overall, Galaxy's Edge was very well done and I can see it being packed for years to come, especially after they add the second attraction.

I'll need the help of the Force to stand in one place for 45 minutes. I hope leaning is allowed!

Yes, leaning is definitely allowed. I thought that we would never spend 45 minutes in that bar but it went by quickly. And we had nice folks standing near us so we enjoyed talking with them.

Last night we went back to Galaxy's Edge to see it at night. It was very impressive, and again we were struck by the attention to detail. Lots of Storm Troopers coming through, asking guests if they are loyal to the First Order and things like that. Mostly having fun with the little ones. And Chewbacca was helping to sell some strange little creature (doll) that sits on your shoulder and moves around...kinda looked like Rizzo the Rat!

After that we were walking out and decided to give Muppetvision 3D a whirl. We haven't been for a few years, and when we went there were only about 20 other people in the theater. It was a good show as always but I think it is taking its last breaths. I can see that area getting re-purposed at some point.

. . . . . . . . After that we were walking out and decided to give Muppetvision 3D a whirl. We haven't been for a few years, and when we went there were only about 20 other people in the theater. It was a good show as always but I think it is taking its last breaths. I can see that area getting re-purposed at some point.

Yeah, I agree. As silly as it sounds, when I have sat in a seat that doesn't get squirted, I am disappointed. :sad: Time for a total re-furb or re-purpose. I hope Miss Piggy doesn't go by the wayside . . .

Jambo! My daughter and I arrived Tuesday, happy to report that ME was operating smoothly, but we did get an overpacked bus. As the last two people to board we had no wait, and 2/3 of the people hopped off at the Pop before heading home to AKV.

Hit up Galaxy’s Edge yesterday as well as our first experience with Wine & Food (reversed purposely, wow to all the alcoholic offerings, I don’t really drink at all and wanted to save that for Oga’s) I’m quite the animatronics nerd so was in my element with all the displays and beeps -n- boops. I give the area an 8.5/10. It’s super cool and well done but leaves me as a fan of the first trio of films wanting more... there are ways, I have faith Disney will figure some out.

We hit up WL for dinner tonight. Beautiful as always. Found myself getting too comfortable in the lobby. Did not head into the villas as my heart would miss it too much. We will return again.

Back at Jambo, I was heading down to Mara to refill our mugs and glanced inside a closed Jiko to see about 7 or 8 Disney professionals seated around a table near the windows. Looked away quickly. Huh, thought I saw a familiar face and glanced back... sure enough, Joe Rhode was among them. They had to have been discussing EPCOT. I would love to have been a fly on the wall. They have so much work to get done in limited time, all while keeping the park attractive and usable. The logistics of projects fascinate me.

It’s much hotter than anticipated, but having fun. Just sticking to our usual summer touring style. I’ll check in later, should have some pics on the phone to share too.

Last edited:
Jambo! My daughter and I arrived Tuesday, happy to report that ME was operating smoothly, but we did get an overpacked bus. As the last two people to board we had no wait, and 2/3 of the people hopped off at the Pop before heading home to AKV.

Hit up Galaxy’s Edge yesterday as well as our first experience with Wine & Food (reversed purposely, wow to all the alcoholic offerings, I don’t really drink at all and wanted to save that for Oga’s) I’m quite the animatronics nerd so was in my element with all the displays and beeps and books. I give the area an 8.5/10. It’s super cool, and well done, but leaves me as a fan of the first trio of films wanting more... there are ways, I have faith Disney will figure some out.

We hit up WL for dinner tonight. Beautiful as always. Found myself getting too comfortable in the lobby. Did not head into the villas as my heart would miss it too much. We will return again.

Back at Jambo, I was heading down to Mara to refill our mugs and glanced inside a closed Jiko to see about 7 or 8 Disney professionals seated around a table near the windows. Looked away quickly. Huh, thought I saw a familiar face... sure enough, Joe Rhode was among them. They had to have been discussing EPCOT. Would love to have been a fly on the wall. They have so much work to get done in limited time, all while keeping the park attractive and usable.

It’s much hotter than anticipated, but having fun. Just sticking to our usual summer touring style. I’ll check in later, should have some pics on the phone to share too.
Glad to hear your trip is off to a great start, twinks! And what a marvelous celebrity sighting! Looking forward to the pics.

And, happy Friday, Groupies! The weekend is here, and it's almost November if you can believe it. As soon as Friday gets here, I'm sure the holiday promo machine will kick into high gear. It's already been flexing its muscles with movies on Hallmark and the occasional odd commercial. I enjoy holiday spirit, but I refuse to jump in the pool, so to speak, until after Thanksgiving: no movies, no music, no decorations. Every season has its due.

Carry on, Groupies!

And, happy Friday, Groupies! The weekend is here, and it's almost November if you can believe it. As soon as Friday gets here, I'm sure the holiday promo machine will kick into high gear. It's already been flexing its muscles with movies on Hallmark and the occasional odd commercial. I enjoy holiday spirit, but I refuse to jump in the pool, so to speak, until after Thanksgiving: no movies, no music, no decorations. Every season has its due.

Carry on, Groupies!
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: . . . . . . . Agreed.

You guys won't want to be coming over to my house in the near future then. :)

As soon as we turn the page after October, we start decorating the house for Christmas. It takes us a while (we have seven trees) so we don't mind starting early. We will be finished by mid-November and ready to settle back and enjoy the season. This will be the first time in a few years that we won't be at WDW in December, so we'll have a little more time to enjoy our decorated house this year.

We don't decorate the outside until after Thanksgiving. But the neighbors can see our trees in the windows so they still give us a hard time about the early start. :)

As we ponder the true meaning of Christmas, we tend to get a little excited. So as I said, you all won't want to come visit us in November most years. Oh, and we keep everything up until January 6, the traditional end of the Christmas season.

. . . . . . . . we keep everything up until January 6, the traditional end of the Christmas season.

Others may not see it that way.

DiznyDi & I live in a very rural situation, and every year for a number of years when we first built our home, I would find a Christmas Tree, sans its needles, tossed out in my front yard in mid March. I found it abandoned there as I pulled out for work in the early morning for at least six or seven years in a row. At first I was astounded, then irritated, then infuriated, then it stopped. I couldn't help but think of where that poor tree stood, first giving delight, then slowly forgotten in someone's family room, as it slowly lost its needles to the vacuumed floor, until some guy with a small, old, rusty, pickup was tired of hearing his poor wife nag him about getting rid of it. And out it would go, saying goodbye to the family it was so happy to thrill, as it rode to its unknown final resting place . . . my yard. When it stopped arriving in March, I knew something major had changed in that family; they moved, someone passed, or who knows what; but it was a Christmas traditions that was never to be celebrated again. Oh well; Christmas past, Christmas present, Christmas future.

We also will not be in The World this Christmas, as we have been the last 13 years. So in the spirit of Christmas, with Granny & Mrs. Granny in mind . . .Merry Christmas to all.

Others may not see it that way.

DiznyDi & I live in a very rural situation, and every year for a number of years when we first built our home, I would find a Christmas Tree, sans its needles, tossed out in my front yard in mid March. I found it abandoned there as I pulled out for work in the early morning for at least six or seven years in a row. At first I was astounded, then irritated, then infuriated, then it stopped. I couldn't help but think of where that poor tree stood, first giving delight, then slowly forgotten in someone's family room, as it slowly lost its needles to the vacuumed floor, until some guy with a small, old, rusty, pickup was tired of hearing his poor wife nag him about getting rid of it. And out it would go, saying goodbye to the family it was so happy to thrill, as it rode to its unknown final resting place . . . my yard. When it stopped arriving in March, I knew something major had changed in that family; they moved, someone passed, or who knows what; but it was a Christmas traditions that was never to be celebrated again. Oh well; Christmas past, Christmas present, Christmas future.

We also will not be in The World this Christmas, as we have been the last 13 years. So in the spirit of Christmas, with Granny & Mrs. Granny in mind . . .Merry Christmas to all.
How poetically odd that such a family celebration perhaps ceased to exist, yet it has given you a unique memory. There's a short story or Hallmark movie in there somewhere. This will be our first trip to Disney during the holidays in perhaps 6-7 years, and we've never been at Disney during the actual day. We still won't have done that this trip, either, as we'll be onboard the Dream. Still, it's a Disney Christmas. Our plan next year is to be there for 8-10 days. We'll be up early to get that reservation, you can bet.

Hi! Would anyone be interested in a VWL Groupies meet-up November 28-December 8, 2019? We have a few down-days and would love to say hello! No pressure! Maybe just a quick hello or drink at Geyser Point?

It’s nice to read about the wonderful Christmas traditions of fellow Groupies.

I’m not ready for Christmas yet. Fall is my favorite season, so I try to savor it. I don’t start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.

I have a new Fall tradition now. Last year I discovered Sam’s Club ( of which my Dear wife has been a member for years) sells discounted Disney Gift Cards. Here on the DIS, I picked up the tip that I can use discounted gift cards to pay my DVC annual dues. So for several weeks already, I have been opening gift cards, peeling off the stickers and entering, transferring balances and deleting gift cards in my Disney Gift Card account. Unfortunately, Sam’s best discounts are on $25 and $50 gift cards and there’s a limit on how many cards can be purchased at one time. Every week, when I receive the cards I process them and order more. So far I’ve processed about $1500 worth of cards. Only $2000 to go. :surfweb:

I wonder if any other Groupies are sharing in my fun?

It’s nice to read about the wonderful Christmas traditions of fellow Groupies.

I’m not ready for Christmas yet. Fall is my favorite season, so I try to savor it. I don’t start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.

I have a new Fall tradition now. Last year I discovered Sam’s Club ( of which my Dear wife has been a member for years) sells discounted Disney Gift Cards. Here on the DIS, I picked up the tip that I can use discounted gift cards to pay my DVC annual dues. So for several weeks already, I have been opening gift cards, peeling off the stickers and entering, transferring balances and deleting gift cards in my Disney Gift Card account. Unfortunately, Sam’s best discounts are on $25 and $50 gift cards and there’s a limit on how many cards can be purchased at one time. Every week, when I receive the cards I process them and order more. So far I’ve processed about $1500 worth of cards. Only $2000 to go. :surfweb:

I wonder if any other Groupies are sharing in my fun?
Yeah. . .no. I do not have that sort of patience. pirate:

Just got back to our villa after experiencing the Keys to the Kingdom tour...what a fun experience! It was a lot of interesting information, and our guide Alex was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Lots of fun information, though I was aware of much of it. Still, I'd recommend this tour to anyone..it is eligible for the DVC (and AP I think) discount and includes lunch. A lot of fun for our 5 hour tour! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter