Walk-up wait list strategy?

MDIME

Mouseketeer
Hey! I’m visiting MK on 3/30. I’m hoping to find an ADR for the Plaza. If I am unsuccessful with that, what is the strategy/how-to for joining the walk-up wait list? Should I try to join it on the app as soon as I’m in the park (planning on rope dropping)? How successful have others been with the wait list.. not just for the Plaza but in general? Thanks!

In general if you can't get an ADR they are not going to let you get a walk up reservation or be on a wait list.
Check on the app right up to the last possible second before actually walking up to the restaurant and be prepared to be turned away.

In general if you can't get an ADR they are not going to let you get a walk up reservation or be on a wait list.
Check on the app right up to the last possible second before actually walking up to the restaurant and be prepared to be turned away.
I don’t think you understand.. there is a feature on MDE to join the walk up waitlist for certain restaurants. I’m not just barging up to a restaurant to see if they have availability. This feature on the app is my last resort if I can’t get an ADR right up until the moment I’d like to eat.

Welcome! So many changes, it is so hard to keep up.
good luck!

Just a heads up that the walk up only opens if they have availability. I don't recall ever seeing Plaza open for walk ups, but we were there around the holidays (a busier time). Liberty Tree and occasionally Skippers were allowing people to join the walk up list.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I haven’t read many things about the walk up line at all. Let me post a thread for folks to share their experiences

Just returned this week from our trip. I did the walk up wait list at Ale and Compass at Yacht Club one evening because there were no ADR's available. I got on the list from my resort room and the app said 45 minute wait and that they would notify me when a table was available. At 45 minutes I went ahead to the restaurant to wait for the notification. The man at the entrance said that with early park hours and no fireworks people were lingering over dinner longer lately. I could wait about 15-20 minutes longer or find a seat in the lounge which would serve the full menu. I chose the lounge, because I just wanted that tasty hamburger, but I could have waited to sit in the restaurant. I haven't tried this in the parks. I tried physically walking up to Tony's in July and was turned away. I physically walked up to Brown Derby when not ADR's were available last week and was seated. I always prefer to have a reservation, but sometimes I change my mind about what I have pre-planned, so I like that there is another tool in the app for walk-up wait list. I will probably use it more in the future.

I was staying at BLT on a solo trip and interested in eating at Grand Floridian Cafe. I found a reservation available in the app for about an hour and a half later. That was longer than I had hoped to wait. It appeared that I could join the waitlist as well, but I wasn't in range for that. So, I walked over to the monorail and took a ride over to the Grand Floridan. By the time I got there, the reservation was gone, and so was the option to join the waitlist. Disappointed, I walked up to the desk and asked if I could get a table. They had to write my info down and said they'd try to accommodate me. In the mean time, I walked upstairs and grabbed a drink at the Enchanted Rose. About half an hour later, I did get a text that a table was available. I finished my drink and headed down to enjoy that lobster thermidor burger.

My advice is to look for a reservation. If one is available, you should probably grab it. If it's later than you like, go ahead and take it and then show up at the desk and ask if they can seat you early. I doubt you'll have the opportunity to join a waitlist if a later reservation isn't available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter