Waikiki recommendations

ozliz

DIS Veteran
I was fortunate enough to visit Aulani in 2016 and hoping to go back later this year (I have DVC points :)). Unfortunately, in addition to the crazy inflation recently, the AUD/USD exchange rate is a lot worse than my last visit.

I’m thinking at least 2 nights in Waikiki after Aulani (just in case I want to shop, need to get a covid test, etc. before flying home). Also, I am not hiring a car (not confident driving) so the time at Aulani will very much be resort time and any sightseeing after will be done using Waikiki as the base.

The place a colleague recommended to me last time is now double the price and with Australians not really able to travel recently no one here has any other recommendations.

Any recommendations for good places to stay that are in both convenient and safe locations while being at the lower end of prices? It must be clean and safe but it will just be a hotel so other amenities don’t matter.

What is your price range?

On Oahu, Waikiki is one of the only places that still allows for short term rentals less than 30 days so if you want some nice prices compared to hotels, you might want to look up some rentals on AirBNB and VRBO though for a 2-nighter, the owners might not want to go that short.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but at least in urban cores, particularly on the West Coast of USA and even in Waikiki/Honolulu, you might run into a lot of "urban blight" so you may encounter transients who will, for the most part, leave you alone but some are 5150.

I recently went at stayed all 6 nights in the Beach Walk area, close to Hilton Grand Vacations Club, Sheraton, Embassy Suites, etc. Really nice high-end shopping nearby and I never felt unsafe walking about.

I am not sure what you are looking for price wise and at what time of the year you are planning on staying in Waikiki.
Hilton sometimes has a late spring/early summer Hawaii sale so depending on when you want to go you might be able to snag any of the hotels that are Hilton branded for a decent price.
Another option is the Outrigger chain. They sometimes have promos for email subscribers or for customers who book directly though them.
In general, the further you get from the beach, the cheaper it is but I am sure you know that.

You could rent a 1 bedroom suite at the Club Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk. It's literally right next to all of the Waikiki shopping and beach. TUG and Koala are the easiest places to find Wyndham owners that will rent out points. You just make a listing for what you want and offer $8 per point. For reference, that would be about $216/night weeknights in the summer in a unit that actually has a full kitchen.

I own Wyndham, Marriott and DVC and that's my plan for when I finally go to Oahu: A week at the Marriott Ko'Olina, 3-4 nights at Aulani, then 3-4 nights at Waikiki. The Marriott trade is the cheapest for me, so that's why I want a full week there. It ends up being like $736/week in a studio. Renting Wyndham points will probably be your most cost friendly option for Oahu if you don't own Marriott.

As others have mentioned, more info would definitely help narrow it down - there are a ton of options.
Here are some hotels in a moderate price range that would be worth a look. A couple are at the far end of Waikiki, but still close, and on the beach. The others are in the heart of Waikiki, but a block off the beach.
  • Hyatt Centric Waikiki
  • Skipjack hotel
  • Kaimana Hotel
  • Lotus Honolulu
  • Waikiki Beachcomber
  • Vive Hotel
  • Shoreline Hotel
  • Hyatt Place

we’ve only stayed at a couple of these, but these are all on our list when we do need a hotel when visiting family.

Last edited:
Hi again. Thanks for the suggestions so far. The trouble I’m having is that when I look at lists of moderately priced hotels, add taxes and possibly resort fees and then convert to AUD I’m coming our way over my usual budget. If I look at any of the dream places right along the beach they come out about $700+ in AUD (once all the extras have been factored in). I don’t need to stay at one of those places, but if I’m spending more than usual (because I have no choice as I don’t want to stay in a backpacker type place), I want to be sure it’s actually OK. When I look at recent reviews for some of the so called moderate places they’re all pretty bad (I know it’s an expensive area but the extras don’t really equal moderate in the end and I’ve had better luck in the middle of major expensive cities in the past). Some places look like they were fine or even good pre-covid and standards have dropped since.

But, since budget/value category isn’t really an option in that area, my price range would generally be in the lower end of moderate if possible.

As for timing, this will be mid September, just after the peak summer ends so I had hoped the prices wouldn’t be too bad but inflation in the US in the already expensive location of Waikiki really is making me question whether it’s worth it ( yet to book flights so I can cancel my DVC booking).

If you want quiet but close to the beach with moderate prices, you want to be towards Diamondhead past the Westin Moana. These locations are not on the beach but directly across the street from the sand with nothing in front. Hyatt Regency is a fabulous hotel with typically good prices. Aston Beach Hotel not quite as nice but good location- does get noise from Tikis on the pool level, or the Alohilani which has had a very nice refresh.

If you really do not care about fancy and want a killer Ocean Front view and great location, Aston Waikiki Circle Ocean fronts. Small rooms but best views of any moderate

My recommendation is to look at Coconut Waikiki Hotel~
It gets good reviews, clean, close enough to everything you would want in Waikiki and even has some nice ammenities.
We haven't stayed here but drove by it every day, and it looked very nice!

https://coconutwaikikihotel.com/

Last edited:
Are you saying the places you’re looking at are $700/night or $700/week?
The places that are along the beachfront are $700 in AUD per night but remember that the AUD websites include taxes and I’ve mostly added the resort fees in that too. The exchange rate is that bad right now! There are places that are less but still more than I would usually pay by the time taxes and resort fees are added which is why I want to be sure they’re actually decent. It’s so hard to tell when a lot of places have good reviews pre-Covid but recent reviews are not so good. If something is cheap my standards and expectations are lower but nothing is cheap right now because the exchange rate is so bad.

Wow that's crazy - we are booked at the Halepuna for six nights in the first week of September, and even with exchange rate it's only costing about $470AU a night, including tax. We also looked at the Hyatt Centric (off beach I know) which was cheaper that that for the same dates. Hope you can find something! TripAdvisor has heaps of recent reviews, maybe take a look through there.

The places that are along the beachfront are $700 in AUD per night but remember that the AUD websites include taxes and I’ve mostly added the resort fees in that too. The exchange rate is that bad right now! There are places that are less but still more than I would usually pay by the time taxes and resort fees are added which is why I want to be sure they’re actually decent. It’s so hard to tell when a lot of places have good reviews pre-Covid but recent reviews are not so good. If something is cheap my standards and expectations are lower but nothing is cheap right now because the exchange rate is so bad.

most of the hotel I listed are typically $200/night (USD), unless you’re looking at peak travel dates. Add in taxes, resort fees, and conversion, and you should be around $400/night AUD, tops. Not sure if that pushes them out of your range or not though.

the Kaimana is right on the beach - although the beach is a little rockier there, but still on the water, and you can stroll down he beach to the finer sandy areas. It was recently renovated and has been getting mostly 5 star reviews recently. Mostly 4 and 5 stars before the renovation as well.

The Skipjack has always gotten great reviews. Not right on the beach, but it’s only a block and a half away. Smaller, cozier hotel.

the Beachcomber is a really nice hotel. Right in the middle of everything, with restaurants on premise. They’ve been pretty consistently good over many, many years.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I checked again now and prices are a little lower so I wonder if I was just looking too far in advance. I’ve booked something and would love to lock in the exchange rate by prepaying like I always did before covid but everything is too unpredictable for that now so I just have to hope for the best.

We (3 adults from NZ) stayed at the Waikiki Banyan in 2018 and booked through Koko resorts. It was a good price, even had a small sea view. Plus, its a condo so had full kitchen, pool etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter