VWP could be scaled back - Visa's for all Brits

yo-ho-yo-ho

Mouseketeer
MORE than six million British tourists flying to America face tougher travel rules after the alleged plot to bomb transatlantic flights.

The Visa Waiver Programme, which gives UK passport holders freedom to visit the US, could be scaled back.

White House officials fear the scheme makes it easier for British fanatics to launch terror attacks on US-bound jets.

And there are now moves in Washington to bring the VWP to an end.

A US source said: “Everything is now under consideration in terms of tightening security. One of the easiest ways to get into America — or board a flight to the States — is by having a UK passport.

“Protecting America, Americans and American interests is the No1 priority.”

Around 6.5million Britons visit the US each year. Four million don’t need a visa as they have a “machine readable” passport and are staying for less than 90 days.

A change in entry requirements could see Britons forced to queue at the US Embassy for pricey travel documents.

I cant see that happening - too many people would give up their US holiday and go elsewhere. They would lose a fortune. Including our families annual trip. No way I am going through hassle of getting visas. The journey to the US is stressful enough. :furious:

Anything which reduces the chances of me getting blown up in mid air is OK by me. Whether or not it would actually have any effect is another matter, of course. The novelty of filling out the Visa Waiver form has worn off now, anyway (at one time I welcomed the 10 minute distraction :teeth: ).

I guess they'd have to phase it in over several years, though - it'll take forever to process the necessary numbers of applications.

I think this could be workable if they introduce a network of centres you could attend in cities around the country. Eg. Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham and possibly Cardiff.

The first time we went to the US back in teh 80's we had to have a visa, but it didn't mean a trip to the embassy it just meant we had to send in an apllication form and a fee. if they went back to this process then fine

when it looked like the VWP would be scrapped a couple of years ago there were talks then about mobile units being set up in major cities to make the visa process easier, I think this would almost definately come into play if and when it happens. Although I'm pretty sure the terrorists would still find a way around it - If they have no prior criminal convictions there'd be nothing stopping them from getting a visa anyway, and most of the reports you see after incidents like the recent one and the July 7th bombings show family and friends saying 'he was always so quiet, never in any trouble' etc etc so they'd just recruit more people with no dodgy past, just a dogy intent in the future.

TandCmum said:
The first time we went to the US back in teh 80's we had to have a visa, but it didn't mean a trip to the embassy it just meant we had to send in an apllication form and a fee. if they went back to this process then fine

That happened to my parents too, in the 70s. Mum actually still has her's somewhere.

carolfoy said:
when it looked like the VWP would be scrapped a couple of years ago there were talks then about mobile units being set up in major cities to make the visa process easier, I think this would almost definately come into play if and when it happens. Although I'm pretty sure the terrorists would still find a way around it - If they have no prior criminal convictions there'd be nothing stopping them from getting a visa anyway, and most of the reports you see after incidents like the recent one and the July 7th bombings show family and friends saying 'he was always so quiet, never in any trouble' etc etc so they'd just recruit more people with no dodgy past, just a dogy intent in the future.
Exactly - the 9/11 terorists had no criminal past !!!

I suppose they were bound to look at this in the present climate...:(

I for one would apply for a visa if necessary, as I cannot easily give up my addiction (recently enlarged, as we now want to revist New York too! :teeth: )

Typically how long a visa would a Brit tourist be given at present? How often would you need to reapply?

Mike

I think a visa is valid for 10 years, so if visas will be valid for that length of time, we will be getting them. An applications once every 10 years isn't too bad for 10 years worth of holidays at WDW. :thumbsup2

Hopefully, tho' common sense will prevail and it won't be a journey down to London!! If we can just attend local regional centres that has got to be better.

If they last 10 years thats not too bad as long as you can apply by post. I had visions of having to apply annually :crazy: Still dont think it will make a difference to terrorist threats. :sad2:

Visa's are up to 10yrs but the can be for a week - month or a year. Also remember a Visa doesn't mean you a free to enter the U.S its still up to the Img Officer.

yo-ho-yo-ho said:
Visa's are up to 10yrs but the can be for a week - month or a year. Also remember a Visa doesn't mean you a free to enter the U.S its still up to the Img Officer.

I see you are full of good news as usual!! ;)

When we went in the 80s our visa were issued from the US consulate in Edinburgh. My visa only lasted until my 16th birthday but both my parents were issued with lifetime visas (dont know if that was because they were ex forces/civil service maybe? )

Wouldnt have a problem with it if you could apply online or by post but if the visas were only issued in London or Belfast as at present I cant see us going as it would just add too much on to the cost for 4 of us to fly down.

Just been watching sky news and the person they were interviewing was asked if he was in favour of stopping the VWP and he said no but that the british government should take this seriously to stop the terrorists getting through security.

Well maybe we should do the same to the US. Seems we are a bit lax letting other folks into the country. Maybe we could make everyone in the US have to travel to DC to get their visa. Yup, I think I'll propose this.... ;)

yo-ho-yo-ho said:
MORE than six million British tourists flying to America face tougher travel rules after the alleged plot to bomb transatlantic flights.

The Visa Waiver Programme, which gives UK passport holders freedom to visit the US, could be scaled back.

White House officials fear the scheme makes it easier for British fanatics to launch terror attacks on US-bound jets.

And there are now moves in Washington to bring the VWP to an end.

A US source said: “Everything is now under consideration in terms of tightening security. One of the easiest ways to get into America — or board a flight to the States — is by having a UK passport.

“Protecting America, Americans and American interests is the No1 priority.”

Around 6.5million Britons visit the US each year. Four million don’t need a visa as they have a “machine readable” passport and are staying for less than 90 days.

A change in entry requirements could see Britons forced to queue at the US Embassy for pricey travel documents.

What's your source please?

yo-ho-yo-ho said:
MICHAEL LEA - Political Correspondent for the Sun also in the Evening Standard !!!
Thanks.

Many in Washington believe Britain now presents a greater security threat than Afghanistan, Iran or Iraq. Influential political magazine the New Republic has dubbed the UK “Kashmir on the Thames”.

Other publications and think-tanks have blasted Britain’s Muslims and the Government’s softly-softly strategy.

Nile Gardiner, of the right-wing Heritage Foundation, claimed Americans increasingly feel that Britain is a “hornet’s nest of Islamic extremists”.

Investor’s Business Daily newspaper has called for an end to the VWP because it “allows Pakistani Britons to dodge background checks”.

The Foreign Office said last night: “We work closely with the US to ensure that new measures are introduced with a minimum of disruption and maximum of safety.”
Source

I think we have to accept that air travel is going to be more complicated and queueing will become the norm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter