VWL Groupies...yes, we love the Lodge, a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't count today, and we don't count Friday -- FOUR MORE DAYS!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's me, screaming with excitement!)

Went out today and tried to find some sort of strange conglomeration of swimwear to wear to Blizzard Beach. I've heard stories of things flying off and out at that place!!!!! Swimsuit / waterwear shopping is never fun.

I found a one-piece on clearance that stood up well to the "jump around and flail your arms all over the place" test. Found a jogging skort to wear over it for some coverage on the lower half.

Menfolk, you don't know how easy you have it when it comes to swim attire! :rotfl2:

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a bunch of laundry, cleaning, and some packing.

If we don't count today, and we don't count Friday -- FOUR MORE DAYS!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's me, screaming with excitement!)

Went out today and tried to find some sort of strange conglomeration of swimwear to wear to Blizzard Beach. I've heard stories of things flying off and out at that place!!!!! Swimsuit / waterwear shopping is never fun.

I found a one-piece on clearance that stood up well to the "jump around and flail your arms all over the place" test. Found a jogging skort to wear over it for some coverage on the lower half.

Menfolk, you don't know how easy you have it when it comes to swim attire! :rotfl2:

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a bunch of laundry, cleaning, and some packing.

Exciting! (the 4 days - NOT the swimsuit shopping! lol)

Are you going to do Summit Plummet at BB? We went to that park for the first time ever on our trip a few weeks ago. I decided that would be our first slide - might as well go for the gusto! Wow! Crazy! A one piece is a must and even then the suit gets moved around in ways you wouldn't have thought possible. :lmao:

Hello VWL groupies!

I want my first real post to be on this thread because the VWL is our family favorite and such a special resort.

We have so many wonderful memories there and I can't wait to come back. It's been a few years since we stayed, but we are planning our next visit there in March 2014.

We miss it so much! Thanks for this thread, it's fun to read.

Hello VWL groupies!

I want my first real post to be on this thread because the VWL is our family favorite and such a special resort.

We have so many wonderful memories there and I can't wait to come back. It's been a few years since we stayed, but we are planning our next visit there in March 2014.

We miss it so much! Thanks for this thread, it's fun to read.
Hello, Dreamer! Let me be the first to welcome you to our Groupies!:cool1: All you need do is grab a rocking chair (spittoon optional) and your favorite libation, then sit back and relax. Feel free to join in on our bantering and well wishes. Welcome home!pixiedust:

Hello, Dreamer! Let me be the first to welcome you to our Groupies!:cool1: All you need do is grab a rocking chair (spittoon optional) and your favorite libation, then sit back and relax. Feel free to join in on our bantering and well wishes. Welcome home!pixiedust:

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm so excited to finally join the DIS after 5 years of reading here on a regular basis!

Eliza
Welcome Home!! Hope that cold eases soon

Bagsmom
Way to go on the yard sale!! Enjoying your excitement:cool1:

Welcome to the groupies DreamerWDW!!!!

Thank you! These nice welcomes are why my family loves the VWL so much! There's just something so comforting about the Lodge. It's hard to put into words, but it just feels right when you are there.

I'm often asked by first timers on where they should stay. I recommend the Lodge because I can't imagine someone not enjoying the beauty and wonder of the whole resort.

My family was lucky enough to have a tour by Ranger Stan and that was such a great experience. I'm hoping we'll be chosen for the Flag family someday.

I'm thinking of trying a 1br for our next trip there, as we've only stayed in the studios at the Lodge. I'm just so excited to be finally going back!!

Exciting! (the 4 days - NOT the swimsuit shopping! lol)

Are you going to do Summit Plummet at BB? We went to that park for the first time ever on our trip a few weeks ago. I decided that would be our first slide - might as well go for the gusto! Wow! Crazy! A one piece is a must and even then the suit gets moved around in ways you wouldn't have thought possible. :lmao:

Nooooooo.... no Summit Plummet for us. What is the one with the double hump? It's supposed to be pretty exciting, too. But not as straight down or rough. You are brave to have done S. P.!:scared1:

This week is going to be fun and busy!!!!:yay:

WELCOME DreamerWDW! So nice to have you here.
Many of us had the pleasure of touring the Lodge with Ranger Stan. He and his 'Sweetie' even came to a few Groupie meets in the Carolwood Pacific room. That's a nice memory to reflect on this evening. Moose dust you'll be Flag Family on your next visit.

I found a one-piece on clearance that stood up well to the "jump around and flail your arms all over the place" test.
:rotfl::rotfl:
I just love reading your posts

Thank you! These nice welcomes are why my family loves the VWL so much! There's just something so comforting about the Lodge. It's hard to put into words, but it just feels right when you are there.

I'm often asked by first timers on where they should stay. I recommend the Lodge because I can't imagine someone not enjoying the beauty and wonder of the whole resort.

My family was lucky enough to have a tour by Ranger Stan and that was such a great experience. I'm hoping we'll be chosen for the Flag family someday.

I'm thinking of trying a 1br for our next trip there, as we've only stayed in the studios at the Lodge. I'm just so excited to be finally going back!!

Welcome Home New Groupie!!
Dreamer, sounds like you're a real "Kindred Spirit" :goodvibes

Well back from a great vacation in Paris and London. I caught a cold (which seems to happen any time I spend a few hours on a plane) and combine that with jet lag and I'm pooped.
TEAPOT
Hope your anniversary was magical!!! Sorry I missed the party. Happy belated Anniversary.

Thanks Eliza and Welcome Back
Hope you feel better soon ::yes::
We can't wait for the TR and Pics!

Congrats on the add on tea pot! They opened the model the day after we left (which originally was going to be our departure day - timing timing). Last night I happened to mention to DH that it had gone on sale and he pipes up that he would be very interested. :confused3 I had no idea that would happen - he's supposed to be a voice against my addonitis.

OH is that what they call it. Addonitis
Looks like I got it bad :confused3

Nooooooo.... no Summit Plummet for us. What is the one with the double hump? It's supposed to be pretty exciting, too. But not as straight down or rough. You are brave to have done S. P.!:scared1:

This week is going to be fun and busy!!!!:yay:

I think that's the Slush Gusher. We did that for our last ride and thought that was pretty crazy too!

I did comment to DH as we were waiting in line for Summit Plummet that we seemed to be the oldest one's heading up to it. We figured that it meant that most of those who were old enough knew better! :rotfl:

OH is that what they call it. Addonitis
Looks like I got it bad :confused3

Yes - a very insidious AND expensive condition! lol

Many of us feel this to be the "friendliest" place on the DIS, though we self-proclaim it, it is very close to true. And we are glad you found us! And all of us agree, VWL is one special place.

So glad you got to meet Stan. He is an honorary groupie(if you haven't seen the 1st page). We miss him but he evokes many fond memories and became fast friends to many of us here.

Hey there, DreamerWDW!

Welcome to a group with the nicest bunch of people you'll ever meet! I'm not a DVC owner -- just renting a studio at our dream resort. I've been made to feel so welcome here!:goodvibes

Teapot -- the swimsuit situation is always entertaining. Today I have to sew some fake chestiness into the suits. My kids think that is bizarre! But really, it's sort of a necessity. Not to look like Dolly Parton or anything.... just to look normal. And to keep things from falling down far below where they are supposed to be.

I hope I don't lose a cutlet on Slush Gusher. We'd have to re-name it the Bust Flusher.:crazy2:

Today we are going to Old Navy to find DH a couple of shirts for Father's Day. I told him my Father's Day gift to him will be that I let him come back home!!!:lmao:

OK, that's all for now! Bye gang!

I poke my head in here from time to time, but figured its time for me to start posting! I just returned from a 10 day stay in early May, and have been day-dreaming about returning every day since we landed back in Ohio! This was a pretty magical trip, and my entire family has been beaming ever since we returned. A little background about myself and my Disney (and more specifically, WL) obsession&

My Father convinced my Mother to stop at WDW for a brief visit while on their honeymoon in April, 1972 shortly after WDW first opened. She claims it was the biggest mistake she ever made, because he was hooked instantly! After that, annual (and sometimes two) trips per year ensued. With the opening of EPCOT in 1982, my brother was born and went on his first trip later in 1983. I came along in 1984, but didnt make my first visit until 1989. My folks decided that it was best to wait a few years until we could appreciate and remember things a little better. A good call, I believe, but more than anything, I just think its a pain to travel with really young kids. As a family, we bounced from various resorts; Caribbean Beach, Fort Wilderness, the old Howard Johnson near DTD (now a Best Western). Every trip was magical, but everything changed when we stumbled across the WL in 1994. My father read about the resort prior to opening, and decided to book a 13 day stay shortly after it came online. I remember the feeling that we got when we first pulled up to the valet and then walked into the grand lobby. We were instantly struck with WL fever. After that trip, we planted our flag at WL for all future visits.

The trips continued almost every year up until 2001. At this point, my brother and I were entering college, and financial obligations changed. Fast forwarding through the decade, a few health issues forced my father into retirement, and WDW just became too costly while on a fixed-income. Needless to say, the fever never died, as my father continued to build his WDW collection of pins and various collectibles through Ebay. He also found various WDW-related web blogs, and became an avid contributor to one. My father is essentially a walking WDW encyclopedia, having knowledge and experiences that date back to the very beginning of the park. My mothers interest also stayed alive, as she always looked for "lodgey" items for the house - lamps, wall sconces, additions to her garden, etc. A painting of WL that was purchased on a trip back in the 90s still hangs proudly in their living room, and is often the spark of many fond nostalgic memories.

So having the back history down, that brings us to last September, when I decided that it was finally time to rally the troops and get everyone back down to our home that is the WL. I bid on a DVC resale listing (VWL, of course), and closed later that month. For Christmas, I wrapped up the owners packet and addressed it to the entire family. Naturally, I let my father open it. He didnt quite understand at first, so I explained that I had purchased a Vacation Club membership, and that we would be returning to WL sometime in 2013. At the time, I hadnt yet booked our reservation, so the details were a little sketchy. But the important thing was, we were going. Needless to say, cheers of joy followed and the planning began shortly thereafter.

Naturally, the trip became the talk of the family. It was mentioned at a holiday get-together with some extended family, who also happened to be passionate about WDW. When they learned of our upcoming trip, ideas of a larger family gathering began to percolate. My cousin, his wife and three kids began to kick things around. Before you knew it, they were on the phone with their travel agent and we started to talk dates. We locked in on May 3rd through 12th, and shortly thereafter, made our reservations. My Aunt and another cousin decided to join in as well. All in all, we had 12 people headed to WL for ten days. Life doesnt get much better than that.

Landing at MCO gave everyone goosebumps. Walking off the plane, the "Florida smell" brought back fond memories of past trips. Its funny how certain smells can stay in your memory and evoke such vivid past experiences. We headed towards the Magical Express kiosk - a first for our family - and boarded the bus. The WL was the 3rd stop, making pit stops at the Poly and GF first. Our excitement grew at every stop, knowing we were that much closer to "home". Finally, we were headed toward Timberline Drive. The "old man" was beaming, and my mom had tears of joy streaming down her face as we passed the geese topiaries and underneath the archway. Finally, we were pulling up to the main entrance. We had arrived.

Walking through the front doors and into the sprawling lobby for the first time is an experience unto itself. It never grows old, and it never loses that "wow" factor. The music, the sounds, the smells - everything was just how we had remembered it. The bustling activity at WCC, the bubbling spring near the elevators, and all of the chatter of other happy guests. It felt as if we had never left from our last trip in 2001. Its a feeling that is so hard to explain, but I imagine everyone who is posting in this thread can completely relate. We are Wilderness Lodge people, through and through.

Ive already taken up enough space here, and could write a 10-page diatribe on our trip, but Ill end it with this. The trip was pure magic. And for me personally, it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. My parents had taken me on roughly 15 trips to WDW throughout my childhood, spending a small fortune I am quite sure. As a young kid, its hard to appreciate how difficult it might be to pull off a 10, 12 or 14 day trip to WDW. Each trip translated into hundreds of work hours. Being a little older and a little wiser, I now understand the sacrifices that my parents made for those trips. And its a great feeling to know that as a DVC owner, I can now begin to re-pay those debts over and over.

Oh Andrew
Welcome Home!!!!
:
You are a Groupie through and through
Nothing like starting Monday Morning with some tears.
and so right "We Know the Feeling"
I still get Goose Bumps with the "Florida Smell".

Let's see 1984...I have 3 girls just around your age.
I know I won't be the only groupie mom on this page
that will offer to adopt you! ;)

Grab a moose you belong here :flower3:

We have 2 new Groupies! Welcome to our home DreamerWDW and Andrew!

You 2 sound like our kind of people.:goodvibes

See our mascot Moosie, the cutie with the weird eyes? He LOVES it when people snag him for their signatures.
(oops, I see Di already invited you to steal him!)
We are looking forward to getting to know you both better.

Andrew, you have a way with words. Please know that we love posts like yours!
And when you have time, we would love to read a trip report. It is part of our essential diet here on the Dis.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter