VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

we are trying to figure out what the right thing to do with our Nov quick trip. It was to be for my 50th bday, and we are both vaccinated, but the whole Delta variant is scaring me more this fall than the April trip we went on when we had just been fully vaccinated and they were social distancing and enforcing masks. I just dont know what to do and its getting closer. We are also booked for next spring March 31-April 7th our annual spring trip. We have never been near my birthday and we though we were going to be doing better in the world by then..... hugs to all on here!

Granny
We totally understand your feelings about WDW and moving forward with trips, etc. We too were somewhat in the same boat hoping to take our grands in Feb, but alas, it was not to be. Im with Corinne on this, lets get past this mess and get back to "normal" whatever that may be in the future.

If this continues down the path it is currently taking, we will be selling our points and going other places with less people and taking our money elsewhere. I dont want to too this, but will do so if things keep trickling downhill as they are now. Its a wait and see game for us

I'm not saying we weren't nervous, but we followed the guidelines for our protection and had a very easy trip. We figured if we could handle the airline, we could do just about anything!

I'm not saying we weren't nervous, but we followed the guidelines for our protection and had a very easy trip. We figured if we could handle the airline, we could do just about anything!
We feel the same way. I, more than DH, am concerned, but we have travelled to WDW and Pigeon Forge TN in August.

The Cruise we have planned for Labor Day is between tests Tom needs because he has a spot of cancer on a lung, and there are tests to decide how it will be treated.

Tom, to be honest, I was beginning to worry that I haven’t seen you here in a few weeks, and I knew you had your wonderful trip planned with your family. I completely understand your feelings, and I would be lying if I said I am not anxious about our trip next month. Dana and I went back and forth for days, and we finally made the decision to move forward. I hope we will be ok. We will be wearing masks, and, if need be we will just hang at the pool if we find the crowds overwhelming. We definitely will not be viewing fireworks en masse. I am also disappointed with Disney‘s decisions, and pray we will be moving towards a brighter world soon.

Corinne...thanks for the kind note. Honestly, if we weren't taking my 1 year old grandson, we'd probably go. In fact we have a December trip reserved for just Cindy and I and I think we will go for that one. Kind of a "wait and see" thing, but we are close to the 30 day period to our October trip so I decided just to cancel a few days earlier. I can't imagine what could change between now and a few days from now when we hit the 30 day cancellation mark. I hope you and Dana have a great trip! :)

Granny
We totally understand your feelings about WDW and moving forward with trips, etc. We too were somewhat in the same boat hoping to take our grands in Feb, but alas, it was not to be. Im with Corinne on this, lets get past this mess and get back to "normal" whatever that may be in the future.

If this continues down the path it is currently taking, we will be selling our points and going other places with less people and taking our money elsewhere. I dont want to too this, but will do so if things keep trickling downhill as they are now. Its a wait and see game for us

Jimmy...it looks like you and I took a Disboards hiatius right about the same time. I'd say that "great minds think alike", but in this case it probably doesn't apply. :rolleyes1

I have a fair number of points I need to use up in the next 8 months, so I may very well go the point rental route. It's a nice option to have, and will probably cover the annual dues so that's a nice bonus. But we didn't buy points to rent them, so we'd prefer to go if we can.

What a mess for Disney and their big 50 anniversary celebration. Of course, this is the same company that is celebrating the 50th anniversary by discontinuing Magical Express and charging for Fast Passes. Kind of a weird "thank you note" to their customers. :confused3

Kathy...thank you for your comments. It's good to hear some good news coming out of WDW trips these days. Yes, flying down to Orlando is on our list of concerns but I think we'll be okay with it. As I indicated, if we didn't have an unvaccinated toddler with us, we would probably have gone. As is, we are hoping to still go for our December trip.

Corinne...thanks for the kind note. Honestly, if we weren't taking my 1 year old grandson, we'd probably go. In fact we have a December trip reserved for just Cindy and I and I think we will go for that one. Kind of a "wait and see" thing, but we are close to the 30 day period to our October trip so I decided just to cancel a few days earlier. I can't imagine what could change between now and a few days from now when we hit the 30 day cancellation mark. I hope you and Dana have a great trip! :)
Yes, your toddler must be protected. I hope you be able to have a “rain check“ for this vacation in the future!

Jimmy, so sorry about your loss. I had a memory come up today that had Max in it and that started me tearing up and he has been gone over two years.

Don't know how much I have missed since I have not been able to be on here for months. My son has been in and out of the hospital with UTI's and they finally compromised his shunt and he got an infection in his brain which had to be taken care of before a new shunt could be put back in. It was very touch and go for a while, but he is finally home and getting back to his old self.

Kati and I had a great trip in May and really enjoyed ourselves. We will get to go to SSR for one night in January before a cruise on the Fantasy that we hope to take.
Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.
I'm so glad your son is recovering. That had to be a really scary time.
Happy Saturday Groupie friends! I was checking email this morning and my eyes immediately zeroed in on this:
Disney Vacation Club “We can’t wait to welcome you home”

Which could only mean one thing, our BCV waitlist came through!:cool1:…….It has been so long since our last stay there, it is our favorite resort ((along with VWL, obvi), so very excited.

Nice way to start the day! Hope you all have a great weekend. :goodvibes
Oh nice! For our trip in February we are waitlisting for a couple of nights and nothing has come through yet. Right now we are doing a few days at BLT to start, 2 at SSR then the rest at BWV. We are really hoping to get the 2 at SSR changed to either BLT or BWV. Really don't want to do a 3 way split stay.
Well, I've been missing in action for far too long. I could say that I've been really too busy to post, but honestly that wouldn't be true. I'm just going through a period where thoughts of WDW have been kind of depressing. After I post this, I am heading over to the Member site to cancel our October ten day trip which would have been our first with my daughter, son-in-law and our 1 year old grandson. We had booked BWV...perfect for Food & Wine Festival. I had thought that for sure we'd be past the worst part of this whole Covid mess, but alas Florida is a total mess and Disney isn't helping much with their policies. So I have to go dig through my points and see what the cancellation will do to us. I think I will have to try to rent out some of the points as they may be expiring (already banked in so can't bank again).

I will say that this group continues to be a beacon of hope and friendship. You all are so supportive, and non-judgmental. Bless each of you for your companionship during these tough times.

Jimmy...sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. 18 years is a really long time and even though we know that they will leave us at some point, it is always hard to part with our furry friends.

Corinne...congratulations on your waitlist coming through! I hope you guys have a magical trip at BCV!

Kathy (twokats)...prayers going up for your son and your family as you continue to share in his struggles. I'm so glad that you and Kati got a trip in and enjoyed yourselves for that time. At its best, WDW is an escape and allows us to create such good memories with family and friends.

gretabull....congratulations on passing ROFR and enjoy your new home resort!
Granny sorry you are gonna have to cancel your trip. I see so many people changing or cancelling and it has me hoping I have done the right thing by planning a trip in February. Really thought things would be better by then and I'm really hoping it will be.

Greetings Groupie friends! I know it's been a really, really long time since I last posted. I haven't been on the boards at all for I don't even know how long. A long time we'll say. I popped on to see if the rent trade board was still in existence. You don't know how happy it makes me to see this thread is still going & so many familiar faces are still posting. :)

So much has happened since I last posted. I hope you all have survived it. It does seem like survival is about as good as it gets these days.

I read back a few posts & see there's discussion about canceling trips & selling points. I too have been having the same thoughts. 😓 I have been back to Disney since they reopened, but we canceled our family Christmas trip from 2020. Lost so many points. That hurt. DH & I went for F&G. It was good to be out & about again, but so many of the things that were important to me are gone. CMs mostly. That hurts even more than the loss of points.

I popped on to check on the R/T board because I'm not sure going on my annual F&W trip in Oct is such a good idea. The case numbers are so high & I know Oct is going to bring big crowds. Just not sure it's worth it for a subpar experience. Add to that the endless "temporary" take aways that never come back & the new pay to play Genie+ I'm seriously considering selling my BLT points. Little by little they've chipped away at the magic & I'm sad to say I'm think I'm just about done. I'll see how 2022 plays out to decide if we'll keep our VWL & BCV points.

I'm going to go read back & hope & see some happy news posts. I really do hope you're all doing well. I still often think of my groupie friends. We'll always have the Lodge! ❤

Greetings Groupie friends! I know it's been a really, really long time since I last posted. I haven't been on the boards at all for I don't even know how long. A long time we'll say. I popped on to see if the rent trade board was still in existence. You don't know how happy it makes me to see this thread is still going & so many familiar faces are still posting. :)

So much has happened since I last posted. I hope you all have survived it. It does seem like survival is about as good as it gets these days.

I read back a few posts & see there's discussion about canceling trips & selling points. I too have been having the same thoughts. 😓 I have been back to Disney since they reopened, but we canceled our family Christmas trip from 2020. Lost so many points. That hurt. DH & I went for F&G. It was good to be out & about again, but so many of the things that were important to me are gone. CMs mostly. That hurts even more than the loss of points.

I popped on to check on the R/T board because I'm not sure going on my annual F&W trip in Oct is such a good idea. The case numbers are so high & I know Oct is going to bring big crowds. Just not sure it's worth it for a subpar experience. Add to that the endless "temporary" take aways that never come back & the new pay to play Genie+ I'm seriously considering selling my BLT points. Little by little they've chipped away at the magic & I'm sad to say I'm think I'm just about done. I'll see how 2022 plays out to decide if we'll keep our VWL & BCV points.

I'm going to go read back & hope & see some happy news posts. I really do hope you're all doing well. I still often think of my groupie friends. We'll always have the Lodge! ❤
HORSEY!!!!! So, good to see you on here! Yep, we're still plugging along and going strong. Please don't be a stranger.
Well, I've been missing in action for far too long. I could say that I've been really too busy to post, but honestly that wouldn't be true. I'm just going through a period where thoughts of WDW have been kind of depressing. After I post this, I am heading over to the Member site to cancel our October ten day trip which would have been our first with my daughter, son-in-law and our 1 year old grandson. We had booked BWV...perfect for Food & Wine Festival. I had thought that for sure we'd be past the worst part of this whole Covid mess, but alas Florida is a total mess and Disney isn't helping much with their policies. So I have to go dig through my points and see what the cancellation will do to us. I think I will have to try to rent out some of the points as they may be expiring (already banked in so can't bank again).

I will say that this group continues to be a beacon of hope and friendship. You all are so supportive, and non-judgmental. Bless each of you for your companionship during these tough times.
GRANNY!!!!! Also marvelous to see you back and posting again. As with Horsey, please don't be a stranger! As for your trip you cancelled, there simply is no reason to take a chance. Take care!

Hi Horselover! Nice to hear from you.

Hey Julie! Us ol folks are still hanging around(or hanging on by a Thread) :goodvibes Glad to see you here and as Sleepy says,
dont be a stranger

Granny, we are back in the Beech Mt. area in NC for a much needed getaway(work is kicking me tail). Whilst here, Casey and I ran into a store to get coffee filters, and Poof:wizard: I come out with 2 Civil War historical fiction books in my hand, previously signed by the author, Dr. Edward Aronoff. But Im bummed that its a trilogy and Vol 2 is not to be found. So in his books he has a website to find more books. So I proceed there but the Vol 2 is no longer available in print, but in tablet form. I like a good book in my hands, not on the computer. Call me old, it is what it is:thumbsup2
But he also left his personal email and says to write if I would like to purchase products this way too. So I wrote him and tell him we are at Beech for a long week and turns out, though he is from NY, he has a home here also and says we can meet up and he can sign book for me as he has copies. Im stoked to say the least and he is also bringing a copy of Lees memoirs of his wartime records that were never compiled before Lee passed away. He has many letters and documents in his possession of Lees original writings that helped him write the book. I knew this may be of some interest to you.

Hey Groupies - just got an email about DVC Annual Passes starting 9/8 - More $$ (expected) and no Photo Pass included (not expected) - Sigh. Luckily, my renewal date is 9/3-the site says I can renew my old Gold - hopefully at the old price and w/PP.

Good morning Groupies. Today me and the wife are lazing about at HHI. Our first DVC trip since COVID hit. Yesterday I was sitting at the pool ( in the evening, when it wasn’t crowded) and some folks plopped down in the chairs right next to us. I was creeped out briefly, lol. But, that’s why we got vaccinated, right? So we didn’t have to worry?

Back when my wife’s family dragged me to WDW, years ago, I used to call WDW “Diseases of the World”. People packed in like sardines, elbow to elbow, coughing and hacking. I always got sick at some point during the week. So I ask myself, “Self, what has really changed? Is the world actually that much more unsafe than it used to be?”

I try to be prudent. I run away ( literally, lol) if someone appears to be ill. But, I take solace in the fact that God is still in control.

WDW is changing. And not for the better, from what I can tell. Me and the wife discuss the value of owning DVC, if we never visit the parks. We have done a Resort only WDW vacation and enjoyed it, but a steady diet of parkless WDW vacations seems like a waste of $. Alas! I wish I had a crystal ball! :joker:

So, “chin up“ Groupies! I love you guys! ( I have been lurking on this thread, longer than I can remember) Stay safe. Do what you need to do. Don’t be strangers ( I’m talking to you, Granny). Maybe I’ll cya at WDW some day 8-)

HORSEY!!!!! So, good to see you on here! Yep, we're still plugging along and going strong. Please don't be a stranger.

Ah Sly. The only one that can call me horsey & not have it sound like an insult. :laughing: Good to see you here. I will try to not be a stranger, but I make no promises. I've said that before. :rolleyes:

Hi Horselover! Nice to hear from you.

Thanks. Nice to see you too.

Hey Julie! Us ol folks are still hanging around(or hanging on by a Thread) :goodvibes Glad to see you here and as Sleepy says,
dont be a stranger

Hi Jimmy. Thanks. I was sorry to read about your cat passing. That's always so hard. :sad1: Our Lily is going to be 16 in Nov. She's deaf now & also has kidney disease. At her last check up the vet said prepare for a year at most. That's going to be a sad day, but at least she had a good long life.

Saw today's AP news. I renewed my Gold pass back in May. It will probably be my last AP. ☹

Ah Sly. The only one that can call me horsey & not have it sound like an insult. :laughing: Good to see you here. I will try to not be a stranger, but I make no promises. I've said that before. :rolleyes:
pirate: As you know, it has always been meant with affection. ;)

Good morning Groupies. Today me and the wife are lazing about at HHI. Our first DVC trip since COVID hit. Yesterday I was sitting at the pool ( in the evening, when it wasn’t crowded) and some folks plopped down in the chairs right next to us. I was creeped out briefly, lol. But, that’s why we got vaccinated, right? So we didn’t have to worry?

So, “chin up“ Groupies! I love you guys! ( I have been lurking on this thread, longer than I can remember) Stay safe. Do what you need to do. Don’t be strangers ( I’m talking to you, Granny). Maybe I’ll cya at WDW some day 8-)
I hope your stay will be a marvelous one, and perhaps we'll cross paths. I work tomorrow, though it will be running around on one of those golf cart looking vehicles with a canopy covered loading bed on the back. My position tomorrow is to run clean linens and supplies to rooms and haul the used ones (and trash) away. Chances are that I'll be covering the "back 40," AKA Bldgs 21-31. Cheers!
Patrick

I hope your stay will be a marvelous one, and perhaps we'll cross paths. I work tomorrow, though it will be running around on one of those golf cart looking vehicles with a canopy covered loading bed on the back. My position tomorrow is to run clean linens and supplies to rooms and haul the used ones (and trash) away. Chances are that I'll be covering the "back 40," AKA Bldgs 21-31. Cheers!
Patrick

I know. :)

Wait, are you working at DW now? Fill me in please!

I know. :)

Wait, are you working at DW now? Fill me in please!
At their resort in HHI! Moved to HHI nearly a year ago and picked up a part-time gig with the custodial department--best job here! I also cross-trained so that I often work as a housekeeping attendant...essentially a bar back for the housekeepers. I haul clean linens and supplies to them, and then haul away the used linens and trash. In between, I run items to guests or housekeepers, as needed. For example, if you run out of coffee on any given morning, you'd call the front desk who would, in turn, contact an attendant (like me!) to grab some and take it to the room.

My custodial duties are generally assigned to the main pool area at the primary resort, the front desk building (Live Oak Lodge), or the Beach House. Again, it's a super job for the most part, and I love what I do. Have met both bobbiwoz and jimmytammy there during their trips to the resort. Come on over! It's a real vacation spot where you can relax, enjoy life, and eat some great food! pirate:

Patrick

Having a great time here at HHI, except for this guy who keeps hassling me about an unpaid “membership fee.” What’s that all about? :joker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter