Walkie-talkies/rental phones?

Brer boy

Mouseketeer
Last year we rented the walkie-talkie cell phones from one of the site sponsors and loved them. My question is has anyone purchased anything like these to use at WDW parks? It sounds like the Motorolas don't have enough power to cover from park to park so not too sure about those. Thanks for any help.
:confused:

HI! I haven'd used them...But I hope someone else can help you. So, I am bumping you up!

Melissa

We have motorolas and they won't work too far out of the park you're in. If you want to talk park to park, you'll probably have to invest in an expensive set. Ours cost $40 each, but we love them for all of our trips. Even when my daughter goes down the street to play she takes one so I can keep track of her.

We just got 2 Cobra's 40 channel radios from Costco for $69 with a $15 rebate. They work very well in the parks and depending on the park you are in sometimes you can contact people in one of the other parks. We were in EPCOT and talked to my BIL at MK. This is much less than renting and you can use them year after year.

Be sure that whatever you get has subchannels. That will keep you from having others on the same channel.

I just had to add my 2 cents here . . . I really find those things annoying! I know that they're great for keeping in touch with family members, but it just seems that everywhere you go now, there are cell phones and walkie talkies. I like to get away from everything while I'm in WDW - especially phones and two way radios as we use them for business!

Sorry, I know it's not the question you asked, I jsut had to add my opinion.;)

I just came back from Disney World and to be honest, I saw very few people
using them down there. I saw more people using cell phones however.
I had bought a pair of Bell walkie talkies and tried to use them in the MK. Unless
my son was doing something wrong, they did not work at all. I could still see him and he
still could not hear me. I ended up leaving them in the room for the rest of the trip

We bought the Motorola talkabout 250. We were very happy with them. We were at MK and my DW was just arriving on the bus and I was in line for Space Mountain and we were able to talk. We also tested the distance at Downtown Disney. She got off the bus at Marketplace and I rode the bus to Disneyquest and was able to talk to her until I entered the building. Also to my suprise we picked a channel and never had crosstalk from other groups. The only thing I wish it had was that it vibrated or had another way to let you know she was trying to get my attention because sometimes if you are not paying attention you don't hear them talking.

I don't have a problem with people using these or cell phones (we use cell phones) but please remember to turn them OFF (not just "down") inside PRESHOWS and ATTRACTIONS. Last time we went a cell phone went off, and went off again, and went off again in the TOT pre-show. People who are not used to these things don't always realize it's theirs that is beeping/ringing/squaking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter