Walk up dining experiences

I can't wait to hear responses to this! I've been wondering about it myself. I've been logging into the MDE app when I wake up in the morning to see if certain restaurants have walk up availability. I've seen a 30 min wait for Beaches & Cream around 11am EST, no walk up availability for CRT or BOG once the restaurant opens. I wonder if it's like getting a boarding group for RotR? Where you have to be on your app ready to click to join the walk up list exactly at restaurant opening? My cousins planned their first WDW trip less than 60 days out, so their ADRs have been really limited & I'm hoping they can get feedback about the walk up system.

We did this at Nomad Lounge in December. I really appreciated being able to do it in the app instead of having to walk over to the lounge and then find out how long the wait would be and then get on the list for a table and then have to come back in person to check. When we checked the app around 5:30 it said there would be about a 30 minute wait. We joined the waitlist and about 30 minutes later got a text saying our table was ready. We walked over and were seated immediately.

Love this feature. Used it a Cali Grill and Narcoossee’s over our New Years trip. For folks like us that kind of don’t plan/just make it up as we go, it’s a great option (when there is availability).

At Narcoossee’s, we joined at 6:24pm (while in our Poly room) with a posted 60 minute wait. Our table was available at 6:50pm, so not even 30 minutes.

Joined the CG list right around 5pm (purposely was targeting right when they open) from the MK front entrance - received the table ready text about 15 mins later.

I’m sure it’s very YMMV based on crowds, time of day, etc, but it worked well for us in these two circumstances.

We stalked the walk up list for Topolino’s dinner for an entire week in September when we stayed at Riviera. It always showed no availability, which is why I encourage people not to have their heart set on this option working. Fortunately we were able to snag a same-day ADR on our last night.

I have been watching the app all this morning (Saturday of Presidents Day Weekend). At the time of park opening for several hours after, many places had “join walk up waitlist” as an option. Around 11:00am this turned to “wait list is at capacity” for 50s prime time, Sci-Fi and a few others, but not all. As I am in the northeast and too far away to join a waitlist, I am *kind of* drawing the conclusion that most places have some availability and some close the list once they hit their max threshold. Also, most places with presumed availability show an estimated wait time. Just looked again (just before noon) and many places in MK are also at capacity on the waitlist.

We try and always have our must do ADRs reserved, but this is a nice option when you change your mind.

I have been watching the app all this morning (Saturday of Presidents Day Weekend). At the time of park opening for several hours after, many places had “join walk up waitlist” as an option. Around 11:00am this turned to “wait list is at capacity” for 50s prime time, Sci-Fi and a few others, but not all. As I am in the northeast and too far away to join a waitlist, I am *kind of* drawing the conclusion that most places have some availability and some close the list once they hit their max threshold. Also, most places with presumed availability show an estimated wait time. Just looked again (just before noon) and many places in MK are also at capacity on the waitlist.

I've been doing the same for restaurants my cousins weren't able to book as they decided to go to WDW in less than 60 days. I'm hoping we can all meet up for Beaches & Cream after our Epcot day.

I've been doing the same for restaurants my cousins weren't able to book as they decided to go to WDW in less than 60 days. I'm hoping we can all meet up for Beaches & Cream after our Epcot day.

In my “research” it seems that they do not open the walk-up wait list until the restaurant opens. Liberty Tree Tavern at MK showed a 5 minute wait for the first 30 minutes they were open, then the list was at capacity. Tony’s showed waits of up to 55 minutes for the first hour or so. The Plaza had availability for the first 10 minutes then they were full. Everywhere else posted wait list full as soon as they opened, which makes me guess there was no wait list availability. The wait list looks to be how they fill spots that were modified or cancelled at the last minute? Good luck to you on finding Beaches & Cream!

I did it for Chef Mickey's yesterday morning - was at the Contemporary and at 7:30 (when they opened) just kept refreshing and when Walk-up Waitlist popped up I hopped on and was told 5 minutes. I think it was less than that and I was seated.

OTOH, I tried to use it for Kona lunch before my DME pick-up. It said 5 minutes initially, but as soon as I clicked "join" it jumped to 45. So I took myself off that.

Haven’t heard of this???

just looked on app but can’t figure out ‘where’ it is.

Haven’t heard of this???

just looked on app but can’t figure out ‘where’ it is.

you have to select a restaurant you want to eat at, then on the restaurant's MDE page, there's a button at the top that says "join wait list". if you physically too far away from WDW, it will not let you join. If the wait list is full, there will be a red notice on the restaurant's MDE page stating "waitlist is at capacity". Most popular restaurants will have a filled waitlist upon opening as @MDIME mentioned above.

I look forward to reporting back about it next month!

We did this at Nomad Lounge in December. I really appreciated being able to do it in the app instead of having to walk over to the lounge and then find out how long the wait would be and then get on the list for a table and then have to come back in person to check. When we checked the app around 5:30 it said there would be about a 30 minute wait. We joined the waitlist and about 30 minutes later got a text saying our table was ready. We walked over and were seated immediately.

Thanks for sharing, it gives us hope for our trip!

you have to select a restaurant you want to eat at, then on the restaurant's MDE page, there's a button at the top that says "join wait list". if you physically too far away from WDW, it will not let you join. If the wait list is full, there will be a red notice on the restaurant's MDE page stating "waitlist is at capacity". Most popular restaurants will have a filled waitlist upon opening as @MDIME mentioned above.

I look forward to reporting back about it next month!
Thank you, good luck!

Only used mobile dine feature on app for first time last october.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot :)...

where exactly on the app will the restuarants with availability be listed...mobile dining? I’m only see CS offerings there this am.

Last edited:
Thank you, good luck!

Only used mobile dine feature on app for first time last october.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot :)...

where exactly on the app will the restuarants with availability be listed...mobile dining? I’m only see CS offerings there this am.

I’ll try to help! Open your MDE app. On the bottom there are 5 icons: a house, a pin drop, a plus sign with a circle around it, a magnifying glass, and 3 horizontal lines. Click on the pin drop and that will take you to a map. Click “filter” at the top left and select which park or DS that you want to search. Then in the center at the top it defaults to wait times with a drop down icon beside it. Click that then choose “dining”. On the upper right it says “show list”. Click on that. There will then be a list of all dining establishments at that park. If there is no walk up wait list availability, it will say so in red. If it they do have availability, click on that restaurant and then click on the “join walk up list” icon. Hopefully that helps!
edited to add: you do not sound like an idiot ☺️

So how does this work if I want dinner reservations? Do I join the waitlist as soon as it opens? I'm confused how this works if the waitlist is full by 11 a.m.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter