Waikiki to Aulani experience?

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Currently working on plans for an Aulani trip next summer. Thinking that we (wife and I) will do a couple of days in Waikiki when we first arrive and then go to Aulani. We will not have a car at the time. Wondering what people have done before to get from Waikiki to Aulani. Taxi? Car Service? Uber? Approximate price?

Yes, we do know we need a car to see the island. That is all planned for the second part of the trip. This will be our 6th visit. The rest of our travel party will be arriving a day or two after we fly in. So, we're just going to stay in Waikiki for a night or two.

Currently (9:30 am Honolulu), the rate for a Lyft Ranges from $59 (standard) to $105 for a Lyft XL. Not sure about other methods - In most areas I’ve found Lyft to be consistently competitive, so I don’t spend a lot of time looking these days.

Plus, when we’re on Oahu, we can usually borrow a car, or get a lift from a family member. 😌

I've used Uber and Lyft to get all around the island, even from the airport to the North Shore. If you can transfer in the middle of the day to avoid rush hour I think those are the best options.

The hotel you are staying at probably has a rental desk or there is a rental company in a hotel nearby. As you said you are getting a car for the second half of the trip, I would rent the car in the Waikiki area. You can then stop by the airport to pick up the other members of your party on your way to Aulani.

I would price the cars out to see what the difference is from renting from the Waikiki area as opposed to the airport. Then compare the price to Lyft or Uber.

If you have a Costco membership, make sure you look at prices there. We've always gotten the best deals through Costco.

Keep an eye on traffic times. Whether you or a ride-share person is driving, congested highways between Waikiki and Aulani can double the length of the trip. (We once arrived over an hour late for a morning excursion in Waikiki--which left without us--even though we had allowed for extra driving time.)

I would just rent a car and drive myself for that day, for the price of uber/lyft/taxi. Much more convenient. And if you are getting a car later anyways, which not start on moving day, the day you checking out of Waikiki area.

Great3

We did Hawaii 23, I think it was $75, my daughter went on a recent trip and Ubered at about the same cost with the big car. I hate renting cars on vacations. Its crazy, you would think with all this Uber competition the rental places would do a better job.

Thanks to all that responded to this question. Looks like plenty of options.

The hotel you are staying at probably has a rental desk or there is a rental company in a hotel nearby. As you said you are getting a car for the second half of the trip, I would rent the car in the Waikiki area. You can then stop by the airport to pick up the other members of your party on your way to Aulani.

I would price the cars out to see what the difference is from renting from the Waikiki area as opposed to the airport. Then compare the price to Lyft or Uber.

If you have a Costco membership, make sure you look at prices there. We've always gotten the best deals through Costco.
Costco travel has always had the best price and perks such as no charge for your spouse to drive.

Sorry to bump this thread, but our trip is getting closer, and the planning is in high gear.

Appreciate those suggestions about renting a car. In our case I don't think that is going to work. Our Aulani stay is for ~10 nights in a GV with another family. They are arriving the day we check in at Aulani and they will be renting the car for the duration of the visit. We get in two days before hand and have no intention of driving around the island during that time. Instead we will enjoy the hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village) and the nearby shops/restaurants.

So, current thinking is to:
A - taxi/uber from the Hilton to Aulani around mid-day, or,
B - taxi/uber from the Hilton to the airport to meet the other family when they arrive, get in the car (van) with them for the drive to Aulani. Hoping the luggage and people will all fit, but fall back is for one of us to taxi/uber from the airport to Aulani with the luggage overflow.

Anyway, that's where we are at right now. Again, I appreciate the suggestions.

Discount Hawaii Car rental check out as well. Found their rental prices beat even the beloved Costco. Used them for both our Maui and Oahu rentals last year. Easy to rebook if prices drop as well

While at HHV consider a Hui rental for the day if you want to get away from HHV or go to Pearl Harbor or somewhere.

Sorry to bump this thread, but our trip is getting closer, and the planning is in high gear.

Appreciate those suggestions about renting a car. In our case I don't think that is going to work. Our Aulani stay is for ~10 nights in a GV with another family. They are arriving the day we check in at Aulani and they will be renting the car for the duration of the visit. We get in two days before hand and have no intention of driving around the island during that time. Instead we will enjoy the hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village) and the nearby shops/restaurants.

B - taxi/uber from the Hilton to the airport to meet the other family when they arrive, get in the car (van) with them for the drive to Aulani. Hoping the luggage and people will all fit, but fall back is for one of us to taxi/uber from the airport to Aulani with the luggage overflow.

Uber and Lyft were plentiful last time I went, and mid-day is a good time to avoid traffic.

I always go with the least time consuming and cumbersome - just go with Option A and enjoy your arrival at Aulani on your own without worrying about crowding into your friends van. Supply is there per previous posts. You can check the apps from home too for your own piece of mind. HHV will help you as well - cost is going to vary but what’s another $50 when you’re talking about convenience for a $10K plus trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter