• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL insider tips

Coach81

DIS Veteran
Headed to VWL this Friday :cool1:

So any resort tips.. things to know from my fellow DVC members???

Thanks in advance...

Request to be the flag family at check in.
Take the lodge tour.
See the electrical water pageant.
Avoid the dreaded dumpster view.

I would highly recommend patronizing the Artist Point restaurant. My wife and I finished up our honeymoon at WL about four days as I recall. On our final night we ate there. We have not missed having a meal there every year we have vacationed at the WL. Now that we are in VWL it seems to a moral imperative to put Artist Point on the supper schedule.

If you do go be sure to ask for Smokey Portobello Soup - With roasted shiitakes and chive oil and for the entrée may I suggest either the All-Natural Kurobuta Pork or the Slow-roasted 64° Buffalo Strip Steak.

You won't be disappointed. Many think it is one of the best places in WDW.

Headed to VWL this Friday :cool1:

So any resort tips.. things to know from my fellow DVC members???

Thanks in advance...
1) Walk over to Fort Wilderness via the paved bike trail (or rent bikes). You can also take the nature trail that starts beside the bike rental building; after 1/3 of a mile or so, the trail veers right and hooks up with the main, paved trail.
2) Cook s'mores over the beach campfire, then stick around for the movie--also on the beach.
3) Grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet (can be picked up at the front desk), then go on a HM hunt around the resort.
4) Sit at the Trout Pass Pool bar and imbibe your favorite adult beverage.
5) Artist Point is a great suggestion, and I would add two more suggestions: either the signature cedar plank salmon or whatever buffalo dish they have that night.
6) Mickey Waffles made-to-order at Roaring Fork in the morning. Perhaps the best Mickey Waffles anywhere.
7) If you want some quiet time, find a big, comfy chair in one of the side rooms off the foyer of the Villas building especially if it sits in front of one of the fireplaces. You can read, relax, or nap.
8) Catch the geyser when it erupts. . .which you can do while sitting at the Trout Pass Pool bar!

Enjoy your stay!

1) Walk over to Fort Wilderness via the paved bike trail (or rent bikes). You can also take the nature trail that starts beside the bike rental building; after 1/3 of a mile or so, the trail veers right and hooks up with the main, paved trail.
2) Cook s'mores over the beach campfire, then stick around for the movie--also on the beach.
3) Grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet (can be picked up at the front desk), then go on a HM hunt around the resort.
4) Sit at the Trout Pass Pool bar and imbibe your favorite adult beverage.
5) Artist Point is a great suggestion, and I would add two more suggestions: either the signature cedar plank salmon or whatever buffalo dish they have that night.
6) Mickey Waffles made-to-order at Roaring Fork in the morning. Perhaps the best Mickey Waffles anywhere.
7) If you want some quiet time, find a big, comfy chair in one of the side rooms off the foyer of the Villas building especially if it sits in front of one of the fireplaces. You can read, relax, or nap.
8) Catch the geyser when it erupts. . .which you can do while sitting at the Trout Pass Pool bar!

Enjoy your stay!

Fantastic!!! Just what I was hoping for... from a seasoned WL VET!!! Thanks!!!

Fantastic!!! Just what I was hoping for... from a seasoned WL VET!!! Thanks!!!
Another one of my favorite things to do is sit and watch people walk into the massive, awe-inspiring main lobby for the first time.

You're most welcome! I would also suggest that you head over to the VWL Lovers' thread (on this same DVC Resorts forum). All that is required for "membership" is a love of the Lodge. It's the friendliest group on the DisBoards, free from any drama or conflict, and full of genuinely nice folks. I think you'd like us. In fact, the other two responders to your post hang out there, too! :thumbsup2

Another one of my favorite things to do is sit and watch people walk into the massive, awe-inspiring main lobby for the first time.

You're most welcome! I would also suggest that you head over to the VWL Lovers' thread (on this same DVC Resorts forum). All that is required for "membership" is a love of the Lodge. It's the friendliest group on the DisBoards, free from any drama or conflict, and full of genuinely nice folks. I think you'd like us. In fact, the other two responders to your post hang out there, too! :thumbsup2

I think I will...

***Bring earplugs. The villas are under construction due to renovation so it is very noisy from around 9 am to 6 pm. Today they were using circular saws and banging/crashing that sounded like they were breaking something - maybe tile?

We are loosing water from 10:30 am to around 5 pm for the next two days. We need to flush the lines before we use the water in the evening - run the water until it turns from yellowish to clear. Great.....

Oh, and the monorail is down from 11:30am to 7 pm every day.

Don't get me started about the crowds and the FP+ issues......

You should use some of the ideas in the posts above to get out of the resort for peace and quiet.

It isn't as bad as it sounds but I have to admit this isn't the vacation I planned.....

***Bring earplugs. The villas are under construction due to renovation so it is very noisy from around 9 am to 6 pm. Today they were using circular saws and banging/crashing that sounded like they were breaking something - maybe tile?

We are loosing water from 10:30 am to around 5 pm for the next two days. We need to flush the lines before we use the water in the evening - run the water until it turns from yellowish to clear. Great.....

It isn't as bad as it sounds but I have to admit this isn't the vacation I planned.....

Ugh...this has me concerned. We arrive in two weeks and plan to be back at the resort for a nap for our little guy each day. :confused3

Do you happen to know what floor(s) they are currently working on? What floor are you staying on? I'd like to try and get as far away from the construction as possible, but it really may NOT be possible.

This is really stressing me out...if my 2 year old doesn't get a nap, those days will be a DISASTER. We are going to HDDR one evening so that could really be an issue.

And no water during the day? Yikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter