• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walk ups to TS

AmandaK

Earning My Ears
What is your experience with walk ups to table service restaurants? Let's say I walked up to Tony's and wanted a table for 4....would they say that is an hour wait or would they turn me away? I personally have all my ADRs set, but I was just wondering about people who don't?

It would depend on the time of year. If you try this during Spring Break or Christmas, they would probably laugh at you. Disney does not hold tables back for walk-ups. So if they are booked, they are booked. It just depends on the whims of fate.

Yes, what the PP said, it simply depends on factors that we can't predict. They could be booked up for the rest of the day or just for an hour or they could have just had a table for 4 cancel or they may be completely empty because of the day you're there. There's really no way to know. We have rarely shown up and asked for a table without a ressie but when we have we have been flexible so if you were to do this I would follow this plan:

Go to any TS restaurant, explain how many are in your party and ask what's available anywhere in the park. Every TS can check for availability at another restaurant in the park. If you are this flexible it's likely you'll have some luck finding a place to eat.

Let me tell you my experience. My DH and I went to Cape May. The place was empty, but they said no availability. We left but it irked me. I called Disney Dining and had no problem getting a table 15 minutes later. We went back and were immediately seated. Try calling as you are walking to the place.

we travel in January, May and September and have found varying patterns with walk-up availability. These are not the busiest times of year, of course...our January trips the parks were extremely quiet & empty. But our May trips have had crowd calendar days of 7s & 8s; September as 5s & 6s.

By far, the most availability was to be found at resort table service restaurants. Maya Grill in January was virtually empty at 6:00 on a Wednesday (and it's a beautiful relaxing restaurant with great food & excellent service.)

I suppose if you're wanting the most popular character meals in the parks at prime meal times it's much more difficult but if you're not there at the Most crowded times of year, and you're flexible about where & when you may be surprised at a number of choices.

Let me tell you my experience. My DH and I went to Cape May. The place was empty, but they said no availability. We left but it irked me. I called Disney Dining and had no problem getting a table 15 minutes later. We went back and were immediately seated. Try calling as you are walking to the place.

True! I did this at Sci Fi a few years ago. I was solo and showed up when they opened for lunch. I was told nothing was available and they were not taking walk ups. I stepped just outside and called. The dining CM asked if I could be there in 10 minutes as she had an opening. I immediately walked back in and the CM behind the counter recognized me and asked why I was back as she had told me five minutes before that they had no openings. I told her I now had a reservation and told her to check. She looked it up, laughed, and said, "How did you do that?". I laughed back and told her it was a DIS Board secret. I had heard of others here on the DIS doing the same thing. I always keep the dining number programmed into my phone in case I want to make changes on the fly when I'm down there. That day it paid off.:rotfl:

So many different factors-but it doesn't hurt to ask. Like PP have said, try calling once you think you want to dine somewhere. I've done something similar at DLR though they have a rule that makes last, last minute ADRS (still called PS there) trickier. You have to call at least 1 hour before. I have been in line at Grizzly Rapids and called for lunch at Wine Country Tratoria. Got PS for one hour and then showed up a little earlier (10 mins. or so) we were seating next. I actually heard one guest who was waiting( walk up) ask "why did they get seated before us? The CM told her we had called ahead. Made me feel :goodvibes.

When we go to WDW in Sept. during free DDP I make at least on ADR for each day full well knowing that some of them will not be kept. (not going into a park that day, etc.) I will call to cancel the ones we aren't keeping and try to make one to replace it. Most times I can get it as long as I am flexible with my times. (We like to eat dinner late anyway). Last Sept. we walked up to WPC about 1:30 for lunch and were seated within 5-10 minutes. Turned out to be our favorite new restaurant that trip! :cloud9: We dined there 2 more times! :laughing:

If you'll have a laptop with you you can access Disney Dining online, for no charge (discovered this after I agreed to $10/day fee). So you can make/change ADRS from the comfort of your room and see what choices are available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter