VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

DLI,
This shows you how redneck I am. When Tammy and I got married in 1990, she suggested we go to WDW. Dummy me, I thought that's way more than I could afford at the time, so I said no to that. I know, I know, cant believe I declined that, but I was naive in those days.

Anywho, so she found this place in Dahlonega, GA, the next town over from Dawsonville. Well I started planning what all we were going to do on our Honeymoon. 1 hr from Atlanta, lets go see the Braves play and while there, visit with my great Uncle and Aunt in Alpharetta. My Uncle Sam never met a stranger(Hmm, maybe that's where I get it from)and he used to work in Baltimore as a conductor on Amtrak before retiring in GA so he met a lot of dignitaries including Presidents, ballplayers, etc. on the train. I asked him if he knew where Dale Murphy lived and he proceeds to pull me right up to his front door and tells me to ring the door bell. I just told him I was good getting a picture of his house(scared Dale was going to get me arrested on my Honeymoon)

Another stop was at Bill Elliotts shop. Since you know who he is, this was the time in his career where he was still running cars out of his shop in Dawsonville with his family, and he was driving the blue car with Coors Light as the sponsor. SO we went to his museum and saw what we could of his secretive shop. Then we went to the Dawsonville Pool Room where they sound the alarm if Bill(or now Chase)wins a race. Thats how redneck, backwoodsy I am! :rotfl2:
That is so cool!!! I root for Bills kid who is driving now. I also know who Dale Murphy is and he seems so nice he probably would have welcomed you in lol. Oh and funny Bill Elliott story. Many years ago there was a charity soft ball game played in my home town in PA. It was to benefit a drag racer who was paralyzed in a race. The game was dragsters VS Nascar. OMG it was so much fun. Anyway Bill was a much better driver than a baseball player. He could not throw a ball lol.

That is so cool!!! I root for Bills kid who is driving now. I also know who Dale Murphy is and he seems so nice he probably would have welcomed you in lol. Oh and funny Bill Elliott story. Many years ago there was a charity soft ball game played in my home town in PA. It was to benefit a drag racer who was paralyzed in a race. The game was dragsters VS Nascar. OMG it was so much fun. Anyway Bill was a much better driver than a baseball player. He could not throw a ball lol.
I dont pay as much attn to Nascar as I did many yrs ago, but I do like to see Chase do well. I was a Bill Elliott and Richard Petty fan in those days. They were among a dying breed in those days, guys who could and would still work on their cars when needed.

Is there any type of splash pad area at WL or just pools/hot tubs?

If so, I know that there are usually signs that it's for kids under 48 inches tall. How picky are they about that? My son is 10 and taller than that (maybe 53 inches or so now.) He's autistic and doesn't technically swim (he just walks around shallow end) but he loves splash pads.

(Of course, it may be too cold for any of this in January but was just curious anyway.)

If so, I know that there are usually signs that it's for kids under 48 inches tall. How picky are they about that? My son is 10 and taller than that (maybe 53 inches or so now.) He's autistic and doesn't technically swim (he just walks around shallow end) but he loves splash pads.

(Of course, it may be too cold for any of this in January but was just curious anyway.)
There is a splash pad over by the main WL pool. I do not know how picky they are on the height though.

I have so many questions for our upcoming stay, you would think I was a newbie. :)

Would anyone happen to remember which brand of K-Cups are provided? At HHI resort they had the Disney brand (castle logo). While they were pretty, the coffee was not something I like at all. I was planning on bringing some from home. Thanks!

Are there still Disney Photopass Photographers out and about at the Wilderness Lodge right now?

My husbands whole family will be together at Disney next week for the first in forever, and I'd love to get some family photos done while we are there. We encountered photographers while we were there before, but of course the one time I really want them to be there, they might not be! :)

I have so many questions for our upcoming stay, you would think I was a newbie. :)

Would anyone happen to remember which brand of K-Cups are provided? At HHI resort they had the Disney brand (castle logo). While they were pretty, the coffee was not something I like at all. I was planning on bringing some from home. Thanks!
I'm fairly certain it's the co-branded Joffrey coffee (with the castle logo).

Joffrey's is the exclusive coffee provider at Disney parks and resorts in the US.

We used the WL splash area a lot on our trip in October. It is a fun area that our 3 year old and 1 year old grandchildren enjoyed a lot. There is a general splash area, with a huge bucket on top of the slide structure that spills out water into the splash area every couple of minutes. There is a basic kiddie water slide as well as an enclosed kiddie tube slide.

There was always a lifeguard in the area, but honestly I don't think they will police the height limitations as long as it's not bigger kids muscling their way on the slides and splash area. In fact, I don't recall a sign with a height restriction. My recollection is that there was a sign with an age limit (which is certainly less than 10). But again, I really don't think they will enforce anything as long as his presence is not disruptive to the toddlers in the area.

I found a picture I took at the splash area. Unfortunately, I cannot read the sign with the rules.

WL Splash.jpg

I took this in January 2020. However, I agree that if your son doesn’t do anything that impedes the littles from doing their thing, you should be fine.
IMG_0033.jpeg

Thanks! He's not likely to do anything that would bother little kids. Developmentally he's actually much more in line with kindergarten aged children. And he's on the smaller end for his age too (about 50th percentile for height and 2nd percentile weight.) Obviously if we try to go over there and the lifeguard asks us to leave, we will. But we might give it a shot if he's not super into the pool.

Thanks! He's not likely to do anything that would bother little kids. Developmentally he's actually much more in line with kindergarten aged children. And he's on the smaller end for his age too (about 50th percentile for height and 2nd percentile weight.) Obviously if we try to go over there and the lifeguard asks us to leave, we will. But we might give it a shot if he's not super into the pool.
Clara
IMO, you know your DS better than anyone and you know most likely how he will react around the situation. I for one say go for it! I think the lifeguards would be fine with him being there and you would know the triggers if something bothers him to the point of needing to get him elsewhere. Moose Dust :wizard:coming your way for all to go well for you folks!

Thanks! We leave 2 months from today!! I'm glad we have Thanksgiving and Christmas to keep me occupied and help the time go quicker. I'm getting antsy. I've missed the parks, especially Epcot, a lot over the past almost 12 years! This is almost the biggest gap I've had between WDW trips. I went as a kid in 1987, 1991, 1995. Then I didn't go again until I was an adult in 2008. (Then again in 2010 and 2012.) Just crossing my fingers that my son likes it and doesn't seem to miss Disneyland too much.

Thanks! We leave 2 months from today!! I'm glad we have Thanksgiving and Christmas to keep me occupied and help the time go quicker. I'm getting antsy. I've missed the parks, especially Epcot, a lot over the past almost 12 years! This is almost the biggest gap I've had between WDW trips. I went as a kid in 1987, 1991, 1995. Then I didn't go again until I was an adult in 2008. (Then again in 2010 and 2012.) Just crossing my fingers that my son likes it and doesn't seem to miss Disneyland too much.
You’re going in a pretty slow time of year, so hopefully, you won’t have to deal with crowds in the pool and splash pad areas. And, like you said, this could all be moot because of January temps! What a wonderful thing to look forward to after the craziness of the holidays!

When we went to WDW last time...February 2012...we were staying at Pop Century. In my life I've only ever stayed at All Star Sports, Pop Century, and Port Orleans Riverside. For fun last time, my husband and I decided to take the boat from MK over to Wilderness Lodge just to walk around because we always thought the hotel looked so nice. We just wandered around the lobby and geyser area a bit. I remember taking a bunch of pictures and thinking "I will never be able to stay here." So to say I'm excited to finally get the chance would be an understatement! I felt the same way about the Grand Californian when we were finally able to stay there this year for the first time. I'll be curious to see if we like WL just as much as the Grand Cal.

I just had to go look through the old pictures we took in 2012. And this one is probably one of my favorites. I'm not really sure where this spot is. Maybe the way to the boat launch? Does this still exist?

View attachment 812399
It does! And you are correct, it's on the way to the boat launch for the MK (and after 3pm, to the CR and FW). You are going to have a wonderful trip, the WL is my absolute favorite resort, can't wait to be back in September. It's definitely a unique resort, a great place to return after a busy park day. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes! And make sure you leave some time to actually explore the hotel itself. There are so many nooks and quiet spots to sit and relax - many by fireplaces!

Last edited:
I just had to go look through the old pictures we took in 2012. And this one is probably one of my favorites. I'm not really sure where this spot is. Maybe the way to the boat launch? Does this still exist?

View attachment 812399
I love taking pics like this, where the pathway disappears out of sight. In this case the boat dock to/from the MK and other resorts is just around a bend or two away. These style pics bring my memories and imagination to life!

Wonderful image! Thank you for sharing! 💕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter