Wacky weddings

Nothing outrageous, but I have been to some weddings that reflected the ethnic history or personal interests of the couple.

A friend got married inside an auto museum. Everything was inside the museum. After the vows, they arrived at the reception line in a Bug Eye Sprite Sports car. After the reception they arrived for dinner in another sports car. After dinner they arrived in another sports car for the cake cutting. And they arrived in another sports car for the dance that followed. I should mention each entrance was accompanied by the loud revving of the engine and horn blowing.

Another wedding was the only Greek Orthodox Wedding I have been to. Lots of crowns, veils and for lack of a better term, dancing of the bridge and groom around each other.

And the most interesting mix was an African American man to a Jewish woman. Their ceremony contained many rituals from West Africa where his ancestors are from, like jumping the broom. And many Jewish rituals were also incorporated including a smashing of a wine glass.

Just a an fyi, jumping the broom is not an African tradition and did not come from Africa.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/rel...-the-broom-wedding-tradition-history-origins/

I was a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding. Her mother told her she didn't like the groom and would not be putting any money towards the wedding. The groom's family gave them as much as they could afford, but the couple paid for most of it themselves. It was what I would consider a "budget wedding" but they did their best and I thought it was very nice.

The one concession the bride's mom did make was to reserve the gazebo at her retirement community for the ceremony. She also let us get dressed at her condo. When I got there, her mom was ironing her mother-of-the-bride dress. It was a very casual navy blue dress made out of t-shirt material with a little iron-on rainbow patch from the 70s on the front. She wore that to the wedding with a long, black cloak. It had rained the night before, so the grooms family was frantically trying to dry the chairs before the ceremony. The aisle runner was plastic and was covered in little puddles with mud underneath. When the other bridesmaid and I walked down the aisle, we couldn't help but walk very carefully and our feet kind of skidded along the runner. I looked up and saw the bride's mother scowling at us when we got to the front. It was like a death stare!

The reception was held in a nearby community center that had a few broken windows way up high. Otherwise it was basic, but nicely decorated. The couple's friends cooked and served the food themselves. They had a bunch of lasagnas and side dishes. When the bride's mother arrived, she stood off to the side with her sister and niece. The three of them surveyed the room, scowling the whole time, pointing and whispering their disapproval to each other. I felt really badly for my friend that her mom was acting that way, but she seemed to take it in stride and enjoy her day.

Here's the worst part: The bride's step-father was a talented amateur photographer and offered to take the pictures as a gift, which my friend gratefully accepted. Her step-father was a very low-key, pleasant guy (the complete opposite of her mom). He worked really hard all day taking photos. He was eager to do a really good job. My friend finally had to tell him to sit down and eat. A few weeks after the wedding, my friend asked him if the photos were ready yet. He said, "You'll have to talk to your mom about that." So she did and her mom said, "I hated your wedding. It was horrible. I don't like your husband or his family. You will never see the photos." So my friend never saw her own wedding photos. Some of her friends had taken their own pictures and they pooled them to make her an album. The really sad part was that her husband died of brain cancer 20 years later and she doesn't have the official wedding photos. After her mom died, she asked her step-father if he still had the negatives. He apologized profusely for the whole thing and said her mother took them a long time ago. As far as he knew, she destroyed them. Sad. I can't imagine how a mother could do that to her child.

I was at a surprise wedding too! Can’t believe I’m not the only one…lol.

It started as a family reunion (DH’s family) and we were just gonna drop in, eat, and get on with our day. Shortly after lunch, DH’s cousins boyfriend (they were older, this was his second marriage) proposes in front of everyone and she accepted.

Awkward, but whatever. About 10 minutes later, a truck pulls up with all sorts of wedding stuff… DJ equipment, catering, etc. Yep. He arranged for the wedding to happen that day. He even obtained her mothers wedding gown for her to wear.

She looked absolutely terrified, my SIL (not at the reunion) was screaming at her on the phone to not do it…but it happened.

And this was like 15 or more years ago and they are still married, so I guess it worked out!

Strangest day ever.

Wow! We have been to a surprise wedding too but it was very well done. The bride and groom were both in on it luckily (and their immediate families). It started as a very fancy engagement party and then they invited everyone upstairs which was set up for a wedding. They did it because they just wanted to get married without all the drama and hoopla leading up to it.

The guests were same as who they would have invited to their wedding anyway. It was in the Northeast and a pretty classy affair. This was about 20 years ago before "elopements" were common.

I went to a surprise wedding at a funeral once. One of my good friend's father in law passed away. Her sister in a law had been with the same man for like 20 years, but they had never married. Just before the funeral, they stood in front of the casket and had the minister who was performing the funeral marry them. Apparently she just couldn't imagine ever getting married without her Dad there, so she had to do it before he was lowered to the ground.

About six months after we got married, we attended the wedding of one of my cousins out of state. Almost the whole extended family was there. My cousin was the groom. My other cousin, his younger brother has had a few run ins with the law, spent some time in prison, addiction issues etc. He didn't show up to the wedding but did arrive at the reception. He was drunk and with a much older woman who he didn't appear to know well, who was also drunk/high. We were all shocked, especially because we think she might have been a prostitute! This was almost thirty years ago and we all still talk about it.

A year or so before that, we went to a wedding for dh's great aunt. She was a widow. She was marrying her dead sister's widower! It was in a small rural town and people showed up at the church dressed like they came right from the fields. Nothing wrong with that if that's normal for the area. But we found it different. The reception was at a hall in town and consisted of make your own sandwiches with wonder bread straight out of the package and condiments still in jars etc. Again nothing wrong with it, but these were not poor people so it just seemed they might have done it up a tad bit more. Maybe nicely arrange the bread on plates and put the condiments in small bowls. But whatever, as long as they were happy. We just found it funny.

I haven't really been to any weird ones. But I did hear about one, haha. A long time ago I worked with a woman who may have been the cheapest person I have ever met. She went on about her wedding at work constantly, and she passed out post-it notes with her registry information on them more than once. I think I may have gotten 2 or 3 of those fun little reminders. I did buy her something; I don't remember what. Then it turned out that none of us except for our manager were invited to the wedding.

The manager wasn't the type to gossip but she couldn't help herself from telling us about this wedding (bride was out of office on her honeymoon) on Monday. Apparently they got married in the bride's mom's carport. No decorations or anything. The reception was one card table set up in the same carport with sleeves of saltines set out on it, and jugs of orange Tampico punch and paper cups. That was it. The weirdest part was that the groom PULLED A CAN OF SARDINES OUT OF HIS POCKET and started eating them with the Saltines. My manager said she stood around for a while thinking they must be going to fire up a grill or have some takeout brought in or something, but they just munched on Saltines, so she left.

We were all flabbergasted because this woman had been talking about practically nothing but her wedding for months. But there were no flowers, no real food, no decorations, no theme, and she just wore a cheap sundress according to my manager. The music was from a cassette player, there were no bridesmaids or flower girls, no cake. So what in the world had she been talking about all this time? We really thought about it, and we realized that all she had really talked about was her registry and her gifts.

Oh, and guess where they went on their honeymoon? Camping in her mom's backyard, before she moved her new husband into her childhood bedroom at her mom's house.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if she were just poor, but she wasn't that bad off financially. I know because she loved to brag about all of her money saving techniques, a lot of which were just using other people, in reality.

I went to a surprise wedding at a funeral once. One of my good friend's father in law passed away. Her sister in a law had been with the same man for like 20 years, but they had never married. Just before the funeral, they stood in front of the casket and had the minister who was performing the funeral marry them. Apparently she just couldn't imagine ever getting married without her Dad there, so she had to do it before he was lowered to the ground.
:eek: You win.

not weird or wacky but 'different'-

a beatles theme wedding-bride and groom wore all white ala john and yoko (she is asian/he had long john lennon hair at the time), groomsmen wore sgt. pepper's costumes. it was great at the end of the wedding as they exited the venue to 'all you need is love' b/c by midway through all in attendance were singing along with it :thumbsup2

the shortest wedding of all time-bride (nor her family) spoke a word of english so the ceremony consisted of 'do you take this man' and 'do you take this woman', each said 'i do' and it was done. SPECTACULAR reception-menu was greek and japanese. LOTS of sake and ouzo, don't remember allot of it:crazy::rotfl:

not weird or wacky but 'different'-

a beatles theme wedding-bride and groom wore all white ala john and yoko (she is asian/he had long john lennon hair at the time), groomsmen wore sgt. pepper's costumes. it was great at the end of the wedding as they exited the venue to 'all you need is love' b/c by midway through all in attendance were singing along with it :thumbsup2

the shortest wedding of all time-bride (nor her family) spoke a word of english so the ceremony consisted of 'do you take this man' and 'do you take this woman', each said 'i do' and it was done. SPECTACULAR reception-menu was greek and japanese. LOTS of sake and ouzo, don't remember allot of it:crazy::rotfl:
This one sounds pretty fun - plus the music would be great!

I haven't really been to any weird ones. But I did hear about one, haha. A long time ago I worked with a woman who may have been the cheapest person I have ever met. She went on about her wedding at work constantly, and she passed out post-it notes with her registry information on them more than once. I think I may have gotten 2 or 3 of those fun little reminders. I did buy her something; I don't remember what. Then it turned out that none of us except for our manager were invited to the wedding.

The manager wasn't the type to gossip but she couldn't help herself from telling us about this wedding (bride was out of office on her honeymoon) on Monday. Apparently they got married in the bride's mom's carport. No decorations or anything. The reception was one card table set up in the same carport with sleeves of saltines set out on it, and jugs of orange Tampico punch and paper cups. That was it. The weirdest part was that the groom PULLED A CAN OF SARDINES OUT OF HIS POCKET and started eating them with the Saltines. My manager said she stood around for a while thinking they must be going to fire up a grill or have some takeout brought in or something, but they just munched on Saltines, so she left.

We were all flabbergasted because this woman had been talking about practically nothing but her wedding for months. But there were no flowers, no real food, no decorations, no theme, and she just wore a cheap sundress according to my manager. The music was from a cassette player, there were no bridesmaids or flower girls, no cake. So what in the world had she been talking about all this time? We really thought about it, and we realized that all she had really talked about was her registry and her gifts.

Oh, and guess where they went on their honeymoon? Camping in her mom's backyard, before she moved her new husband into her childhood bedroom at her mom's house.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if she were just poor, but she wasn't that bad off financially. I know because she loved to brag about all of her money saving techniques, a lot of which were just using other people, in reality.
Likely no one can beat the funeral wedding but that bit about the saltines and sardines is especially epic!!!

Not weird but certainly memorable....

I was part of a wedding that was held in New Jersey. My wife and my mom were at the wedding as well. We went to the rehearsal. Everyone's in their places. My mom was there and sat in one of the forward pews. Then the bridal procession started. The music wasn't "Here Comes the Bride" or "Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor". The bride walked down the aisle to...."Entrance of the Queen of Sheba".

Never heard of it? Believe me, if you had, you'd never forget it. The church was quiet, waiting for the music to begin. And then it began......"BOOM! BOOM!" My mom actually yelped and came partway out of the pew. The music startled everyone, except for the bride and groom. The rest of us were looking around, wondering if the speakers exploded.

Now, when my wife and I go to a wedding and the bridal march begins, we jokingly say, "Please don't be the 'Entrance of the Queen of Sheba'!"

I'm trying to figure out what was "booming" about the frantic violins in that piece! Maybe the sound system was off? I actually had to go listen to it to see if there were drums I didn't remember!

Not weird but certainly memorable....

I was part of a wedding that was held in New Jersey. My wife and my mom were at the wedding as well. We went to the rehearsal. Everyone's in their places. My mom was there and sat in one of the forward pews. Then the bridal procession started. The music wasn't "Here Comes the Bride" or "Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor". The bride walked down the aisle to...."Entrance of the Queen of Sheba".

Never heard of it? Believe me, if you had, you'd never forget it. The church was quiet, waiting for the music to begin. And then it began......"BOOM! BOOM!" My mom actually yelped and came partway out of the pew. The music startled everyone, except for the bride and groom. The rest of us were looking around, wondering if the speakers exploded.

Now, when my wife and I go to a wedding and the bridal march begins, we jokingly say, "Please don't be the 'Entrance of the Queen of Sheba'!"
of course I had to look for the song to hear it - weirdly all of the songs on Youtube don't start with a BOOM they are a nice, fast violin movement. Maybe then did blow out the speakers or something

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter