VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

As far as the covid shot - both Ian and I are on several waiting lists here in Dallas county - and neighboring counties hoping we can get it sooner rather than later. We both have health issues that put us in the 1B catagory. I am not going to feel comfortable going this summer if we don't have both doses at least several weeks before we are supposed to be there. But I think we will.

Happy Tuesday Groupies. Very wet heavy snow here in Mass. I worked from home yesterday and today. I am trying to decide if I want to add on Resale BLT or Direct Riveria. We visited Riveria in December and fell in love. Right now the”deal” direct is. It that much more than resale. Yes it’s more but not what it has been in the past. Seems Disney has been buying back a lot of resale contracts the past couple of months.

LG...I think the answer to whether to buy Riviera direct depends on how you see yourself using the contract. Would it be to book "hard to reserve" villa classifications at the 11 month mark? Or would it be more of owning at a place you like and being able to book it more readily than at the 7 month window?

Riviera is a pretty big resort but I think in Disney's mind it is the "new Grand Floridian" of this era in that it is upscale with unique transportation options. And with the additions to DHS, I think that park will be a big destination park to enhance Riviera's location. So I think demand for reservations will remain strong there.

We like BLT a lot, so that's a great option as well. You really can't go wrong, though the restrictions on Riviera resale potentially could diminish the value of selling if it comes to that. Still, we don't buy DVC with a focus on selling it, so it really comes down to what you want. Of course, Riviera also offers a longer lifespan than BLT resale, so that can be an influence as well. Good luck! :)

One thing I did notice as he was walking into the main entrance of the lodge - where is bell services? Is it still being offered? If not can we use the carts? Am I telling everyone without actually saying it that I do not know how to pack light? :teeth: I mean come on - 4 adults 3 of which are women for 11 nights with enough groceries to cook just about all of our own meals - we are going to need that help!

Jen...Bell services is in the Guest Services area...has been for a couple of years now. So it's at the end of the registration area. Did you see something in the video that indicates that it is no longer there? I'm quite sure that Bell Services does exist at WL. :)

Jen...Bell services is in the Guest Services area...has been for a couple of years now. So it's at the end of the registration area. Did you see something in the video that indicates that it is no longer there? I'm quite sure that Bell Services does exist at WL. :)
Without looking at the video again, perhaps that shot didn't show any bell services outside? When we were there in early December, no one was outside when we pulled up. We stepped out of the car with a load of things--suitcases, cooler, bags--and waited. A couple of minutes went by and nothing, no one. A couple of other vehicles did the same, and no one was helping them. All that to say, I don't know if they expect you to go inside to request help or not. Honestly, we like having bell services and feel it should be a very visible portion of the experience at a deluxe resort. No luggage carts were outside, either. I stepped into the lobby to see if there were any CMs just caught inside helping others, and the answer was "no." A couple seemed to be milling around what is the bell services desk and that was it.

It's a small thing and a bit petty minded, but my thought process was that if our presence (and those of other guests outside waiting) weren't of enough consequence to staff the drive through, then we'd do it ourselves and save $10 in tips. So, we pulled through, parked, and hauled things up ourselves. pirate: It was harder than it should have been, and while I recognize Disney is attempting to defray some costs, when something so simple as checking in becomes just like walking into a Comfort Inn, then the value is diluted. Now, that won't stop me from going back, mind you.;)

It's a small thing and a bit petty minded, but my thought process was that if our presence (and those of other guests outside waiting) weren't of enough consequence to staff the drive through, then we'd do it ourselves and save $10 in tips. So, we pulled through, parked, and hauled things up ourselves. pirate: It was harder than it should have been, and while I recognize Disney is attempting to defray some costs, when something so simple as checking in becomes just like walking into a Comfort Inn, then the value is diluted. Now, that won't stop me from going back, mind you.;)

Sleepy...thanks for the additional intel. Wow, that's really strange! :confused3

We know that valet and bell services have been outsourced by Disney...they are no longer CMs for a few years now. Maybe the contract is up for renewal/negotiation? Still, it's so hard to believe that Disney would let it get to the point where there was no valet/bell services. Especially because, for the WL campus, DVC owners are paying for 2/3 of the cost!

Sleepy...thanks for the additional intel. Wow, that's really strange! :confused3

We know that valet and bell services have been outsourced by Disney...they are no longer CMs for a few years now. Maybe the contract is up for renewal/negotiation? Still, it's so hard to believe that Disney would let it get to the point where there was no valet/bell services. Especially because, for the WL campus, DVC owners are paying for 2/3 of the cost!
True, they have been outsourced, and perhaps that's a large part of the issue. I forgot to add that no one was waiting outside for us to greet us, either. No front desk person, no bell services, and definitely no ranger. I realize that covid makes Disney want to limit contact, so perhaps those things will return in the future. However, there is a way to make that happen if management wants it badly enough. Where I work is proof--we go the extra mile. It's a state of mind.

True, they have been outsourced, and perhaps that's a large part of the issue. I forgot to add that no one was waiting outside for us to greet us, either. No front desk person, no bell services, and definitely no ranger. I realize that covid makes Disney want to limit contact, so perhaps those things will return in the future. However, there is a way to make that happen if management wants it badly enough. Where I work is proof--we go the extra mile. It's a state of mind.
Oh so there wasn't anyone there to say Welcome Home? If not that is really disappointing. That is one of the things I look forward to.

So they didn't even have the carts available to help take stuff up? I don't mind lugging it up myself - IF I have a cart to help. It's not like the parking lot is exactly close.

Oh so there wasn't anyone there to say Welcome Home? If not that is really disappointing. That is one of the things I look forward to.
No. Perhaps it was an off day, but that makes the second time in our last two trips "home" that has happened. In fact, the drive through area was nearly dead. I think there was one valet who was talking to someone over in the corner where the outside greet kiosk is, but that was it. I realize that times have changed with the pandemic cutting occupancy rates, but the Lodge is now 2/3 DVC which is wide open. . .and we were there the first week of December so they were nearly fully if not entirely booked. Again, I feel this is a local management issue more than Disney policy.

So they didn't even have the carts available to help take stuff up? I don't mind lugging it up myself - IF I have a cart to help. It's not like the parking lot is exactly close.
They did have luggage carts inside over where the bell services desk is now located. However, I darn sure wasn't going to walk over there and ask to use one, as if they were doing me a favor. If they had come to me and offered to help or offered a cart, sure. But, I'm big on customer service, and in this case, they were entrenched inside and not offering us squat. Again, it was a bit petty on my part, and I admit it; however, we were very disappointed in showing up to our beloved Lodge only to feel as though we were at any moderately priced interstate hotel for all the warmth we felt. Thankfully, the Lodge by its very nature is a comfort and a boon to our state of mind.

No. Perhaps it was an off day, but that makes the second time in our last two trips "home" that has happened. In fact, the drive through area was nearly dead. I think there was one valet who was talking to someone over in the corner where the outside greet kiosk is, but that was it. I realize that times have changed with the pandemic cutting occupancy rates, but the Lodge is now 2/3 DVC which is wide open. . .and we were there the first week of December so they were nearly fully if not entirely booked. Again, I feel this is a local management issue more than Disney policy.

They did have luggage carts inside over where the bell services desk is now located. However, I darn sure wasn't going to walk over there and ask to use one, as if they were doing me a favor. If they had come to me and offered to help or offered a cart, sure. But, I'm big on customer service, and in this case, they were entrenched inside and not offering us squat. Again, it was a bit petty on my part, and I admit it; however, we were very disappointed in showing up to our beloved Lodge only to feel as though we were at any moderately priced interstate hotel for all the warmth we felt. Thankfully, the Lodge by its very nature is a comfort and a boon to our state of mind.
Boy I guess the days of Ranger Stan are long gone. How sad.

LG...I think the answer to whether to buy Riviera direct depends on how you see yourself using the contract. Would it be to book "hard to reserve" villa classifications at the 11 month mark? Or would it be more of owning at a place you like and being able to book it more readily than at the 7 month window?

Riviera is a pretty big resort but I think in Disney's mind it is the "new Grand Floridian" of this era in that it is upscale with unique transportation options. And with the additions to DHS, I think that park will be a big destination park to enhance Riviera's location. So I think demand for reservations will remain strong there.

We like BLT a lot, so that's a great option as well. You really can't go wrong, though the restrictions on Riviera resale potentially could diminish the value of selling if it comes to that. Still, we don't buy DVC with a focus on selling it, so it really comes down to what you want. Of course, Riviera also offers a longer lifespan than BLT resale, so that can be an influence as well. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much for your input. I really value it.

That stinks! I guess I will be walking in and letting them know we either need them or 2 carts as we will be there for 11 nights and have groceries with us. I really don't mind loading and pushing the carts myself - but I do mind the multiple trips from the parking lot to the room and back - over and over again to get everything into the room. If that ends up being our reality - the resort manager as well as DVC will be having a nice little chat with me.

That stinks! I guess I will be walking in and letting them know we either need them or 2 carts as we will be there for 11 nights and have groceries with us. I really don't mind loading and pushing the carts myself - but I do mind the multiple trips from the parking lot to the room and back - over and over again to get everything into the room. If that ends up being our reality - the resort manager as well as DVC will be having a nice little chat with me.
11 nights sounds like a dream!!! Enjoy!

Based on the occupancy in the video (the place looked like a ghost town) I suspect it is really hard to justify staffing bell services right now...

When we stayed at DVC's in the past we would always pay extra for towel and trash service everyday. Are they still doing this with covid? I really don't need them to come everyday to take the towels and trash but I wanna make sure I don't run out of towels. Will they just bring me more if I ask?

Hello Groupies! Well I have finally retired. Two weeks in and am loving it. I had been working from home for the last year before retiring, but it was time.

Since Dec in Ontario, we have been in full lockdown with only essential stores allowed to open. Only household members are allowed in the house, unless for an essential service - furnace repairs, medical visit etc.. Vaccination roll out is slow and it is unknown when my husband and I can get vaccinated, and when things can start to return to normal. I am starting to go a little shack-whacky.

I have spent this down time planning trips - both Disney and non-Disney. My last trip to Disney vWL was Feb 2020 just before the world came to a screeching halt with COVID in March. Since then there have been multiple cancelled trips. I just recently renewed my APs so I could make park reservations for my potential upcoming trips.

My next trip is planned for Sept 13 - 24th to use previously banked points that I will lose on 1 Oct 2021. The plan is to drive down, if travel will be OK by then and we get the vaccination. I will use my best judgement in May, and if it does not look likely, I will put those points into RCI. My next trip planned is Dec 1-10th at AKL - Jambo. I really hope that trip is a go. Christmas is my absolutely favorite time of year at Disney.

As far as the new decorations at vWL go, I have liked each new reno less and less. I loved the heavily themed rooms and patterned couches, the dark woods, and while I recognize that the bed spreads were experiments in biological warfare, the stark white beds make it look like any other hotel room with a dumpster view.

Hello Groupies! Well I have finally retired. Two weeks in and am loving it. I had been working from home for the last year before retiring, but it was time.

Since Dec in Ontario, we have been in full lockdown with only essential stores allowed to open. Only household members are allowed in the house, unless for an essential service - furnace repairs, medical visit etc.. Vaccination roll out is slow and it is unknown when my husband and I can get vaccinated, and when things can start to return to normal. I am starting to go a little shack-whacky.

I have spent this down time planning trips - both Disney and non-Disney. My last trip to Disney vWL was Feb 2020 just before the world came to a screeching halt with COVID in March. Since then there have been multiple cancelled trips. I just recently renewed my APs so I could make park reservations for my potential upcoming trips.

My next trip is planned for Sept 13 - 24th to use previously banked points that I will lose on 1 Oct 2021. The plan is to drive down, if travel will be OK by then and we get the vaccination. I will use my best judgement in May, and if it does not look likely, I will put those points into RCI. My next trip planned is Dec 1-10th at AKL - Jambo. I really hope that trip is a go. Christmas is my absolutely favorite time of year at Disney.

As far as the new decorations at vWL go, I have liked each new reno less and less. I loved the heavily themed rooms and patterned couches, the dark woods, and while I recognize that the bed spreads were experiments in biological warfare, the stark white beds make it look like any other hotel room with a dumpster view.
Congratulations on your retirement! It sounds like you guys are much more restricted than we are. Wow. I was hoping we could get our vaccinations before our trip in April but I can tell that won't happen. We will be going anyway. We rented points so I don't think we can push it back a second time. I agree with everything to said about the new reno.

When we stayed at DVC's in the past we would always pay extra for towel and trash service everyday. Are they still doing this with covid? I really don't need them to come everyday to take the towels and trash but I wanna make sure I don't run out of towels. Will they just bring me more if I ask?
Yes they will. I usually try to catch someone in the hall, if not I call down and they usually bring a ton I think so they don’t have to come back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter