VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Re: KAT's shower picture, I still love that theme. I never tire of it. See, I like theming. This was/still mostly is the Villas at Disney's WILDERNESS Lodge, not the New Rooms at Disney's Bland Resort. If I want muted tones and genteel theming, Disney now has plenty of resorts like that, and pretty much any mid-level hotel/motel chain does, too. Poly used to have very nice thematic elements--you were swept away to a new land. Now? Meh. Just a conglomeration of nods to island living. I personally believe Disney made a big mistake deciding to go neutral all on their builds/refurbs of the past 8-10 years.

And, have a great weekend, Groupies!

Re: KAT's shower picture, I still love that theme. I never tire of it. See, I like theming. This was/still mostly is the Villas at Disney's WILDERNESS Lodge, not the New Rooms at Disney's Bland Resort. If I want muted tones and genteel theming, Disney now has plenty of resorts like that, and pretty much any mid-level hotel/motel chain does, too. Poly used to have very nice thematic elements--you were swept away to a new land. Now? Meh. Just a conglomeration of nods to island living. I personally believe Disney made a big mistake deciding to go neutral all on their builds/refurbs of the past 8-10 years.

And, have a great weekend, Groupies!

I believe you're right. Bring back the color theming! I miss the rich tones that defined the resorts.

Since we're into nostalgia, here are some of the old designs that we are pining for...

VWL old 1.jpg

I know that Muushka always hated that couch. Certainly a lot going on with the designs here, and you can't call it subtle! :)

That black & white checked chair was always interesting to me...didn't see how it fit in at all.

VWL old interior.jpg

Then they updated the chair to this snazzy look .

VWL old 2.jpg

We never stayed in a studio but here's the sofa design there....probably a lot better look than the 1BR sofa in the living room.

Loved that carved headboard!

Though I've stayed at BRV (VWL) 20-30 times over the years, I don't really recall too many of the room details. I guess I don't pay that much attention, which is probably a major fault of mine. I am really enjoying all of the photos because some of the stuff definitely looks familiar.

Last edited:
I loved the blinds! And the headboard too
My thoughts on why things were so mismatched in those days...the rooms always reminded me of a lake house getaway, therefore it was like a hodge podge of things maybe brought in from another place, seemed to work in that corner, so lets put there.
Not sure, might be totally off base, but just my 2 cents

YES! I love that old design. That checked chair pre-dates the time I began calling VWL home, though. I do like the mismatched stuff and really loved that sofa sleeper design. Headboards were perfect. Modern? No. But, all those things were very appropriate, and as JT states, I think it was by, ahem, design. They could have done a similar thing with the refurbs, just newer takes on the classic theme. I think when they do get around to the next full refurbishment, almost all of the old charm will be gone. . .sadly.

Loved the old studio decor. I also loved the old AKV studio decor. Now things are white and light and it seems less like Disney theming and more like a regular hotel. I used to love the look of the old bedspreads (I know unsanitary), the patterned carpet (yup another biological nightmare) and the patterned furniture. The lobbies and the buildings still have that feeling though and there is a joy that enters my soul just walking into the lobbies.

I loved the blinds! And the headboard too
My thoughts on why things were so mismatched in those days...the rooms always reminded me of a lake house getaway, therefore it was like a hodge podge of things maybe brought in from another place, seemed to work in that corner, so lets put there.
Not sure, might be totally off base, but just my 2 cents

That was always my take on it too Jimmy. I thought it was the design to reflect the second getaway house with odds and ends brought in to fill the spots.

But I did like the studio couch way more than the 1BR!

I loved the dark green on the kitchen cabinets woodwork. I'd never do that at home, and I think that was part of the appeal.

Fashion and decor change with time, but I have to wonder if the reason why the simple, plain designs have taken hold in many resorts around the globe is because for some time there people were vacationing too frequently. As such they weren't looking for full immersion into a different world.

If that trend backs off and people vacation less, will we see a return to richer decor again?

I loved the dark green on the kitchen cabinets woodwork. I'd never do that at home, and I think that was part of the appeal.

Fashion and decor change with time, but I have to wonder if the reason why the simple, plain designs have taken hold in many resorts around the globe is because for some time there people were vacationing too frequently. As such they weren't looking for full immersion into a different world.

If that trend backs off and people vacation less, will we see a return to richer decor again?
That would be nice, to see a return to their roots. I don't think it will happen, and a large reason is that by focusing less on theming, there is less cost to for Disney to endure. Less odd lots; lots of mass purchases (I swear they use the same couch in all the new builds and refurbs). Less actual research, too. If you're using the same basic palette, I can see savings in doing so. The new SSR units, to me, appear to have the same color scheme as Riviera--muted gray, brown, cream. I can't see them turning back the clock. . .unfortunately.

In other news, a well-known investment site published a well-written and argued article about why they think Disney will re-open this summer, vice fall or even 2021 (as some have opined). Three reasons are given, and they make sense. Now, I don't know what Disney will do, and I'm conflicted about when Disney--heck, the entire country--should reboot. However, this is a well-reasoned piece. If you're interested, the site sounds a little like Motley Crue--I won't post the actual site in case the mods would object. ;)

One more "vintage" studio view. My nephew moved in a couple of hours later - it did NOT look like this again! haha

p678812680-4.jpg

And another 1BR living room for good measure - post black and white checkered chair. :)

p1736678371-4.jpg

Good article Sleepy! I hope his predictions are right, but its a wait and see for sure. I do agree with him on one point, Disney will not be the 1st theme/amusement park to reopen. I see smaller places like Carowinds, Six Flags pulling the plug and going for it. Then Disney will slowly follow along.

I feel for the 100k plus CMs who no longer draw a salary as like most folks here, we know a few, personally, or just by going to the parks and becoming friends with them through the years. I pray for those folks.

I know Bob Iger and his team are doing all they can to keep things afloat, and I commend them for doing so. Prays for them as well. Its trickling down to us, some of Disneys biggest fans and those with invested interests.

When its all said and done, I truly believe we will be a better people in the end. We will all have shared this common bond, and we will be understanding of one another a bit more. Thats a good thing! Its the uncertainty, the not knowing, when, oh when will we be there!! Prayers for it to end soon ::yes::

Hi everyone! Gosh it has been forever since I have checked in on here. Been kind of hard because we haven't been able to afford to go to WDW for years. Haven't been there since 2014. We live in AZ now so we have been to DL once but it isn't the same. So it's kind of been hard to go on here and see everyone going on their trips. Sorry about that. I do think about you all though and hope you are all doing well. Great to see so many familiar people still on here! Still love the lodge and dream about going there again. We are hoping to maybe make a trip next spring. I can't even imagine what all will be different. Copper Canyon wasn't built back then. I don't think we will be able to afford to stay at the Lodge but we will visit and hopefully eat at Whispering Canyon. Please keep your fingers crossed that we will be able to make the trip! Take care!!!!

Hi everyone! Gosh it has been forever since I have checked in on here. Been kind of hard because we haven't been able to afford to go to WDW for years. Haven't been there since 2014. We live in AZ now so we have been to DL once but it isn't the same. So it's kind of been hard to go on here and see everyone going on their trips. Sorry about that. I do think about you all though and hope you are all doing well. Great to see so many familiar people still on here! Still love the lodge and dream about going there again. We are hoping to maybe make a trip next spring. I can't even imagine what all will be different. Copper Canyon wasn't built back then. I don't think we will be able to afford to stay at the Lodge but we will visit and hopefully eat at Whispering Canyon. Please keep your fingers crossed that we will be able to make the trip! Take care!!!!

Hi DLI! Good to "see" you!!! I'll keep the fingers crossed for you.
I hope your furbabies are doing well! :dog:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter