VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Yesterday's work was complicated by the almost all day long rain. . .most linens are hauled around in a cart open to the air, so that was a no-go. Things have to be bundled into large garbage bags before transport when it rains. Every employee there has a particular role, so that's been fascinating to see, and the leaders and GEMs (guest experience managers) are very focused on not only the guests but on the employees, as well. They pitch in with whatever job needs doing. So far, I've enjoyed my first two days.

However, this was an area where I won't likely see much duty, though they want me trained just in case. The next couple of weeks I'll be doing more actual custodial things--AM and PM shifts, main resort and beach house--with two new trainers. Had today off, work tomorrow, then back on training next week for about three days, and another three days after that, and another three days after that. I should be all custodialized by then. pirate:

The CMs really are a friendly bunch--it's part of the culture there. I'm not so naive as to think there aren't tensions at times, but you won't see it, and I've not experienced any in my short time. The CMs pride themselves on doing a good job with guests, I can assure you of that. By the way, if you should be there in the next few weeks, and you see a guy named Mark from Los Angeles, that's me (name tags take a few weeks, so I'm using an old one!).

Yesterday's work was complicated by the almost all day long rain. . .most linens are hauled around in a cart open to the air, so that was a no-go. Things have to be bundled into large garbage bags before transport when it rains. Every employee there has a particular role, so that's been fascinating to see, and the leaders and GEMs (guest experience managers) are very focused on not only the guests but on the employees, as well. They pitch in with whatever job needs doing. So far, I've enjoyed my first two days.

However, this was an area where I won't likely see much duty, though they want me trained just in case. The next couple of weeks I'll be doing more actual custodial things--AM and PM shifts, main resort and beach house--with two new trainers. Had today off, work tomorrow, then back on training next week for about three days, and another three days after that, and another three days after that. I should be all custodialized by then. pirate:

The CMs really are a friendly bunch--it's part of the culture there. I'm not so naive as to think there aren't tensions at times, but you won't see it, and I've not experienced any in my short time. The CMs pride themselves on doing a good job with guests, I can assure you of that. By the way, if you should be there in the next few weeks, and you see a guy named Mark from Los Angeles, that's me (name tags take a few weeks, so I'm using an old one!).
I've always thought I'd be working for the mouse some day. It's the people who make the magic after all. You can have beautiful resorts and incredible rides, but without the cast members to just pull it together with a smile and care, it's all just physical stuff.

So, Mark from LA, do you and your coworkers think Josh Amarro's announcement on the 28000 layoffs will impact HHI? I'm hoping not, I'm hoping it doesn't touch any of the resorts, but he did say "Domestic" along side that word "parks"

That number hurts.

Re: your tag, my sister brought home a "Cindy" Disney name tag from her CP experience for me years ago. She had left hers back at the apt one day and there were a few to choose from, so she was me for a day :). I still want to work for the mouse.

Last edited:

Checking in from VWL. Yesterday was MK and it was far busier than I expected! I really feel like it was busier than it would of been this time of year Pre-Covid. DH and I were shocked. Disney is doing a great job at social Distancing Everybody and I would say 90% at MK we’re following the rules. As others have reported wait times are for the most part not as long as posted. Mine Train said 45 first thing at park opening and it was 30. Big Thunder said 50 and it was 25. Pirates said 50 and that was 45. Jungle Cruise was posted at 50 and took 25. The one thing I am having a hard time with is the shortened hours. We used to do rope drop then around 2 go back to hotel when it would pour buckets from 3-5 and go back at night. Everyday it has rained really hard around 4:00 for a good couple of hours.
We went to the fireplace at the main lodge 2nd floor last night with a drink and it was amazing. We had tried to go to Geyser Point and it had a 30 minute wait at 8:00 so we ordered drinks walked for a bit and then thought of that fireplace. It was so peaceful. Just as we were getting ready to leave some others come up to sit.
will report more later on.

Lakegirl
Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!! Cant think of a better place to celebrate than the very spot you folks are in :goodvibes

So, SleepyMark it shall be until further notice :teeth:

The CMs really are a friendly bunch--it's part of the culture there. I'm not so naive as to think there aren't tensions at times, but you won't see it, and I've not experienced any in my short time. The CMs pride themselves on doing a good job with guests, I can assure you of that.

This statement says it all for me where CMs are concerned. After yesterdays layoffs, I saw where Yeeha Bob, a well known CM was part of that. In response to his sad news, I remarked on his FB page that he, like all CMs, are the reason we as visitors return time and again to WDW. Sure, the attractions are the draw, but the CMs are the lifeblood. And we know what happens when our bodies drain of this, we wither and die. I know its business, I understand. But the top execs have got to find a way to keep the folks who make the boat truly float. Hopefully business will pick up and Disney can re-employ all affected. Sleepy, prayers and Moose Dust that you and Luv will remain intact. They are going to need good folks like you!

Last edited:

We went to the fireplace at the main lodge 2nd floor last night with a drink and it was amazing. We had tried to go to Geyser Point and it had a 30 minute wait at 8:00 so we ordered drinks walked for a bit and then thought of that fireplace. It was so peaceful. Just as we were getting ready to leave some others come up to sit.
will report more later on.
What a great idea to grab drinks and go the second floor fireplace! That one is rarely occupied, likely even less so now. We've often found GP busy, and with fewer options, it's likely the go-to place at WL. The weather should be much better the next few days. Enjoy!

^I really enjoy reading your reports and sharing with DH.
Well, "Mark", you need to post a pic with your name tag for those of us that are unable to come see you!
I've always thought I'd be working for the mouse some day. It's the people who make the magic after all. You can have beautiful resorts and incredible rides, but without the cast members to just pull it together with a smile and care, it's all just physical stuff.

So, Mark from LA, do you and your coworkers think Josh Amarro's announcement on the 28000 layoffs will impact HHI? I'm hoping not, I'm hoping it doesn't touch any of the resorts, but he did say "Domestic" along side that word "parks"

That number hurts.

Re: your tag, my sister brought home a "Cindy" Disney name tag from her CP experience for me years ago. She had left hers back at the apt one day and there were a few to choose from, so she was me for a day :). I still want to work for the mouse.
So, SleepyMark it shall be until further notice :teeth:

This statement says it all for me where CMs are concerned. After yesterdays layoffs, I saw where Yeeha Bob, a well known CM was part of that. In response to his sad news, I remarked on his FB page that he, like all CMs, are the reason we as visitors return time and again to WDW. Sure, the attractions are the draw, but the CMs are the lifeblood. And we know what happens when our bodies drain of this, we wither and die. I know its business, I understand. But the top execs have got to find a way to keep the folks who make the boat truly float. Hopefully business will pick up and Disney can re-employ all affected. Sleepy, prayers and Moose Dust the you and Luv will remain intact. They are going to need good folks like you!
Aww, thanks for all the kind words of support. Like CMs in Disney, what makes this thread so marvelous, so worth coming back to time after time, is the kindness of the Groupies. Hey, our thread is the DHHIR CMs equivalent on the DIS! Just sayin'!

Luv and I read with sadness the announcement by D'Amaro. I have mixed emotions to be sure. The virus has thrown every business that isn't an online presence out of whack. I do understand that Disney is a company, and they have to make tough decisions regarding employees. While I don't always agree with Disney (you guys surely know that), I do know that they have been bleeding money but continued to pay the furloughed workers health care costs all these months. The numbers simply haven't come around, and I don't think they will until this crisis is behind us which seems to still be a year or more away, unfortunately. I do believe they'll come roaring back, and when they do, I'd like to think they'll first start hiring those who used to work for them and still wish to.

As for our particular situation, two things to note. First, we are both part-timers and these were jobs we sought simply because they were Disney-related. Should we lose them, it won't truly hurt our bottom line. We only decided to move to HHI knowing that our financial situation was just fine without any sort of work. And, if we were let go, there are plenty of places hiring--lots of resorts need staffing from security to front desk. Second, though Orlando and California theme park employees have been hit hard by this latest news, DHHIR is a different creature. The resort is full, and since it doesn't rely on actual theme parks to have maximum occupancy (HHI is the draw), they've actually been on a hiring spree (all part-timers) especially in my "specialty" of custodial services. One in-processed with me, and three did with Luv yesterday. The other was housekeeping, and Luv is front desk. Anyway, we'll see.

Finally, here's a picture of "Mark". . .from Los Angeles (in a side note, I just found out that apparently I am married to Claire from the Philippines pirate: ).

Signed,
SleepyMark

SleepyMark! Sounds like things are moving right along! I will have to dig out my old name tag, yes, of course I still have it, along with my service pins!

PS....I like your mask, is that Disney issued? I find myself commenting on people’s masks a lot...the new fashion accessory :sad2:

Last edited:
SleepyMark! Sounds like things are moving right along! I will have to dig out my old name tag, yes, of course I still have it, along with my service pins!

PS....I like your mask, is that Disney issued? I find myself commenting on people’s masks a lot...the new fashion accessory :sad2:
What an astute observation about noticing and commenting on masks; it's true--they are the new fashion accessory. Like harem pants, perhaps their time will pass quickly. And, yes, that is a Disney-issued mask. They give you three--two like this one and a third that's a bit broader. They're actually quite comfortable which is good given having to wear them all day.

With that, I leave the Groupies with a picture from a recent sunrise foray to the beach with coffee in hand. . .stay well and be safe!
SleepyMark

I'm peeking in to say hi and I've been trying to catch up on the most recent posts. Congrats to sleepydog on moving and joining the big cheese! We are still a stone's throw away from the Magic Kingdom, although we'd need a park pass to enter. We had a 4-night stay at Riviera resort in September and had a good time. The CMs did a great job with the Covid stuff. We are all in on wearing masks and physical distancing. We ate at The Boathouse just last Thursday and I asked the seater if I could be 'philosophically distanced'. We sat outside and it was a good day indeed. We love The Boathouse.

There is a family that we know, the mother of which is the daughter of my best friend, who is no longer with us. Their youngest daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. It's a horrible cancer and the poor little thing went through a number of operations, radiation treatments and stem cell transplants at Hopkins. Fortunately, they live in Maryland where Hopkins is available. Everybody calls her the 'Warrior Princess.' She is now cancer free from what I know which is a blessing. We donated to their GoFundMe page and I'm going to make a reservation for them, a family of 4 plus my best friend's ex wife, to spend 5 nights at Kidani in December of 2021 in a 2 bedroom savanna view villa. Not charging rent of any sort. It makes me happy to do it. The doctors have okayed the vacation for them

Speaking of December, we'll be at VWL from Dec 6 - Dec 11, pretty much our normal December vacation. We're open to meet-ups of sorts and we'll physical distance and wear masks. Don't want to get Covid-19.

Looking ahead to 2021, we'll be staying 5 nights at VWL around the 50th Anniversary of WDW and also doing Dec 5 - 10 at VWL, the time the family I talked about will be at Kidani. We'll be at Kidani around Thanksgiving. I will try to get on more often. I do have too much time on my hands now that I'm retired. I have been working on my iOS apps to keep me busy. Ciao.

Hi all!
Happy Belated Birthday, Lakegirl! Hope you're having a wonderful trip! We finally made it to that fireplace on our last trip in January. It's a wonderful hideaway. I love all the nooks and crannies at WL, even the ones without fireplaces. And of course, VWL feels like one big hideaway, which is one of the reasons we love it.
SleepyMark: thanks for all your updates and your photos. Except for the alligator, your photos have been relaxing and beautiful :)
As much as I love having a countdown, I am considering taking it down. It was made when my daughter was still teaching and we were planning around a school year schedule. She is on an unpaid LOA and searching for work she can do at home while I help provide part-time, but free, childcare assistance. ( I am limited in what I can do) One of the reasons I haven't been around here much is that I am exhausted! So, there are lots of things up in the air right now, (my husband is thinking of retiring also), and so it's hard to plan for a specific time. Anyhow, I love keeping up with the Groupies, whether I have a countdown or not!
IMG_8167.JPGIMG_8168.JPG

Sleepy thank you for sharing your adventure with us. I gotta say I'm a bit jealous. My sister lives in Myrtle Beach right on the beach. So lucky. She works at a hotel there. She is not a big fan of the tourist season lol. I think things will be better for you though. Enjoy your new and exciting life!!

Good Morning from The Lodge!!! We are here. Our wedding was amazing. The weather was perfect.
Arrived last night. We are on the second floor facing the lake. Ate at Geysers Point last night. We got the Brisket and chips App and split the Turkey sandwich it was delish. A lot more people here than I thought there would be. Glad we stopped at the desk because our magic bands needed some help. They said we need to bring in old ones to be taken off the account. That simply deactivating doesn’t really fix it CM’S have been a delight, super friendly and glad to be here.
MK today and heading out soon.
Todays my Birthday as well!!! It’s going to be a Magical Day!
Congratulations and Happy birthday! Thank you for sharing with us. Sounds like you are having a great time other than the rain.
There is a family that we know, the mother of which is the daughter of my best friend, who is no longer with us. Their youngest daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. It's a horrible cancer and the poor little thing went through a number of operations, radiation treatments and stem cell transplants at Hopkins. Fortunately, they live in Maryland where Hopkins is available. Everybody calls her the 'Warrior Princess.' She is now cancer free from what I know which is a blessing. We donated to their GoFundMe page and I'm going to make a reservation for them, a family of 4 plus my best friend's ex wife, to spend 5 nights at Kidani in December of 2021 in a 2 bedroom savanna view villa. Not charging rent of any sort. It makes me happy to do it. The doctors have okayed the vacation for them
You are so awesome for doing this!!!! My brother had a brain tumor so I understand what families go through in a case like this. What a wonderful gift you are giving them. How I wish we could have done something like that for my brother and parents.

What a year this has been. I am so ready for it to be over. Friday my nieces husband passed away. He was in a single car accident. He ran a stop sign, hit a curb, went airborne and then crashed into a tree. We don't know exactly what happened. If he was distracted or if he suffered a health issue. About 2 years ago he had a small stroke. Needless to day my niece (late 40's) is beyond devastated. This marks the 6th death in my family and friends circle this year. 2 old friends, a sister, a former neighbor, a nephews wife and now my nieces husband.

I am sooo ready for a trip to the world. Needing our happy place right now. We have to hold out for next summer though. So please keep the photos and reports coming. Feels like they lower my blood pressure just looking at them.

I hope everyone is doing well.

@sleepydog25 are you still Sleepy"Mark" or do you have your own name tag now? We are talking about another trip to HHI in the next few years. We enjoyed our last (and first) trip there a few years ago.

What a year this has been. I am so ready for it to be over. Friday my nieces husband passed away. He was in a single car accident. He ran a stop sign, hit a curb, went airborne and then crashed into a tree. We don't know exactly what happened. If he was distracted or if he suffered a health issue. About 2 years ago he had a small stroke. Needless to day my niece (late 40's) is beyond devastated. This marks the 6th death in my family and friends circle this year. 2 old friends, a sister, a former neighbor, a nephews wife and now my nieces husband.

I am sooo ready for a trip to the world. Needing our happy place right now. We have to hold out for next summer though. So please keep the photos and reports coming. Feels like they lower my blood pressure just looking at them.

I hope everyone is doing well.

@sleepydog25 are you still Sleepy"Mark" or do you have your own name tag now? We are talking about another trip to HHI in the next few years. We enjoyed our last (and first) trip there a few years ago.
Gosh I'm so sorry. This is has just been awful for everyone but even worse for some. My condolences on your losses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter